PDA

View Full Version : Trevor no good

TEJAS KIDD
07-16-2008, 08:27 PM
How does he still have a job calling races at the premier tracks..He was great in his day, but his days have passed..
Nice call in the Oceanside..Yet again, Trevor called the wrong horse and didnt call the horse flying up the rail until the final strides...How many more races does he need to screw up before he gets canned...

Marlin
07-16-2008, 09:52 PM
How many more races does he need to screw up before he gets canned...I'll put the over/under at 250,000.

HEADSUP
07-17-2008, 05:45 AM
I'll take OVER

ManeMediaMogul
07-17-2008, 06:25 AM
Give the guy a break.

He probably needed to knock the rust off, having not called a live race since Santa Anita.

Everybody makes mistakes and even the best announcers get tongue-tied once in a while. It is a very tough job.

Tom
07-17-2008, 07:34 AM
Trevor seems to make a lot of big ones......JMHO.

TEJAS KIDD
07-17-2008, 07:45 AM
I know it's a tough job..I wanted to be an announcer 20 years ago but I couldnt do it...but Trevor has lost it...
He works for less than 16 minutes a day and yet he can't remember the names of 80 or so horses...I don't think he can see anymore...He's been going downhill for at least the last 3 seasons at DMR...Time to hand over the mike to a younger racecaller...

It always seems to happen in stakes races, or maybe it's because I'm paying more attention in stakes races....Go back and listen to last years stakes race the GENEROUS PORTION where GOLDEN DOC A won.. and of course the more famous BC JUV when STREET SENSE was 5 in front before he got the call...There's plenty more..

OTM Al
07-17-2008, 09:39 AM
If you think the track callers work only 16 minutes a day you are sorely mistaken. Besides having to prep for the races, many function in marketing and promotion capacities at the track. These are full time jobs when the meet is going and for many, the rest of the year as well.

njcurveball
07-17-2008, 09:46 AM
A good announcer arrives at least an hour before the first race. Most arrive even sooner.

They handicap the card and make notes on who will take the lead, how they think a race will be run, etc.

Around 30 minutes to first post they make note of all the changes and announce them to the crowd. Then they get started on the first race. From about 25 minutes to post to the post parade they practice the call, mark up the program with different colors. Memorize the names and the different silks. Red hat, blue silks, blue hat, red silks, etc.

In between, they have constant interruptions with changes, corrections, stewards asking questions, management calling, promotions needing to be announced, etc.

When the horses hit the track, they start "eyeballing" them. #1 has red and white stripes, #2 has a blue cross. Remember, you cannot call numbers, you need to call names. Relating #1 to Joe's Barbecue and #2 to Joe's Tire Shop is not easy.

As the horses go in the gate they put their "game face" on and practice for the last time. They call the race, announce the prices, and go back on the same schedule for the next race.

socantra
07-17-2008, 10:06 AM
..I wanted to be an announcer 20 years ago but I couldnt do it...but Trevor has lost it...
He works for less than 16 minutes a day and yet he can't remember the names of 80 or so horses...

Maybe you would have done better when you wanted to be an announcer 20 years ago if you had realized it was more than a 16 minute a day job.

sandpit
07-17-2008, 10:31 AM
:lol:Maybe you would have done better when you wanted to be an announcer 20 years ago if you had realized it was more than a 16 minute a day job.

JustRalph
07-17-2008, 10:59 AM
I bet Vic dropped in here and read this thread............... and threw another computer monitor out his window............ :lol: :lol:

Steady Vic!!!

Fingal
07-17-2008, 11:13 AM
Every time I hear Trevor's no good, I think of the possible alternatives. :eek: :faint:

Ya gotta be kidding.:lol:

Bruddah
07-17-2008, 12:23 PM
made a difference in the outcome of a race, I could see us bettors going to buy "new rope" to hang them. However, a slip made calling the race " on the fly" hasn't damaged a darn thing. It only momentarily irritates you. Get over it.

If you can't do another man's job, never complain about the outcome. Just wait a minute before yo tear up your ticket. :rolleyes: :D

ranchwest
07-17-2008, 12:41 PM
I never know whether Trevor is making a mistake or not.

toetoe
07-17-2008, 02:22 PM
I pay TDen the compliment of a higher standard. :ThmbUp:

HEADSUP
07-18-2008, 02:30 AM
I bet Vic dropped in here and read this thread............... and threw another computer monitor out his window............ :lol: :lol:

Steady Vic!!!

now this was a great post.........I have been LMAO for 10 minutes.....16 min a day would qualify as the 2nd best laugh on this thread

FlyinLate
07-18-2008, 03:32 PM
I'm starting to get sick of these Trevor Denman sucks threads. He was a great race caller and still is. Human error is something that happens, and yes maybe his age is getting to him a bit but I would take his 8 great calls for his 1 bad race call.

Some people act like it is so crucial that if he calls the wrong winner then they lose the race. It doesn't change the outcome or your money. Yes it is frustrating, but deal with it. Would you rather have a monotone robot do it flawlessesly while putting the crowd to sleep?

Imriledup
08-09-2009, 03:20 AM
Botched the Bing.

Speed Figure
08-09-2009, 03:38 AM
The man is human! when he wakes up in the morning, his breath stinks just like everyone else's! he makes mistakes. No one is prefect!!

Imriledup
08-09-2009, 05:01 AM
The man is human! when he wakes up in the morning, his breath stinks just like everyone else's! he makes mistakes. No one is prefect!!

One mistake once in a while, forgivable. Four mistakes in a 6 furlong race with a 5 horse field? I don't know about that.

He's getting paid big bucks to get it right.

smartybadger
08-09-2009, 06:52 AM
After spending a weekend at Monmouth, and after listening to some of his calls in the big races at Gulfstream, I am convinced that Larry Collmus is the most underappreciated announcer (and maybe the best) in the sport. He is just flawless, and is in the midst of his prime. Also, speaking of showing up early, he does a handicapping show with Thomas Cassidy about an hour before the races begin, so you know he prepares as well as anyone.

AQUEBUCKS
08-09-2009, 07:22 AM
Let's see how Bobby Flay does today at Toga'

delayjf
08-09-2009, 12:47 PM
He probably needed to knock the rust off, having not called a live race since Santa Anita.

I think the above is his biggest problem - he takes a vacation between SA and DMR. Recall he was roundly critized after he called the Breeders Cup which he did after a layoff following the DMR meet. Agree about Larry Colmus and I would throw Vic into that mix as well, and for a truely unique call listen to Michael Wrona - he can really bust my onions some times. :lol:

andymays
08-09-2009, 12:53 PM
Trevor hasn't had any game for years!

We need trakus (gps computer generated race calling) for accuracy!

Use Vic Stauffers voice of course!

fmolf
08-09-2009, 02:02 PM
After spending a weekend at Monmouth, and after listening to some of his calls in the big races at Gulfstream, I am convinced that Larry Collmus is the most underappreciated announcer (and maybe the best) in the sport. He is just flawless, and is in the midst of his prime. Also, speaking of showing up early, he does a handicapping show with Thomas Cassidy about an hour before the races begin, so you know he prepares as well as anyone.
Larry Collmus should be the announcer at churchill now!I like Durkin a little better but i am an native long islander so i am partial of course...even he is getting older and making more mistakes than ever!No reason to can a legend!Same as Denman.It's just not that important in my estimation.

macguy
08-09-2009, 02:38 PM
I always thought that race calling didn't look like it was all that hard.
Turns out, it's the majority of good race callers that make the job look very easy.

I tried it myself with replays on the computer with the sound off, it's a hell of a lot tougher than it looks. Remembering what silks go with what horses was the hardest part for me.

BUD
08-09-2009, 04:05 PM
We should get the info of the fella in the gate with the horse--Say loe G 1 in Gate 1 he stays there for each race same with every gate worker--

Then when our life is so effen smooth we have more fodder to bitch about--The effen gate guy in 4 he sucks- 2 well meant horsed had terrible starts and I Know its his fault---

Perfect fodder to add more bull Sh1t to our lives and more people to throw under the bus and when they get run over we can tell them how much they suck--

perfect--See I lied I only got into the horse race game to bitch about that--The wife and kids? Bitchin' about them got stale..

FTW!!

elhelmete
08-09-2009, 04:34 PM
I felt lucky to have Collmus at Suffolk (my former home track) for a while, he is certainly one of the best.

I visited Trevor up in his perch at SA last spring and his preparation is extensive. I was particularly surprised/impressed by his collection of dictionaries, which he says he uses not just for pronounciation, but also to try and figure out the meaning behind some names.

Can't say that I know what's behind his sometime propensity to miscall a race, though.

cj
08-09-2009, 07:52 PM
A good announcer arrives at least an hour before the first race. Most arrive even sooner.

They handicap the card and make notes on who will take the lead, how they think a race will be run, etc.

Around 30 minutes to first post they make note of all the changes and announce them to the crowd. Then they get started on the first race. From about 25 minutes to post to the post parade they practice the call, mark up the program with different colors. Memorize the names and the different silks. Red hat, blue silks, blue hat, red silks, etc.

In between, they have constant interruptions with changes, corrections, stewards asking questions, management calling, promotions needing to be announced, etc.

When the horses hit the track, they start "eyeballing" them. #1 has red and white stripes, #2 has a blue cross. Remember, you cannot call numbers, you need to call names. Relating #1 to Joe's Barbecue and #2 to Joe's Tire Shop is not easy.

As the horses go in the gate they put their "game face" on and practice for the last time. They call the race, announce the prices, and go back on the same schedule for the next race.

Having been in the booth many a race day with a few different announcers, I will say it is very rare for them to spend more than a few minutes on the post parade and the warm up memorizing the horses.

I'm not knocking the job, it is tough for sure and a lot goes on behind the scenes as you mention. But once these guys have some experience, memorizing the horses isn't very hard for them. I would say of the 25 minutes or so between races, maybe five is spent on that part.

BUD
08-09-2009, 08:32 PM
Wow when I feel like dung Almost always.....I can't write for Nuthin'

I just tried to read some of my post' wholee $t

jballscalls
08-10-2009, 11:12 AM
Having been in the booth many a race day with a few different announcers, I will say it is very rare for them to spend more than a few minutes on the post parade and the warm up memorizing the horses.

I'm not knocking the job, it is tough for sure and a lot goes on behind the scenes as you mention. But once these guys have some experience, memorizing the horses isn't very hard for them. I would say of the 25 minutes or so between races, maybe five is spent on that part.

This is probably more accurate than the previous post. The first couple weeks of a meet, more time is spent memorizing, but after you've called the horses before, it literally takes a second to memorize. I am a serial memorizer and find that i rarely miss a name,and i probably memorize for 5 to 6 minutes.

there certainly is more work going on than 16 minutes a day. but there is plenty of downtime as well. You'll notice most of the announcers that post on here, will post between races LOL

bdownes
08-10-2009, 01:27 PM
On the memory stuff, if its a field of horses that I have seen before then it takes just a couple minutes. If its a field of newcomers then it takes me alot longer. There are days at Beulah Park in the winter where I have literally 90 seconds to see the horses from the time they come onto the track til they are loading in the gate. I am a guy who needs to match up what I have on my program to what I see on the track. There are some guys who just memorize what they see on the track.

46zilzal
08-10-2009, 01:33 PM
Want to experience unbelievable callers, just view the calls on Arc weekend or a big Newmarket or Cheltenham meeting where the callers get 14 to 20 horse fields correct. BBC callers are remarkable.

BobbyMcMuffin
08-10-2009, 02:39 PM
What bothers me about Trevor is it seems he misjudges the early pace like all the time which totally throws me off at first. Especially when it takes the 1/4 time forever to pop up on the screen. For example on a 1-1/16 race. He'll say "Oh and they cant be going any quicker" or "They are flying up front" and its like 24.50 for the 1st 1/4. Or he'll say "they are crawling up front" and its 23.50. Thats my one and only beef.

post time
08-10-2009, 02:44 PM
If i bet the winner .I dont care what name he calls

Imriledup
08-10-2009, 03:42 PM
What bothers me about Trevor is it seems he misjudges the early pace like all the time which totally throws me off at first. Especially when it takes the 1/4 time forever to pop up on the screen. For example on a 1-1/16 race. He'll say "Oh and they cant be going any quicker" or "They are flying up front" and its like 24.50 for the 1st 1/4. Or he'll say "they are crawling up front" and its 23.50. Thats my one and only beef.

One of the peeves i have with him is when he says its 'suddenly wide open' in his call. That indicates to me that it wasn't wide open at the top of the stretch and then a few seconds later, it became wide open?

The main problem with Trevor is that he's not a modern announcer, modern announcers are in the Twitter, Facebook, Myspace, etc age. They know what's going on outside the horseracing world, Trevor is still in the 1970s, he calls races like he's never heard of a computer, would have no idea what Twitter or Facebook is either. When Vic used an NBA basketball reference in his Zenyatta wins 11 call as the real zen master, there's no way Trevor would have done that. In fact, i doubt he even knows the Lakers won the NBA title.

Old School calls are good if you can actually pronounce the names of the horses correctly, that shouldn't be hard in a 5 horse field.

46zilzal
08-10-2009, 03:44 PM
What do Websites have to do with race calling? NADA

One reports what happens exclusive of ANYTHING else

toetoe
08-10-2009, 07:46 PM
would have no idea what Twitter or Facebook is ... Vic used an NBA basketball reference ... there's no way Trevor would have done that.

YES. Two things I LOVE about Trevor which slipped my mind. Thank God !!!! (:On knees, arms reaching to the heavens.) :jump:

toetoe
08-10-2009, 07:48 PM
Some boardmates --- I am not among them --- may be thinking right now, "Imriledup needs to have a take and not suck." :rolleyes:

Imriledup
08-10-2009, 07:59 PM
Some boardmates --- I am not among them --- may be thinking right now, "Imriledup needs to have a take and not suck." :rolleyes:

I just have to not get Knocked out, lit up or smoked and i'll be alright!:lol:

v j stauffer
08-11-2009, 12:37 AM
Listening to Trevor Denman everyday is such a pleasure. As a kid growing up in San Diego I was fortunate enough to hear some of the greats in many sports.

Vin Scully, Chick Hearn, Bob Miller, Dick Enberg, Harry Henson and the great Trevor Denman.

Trevor is synonymous with great races and great racing.

v j stauffer
08-11-2009, 12:46 AM
Want to experience unbelievable callers, just view the calls on Arc weekend or a big Newmarket or Cheltenham meeting where the callers get 14 to 20 horse fields correct. BBC callers are remarkable.

There are 15 or more callers here in North America that would be as good or better any of those guys over there.

Give us the same fields and raceshapes over here and we'd ace the calls.

BombsAway Bob
08-11-2009, 12:58 AM
Listening to Trevor Denman everyday is such a pleasure. As a kid growing up in San Diego I was fortunate enough to hear some of the greats in many sports.
Vin Scully, Chick Hearn, Bob Miller, Dick Enberg, Harry Henson and the great Trevor Denman.
Trevor is synonymous with great races and great racing.
Between an earlier post to Trevor being "..so 1970's" , & Vic's sports announcers flashback,
it got me thinking about sports announcers I loved listening to growing up:
Curt Gowdy * Fred Cusick * Johnny Most * Ned Martin * Jim Hannon *
Keith Jackson(everything ABC) * Don Dunphy(Boxing) * & Don Gillis (Candlepin Bowling)...

owlet
08-11-2009, 01:53 PM
He's bored. He senses how far the game has fallen. Why should he try too hard?

Imriledup
09-19-2009, 09:09 PM
If its a 'two horse race' shouldn't one of those two win?

*scratching head*

trying2win
09-21-2009, 03:07 AM
A couple of examples from both ends of the race announcing spectrum:

I like the race calls of Trevor Denman.

However, I don't like the race calls of Mike Battaglia http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/107.gif

T2W

Imriledup
10-18-2009, 05:41 PM
Its pronounced RON BOB AND DAVE

dave the horseman
10-18-2009, 07:34 PM
It's not easy for sure, I just had to do a "nite at the races" The tape has Larry Colmus on it, but the sound system wasnt available...So I called the race on a bullhorn. Try it before you knock it....all in all these guys do a great job. I am a professional entertainer and for sure, it requires a unique skill.

Some of my favorites

I enjoy Frank at Turf Paradise and the fair meets, he makes a 2500 claimer seem like the Kentucky Derby

Vic puts a lot of passion into the calls, you can feel him pumping his fists when Zenyatta won. Or .."'All I can say is ...WOW"

And at home here at the Pha, Keith Jones does a more than adequate job.
But I grew up listening to his calls so I guess Im Partial.

Durkin has his moments for sure, but has too many clunkers mixed in IMHO.

Trevor may miss one, but who doesnt. But he OWNS "..And away they go!"

maxwell
10-18-2009, 08:25 PM
I never know whether Trevor is making a mistake or not.

It's all Greek to both of us.

I like the guy. He brings high energy to the table. Leave my buddy alone! :)

Run Nicholas Run
10-18-2009, 09:09 PM
I have been very steady in this debate since 1984.
I always disliked the foreign announcers and denman
has been one I never cared for.

Scraping paint,
Coming on the grandstand side,
like a duck takes to water,
are some of his signature sayings, and they are weak.

I rather listen to:
Sam Mckee
Boomer Wry
Ken Warkinton
Keith Jones
Larry Colmus

And calling a race isnt that hard.
I used to call for my friends at aqueduct
before the sound system was redone before the
breeders cup in 85, and I was complimented
one time bu a fan who asked of I had a radio
and told him no it was just me.

Greyfox
10-18-2009, 11:31 PM
Trevor Denman...:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

boomman
10-18-2009, 11:52 PM
[QUOTE=Run Nicholas Run]I have been very steady in this debate since 1984.
I always disliked the foreign announcers and denman
has been one I never cared for.

Scraping paint,
Coming on the grandstand side,
like a duck takes to water,
are some of his signature sayings, and they are weak.

I rather listen to:
Sam Mckee
Boomer Wry
Ken Warkinton
Keith Jones
Larry Colmus

Run: Thanks for the compliment and that's some great company you have me included in there! I'm honored...............:)

Boomer

Indian Charlie
10-19-2009, 01:47 AM
I can't begin to tell you how disappointing it is to see so many critics of Trevor Denman in this thread. Trevor is the greatest race caller ever.

Period.

He paints a visual picture that goes unmatched. He can anticipate the outcome. He has a distinct, wonderful voice. He is real - not contrived like the majority.

Unfortunately, we live in a market-based, dumb-down culture, where people follow like sheep - minus any independent thought whatsoever.

Threads like this almost make me want to never visit this site again.

Baa.

CBedo
10-19-2009, 05:00 AM
I can't begin to tell you how disappointing it is to see so many critics of Trevor Denman in this thread. Trevor is the greatest race caller ever.

Period.

He paints a visual picture that goes unmatched. He can anticipate the outcome. He has a distinct, wonderful voice. He is real - not contrived like the majority.

Unfortunately, we live in a market-based, dumb-down culture, where people follow like sheep - minus any independent thought whatsoever.

Threads like this almost make me want to never visit this site again.

Baa.Judging the nature of your contributions here at PA to date, I don't think it would be a big loss for most of us if you didn't.

You are the one who talks about people who don't have opinions of their own and follow like sheep, but when a topic comes up that is clearly subjective and people do express their own thoughts, you jump on them for doing it. I guess that like you mentioned in an earlier post of yours -- "you're just a complainer."

craigbraddick
10-19-2009, 11:24 AM
Hi cbedo!

Of course Indian Charlie's logic is slightly skewered by the fact Trevor has said many times he thinks Jim McGrath (Aussie in UK) is the best racecaller.

My favorite US based Racecallers (in no particular order) are:
Keith Jones
Peter Berry
Robert Geller
John Dooley

If you ever watch racing in the UK my favorite callers are:
Lee McKenzie
Richard Hoiles
Darren Owen

I think every racecaller has his fans and detractors!

Craig.

CBedo
10-19-2009, 01:47 PM
Anyone who could call races from the top of that roof at Arapahoe without blowing away has to make my list! ;) Hopefully, you'll be back again this summer Craig!

46zilzal
10-19-2009, 01:54 PM
If you really want to hear GOOD information put into a NAUSEATING style, then you have to elect Rick Upall at Fraser Downs as KING.

I have to listen to this guy 12 to 14 times a night as he is right next door to me and would be loud enough even IF he had no microphone!

He even outshouts the stewards on the intercom to my desk.

Bruddah
10-19-2009, 02:14 PM
Judging the nature of your contributions here at PA to date, I don't think it would be a big loss for most of us if you didn't.

You are the one who talks about people who don't have opinions of their own and follow like sheep, but when a topic comes up that is clearly subjective and people do express their own thoughts, you jump on them for doing it. I guess that like you mentioned in an earlier post of yours -- "you're just a complainer."

Darn it Cbedo you took the words right out of my mouth and off the keyboard. Here's a big AMEN Bruddah for you. :ThmbUp: I couldn't have expressed it better, unless I told him Adios M F and don't let the horse kick you in the seat of the pants when you leave. :lol:

P.S. Indian Charlie, all the above was my independent thought. :D

Bochall
10-19-2009, 03:06 PM
Sorry to pile on Trevor but I am not a fan either, for 2 major reasons: 1) he picks out a horse making a nice move and decides thats his boy for the rest of the race, giving him undo attention in his race call...he is often wrong about the horse "just flying up on the outside", and 2) the Aussie accent...sorry. Maybe Trevor was the first but now we've got Wrona and MANY others who just chaffe my balls with their voices...cant even listen to them. Ofcourse Durkin has gotten a lil too big for his britches in NY (a la Chris Berman on ESPN who thinks the highlights are about how he says them and not what actually happened)...he missed MTB badly in the Derby. Was it he or Denman who blew it with Street Sense in the BC Juv, not picking him up until way too late? At any rate, Durkin has made a spectacle of himself in NY a couple of times this year. We all know his calls on Arrrrrgh! and Doremifasolatido...both WAY over the top IMO. Gimme Dave Rodman in Maryland over all of 'em.

craigbraddick
10-19-2009, 04:16 PM
Anyone who could call races from the top of that roof at Arapahoe without blowing away has to make my list! ;) Hopefully, you'll be back again this summer Craig!

Thank you, Sir! I remember the day you visited. It was quite freaky, sunny, 80 degrees and blowing 80mph across the high prairie!

I will be back in 2010, God Willing!

Craig.

craigbraddick
10-19-2009, 04:20 PM
Sorry to pile on Trevor but I am not a fan either, for 2 major reasons: 1) he picks out a horse making a nice move and decides thats his boy for the rest of the race, giving him undo attention in his race call...he is often wrong about the horse "just flying up on the outside", and 2) the Aussie accent...sorry. Maybe Trevor was the first but now we've got Wrona and MANY others who just chaffe my balls with their voices...cant even listen to them. Ofcourse Durkin has gotten a lil too big for his britches in NY (a la Chris Berman on ESPN who thinks the highlights are about how he says them and not what actually happened)...he missed MTB badly in the Derby. Was it he or Denman who blew it with Street Sense in the BC Juv, not picking him up until way too late? At any rate, Durkin has made a spectacle of himself in NY a couple of times this year. We all know his calls on Arrrrrgh! and Doremifasolatido...both WAY over the top IMO. Gimme Dave Rodman in Maryland over all of 'em.

Maybe your issue is the fact you cannot discern a strong South African accent from several Australian ones? Besides being from the same hemisphere, they really do not have much in common.

Craig.

Imriledup
10-19-2009, 04:34 PM

True.

Good post.

He does select 'his boy' from the back of the pack and gives you the 'absolutely flying' call, even if they are cheap maidens where no one is actually flying (just a case of a weary closer passing a more weary speedster)

He's dreadful with Photos, he misses at least 1 per day by my count.

He missed one yesterday in the feature race that i clearly called from my sofa. The horse's name was Panda and if you are an experienced racewatcher, you know that horse got a bob.

46zilzal
10-19-2009, 04:50 PM
Starting with Hernandez calling George Royal's last race, there was an automatic shut off installed on the PA so the caller could not verbally call a very close finish for fear that the race organization would be calling out the wrogn horse. Don't know when they stopped that GOOD idea.

Imriledup
10-19-2009, 05:00 PM
Starting with Hernandez calling George Royal's last race, there was an automatic shut off installed on the PA so the caller could not verbally call a very close finish for fear that the race organization would be calling out the wrogn horse. Don't know when they stopped that GOOD idea.

If you are going to call photos its a good idea to be right once in a while.

46zilzal
10-19-2009, 05:02 PM
If you are going to call photos its a good idea to be right once in a while.
I take photos for a living. I am RIGHT on the finish line. Both the stewards and myself MISS quite a few that the digital camera catches. Within that vast experience is one thing for sure: the camera has a better view than ANY observer and since that is a FACT, the caller should not say one way or the other is the winner......EVER

Imriledup
10-19-2009, 05:06 PM
I take photos for a living. I am RIGHT on the finish line. Both the stewards and myself MISS quite a few that the digital camera catches. Within that vast experience is one thing for sure: the camera has a better view than ANY observer and since that is a FACT, the caller should not say one way of the other is the winner......EVER

I agree.

wisconsin
10-19-2009, 05:29 PM
Thank you, Sir! I remember the day you visited. It was quite freaky, sunny, 80 degrees and blowing 80mph across the high prairie!

I will be back in 2010, God Willing!

Craig.

Craig,

It was a good thing I was with you the day before! Can I do your show again next summer?

craigbraddick
10-19-2009, 05:31 PM
I disagree with the previous poster. It really all depends on the angle of the Booth.

At Arapahoe Park the booth is above the photo finish camera right on the line. I called 2 photos wrong in about 400 races. Still two too many (and this included a couple of hundred Quarter Races) but the many I did get right, I hope added to the thrill of those who wagered on the winner.

At Charles Town, anything within a head I call a a photo as the angle is lower down and set back from the winning post. Set back is also an issue at Turfway, although you do have the help of being higher up. At Churchill where I used to practice, I was the other side of the winning line and really had no clue so would just call it a photo.

I just go with the gut instinct and thankfully the hit rate is pretty good!

Craig

craigbraddick
10-19-2009, 05:32 PM
Sure, it was great to have you and you are always welcome to make a repeat performance!

Craig

Peter Berry
10-19-2009, 05:44 PM
I take photos for a living. I am RIGHT on the finish line. Both the stewards and myself MISS quite a few that the digital camera catches. Within that vast experience is one thing for sure: the camera has a better view than ANY observer and since that is a FACT, the caller should not say one way or the other is the winner......EVER

When did tracks start paying out on what the announcer called?

boomman
10-19-2009, 05:58 PM

Pete: They dont as far as I know!:D And as far as "calling photos" I have an excellent vantage point at Yavapai Downs and have had many race fans over the years express their appreciation for my making an attempt at calling the winner whenever possible. If I'm not sure (and quarter horse races can be extremely tough at times) I will say "looks like so and so" or if they're head bobbing on the wire I'll say that too. I even have the occasion at times to say "too close to call" and that usually happens when it would simply be a guess to call the winner which I don't want to do. I pride myself in giving the fans something they can count on, and as far as announcers NEVER calling a photo? I think that would be a copout and a disservice to the racefan. JMHO....................

Boomer

Imriledup
10-19-2009, 05:58 PM

A wrong announcer call is the same as if your buddy slaps you on the back and says "you won, you got it" and then you lose.

It doesnt affect the payouts, but do you really need another human getting your hopes up like that and then having them dashed to bits?

craigbraddick
10-19-2009, 06:04 PM
Pete: They dont as far as I know!:D And as far as "calling photos" I have an excellent vantage point at Yavapai Downs and have had many race fans over the years express their appreciation for my making an attempt at calling the winner whenever possible. If I'm not sure (and quarter horse races can be extremely tough at times) I will say "looks like so and so" or if they're head bobbing on the wire I'll say that too. I even have the occasion at times to say "too close to call" and that usually happens when it would simply be a guess to call the winner which I don't want to do. I pride myself in giving the fans something they can count on, and as far as announcers NEVER calling a photo? I think that would be a copout and a disservice to the racefan. JMHO....................

Boomer

With you there, Boomer! Just practicing from a good position on a day in day out basis really sharpens those skills. One that still throws me is when a horse is inbetween (but clearly behind) the other two in the photo, there I may bail out a bit more. Strangely, I have been going back in time on racing day to hear your calls. Hope I am that good one of these days!

Craig.

craigbraddick
10-19-2009, 06:05 PM
A wrong announcer call is the same as if your buddy slaps you on the back and says "you won, you got it" and then you lose.

It doesnt affect the payouts, but do you really need another human getting your hopes up like that and then having them dashed to bits?

I see your point but there is nothing to stop you from looking at the race either and deciding for yourself. I know when doing radio calls, one is expected to make a call on the photo and expect a bollocking when it goes wrong!

Craig.

andymays
10-19-2009, 06:07 PM
Not that you guys want to hear this but has anyone tried to use trakus and a computer generated race call?

Or should I shut up? ;)

craigbraddick
10-19-2009, 06:09 PM
Not that you guys want to hear this but has anyone tried to use trakus and a computer generated race call?

Or should I shut up? ;)

LOL! Some would say the computers are less annoying and have more agreeable personalities!

Just hope the blue screen of death doesn't pounce on you when they reach the quarter pole!!! ;)

Craig.

46zilzal
10-19-2009, 06:10 PM
’ A long, long time ago, the famous horse racing and boxing announcer Clem McCarthy took a lot of heat for calling the wrong name of the Preakness Stakes winner. Some other famous announcer-- the story was generally credited to Bill Stern--tried to console McCarthy and advised him to change the horse’s name on the air if he ever got into a Preakness situation again. McCarthy told him that “You can’t lateral horses.”

He was eventually fired for that mistake as many bookies paid off

Peter Berry
10-19-2009, 06:12 PM

The escape clause here is that announcers might not be human.

Peter Berry
10-19-2009, 06:18 PM
’ A long, long time ago, the famous horse racing and boxing announcer Clem McCarthy took a lot of heat for calling the wrong name of the Preakness Stakes winner. Some other famous announcer-- the story was generally credited to Bill Stern--tried to console McCarthy and advised him to change the horse’s name on the air if he ever got into a Preakness situation again. McCarthy told him that “You can’t lateral horses.”

He was eventually fired for that mistake as many bookies paid off

He was fired because illegal bookies paid off on the mistake?

46zilzal
10-19-2009, 06:19 PM
That was PART of it, but imagine calling the wrong winner of any sport toady when that much $$$$$$ was wagered on it and there were NO parallel sources of information like we have today.

From the radio hall of fame website: "One of his best known racing calls, the 1947 Preakness, ended with a famous mistake. McCarthy called a horse named Jet Pilot the winner, instead of the actual victor, Faultless, because crowds were blocking his view, and both horses carried red racing silks. Jet Pilot finished out of the money entirely. McCarthy, in his raspy voice stated, "Ladies and Gentlemen, I have made a horrible mistake. Babe Ruth struck out. Today I did the same. I am in distinguished company."

46zilzal
10-19-2009, 06:38 PM
You have to remember that ON TRACK bookies were only ruled off in the early 40's

Peter Berry
10-19-2009, 06:41 PM
You have to remember that ON TRACK bookies were only ruled off in the early 40's

Surely the on-track bookies wouldn't pay off before the race was made official, or would they?

46zilzal
10-19-2009, 06:42 PM
Surely the on-track bookies wouldn't pay off before the race was made official, or would they?
Since there were none in 1947 I doubt it. Radio was gospel in those days as the prime informational source.

Peter Berry
10-19-2009, 06:45 PM
Eventually there'll be no live track announcers, anyway, so it's a moot point. The Trakus system will include a digitized voice and he'll NEVER get a photo wrong. He'll even correctly call dead-heats.

46zilzal
10-19-2009, 06:55 PM
Eventually there'll be no live track announcers, anyway, so it's a moot point. The Trakus system will include a digitized voice and he'll NEVER get a photo wrong. He'll even correctly call dead-heats.
Since the RF transmission comes from the saddle cloth just how will that be possible?

In the hundreds and hundreds of photos I have sent to the stewards, the bodies of relative horses often do not coordinate with the position of the nose.

Peter Berry
10-19-2009, 06:59 PM
Since the RF transmission comes from the saddle cloth just how will that be possible?

In the hundreds and hundreds of photos I have sent to the stewards, the bodies of relative horses often do not coordinate with the position of the nose.

There'll be a chip in the horse's nose, which will also serve for identification.

46zilzal
10-19-2009, 07:01 PM
There'll be a chip in the horse's nose, which will also serve for identification.
I was told that there are SIGNIFICANT problems with drift and scarring in that technology that are no where near ready for wholesale use

Peter Berry
10-19-2009, 07:09 PM
The announcing community dodges another bullet.

But they remain on borrowed time.

macdiarmida
10-19-2009, 07:25 PM
46zilzal wrote:
Want to experience unbelievable callers, just view the calls on Arc weekend or a big Newmarket or Cheltenham meeting where the callers get 14 to 20 horse fields correct. BBC callers are remarkable.But Americans apparently hate the call of the complete order of finish. I think they don't want to hear that their pick finished 12th.:D Most of the import announcers have done that on occasion to a chorus of complaints.

Peter Berry wrote:
There'll be a chip in the horse's nose, which will also serve for identification.Can't do it, I think. The agricultural ID chip goes in the major neck tendon in horses so it doesn't float around like has happened with cats getting ID chips. Aside from that, someone (like me) would think about blocking the signal to/from the nose chip and put the chip in the tip of the jock's whip. Have the jock wave the stick underhand at the wire as they do to urge the horse anyway. Five-foot long sticks and jocks with long arms might become the norm.:p

No votes for Mr. Absolute Silence, the former traditional track announcer at KEE (IIRC)?

Peter Berry
10-19-2009, 07:34 PM
Minor changes will be made to the rules. The winner is decided when any part of the horse or jockey hits the wire. Whips will not enter the equation. They will be universally banned within a few years. Can there be any doubt about that?

Peter Berry
10-19-2009, 07:35 PM
No votes for Mr. Absolute Silence, the former traditional track announcer at KEE (IIRC)?

Marcel Marceau never went the wrong way in a photo.

macdiarmida
10-19-2009, 07:40 PM
Peter Berry wrote:
Marcel Marceau never went the wrong way in a photo. :lol:
I also loved it when he told us a jock was boxed in.

Peter Berry
10-19-2009, 07:41 PM
Classic.

Indian Charlie
10-19-2009, 09:53 PM
"He revolutionized race calling in this country," says veteran handicapper Jeff Siegel. "Before he came here from South Africa, race callers simply gave you the horse and the margin that horse was in front or behind, as if they were reading off a race chart. Trevor told you how the race was developing."

--------

And as famed thoroughbred trainer Bob Baffert puts it, "His calls give me goose bumps."

andymays
10-19-2009, 09:59 PM
"He revolutionized race calling in this country," says veteran handicapper Jeff Siegel. "Before he came here from South Africa, race callers simply gave you the horse and the margin that horse was in front or behind, as if they were reading off a race chart. Trevor told you how the race was developing."

--------

And as famed thoroughbred trainer Bob Baffert puts it, "His calls give me goose bumps."

He was as good as it gets the first 4 years he was here. After that, whether it's his eyes or whatever he doesn't do a good job in my opinion. He calls the wrong horses, he calls the pace fast when it's slow and slow when it's fast.

plainolebill
10-19-2009, 10:48 PM
.....He calls the wrong horses, he calls the pace fast when it's slow and slow when it's fast.

I can agree with that, 'just got an easy lead out there, no pressure at all, got his ears pricked' (getting a 46 second half in a 10f turf race. :D )

He can lose the gate information too: so and so going in, etc.; just a bunch of irritating noise. How bout' 'their all in the gate' or 'the flag is up'.

PaceAdvantage
10-19-2009, 11:47 PM
The announcing community dodges another bullet.

But they remain on borrowed time.I laughed! :lol:

PaceAdvantage
10-19-2009, 11:48 PM

--------

And as famed thoroughbred trainer Bob Baffert puts it, "His calls give me goose bumps."I'm not sure that's exactly true. When did Trevor start calling here in the states?

boomman
10-19-2009, 11:58 PM
With you there, Boomer! Just practicing from a good position on a day in day out basis really sharpens those skills. One that still throws me is when a horse is in between (but clearly behind) the other two in the photo, there I may bail out a bit more. Strangely, I have been going back in time on racing day to hear your calls. Hope I am that good one of these days!

Craig.

Thanks Craig! Nice words and I wish you nothing but the best!

Boomer

Bochall
10-20-2009, 12:05 AM
Maybe your issue is the fact you cannot discern a strong South African accent from several Australian ones? Besides being from the same hemisphere, they really do not have much in common.

Craig. Besides being from the same hemisphere they also have similar accents in common. My bad, they do sound similar, esp when calling a race! Their citizens also like to dress in those brown Ranger Rick outfits with a hat that has one side folded up...ya know man?

v j stauffer
10-20-2009, 01:33 AM

There has NEVER been an automatic shut off at any racetrack at any time.:bang:

castaway01
10-20-2009, 09:13 AM
I'm not sure that's exactly true. When did Trevor start calling here in the states?

rastajenk
10-20-2009, 03:46 PM
If you really want to hear GOOD information put into a NAUSEATING style, then you have to elect Rick Upall at Fraser Downs as KING.

I have to listen to this guy 12 to 14 times a night as he is right next door to me and would be loud enough even IF he had no microphone!

He even outshouts the stewards on the intercom to my desk.When I asked a couple weeks ago what your function at a track is, you said you were a photographer that took horse-racing pix. Now you're up on the roof with the announcer and the stewards taking the photofinish strip and telling us there used to be an automatic shut-off. What's the real truth, not the one in that cozy corner of the universe you call your mind?

46zilzal
10-20-2009, 04:32 PM
When I asked a couple weeks ago what your function at a track is, you said you were a photographer that took horse-racing pix. Now you're up on the roof with the announcer and the stewards taking the photofinish strip and telling us there used to be an automatic shut-off. What's the real truth, not the one in that cozy corner of the universe you call your mind?
PHOTO FINISH at the harness races, Paddock and winner's circle camera at the thoroughbreds.

MANY of my photographs appear in racing journals and T-bred articles

jballscalls
10-20-2009, 08:38 PM
Friggin Teide, i was all over him in the LGA mile!

strapper
10-21-2009, 12:25 PM
You're right, the Brits are good but so are the Aussies. The depth in American announcing not as deep. As far as Trevor Denman, anybody can make a mistake now and then. Denman's voice is distinctive and easy on the ears.

46zilzal
10-21-2009, 12:27 PM
You're right, the Brits are good but so are the Aussies. The depth in American announcing not as deep. As far as Trevor Denman, anybody can make a mistake now and then. Denman's voice is distinctive and easy on the ears.
yes they are

iceknight
06-26-2012, 04:11 PM
Five-foot long sticks and jocks with long arms might become the norm.:p
isn't that "jousting"? :lol: oh crap, there I go.. replying to a super old thread.. sorry chaps!

Al Gobbi
07-19-2012, 11:34 PM
Race 7 today at DMR:

Trevor says "Sean S won it...". Lindz Winz wins the photo.

PaceAdvantage
07-20-2012, 02:00 AM
Race 7 today at DMR:

Trevor says "Sean S won it...". Lindz Winz wins the photo.OFF WITH HIS HEAD! :lol:

cj
07-20-2012, 09:38 AM
OFF WITH HIS HEAD! :lol:

Of course not, but it was a brutal call. Not only did he get the photo wrong, he said the winner was finished earlier. I would prefer he call the action, not his opinion of what is going to happen.

cj
07-20-2012, 09:42 AM
It was "Lindz Winz can find no more"...

Exotic1
07-20-2012, 10:41 AM
Of course not, but it was a brutal call. Not only did he get the photo wrong, he said the winner was finished earlier. I would prefer he call the action, not his opinion of what is going to happen.

Exactly.

"not his opinion of what is going to happen". Or what the announcer thinks is happening. If I want editorial I go to the Op-Ed page.

Brutal call and I like Trevor's calls generally. BTW, Cj had the #5 as the fastest horse so the call was that much worse.

v j stauffer
07-20-2012, 11:39 AM
In Trevor's defense I will say this. There are two times that calling a race is the very toughest. Perhaps TD is different but for me they are..............

1. The next race following a well called Grade 1 stake. Try as you might the adrenalin flows out of you like a waterfall. It's very tough to re-rally with any energy. Should you as a professional of course? Not easy. I expect that's one reason why way back in the day the backup announcer always called the last. A tradition I would whole heartedly endorse a reserection of:)

2. All races on the 2nd day of a much anticipated opening after you've had a lengthy vacation. For some reason the excitment and anticipation mitigate rustiness and the 1st day back goes great. The second day bounce is all encompassing. You feel both mentally and phyiscally tired. Coming with A game is next to impossible.

It takes a week to 10 days to really get your groove back and dictate to the races instead of feeling like you're always trying to catch up.

Everyone makes mistakes. Goodness knows I do. They're well chronicaled on these and other pages. I can assure you no one feels worse than TD.

I would also like you to consider this. He's unquestionably one of the iconic greats to ever don the headset.

I was reading Privman's opening day story, with his 10 year and running, backhanded slap at me. I've actually begun to look forward to that. Jay wrote it was Trevor's 29th year at Del Mar. 29 freakin years! I can't fathom how great that his. How proud he should be. I'd consider it a great career accomplishment to call 2.9 races at either Del Mar or Santa Anita.

This man along with Tom Durkin changed the way race calling is presented. With the advent of similcasting racecallers went from PA announcers to television play by play men. We were fabulously lucky to have Tom and Trevor blaze the trail and show the way for the rest of us.

Anyone can have an understandable a slip. Babe Ruth struck out a time or two. When compared to over 30 years of class, excellence and thrills I think a glitch or two can be overlooked.

Trevor Denman is a great announcer that IMO deserves and demands our respect. If I'd been at Del Mar Wed. I would have been one of the fans shouting his name one hour before post.

VJS

Tom
07-20-2012, 11:41 AM
Did Lindz Winz sprout wings?

Exotic1
07-20-2012, 12:01 PM
In Trevor's defense I will say this. There are two times that calling a race is the very toughest. Perhaps TD is different but for me they are..............

1. The next race following a well called Grade 1 stake. Try as you might the adrenalin flows out of you like a waterfall. It's very tough to re-rally with any energy. Should you as a professional of course? Not easy. I expect that's one reason why way back in the day the backup announcer always called the last. A tradition I would whole heartedly endorse a reserection of:)

2. All races on the 2nd day of a much anticipated opening after you've had a lengthy vacation. For some reason the excitment and anticipation mitigate rustiness and the 1st day back goes great. The second day bounce is all encompassing. You feel both mentally and phyiscally tired. Coming with A game is next to impossible.

It takes a week to 10 days to really get your groove back and dictate to the races instead of feeling like you're always trying to catch up.

Everyone makes mistakes. Goodness knows I do. They're well chronicaled on these and other pages. I can assure you no one feels worse than TD.

I would also like you to consider this. He's unquestionably one of the iconic greats to ever don the headset.

I was reading Privman's opening day story, with his 10 year and running, backhanded slap at me. I've actually begun to look forward to that. Jay wrote it was Trevor's 29th year at Del Mar. 29 freakin years! I can't fathom how great that his. How proud he should be. I'd consider it a great career accomplishment to call 2.9 races at either Del Mar or Santa Anita.

This man along with Tom Durkin changed the way race calling is presented. With the advent of similcasting racecallers went from PA announcers to television play by play men. We were fabulously lucky to have Tom and Trevor blaze the trail and show the way for the rest of us.

Anyone can have an understandable a slip. Babe Ruth struck out a time or two. When compared to over 30 years of class, excellence and thrills I think a glitch or two can be overlooked.

Trevor Denman is a great announcer that IMO deserves and demands our respect. If I'd been at Del Mar Wed. I would have been one of the fans shouting his name one hour before post.

VJS

Vic, this was extremely courteous of you - that you took the time to write this says much about you. Your insight into first day of meet jitters and anti-climatic races are valued.

I hold TD in high regard and do respect him highly. My remark was that for this one race he wasn't on par. I guess it's unfair for me to appear to pile on TD in this thread unless there was a counter thread showcasing his great calls to balance and surely outweigh the occasional misstep.

Dahoss9698
07-20-2012, 12:36 PM
Vic, this was extremely courteous of you - that you took the time to write this says much about you. Your insight into first day of meet jitters and anti-climatic races are valued.

I hold TD in high regard and do respect him highly. My remark was that for this one race he wasn't on par. I guess it's unfair for me to appear to pile on TD in this thread unless there was a counter thread showcasing his great calls to balance and surely outweigh the occasional misstep.

Come on man....you fell for it?

NTamm1215
07-20-2012, 12:38 PM
Did Lindz Winz sprout wings?

The more they asked, the less Trevor gave.

Or

She just joined in at the finish line.

cj
07-20-2012, 12:39 PM
I don't see how the "second day of the meet" excuse would hold any water on the next to last race of the day. It isn't a big deal. He is still better than many announcers. But when you butcher a call that bad, it deserves to get mentioned.

v j stauffer
07-20-2012, 12:49 PM
I don't see how the "second day of the meet" excuse would hold any water on the next to last race of the day. It isn't a big deal. He is still better than many announcers. But when you butcher a call that bad, it deserves to get mentioned.

Never made sense to me either. Believe me it does exsist. Racecalling is about rythm and timing. We don't get spring training. 2nd days. The entire day are brutal. Another factor I think is the crowd. We can feed off opening day excitement. Most meets the 2nd day is the polar opposite of that. Also makes it tough. Just human nature I guess. Try as I might, even when I knew it was coming I tend to struggle, even more than usual Hoss, on the 2nd day.

PhantomOnTour
07-20-2012, 01:51 PM
The more they asked, the less Trevor gave.

Or

She just joined in at the finish line.
You are cool and unusual
Cruel too :lol:

Exotic1
07-20-2012, 05:19 PM
That was funny.

davefulche
07-20-2012, 06:09 PM
Can someone link a photo from the Sean S. I needed him badly. Didn't watch race live. Just saw it this morning. Wish I didnt.

cj
07-20-2012, 06:23 PM
Can someone link a photo from the Sean S. I needed him badly. Didn't watch race live. Just saw it this morning. Wish I didnt.

http://www.dmtc.com/racinginfo/photofinishes/html/120719/07.Win.jpg

davefulche
07-20-2012, 09:49 PM
Thank you kind sir. Very painful although I thought it would be closer. Cost me pick 4 and pick 3s. Watching the replay I thought only way I lost was a DQ turning for home.

racingfan378
07-21-2012, 01:40 AM
The bottom line is simple, Denman and Durkin are both past their prime

The over-under on Trevor saying "on the far side" during a race with a decent sized field is 3. Durkin isnt as smooth as he was before. Honestly, Denman sounds like a broken record anymore.

Now, the flip side of this statement is...? Listen to who is working in the business today. The younger guys arent that good! The only two I've heard that I like (with future potential) are the backups from Philly & CT-Penn National, other than that, it's a weak bunch of race callers under the age of 35 nowadays.

So what do you take...Trevor and Tom calling some of the biggest races in the states today while making quite a few faux pas almost daily or someone like the callers at Prairie Mdws, River, Portland, etc. We know what that answer is.

In closing I will say that Peter from MNR and Robert from EMD-SUN are some of the of best callers that havent got a chance to really shine on a major stage. John Dooley still gets my #1 announcer out there to date.

The Hawk
07-21-2012, 02:03 AM
Never made sense to me either. Believe me it does exsist. Racecalling is about rythm and timing. We don't get spring training. 2nd days. The entire day are brutal. Another factor I think is the crowd. We can feed off opening day excitement. Most meets the 2nd day is the polar opposite of that. Also makes it tough. Just human nature I guess. Try as I might, even when I knew it was coming I tend to struggle, even more than usual Hoss, on the 2nd day.

With all due respect, this is the biggest problem for announcers who put their personality into the calls, including Denman and Durkin. You don't need to "feed off" anyone, or spring training to prepare. Just shut up and call the race, for God's sake.

v j stauffer
07-21-2012, 03:52 AM
With all due respect, this is the biggest problem for announcers who put their personality into the calls, including Denman and Durkin. You don't need to "feed off" anyone, or spring training to prepare. Just shut up and call the race, for God's sake.

With due respect to you. I don't think you've got the right word when you say they put their personalities into the calls. I think a more accurate word would be passion.

As for feeding off the crowd. You're simply wrong on that subject. Any announcer will tell you the reaction from the fans is such a great experience. A way to really feel the energy of the race. If one can convey that it will make for a much better call.

As for spring training and regarding your statement to just shut up and call the race.

Believe it or not racecalling is REALLY difficult. So many factors play into making a call "most" people appreciate. Timing, rythm, pacing, familiarity with the horses, confidence, repetition and many more intangibles. Think of a great hitter in baseball. He just doesn't throw himself out there on opening day and expect to get around on 95 mph fastballs.

Announcing after a long break is the same. It takes a week or ten days to feel really comfortable. To "see" the ball well. Attack the pitch rather than react to it and usually late.

I also totally agree with a previous poster about the next wave of young announcers. There are several I think are terrific and would shine at the next level if given the chance. Travis Stone, Bill Downes, Jonathan Horowitz, Michael Chamberlain and Matt Hook are just a few of those type guys that come to mind. There are many others.

I was one of those guys for many years. Thought I could do it if called up to the bigs but needed a break. I was making average calls but nothing special. Then I got Gulfstream and Hollywood. The darndest thing happened. Those average calls became great. Why? Had nothing to do with my skills. I was afforded the opportunity to call great horses in great races. Just that simple.

There are 20 guys that could have done as much or more with Lava Man and Zenyatta. I was just the lucky sap who had the job at the time. They made the calls. I simply rode their coat tails.

Thanks for listening.

V J S

lamboguy
07-21-2012, 07:51 AM
Vic, you certainly did a bunch of things around a race track. i remembered when you tried to claim a horse in Louisiana Downs. you hustled jock books and did a great job, and you are still a great announcer. on top of that, you have lots of compassion for others that are on the less fortunate side of things.

you should be very proud of yourself

The Hawk
07-21-2012, 09:22 AM
With due respect to you. I don't think you've got the right word when you say they put their personalities into the calls. I think a more accurate word would be passion.

As for feeding off the crowd. You're simply wrong on that subject. Any announcer will tell you the reaction from the fans is such a great experience. A way to really feel the energy of the race. If one can convey that it will make for a much better call.

As for spring training and regarding your statement to just shut up and call the race.

Believe it or not racecalling is REALLY difficult. So many factors play into making a call "most" people appreciate. Timing, rythm, pacing, familiarity with the horses, confidence, repetition and many more intangibles. Think of a great hitter in baseball. He just doesn't throw himself out there on opening day and expect to get around on 95 mph fastballs.

Announcing after a long break is the same. It takes a week or ten days to feel really comfortable. To "see" the ball well. Attack the pitch rather than react to it and usually late.

I also totally agree with a previous poster about the next wave of young announcers. There are several I think are terrific and would shine at the next level if given the chance. Travis Stone, Bill Downes, Jonathan Horowitz, Michael Chamberlain and Matt Hook are just a few of those type guys that come to mind. There are many others.

I was one of those guys for many years. Thought I could do it if called up to the bigs but needed a break. I was making average calls but nothing special. Then I got Gulfstream and Hollywood. The darndest thing happened. Those average calls became great. Why? Had nothing to do with my skills. I was afforded the opportunity to call great horses in great races. Just that simple.

There are 20 guys that could have done as much or more with Lava Man and Zenyatta. I was just the lucky sap who had the job at the time. They made the calls. I simply rode their coat tails.

Thanks for listening.

V J S

This is a study in egomania.

Maybe it's me, but if the announcer is the "great hitter" he should work more on his swing than his home run trot in spring training. No doubt it's a difficult job, one few can do, but no one is there to hear the announcer. A more apt spring training comparison would be to an umpire, who should never be the focus.

v j stauffer
07-21-2012, 10:40 AM
This is a study in egomania.

Maybe it's me, but if the announcer is the "great hitter" he should work more on his swing than his home run trot in spring training. No doubt it's a difficult job, one few can do, but no one is there to hear the announcer. A more apt spring training comparison would be to an umpire, who should never be the focus.

Seems to me the analogy I made was exactly like working on ones swing.

I believe announcers are reporters. Play by play men. Do people watch a baseball game to hear the annoncer. Well actually in some cases yes. Point being most enjoy the commentary as the game progresses. Doubt it would be more enjoyable with no sound. To me track announcers are similar. With even added responsability. Getting vital information to the bettors who are wagering their cash. I do not believe the announcer should be the focus. I do however think the experience would be lessened without one.

As for egomania. That's hogwash. I was trying to explain to you and others on this site some of the nuances of the career I've chosen. Example of the different levels of tracks and rising through the ranks. It's fine to trade views. I'm sure there are things about your job I'd find interesting. If you took time to explain some of them I doubt I would see a need to call you a name.

Don't forget you've always got the mute button right there in your holster.

Thanks for listening.

Wickel
07-21-2012, 12:46 PM
I agree with Vic that Denman, along with a slew of announcers, wear their passion, not personality, on their sleeves. But in the last few years for Denman, it's a "forced passion." It almost sounds like he feels he has to come up with one of his clever quips, instead of just calling the race naturally. I believe that's what happened Thursday. He saw Lindz Windz fall back a bit and immediately went to "can give no more." I'd tell TD not to worry. He's not going to be judged badly if he doesn't come up with one of his one-liners. Just call the race. Incidentally, Kurt Becker at Keeneland is far and away No. 1 these days. Durkin, Stauffer, Collmus and Denman close behind. Maybe it's just me, but it's too difficult following races called by Wrona (GG), Johnson (CD) and Geller (Sun, Emerald)--too unorthodox. And forgive me, Vic, but guys like Travis Stone just don't cut it. The dude never keeps his audience informed prior to posttime, which is very important to simulcast bettors. Before you know it, posttime sneaks up on you.

WKL

GMB@BP
07-21-2012, 01:55 PM
I think a great announcer adds to the entertainment of the race, I am fine with the guy who just calls it, the guy who used to call Monmouth/Turf Paradise used to be like that, but you find someone who can really do both and I think it helps add to the race.

Wagergirl
07-21-2012, 02:08 PM
where I work, we watch the races with no sound. IT SUCKS. I'd rather hear a race with a bad race caller, then watch with no sound.
IMO

HuggingTheRail
07-21-2012, 02:22 PM
where I work, we watch the races with no sound. IT SUCKS. I'd rather hear a race with a bad race caller, then watch with no sound.
IMO

There's bad....then there is BAD...as in Tampa Bay BAD

I don't have any announcers that I think are that much better than others; but I know what I don't like, and I watch those races with no sound. Of the ones that may be a bit higher on my favourite list: Mountaineer, Woodbine and PARX. The guy at the local track (Hastings) isn't bad, just needs to stop calling photos wrong :D

The Hawk
07-21-2012, 08:32 PM
I believe announcers are reporters. Play by play men. Do people watch a baseball game to hear the annoncer. Well actually in some cases yes. Point being most enjoy the commentary as the game progresses. Doubt it would be more enjoyable with no sound. To me track announcers are similar. With even added responsability. Getting vital information to the bettors who are wagering their cash. I do not believe the announcer should be the focus. I do however think the experience would be lessened without one.

Agree with all of that. But GOOD reporters don't editorialize.

As for egomania. That's hogwash. I was trying to explain to you and others on this site some of the nuances of the career I've chosen. Example of the different levels of tracks and rising through the ranks. It's fine to trade views. I'm sure there are things about your job I'd find interesting. If you took time to explain some of them I doubt I would see a need to call you a name.

Don't forget you've always got the mute button right there in your holster.

Thanks for listening.

"Think of a great hitter in baseball."

"Those average calls became great."

"I simply rode their coat tails."

All that stuff comes off poorly, in my opinion.

I apologize if you were offended by my post, that wasn't the intention. I personally just find these types of calls (and Trevor is at least as guilty, if not more) simple self-promotion in nature, and rather distasteful. Again, maybe it's me. I know no one is going to change your mind but don't think a majority of players care for these types of calls.

The Hawk
07-21-2012, 08:33 PM
But in the last few years for Denman, it's a "forced passion." It almost sounds like he feels he has to come up with one of his clever quips, instead of just calling the race naturally....Just call the race.
WKL

Couldn't agree more.

NTamm1215
07-21-2012, 11:32 PM
I agree with Vic that Denman, along with a slew of announcers, wear their passion, not personality, on their sleeves. But in the last few years for Denman, it's a "forced passion." It almost sounds like he feels he has to come up with one of his clever quips, instead of just calling the race naturally. I believe that's what happened Thursday. He saw Lindz Windz fall back a bit and immediately went to "can give no more." I'd tell TD not to worry. He's not going to be judged badly if he doesn't come up with one of his one-liners. Just call the race. Incidentally, Kurt Becker at Keeneland is far and away No. 1 these days. Durkin, Stauffer, Collmus and Denman close behind. Maybe it's just me, but it's too difficult following races called by Wrona (GG), Johnson (CD) and Geller (Sun, Emerald)--too unorthodox. And forgive me, Vic, but guys like Travis Stone just don't cut it. The dude never keeps his audience informed prior to posttime, which is very important to simulcast bettors. Before you know it, posttime sneaks up on you.

WKL

You might be the only person in the world who requires the announcer to let him know it's getting close to post time. Do you also rely on them to tell you the fractions then the prices after the race?

Vinman
07-22-2012, 12:51 AM
The bottom line is simple, Denman and Durkin are both past their prime

The over-under on Trevor saying "on the far side" during a race with a decent sized field is 3. Durkin isnt as smooth as he was before. Honestly, Denman sounds like a broken record anymore.

Now, the flip side of this statement is...? Listen to who is working in the business today. The younger guys arent that good! The only two I've heard that I like (with future potential) are the backups from Philly & CT-Penn National, other than that, it's a weak bunch of race callers under the age of 35 nowadays.

So what do you take...Trevor and Tom calling some of the biggest races in the states today while making quite a few faux pas almost daily or someone like the callers at Prairie Mdws, River, Portland, etc. We know what that answer is.

In closing I will say that Peter from MNR and Robert from EMD-SUN are some of the of best callers that havent got a chance to really shine on a major stage. John Dooley still gets my #1 announcer out there to date.

I'd like to add the name of Scott Ehrlich to the list of "up and coming" announcers who are quite capable of stepping up to an "elite level" when the opportunity presents itself. I enjoyed his calls at Balmoral and he now does a bang up job on both Cal-Expo and currently the NoCal T-Bred Fair races. He's one to watch, IMHO. John McGarry of Evangeline also does very good work.

racingfan378
07-22-2012, 01:57 AM
I'd like to add the name of Scott Ehrlich to the list of "up and coming" announcers who are quite capable of stepping up to an "elite level" when the opportunity presents itself. I enjoyed his calls at Balmoral and he now does a bang up job on both Cal-Expo and currently the NoCal T-Bred Fair races. He's one to watch, IMHO. John McGarry of Evangeline also does very good work.

I'll have to toss in my two cents. Scott can NOT call a TB race on an "elite level" to save his life. He is ok with the standardbreds IMO. Unless he got more practice on the TB side of calling, he doesnt deserve a vote. Just listen to some replays and once he gets lost, he is lost. Lots of "fill" with no actual info

Travis at LaD is a copy cat of Durkin and that's why I dont like him. The kid from ArP is a copy cat of Wrona which is why I dont like him.

A race caller's job is simple; call the race, add in some excitement WHEN its needed, dont pretend to be the entire show b/c without the horses running, you wouldnt have a job and get creative once in a while with some catchy one liners or some zingers.

Dooley is the best at that. So and so is running out of gas at $x.xx a gallon. Or when he had a horse called "DoILookFatInThese" who actually had the lead, started to fade and he said "doilookfatinthese" is falling apart at the seams. That cracked my ass up!

v j stauffer
07-22-2012, 02:56 AM
Agree with all of that. But GOOD reporters don't editorialize.

"Think of a great hitter in baseball."

"Those average calls became great."

"I simply rode their coat tails."

All that stuff comes off poorly, in my opinion.

I apologize if you were offended by my post, that wasn't the intention. I personally just find these types of calls (and Trevor is at least as guilty, if not more) simple self-promotion in nature, and rather distasteful. Again, maybe it's me. I know no one is going to change your mind but don't think a majority of players care for these types of calls.

I wasn't offended at all. I appreciate the dialogue. What I was trying to say is it's very difficult to make calls great or otherwise without being fortunate enough to call great horses.

wisconsin
07-22-2012, 08:50 AM
Dooley is the best at that. So and so is running out of gas at $x.xx a gallon. Or when he had a horse called "DoILookFatInThese" who actually had the lead, started to fade and he said "doilookfatinthese" is falling apart at the seams. That cracked my ass up!

He's funny, for sure, but he a also likes to use buzzwords (way too many) and injects far too much into his calls. He was much better, IMHO, when he was raw calling at Thistledown.

bettheoverlay
07-22-2012, 09:24 AM
I regard Dooley as the best race caller I've ever heard. He combines color and accuracy with often a great sense of rhythm, never sounds droning, or awkwardly folksy.

I never knew Vic was at Garden State which I attended nightly. I seem to recall Ralph Siraco as the original caller the first year of it's re-opening.

bigmack
07-22-2012, 09:51 AM
There's bad....then there is BAD...as in Tampa Bay BAD
Clearly, not a fan of R&B.

Okq5Vvnv1VQ

v j stauffer
07-22-2012, 03:49 PM
I regard Dooley as the best race caller I've ever heard. He combines color and accuracy with often a great sense of rhythm, never sounds droning, or awkwardly folksy.

I never knew Vic was at Garden State which I attended nightly. I seem to recall Ralph Siraco as the original caller the first year of it's re-opening.

I was Ralph Siraco's backup for about six weeks of the re-opening year. Then moved on to DRC as the full time caller.

When I left money was already getting tight at GSP. Rather than looking for a new backup they decided to stay in house. Posted in the lunch room if anybody was interested in adding on the duties of back up announcer in addition to their regular job. The guy running the infield matrix board had never called a race. However he had an amazing voice. Co-workers implored him to give it a go. Nothing to lose.

That matrix board dude was "Cream Donut" Keith Jones the now nearly 30 year voice of Keystone, Philly Park and now Parx.:ThmbUp:

The Hawk
07-22-2012, 04:06 PM
I wasn't offended at all. I appreciate the dialogue. What I was trying to say is it's very difficult to make calls great or otherwise without being fortunate enough to call great horses.

That's certainly true. :ThmbUp:

wisconsin
07-22-2012, 05:55 PM
I was Ralph Siraco's backup for about six weeks of the re-opening year. Then moved on to DRC as the full time caller.

When I left money was already getting tight at GSP. Rather than looking for a new backup they decided to stay in house. Posted in the lunch room if anybody was interested in adding on the duties of back up announcer in addition to their regular job. The guy running the infield matrix board had never called a race. However he had an amazing voice. Co-workers implored him to give it a go. Nothing to lose.

That matrix board dude was "Cream Donut" Keith Jones the now nearly 30 year voice of Keystone, Philly Park and now Parx.:ThmbUp:

What a cool story, actually. Thanks for sharing this.

Wickel
07-22-2012, 10:09 PM
You might be the only person in the world who requires the announcer to let him know it's getting close to post time. Do you also rely on them to tell you the fractions then the prices after the race?

When you're playing multiple tracks, speeding through the pps and trying to pay attention to several simulcast feeds, it'd be nice to get a peep on how much time remains to postime. A couple of times, when he was working the LaD quarter-horse meet, he actually dropped the ball completely. It was like being at the old Keeneland!!

cj
07-22-2012, 10:17 PM
To be fair, Durkin was calling some horse by the wrong name a few times today, but I can't remember which one. He was saying something "Cotton" I think when there was no horse with that name.

PhantomOnTour
07-22-2012, 10:19 PM
To be fair, Durkin was calling some horse by the wrong name a few times today, but I can't remember which one. He was saying something "Cotton" I think when there was no horse with that name.
It was in the 1st race stretch duel btw Paper Plane and Victory Island...he said Victory Plane a few times

cj
07-22-2012, 10:22 PM
It was in the 1st race stretch duel btw Paper Plane and Victory Island...he said Victory Plane a few times

Well then there was more than one, oops. That isn't the one I heard.

cj
07-22-2012, 10:26 PM
It was the last race, he kept calling High on Kitten by the name High on Cotton.

The Hawk
07-23-2012, 09:49 AM
It was the last race, he kept calling High on Kitten by the name High on Cotton.

HE'S STILL THE GREATEST!!!

(Well, hardly. I just wanted to save one of his apologists the time and effort of posting).

cj
07-23-2012, 10:40 PM
Well, he had another hack job today.

Stillriledup
01-13-2013, 06:13 PM
TD has never heard of Tim Tebow.

You learn something new every day. :lol:

Stillriledup
01-22-2014, 04:21 PM
Mispronouncing names that arent hard to pronounce.

Mr Ornery and sister Glady Oh La are two that come to mind. Really Botched the Sister Glady Oh La, called her the wrong name the entire call (a 5 horse field as the first race of the day)

Stillriledup
02-04-2014, 01:50 AM
Trevor's new announcing style, anyone hear it? Im listening to races from Jan 31st, maybe its a one time thing, but it seems like when the race starts, he waits 5 seconds before saying "and away they go". He used to say "and away they go" the second the horses left the gate, now he waits 5 seconds.

johnhannibalsmith
02-04-2014, 10:29 AM
That's some mindblowing shit you uncovered there.

:p

SharpCat
02-04-2014, 11:04 AM
Trevor's new announcing style, anyone hear it? Im listening to races from Jan 31st, maybe its a one time thing, but it seems like when the race starts, he waits 5 seconds before saying "and away they go". He used to say "and away they go" the second the horses left the gate, now he waits 5 seconds.

I heard it to. I was watching on TVG and noticed the audio was 3-4 seconds behind the video.

dilanesp
02-04-2014, 12:52 PM

That sounds like Marshall Cassidy. At the beginning of his career, he'd shout "AND THEY'RE OFF!" as the gates sprung open. By the end of his career, gates would open, nothing would happen for a few seconds, followed by a disinterested "they're off".

devilsbag
02-04-2014, 03:18 PM
Once Frank's Energy Drinks were discontinued, I noticed Trevor start to lose some of his flair. Perhaps they should try milkshaking him before each race.

therussmeister
02-04-2014, 05:27 PM
Maybe he's calling the races from his hot tub at home. Or maybe they put him on a five second delay in case he says a naughty word.

Stillriledup
02-04-2014, 05:35 PM
Maybe he's calling the races from his hot tub at home. Or maybe they put him on a five second delay in case he says a naughty word.

He seemed to go back to normal the next day, maybe he just experimented or something. It was odd.

cj
02-04-2014, 06:24 PM
He seemed to go back to normal the next day, maybe he just experimented or something. It was odd.

My gosh, do you read the other posts? There was a delay between video and audio, nothing more. I've been keeping my resolution, my have to step it up even.

Stillriledup
02-06-2015, 05:39 PM
Happy 1 year anniversary to the last time this thread was visited. Its been too long between drinks.

the 3 horse in the 4th at Santa Anita, isnt' this horse named after the famous football coaches?

I never knew the proper pronunciation until Trevor just called this race, i always thought it was something else.

v j stauffer
02-06-2015, 08:55 PM
Happy 1 year anniversary to the last time this thread was visited. Its been too long between drinks.

the 3 horse in the 4th at Santa Anita, isnt' this horse named after the famous football coaches?

I never knew the proper pronunciation until Trevor just called this race, i always thought it was something else.

You're such a &%^&*#$%

Stillriledup
02-06-2015, 09:13 PM
You're such a &%^&*#$%

Just trying to learn from the best.

thespaah
02-06-2015, 11:02 PM
You're such a &%^&*#$%
Careful Vic..You'll have to call a technical on yourself!
:lol:

Stillriledup
02-06-2015, 11:07 PM
Careful Vic..You'll have to call a technical on yourself!
:lol:

I like Vic a lot, he's a passionate guy and wears that passion on his sleeve, but he might have just T'd himself up like you say :D

v j stauffer
02-07-2015, 02:46 AM
Any game that SRU is in or even at I will EJECT myself from.

turninforhome10
02-07-2015, 04:32 AM
I remember the days not to long ago when we actually had intelligent conversations about racing. I have also noticed that the folks that actually had something to say are not posting as much as they used. Instead we get whiny, b**chy nonsense like this. Congrats SRU you are truly raising the bar. I miss the old board where I could stop in and actually learn something. Now it is more like stopping by to check up on the soap operas.

Stillriledup
02-07-2015, 05:02 AM
I remember the days not to long ago when we actually had intelligent conversations about racing. I have also noticed that the folks that actually had something to say are not posting as much as they used. Instead we get whiny, b**chy nonsense like this. Congrats SRU you are truly raising the bar. I miss the old board where I could stop in and actually learn something. Now it is more like stopping by to check up on the soap operas.

Nobody is stopping you from creating intelligent conversation, a post like this just adds to the "whining". One of the most popular posts at this site is started by CJ talking about the Announcer at Tampa. As far as soap operas go, i'm not the one who comes into threads and unloads on people calling them names like a 4th grader, there are plenty of threads here with fantastic debate, maybe if you were here more often and not just "stopping by" you would know where those threads were.

"Soap operas" are what people want. Do you know how many views the "Asmussen Peta thread" had? Tens of thousands....and nothing in there was going to ever point you to a winner or teach you anything about handicapping or betting strategy, yet, that was the thread people wanted to read and post in...same as the Tampa announcer thread.

I've had plenty of threads here talking about specific horses, stable mail threads, bad beat threads and quite a few other threads that could have spurred great debate, but you know what? Nobody debated, nobody cared. Nobody wanted to read about a trip note or a horse to follow, so as far as "Raising the bar" i'm trying, 98 percent of my posts are contributions of information trying to help people win, i give out winning NBA selections in the sports discussion section with writeups....nobody cares or reads it, i get maybe 1 or 2 "hey nice picks" but other than the few people, that thread gets hardly any bumps or discussions, beats me if i know why.

Why not single out Vic? He's not here contributing all that much, he had one post today where he answered the question about some classifications at Golden Gate, it was a great post, very informative, that's Vic at his best...but you get that once in a while with him, the rest of the time its 5th grade stuff..... calling people names and getting censored. The guy's post got censored and you're calling me out for raising the bar? Ok.

Its not on me that Vic is butthurt whenever someone criticizes an announcer....maybe he ought to call up his friends and tell them how to pronounce words that everyone in the civilized world knows how to pronounce instead of spending time "creating drama" and pretending i'm the only one being critical of announcers.

Go on, raise the bar, start some intelligent posts, be the change you want to see, nobody is stopping you.

SG4
02-07-2015, 05:21 AM
Maybe Vic or others could weigh in here on an actual question tying in the issue of the mispronounced name - when an announcer may not be positive on a horse's name, is it common for them to maybe seek out the owner or other connections to get a back story in order to get it right? Obviously a Google search or a dictionary would suffice in a number of occasions, but maybe for more specialized issues it would take that extra step.

For all the difficulty that race calling entails, it is still painful to the viewer to hear a name/word mispronounced continuously. Would hope that taking a minute to find the right way to call a horse's name would be on the easier side of what the job entails.

098poi
02-07-2015, 08:21 AM
You're such a &%^&*#$%

I know how those words are pronounced! Made my day.

Relwob Owner
02-07-2015, 06:12 PM
You're such a &%^&*#$%

Wow Vic, that was some good stuff.

I don't want to pile on and I can't follow that, so I will go about it a different way. I have had the good luck to be on this board for a long time and have enjoyed reading rather than posting for the most part because of the sharp minds on here and my own tendency to end up getting in scraps that are pointless. So, rather than attacking SRU, I will instead say various qualities I notice and like from other solid posters to compare and see how SRU stacks up...

They have gambled before and gamble on a somewhat regular basis
They have owned or trained horses and can add insight based on that experience
They are genuine in their posts and don't just post with an intention to just get a response
They don't just post whatever is on their mind at that time, but instead think about their posts. Quality over quantity

I don't see any of these in SRU's posts and that is why his thoughts aren't really for me but I appreciate the enthusiasm displayed.

As far as the thread topic goes, I have always been a Trevor fan and always will be. Announcing is incredibly hard I think and being distinctive is an added plus. Is he maybe missing some more things as the years go on? Yes, but Lord knows we probably all are...

And SRU, contrary to what you said earlier, people don't want soap operas

Stillriledup
02-07-2015, 07:29 PM
Wow Vic, that was some good stuff.

I don't want to pile on and I can't follow that, so I will go about it a different way. I have had the good luck to be on this board for a long time and have enjoyed reading rather than posting for the most part because of the sharp minds on here and my own tendency to end up getting in scraps that are pointless. So, rather than attacking SRU, I will instead say various qualities I notice and like from other solid posters to compare and see how SRU stacks up...

They have gambled before and gamble on a somewhat regular basis
They have owned or trained horses and can add insight based on that experience
They are genuine in their posts and don't just post with an intention to just get a response
They don't just post whatever is on their mind at that time, but instead think about their posts. Quality over quantity

I don't see any of these in SRU's posts and that is why his thoughts aren't really for me but I appreciate the enthusiasm displayed.

As far as the thread topic goes, I have always been a Trevor fan and always will be. Announcing is incredibly hard I think and being distinctive is an added plus. Is he maybe missing some more things as the years go on? Yes, but Lord knows we probably all are...

And SRU, contrary to what you said earlier, people don't want soap operas

So you don't want to pile on, so you pile on? Hmmm, ok. :D

Couple of points about your post.
1) I didnt realize you had to bet or own to have an opinion. I don't talk much here about my personal betting, how much i bet or what horses i own, if any, so i don't know why this would come into play, its not a factor, everyone is allowed to have an opinion, hopefully differing opinions will be respectfully disagreed with if they are disagreed with, i'm sure you could fix this going forward if you want to.

2) If my posts and thoughts are not for you, than there's this ignore feature, you can not have to read what i say if you so choose......so that's on you to fix that one too.

3) Thanks for the compliment about enthusiasm.

4) Quality over Quantity. I like to think most of my posts are quality. If you feel there's a post of mine that lacks quality, you're free to respectfully debate that point in the appropriate thread, i would have no problem discussing anything you feel of mine that isn't high quality. If there's a thread about announcers, i might comment in that thread with an appropriate post, if there is a thread about debating handicapping, i'll also respond in the appropriate manner.

5) There's a 60,000 view and almost 1,000 response thread about the Tampa announcer that i didn't start. That's one of the most viewed and responded to threads here at PA, so i look at the views and responses about track announcers and then look at the views and responses to great handicapping threads and don't see as much......so to me, that shows me what people here prefer to read and respond to, when i said people want soap operas i was just going on what gets viewed here and what gets ignored....i have a "Stable mail" thread, for example, of horses to watch with writeups and whatnut...and yet, the 'bad announcer" thread has 50 or 100 times more views and repsonses....you're good at math, you can see what people want and what they do not.

6) Announcing being hard. That's no excuse to mispronounce a name that anyone with a clue knows how to pronounce. If someone on a political tv show mispronounced Romney, that person would get criticized on SOME message board somewhere.

7) Selective criticism. I'm not the only one here who calls attention to an announcer's mistake....yet, i'm the only one here that Vic seems to chase around and single out for venom...and you got right in there and spewed hate of your own. Don't hate the player.

v j stauffer
02-07-2015, 09:59 PM
Maybe Vic or others could weigh in here on an actual question tying in the issue of the mispronounced name - when an announcer may not be positive on a horse's name, is it common for them to maybe seek out the owner or other connections to get a back story in order to get it right? Obviously a Google search or a dictionary would suffice in a number of occasions, but maybe for more specialized issues it would take that extra step.

For all the difficulty that race calling entails, it is still painful to the viewer to hear a name/word mispronounced continuously. Would hope that taking a minute to find the right way to call a horse's name would be on the easier side of what the job entails.

There is NEVER an excuse for mispronouncing names. Mistakes will come with the unpredictable nature of horse racing.

However, getting the names right is entirely about work ethic and professionalism.

Fields are available 72 hours before race time. Plenty of time to research any questionable names.

I had several methods. Certainly Google was an excellent source. For foreign languages I had three covered. Spanish was either the Great George O. from Hollywood Park or my friend Martin Garcia. French go to guys were either Michelle who is a valet in So. Cal or Larry Collmus. As for German that was easy as my lovely wife Tina was born in Hamburg.

Absent that. I have been know to call a Breeder. If it got down to crunch time I'd ask HP's assistant clerk of scales Charlie McCall to walk right out into the paddock and get the scoop while the horse was being saddled.

Sometimes there are names you just can't know without help. The horsemen in So. Cal. were really great with helping me. I think they knew how important it was for me.

I would get many calls or letters from owners or trainers putting me on the lead to get them right. Which of course I really appreciated.

First time Bayern ran at HP Baffert called me and told me the story about the soccer team and how to pronounce it properly.

I remember one I really appreciated was Doc Harrington calling about a filly named It's Aine. Her name is pronounced It's ON-YA. No amount of research would have helped with that.

Of course I bristle when people rip announcers. It's my brethren. I know how badly it feels when we make mistakes. They are inevitable of course. We're human and fallible.

I never took the praise or the knocks too much to heart. As for SRU most of his criticisms are on point. My problem is he never seems to praise and seems to find such joy in weeding out every mistake no matter how obscure or inconsequential. A silly little punk who obviously only finds joy when he can bring sorrow to others.

His long winded, self serving speeches arguing why he's relevant only serve to prove how pathetically unimportant he is. When you have to justify your joy at other peoples expense it doubles down that you have no life.

I used to kid with him because I couldn't believe he was serious. Thought it was just silliness to promote fun banter. Turns out he's actually taking the endless drivel seriously. Wow. How sad.

I will not fall for his crap ever again.

I post on here for two reasons.

1. To have fun sharing how much us real fans love our Great sport.

2. To answer questions and give insider perspectives based on my 40 years on the track.

olddaddy
02-07-2015, 10:14 PM
Vic, I noticed some comments about reffing. I know you ump but are you also reffing? The HS level?

Stillriledup
02-07-2015, 10:14 PM
There is NEVER an excuse for mispronouncing names. Mistakes will come with the unpredictable nature of horse racing.

However, getting the names right is entirely about work ethic and professionalism.

Fields are available 72 hours before race time. Plenty of time to research any questionable names.

I had several methods. Certainly Google was an excellent source. For foreign languages I had three covered. Spanish was either the Great George O. from Hollywood Park or my friend Martin Garcia. French go to guys were either Michelle who is a valet in So. Cal or Larry Collmus. As for German that was easy as my lovely wife Tina was born in Hamburg.

Absent that. I have been know to call a Breeder. If it got down to crunch time I'd ask HP's assistant clerk of scales Charlie McCall to walk right out into the paddock and get the scoop while the horse was being saddled.

Sometimes there are names you just can't know without help. The horsemen in So. Cal. were really great with helping me. I think they knew how important it was for me.

I would get many calls or letters from owners or trainers putting me on the lead to get them right. Which of course I really appreciated.

First time Bayern ran at HP Baffert called me and told me the story about the soccer team and how to pronounce it properly.

I remember one I really appreciated was Doc Harrington calling about a filly named It's Aine. Her name is pronounced It's ON-YA. No amount of research would have helped with that.

Of course I bristle when people rip announcers. It's my brethren. I know how badly it feels when we make mistakes. They are inevitable of course. We're human and fallible.

I never took the praise or the knocks too much to heart. As for SRU most of his criticisms are on point. My problem is he never seems to praise and seems to find such joy in weeding out every mistake no matter how obscure or inconsequential. A silly little punk who obviously only finds joy when he can bring sorrow to others.

His long winded, self serving speeches arguing why he's relevant only serve to prove how pathetically unimportant he is. When you have to justify your joy at other peoples expense it doubles down that you have no life.

I used to kid with him because I couldn't believe he was serious. Thought it was just silliness to promote fun banter. Turns out he's actually taking the endless drivel seriously. Wow. How sad.

I will not fall for his crap ever again.

I post on here for two reasons.

1. To have fun sharing how much us real fans love our Great sport.

2. To answer questions and give insider perspectives based on my 40 years on the track.

Good post....until you went to the dark place with the 5th grade antics and name calling. Cmon now, i know you're better than this.

As far as praise, i praise all the time, there's not a single poster here who says "good post, good call, good point, great race, great ride, great this and great that more than i do, nobody is even close to me in that regard...as far as knocking Trevor or any other announcer, there have been dozens and dozens of mistakes and bad calls by Trevor recently, i haven't mentioned any of them, not a one, i let him slide time after time. I'm also not the only one who bumps and posts in these announcer threads, they are very popular here and most people will be critical of announcers, i'm not the only one, but i'm the only "silly little punk" here, everyone else is ok to do it, everyone else can bump up a bad call, but not me. I'm the only one you chase around and call names.

Its funny how you're railing on me for a legitimate criticism and talking about endless drivel, but you're the one who has 10 "Drivel" posts for everyone that's legit. Even this one you just couldnt help yourself, you had to stoop to name calling and go to the "bad place" which is what people in 5th grade do.

As far as falling for crap goes, everytime i see you post in a thread i post in, before i click on the thread i think "here we go again" because i know there's a great chance its some nonsense name calling stuff and not something legit, i was shocked when you posted in the golden gate thread and didnt call me a name in there, i couldn't believe i read something from you that didnt end badly for you.

SG4
02-07-2015, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the reply Vic! Funny you mentioned It's Aine, as I was watching a race with her just last week & hearing Trevor's call I was wondering how he arrived at getting that name right, mystery solved.

v j stauffer
02-07-2015, 11:04 PM
Vic, I noticed some comments about reffing. I know you ump but are you also reffing? The HS level?

I sure do and LOVE it. Yes, High School. Season is just about over now. I've done about 65 games with three more left next week. Hope to get a couple shots in the early rounds of the playoffs but being just a 3rd year man I don't hold out much hope. Many excellent ref's with seniority over me. On to Baseball now. Looking forward to that as well.

olddaddy
02-07-2015, 11:34 PM
I sure do and LOVE it. Yes, High School. Season is just about over now. I've done about 65 games with three more left next week. Hope to get a couple shots in the early rounds of the playoffs but being just a 3rd year man I don't hold out much hope. Many excellent ref's with seniority over me. On to Baseball now. Looking forward to that as well.

It is a blast, I did girls H.S. for awhile, mainly j.v. games. Father time caught up with me, its for the young guys like you. ;)

v j stauffer
02-07-2015, 11:36 PM
It is a blast, I did girls H.S. for awhile, mainly j.v. games. Father time caught up with me, its for the young guys like you. ;)

He's hot on my heels. :mad:

domino1891
02-08-2015, 06:06 AM
"Just wait 'till 'mcracehorsecaller' replaces Trevor"

ubercapper
02-09-2015, 09:59 AM
Vic, you were always great on pronunciation, as are many other great callers. I know Kurt Becker asks the racing office or trainer if there's any doubt.

There was a horse last week at Santa Anita, filly race, named Alwazabridesmaid. Given it was a filly it was obvious (to me at least) the pronunciation was "Always A Bridesmaid."

In any event, for the entire race the horse was called "Al Was a Bridesmaid."

I know it's California and like many other states there are likely many Bridesmaid's named Al but just the same......

Just thought it was funny. Not trying to pick on Trevor.

BTW, Vic, I don't know if you remember but back in the mid-90's when you were calling Pleasanton and doing the pre-race seminars I did one or two with you and you were fun to work with.

v j stauffer
02-09-2015, 02:32 PM
Vic, you were always great on pronunciation, as are many other great callers. I know Kurt Becker asks the racing office or trainer if there's any doubt.

There was a horse last week at Santa Anita, filly race, named Alwazabridesmaid. Given it was a filly it was obvious (to me at least) the pronunciation was "Always A Bridesmaid."

In any event, for the entire race the horse was called "Al Was a Bridesmaid."

I know it's California and like many other states there are likely many Bridesmaid's named Al but just the same......

Just thought it was funny. Not trying to pick on Trevor.

BTW, Vic, I don't know if you remember but back in the mid-90's when you were calling Pleasanton and doing the pre-race seminars I did one or two with you and you were fun to work with.

Sure I do.

Working on the Fairs were some of the greatest times of my career. Big fun!

dilanesp
02-09-2015, 05:14 PM
One thing I think everyone has to remember-- and this is not intended as any slight to Vic or Peter Berry or any other announcer who posts here, because it is a legitimately difficult job-- is that race calling isn't very important.

I am a fan of another sport besides horse racing where people just obsess about announcers-- track and field. My father was, for awhile, the go-to PA announcer in that sport. He announced national championship track meets and big invitational meets throughout the 1960's and 1970's-- he called most of Jim Ryun's famous races when he was the #1 miler in the world, for instance.

The thing is, if you go to any website where track and field is discussed, the fans spend huge amounts of time debating announcers. Here's the thing, though-- these people are knowledgeable fans. NONE of them need a PA announcer. All of them can go to a track meet and know exactly what to look at and when, know how fast the races are going and how far the shot put went, etc.

The same thing with everyone here. Give us a program and saddle cloth numbers and we can figure out what's going on in a horse race, live or on television. Maybe if there's a lousy picture transmission, an announcer will help. But in that situation, what we really need is simply an accurate call. All the flourishes, all the dramatizing, etc.-- none of us need it at all.

I think Vic did a great job calling the races all those years. I remember all the way back to the first time I heard him, calling Waquoit winning the Michigan Mile at the now-defunct Ladbroke DRC race track.

And I think Trevor is very very good. Some other announcers, I like more or less.

But the reality is, if they turned off the PA at the local tracks like Keeneland used to do, I'd still be able to figure things out. Indeed, many of the races I watch on simulcast, I watch without a race call anyway, because the track has the sound off. A Trakus display is much more useful to me than a race call.

I really don't understand why people care so much and obsess about this subject. It really doesn't matter one bit who is calling the races. It's not why any of us love the sport.

elhelmete
02-09-2015, 05:21 PM
I really don't understand why people care so much and obsess about this subject. It really doesn't matter one bit who is calling the races. It's not why any of us love the sport.

It's one reason I love the sport.

One of Vic's strengths, I feel, was he made a day at Hollywood Park feel 'hosted.' It wasn't just the race calls, it was his general demeanor and the way he gave out information woven into the whole day. IMHO it's like when Ernie Harwell or Vin Scully would sign on for a broadcast an hour before the game or whatever. From that time, til the end of the game/races, you were a guest.

When I attend SA in person I get there usually 60-90 minutes before post and I love when Trevor cracks the mic open with his welcome and the changes and the flag and all that, leading up to the calls themselves.

This is in contrast to, say, the movies or pro sports where I feel assaulted by noise and crappy music from minute one.

jballscalls
02-09-2015, 05:49 PM

It's why I love the sport.

I disagree with much of what you're saying but I'm obviously extremely biased. I think a good announcer adds a lot of atmosphere and color to the days events and the broadcast. Just as a bad announcer can take away from that.

I don't like watching races at all in silence. Just doesn't give me the same experience. Never has, even before I was an announcer.

I think the outpouring of love and affection Tom Durkin got during his farewells illustrates just how important his voice was to a generation of racing fans.

098poi
02-09-2015, 05:56 PM
The call of the race is an integral part of what makes the sport so exciting. The reality is you don't need the announcer and you don't need to see the race. Just make your bet on Twinspires and wait a few minutes to see if you won or lost. Great sport that would be.:rolleyes:

dilanesp
02-09-2015, 07:14 PM

I disagree with much of what you're saying but I'm obviously extremely biased. I think a good announcer adds a lot of atmosphere and color to the days events and the broadcast. Just as a bad announcer can take away from that.

I don't like watching races at all in silence. Just doesn't give me the same experience. Never has, even before I was an announcer.

I think the outpouring of love and affection Tom Durkin got during his farewells illustrates just how important his voice was to a generation of racing fans.

I don't think Durkin proves what you think it proves. Indeed, Durkin and Denman's heydays coincided with the decline and destruction of the sport.

When the sport was most popular, there were either no calls at all or very basic race callers like Joe Hernandez, Hal Moore, Harry Henson, Fred Capossella, and Jack Drees at most tracks.

I'm not saying Durkin or Denman made the sport less popular, but they clearly didn't make it more popular or arrest its decline.

Somehow in the sport's glory years, it didn't need an announcer to add "atmosphere". (Perhaps similar to baseball's and boxing's glory years where there was a lot less noise at baseball games and boxing matches too.)

jballscalls
02-09-2015, 07:17 PM
I don't think Durkin proves what you think it proves. Indeed, Durkin and Denman's heydays coincided with the decline and destruction of the sport.

When the sport was most popular, there were either no calls at all or very basic race callers like Joe Hernandez, Hal Moore, Harry Henson, Fred Capossella, and Jack Drees at most tracks.

I'm not saying Durkin or Denman made the sport less popular, but they clearly didn't make it more popular or arrest its decline.

Somehow in the sport's glory years, it didn't need an announcer to add "atmosphere". (Perhaps similar to baseball's and boxing's glory years where there was a lot less noise at baseball games and boxing matches too.)

I think you're way off base with these comparisons. expanded gaming and about 3,000 other reasons are to blame for the decline in popularity. You're also comparing times when there wasn't many other options for gaming/sport and there was no internet. Essentially it was a whole different world.

to me it sounds like you just don't like announcers, which is fine, that's your opinion and that's fine. I'd be interested to do a poll amongst horseplayers and race fans on whether they'd prefer an announcer or no announcer.

EMD4ME
02-09-2015, 07:21 PM

If you bring your girlfriend to the track or a date or a wife or a friend, it is vital that the announcer make things exciting.

Even without those scenarios, it is imperative that an announcer make the place ALIVE. I agree.

EMD4ME
02-09-2015, 07:24 PM

Oh yeah.... Tom Durkin had zero impact on 'Victory Gallop, a FINAL surge, it's going to be desperately close.....IT's TOOO CLOSE TOOOOO CALLLLL'

yeah, he added nothing to that race.

Could you imagine "name another Joe Shmo' announcer making that call?

It would DEFINATELY take away from the moment

MJC922
02-09-2015, 07:30 PM
Announcers are such a personal preference if there ever was one. Certain callers ruin the experience for me, and yet you'll find other folks who actually prefer some of the ones that I mute. To me it's a big deal for some reason, if I don't like the announcer's calls then I wouldn't choose that as a track to follow closely on a daily basis. Vic does a good job, easy to listen to. I'm ok with Collmus. I'm fine with Neuman at Calder, workmanlike. Grew up hearing Ross Morton so I have to mention him as one that I miss. If I'm leaving out names take no offense, some I just can't bear to hear, others aren't coming to mind but then again it's personal preferences anyway. Imbriale NYRA, I'm ok with too. I could listen to Durkin, expert at the job, he just wasn't necessarily a true favorite of mine. Trevor was my absolute favorite years back, seems to get shrill sometimes now though, like that call the other day with Shared belief I backed way off on the volume there. All-time favorite, Jim McGrath.

Stillriledup
02-09-2015, 07:32 PM
I think you're way off base with these comparisons. expanded gaming and about 3,000 other reasons are to blame for the decline in popularity. You're also comparing times when there wasn't many other options for gaming/sport and there was no internet. Essentially it was a whole different world.

to me it sounds like you just don't like announcers, which is fine, that's your opinion and that's fine. I'd be interested to do a poll amongst horseplayers and race fans on whether they'd prefer an announcer or no announcer.

Someone has to pay the announcer's salary....maybe if the track saves money on salaries they could pass that savings onto the customer? I don't know how the math works, but if the customers can get better prices on bets and concessions and drfs they would probably do without the announcer.

Tracks do all have announcers, so maybe the math works out for them, maybe they have determined that an announcer creates bigger betting handles by adding excitement to calls, i dont think tracks would pay announcers a salary if the revenue the announcer created was less than the actual salary.

As far as whether people prefer an announcer or not, i think the real question is does an announcer get people to bet more money on a particular track. Maybe if the Announcer is Durkin or Denman, but what about a track where the announcer is criticized a lot, like maybe Tampa for example. Are people betting more money because of Richard Grunder?

thaskalos
02-09-2015, 07:34 PM
If you bring your girlfriend to the track or a date or a wife or a friend, it is vital that the announcer make things exciting.

Even without those scenarios, it is imperative that an announcer make the place ALIVE. I agree.

If your wife or girlfriend is depending on the announcer for "excitement"...then you must be doing something wrong. :)

jballscalls
02-09-2015, 07:43 PM
Someone has to pay the announcer's salary....maybe if the track saves money on salaries they could pass that savings onto the customer? I don't know how the math works, but if the customers can get better prices on bets and concessions and drfs they would probably do without the announcer.

Tracks do all have announcers, so maybe the math works out for them, maybe they have determined that an announcer creates bigger betting handles by adding excitement to calls, i dont think tracks would pay announcers a salary if the revenue the announcer created was less than the actual salary.

As far as whether people prefer an announcer or not, i think the real question is does an announcer get people to bet more money on a particular track. Maybe if the Announcer is Durkin or Denman, but what about a track where the announcer is criticized a lot, like maybe Tampa for example. Are people betting more money because of Richard Grunder?

I'm not even going to get into this with you. Have a good evening

NJ Stinks
02-09-2015, 07:48 PM
One thing I can say for sure is that I hate going to a simulcast facility where you can't hear the call of the race. Definitely takes away from the whole racing experince, IMO.

dilanesp
02-09-2015, 08:11 PM

I like announcers! As I said, I really miss Vic's calls. And Trevor has been a delight to listen to all these years. I also enjoyed Dave Johnson back in the day.

But... I don't think they are IMPORTANT to the sport. They aren't worth arguing about. They aren't worth going on the internet and having huge discussions about how this guy is terrible or this one made a mistake or whatever.

The essence of horse racing is about the competition and the betting. Announcers provide a function-- they allow people who can't tell what is happening to obtain some information about the running of the race. That's why we have them. But they aren't important to the sport-- which is confirmed by the fact that the sport did much better when the announcers weren't as skilled as they are now.

dilanesp
02-09-2015, 08:13 PM
Oh yeah.... Tom Durkin had zero impact on 'Victory Gallop, a FINAL surge, it's going to be desperately close.....IT's TOOO CLOSE TOOOOO CALLLLL'

yeah, he added nothing to that race.

Could you imagine "name another Joe Shmo' announcer making that call?

It would DEFINATELY take away from the moment

There were probably 70,000 people at Belmont Park that day. They were all screaming. Do you think one of them heard Durkin's call?

Indeed, I doubt more than 100 people heard Durkin's call when it was made. Most of America heard Dave Johnson on ABC, remember.

That call was purely for people watching the replay later.

ReplayRandall
02-09-2015, 09:15 PM
One thing I can say for sure is that I hate going to a simulcast facility where you can't hear the call of the race. Definitely takes away from the whole racing experince, IMO.
From my vantage point, the more professional the player, the less sound they want to hear......I prefer NO sound.. :cool:

v j stauffer
02-10-2015, 01:45 AM

There was NOTHING basic about any of those guys. Except for accuracy and professionalism.

They were the VOICES of horse racing. Fans hung on their every word. The very first thing I began to love about our sport was how Harry Henson described the action at Del Mar. I was a fan of HIS first before really embracing the sport.

To this day fans reminisce about things all those gentlemen said 50 years ago.

Basic? Try Brilliant.

RXB
02-10-2015, 01:57 AM
A lot of the guys today should listen to Chic Anderson. There was a guy who understood how to convey emotion without shrieking in the big races.

For example, Collmus is one of my all-time favourites, he's excellent on the whole, but in the last sixteenth of the I'll Have Another - Bodemeister Preakness he sounded like Guy Smiley. Seriously. Well, as seriously as you can take a reference to Guy Smiley but that's the first thing that crossed my mind.

maclr11
02-10-2015, 03:09 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5PGGfTKxw4

Wouldn't races like this be helped by announcers.

They add so much to racing

Watch this race in silent and tell me its anywhere as close to as exciting as it is with Ken Miller's call.

dilanesp
02-10-2015, 03:38 PM
There was NOTHING basic about any of those guys. Except for accuracy and professionalism.

They were the VOICES of horse racing. Fans hung on their every word. The very first thing I began to love about our sport was how Harry Henson described the action at Del Mar. I was a fan of HIS first before really embracing the sport.

To this day fans reminisce about things all those gentlemen said 50 years ago.

Basic? Try Brilliant.

Vic, actually I have an extremely high opinion of Joe Hernandez, especially. I think he basically invented your craft, at least in this country.

There are some tape recordings of very old radio broadcasts of the Kentucky Derby, from the 1930's, with pioneer broadcasters like Ted Husing and Clem McCarthy and Bryan Field calling the race, very badly. They couldn't really put together a call-- they meandered, failed to paint a coherent picture of what was going on, and failed to describe the position of the horses.

I've also heard a recording of Joe Hernandez calling the 1936 Santa Anita Handicap, won by Top Row over Time Supply. It is the opposite-- it is careful, clear, and precise. Hernandez had figured out how to do it and had created the basic contours of the modern race call. Everyone who does it now owes a debt to him.

But what I meant by "basic" is this-- Hernandez, Moore, Henson, and their ilk did not add any or much color commentary to the race. They gave an accurate call, but not one with a lot of flourishes. That was how it was done back then.

But don't confuse "basic" with "bad". These guys, especially Hernandez and Henson, were very good. It's just that the idea that you need someone coming up with colorful turns of phrase or the sport is boring is a very modern idea. During the sport's golden era, people managed to get excited by the race, not the call.

PaceAdvantage
02-10-2015, 03:47 PM

Somehow in the sport's glory years, it didn't need an announcer to add "atmosphere". (Perhaps similar to baseball's and boxing's glory years where there was a lot less noise at baseball games and boxing matches too.)You couldn't be more wrong IMO. In his prime, Durkin was an INTEGRAL part of the race...not just an observer perched high above describing the action.

His TC and BC calls were ETCHED in people's minds as much as the performances on the racetrack itself.

There was a very good reason why he called those races all those years...it wasn't just luck.

Stillriledup
02-10-2015, 03:58 PM
Vic, actually I have an extremely high opinion of Joe Hernandez, especially. I think he basically invented your craft, at least in this country.

There are some tape recordings of very old radio broadcasts of the Kentucky Derby, from the 1930's, with pioneer broadcasters like Ted Husing and Clem McCarthy and Bryan Field calling the race, very badly. They couldn't really put together a call-- they meandered, failed to paint a coherent picture of what was going on, and failed to describe the position of the horses.

I've also heard a recording of Joe Hernandez calling the 1936 Santa Anita Handicap, won by Top Row over Time Supply. It is the opposite-- it is careful, clear, and precise. Hernandez had figured out how to do it and had created the basic contours of the modern race call. Everyone who does it now owes a debt to him.

But what I meant by "basic" is this-- Hernandez, Moore, Henson, and their ilk did not add any or much color commentary to the race. They gave an accurate call, but not one with a lot of flourishes. That was how it was done back then.

But don't confuse "basic" with "bad". These guys, especially Hernandez and Henson, were very good. It's just that the idea that you need someone coming up with colorful turns of phrase or the sport is boring is a very modern idea. During the sport's golden era, people managed to get excited by the race, not the call.

I love the "basic" call, announcers like Bob Meyer at Yonkers was great for these understated calls, real old school but very enjoyable to listen to. His counterpart at RR Jack E Lee was a little more flamboyant, but i also appreciated his "color" , just different styles of calling in the 80s and 90s.

I also loved Marshall Cassidy, one of my all time favorites and i loved that he wouldn't speak after the wire, if it got down to the final yards he would give a quick "in front" and try and say it before the horse was past the line, i loved that about him, not sure if all his calls were "before the line" calls but he made it a habit of doing that, which i thought put him apart from a lot of people.

Other guys i loved in that era were Bob Weems from Monmouth, Phil Georgeff at Arlington and Tony Bentley from the Fair Grounds...all great announcers with their own unique style.

Here's a 1968 call of Dr Fager by Harry Henson, interesting race at a mile and an eighth if you watch the jocks at the start, this almost looks like a quarter horse race, almost all the riders are "sending" you dont see jocks ride like this today in route races, the jocks were "all in" down the backstretch, very interesting to see these jocks riding this way, you dont see this in today's game.

O9bucY6hLbA

Redbullsnation
02-10-2015, 04:16 PM
I just ignore SRU. He seems to be the pot stirrer that almost every forum has. Just let him mess about in his business and get out of the way :)

dilanesp
02-10-2015, 04:20 PM
You couldn't be more wrong IMO. In his prime, Durkin was an INTEGRAL part of the race...not just an observer perched high above describing the action.

His TC and BC calls were ETCHED in people's minds as much as the performances on the racetrack itself.

There was a very good reason why he called those races all those years...it wasn't just luck.

I attended many Breeders' Cups and one Triple Crown attempt, and I can report that I did not hear one word of any of Durkin's calls during those races from the 3/8th pole to the wire. Neither did anyone else. Yet the crowd screamed.

You seriously believe ANYONE watching, say, the 1989 Breeders' Cup Classic live at Gulfstream was listening to the ANNOUNCER?

Stillriledup
02-10-2015, 04:30 PM
I just ignore SRU. He seems to be the pot stirrer that almost every forum has. Just let him mess about in his business and get out of the way :)

I just post my opinions, its other people who stir the pot by not being able to respond to me in a courteous manner...the pot stirring comes from 5th grade tactics and silly name calling, none of that ever comes from me or is started by me.

thaskalos
02-10-2015, 04:40 PM
I attended many Breeders' Cups and one Triple Crown attempt, and I can report that I did not hear one word of any of Durkin's calls during those races from the 3/8th pole to the wire. Neither did anyone else. Yet the crowd screamed.

You seriously believe ANYONE watching, say, the 1989 Breeders' Cup Classic live at Gulfstream was listening to the ANNOUNCER?
The announcer is mostly a thankless job...because he is only really noticed when he screws up. Even the announcing legends (Durkin, Denman, etc...) are mostly remembered for their glaring mistakes...even though their respective fans deny this. :)

Stillriledup
02-10-2015, 04:45 PM

I was at GP for that race and i didnt hear the announcer at all during the stretch run. I was either too focused on the race or the crowd was drowning out the call. I think the same thing was true at CD when Zenyatta was charging at Blame, no chance you would have heard that call until afterwards.

PaceAdvantage
02-10-2015, 05:17 PM

You seriously believe ANYONE watching, say, the 1989 Breeders' Cup Classic live at Gulfstream was listening to the ANNOUNCER?Why would I be talking about live attendance in this instance? Why even bring that up?

Must I spell everything out?

Robert Fischer
02-10-2015, 05:27 PM

sounds like you are moving the goal posts here

dilanesp
02-10-2015, 05:30 PM
Why would I be talking about live attendance in this instance? Why even bring that up?

Must I spell everything out?

1. Well, you twice mentioned Durkin calling Triple Crown attempts, and Victory Gallop beating Real Quiet was singled out as a particularly great call.

How many people do you think heard that call? Bear in mind, it wasn't on ABC, and the people at the track didn't hear it because they were screaming.

2. The fact that the people at the track are screaming and can't hear the call is PRECISELY the point. If announcing were so integral to making the race exciting, why would a live crowd scream at a race where they can't hear the announcer?

Obviously, all those people watching those races I named and screaming and yelling didn't need Tom Durkin one bit. Indeed, they would not have even noticed if his microphone went out. So how can anyone possibly say announcing is integral.

It's precisely the opposite. Announcing is superfluous when you have a great race. The crowd screams, they know what they are seeing, and the announcer isn't even heard except by television viewers (and they may be hearing a different announcer).

whodoyoulike
02-10-2015, 05:31 PM

I don't think you should ignore him. This is a forum to discuss your ideas and he's pretty good at looking at things differently.

Now, I don't agree with everything he says or ideas he thinks up but, he is blunt. Maybe, he just needs to tone it down a bit at times. And, the time he started writing in third person was a little too much even for me but, I still enjoyed it.

The Hawk
02-10-2015, 08:10 PM
One thing I'll add to this: Up until the early to mid 80's, racecallers, would stop calling the race at around the 1/8th pole. It was kind of cool, as (back then, anyway) the crowd noise would take over. "We'll test these two to the wire!"

v j stauffer
02-10-2015, 09:54 PM

When Harry and Joe where at their peak they changed the entire on track experience. When you say basic perhaps their words were. However, their passion was what we all FELT as much as heard.

Tom and Trevor changed everything when our sport became a telecast. For every 1 person at the races there were 500 watching and listening someplace else. They realized that and became deserved icons.

While I admit people on track do not hear the live call. How many were in the stadium when Al Michaels asked " Do you believe in miracles ". He was saying that for all of us that couldn't be there. BTW that game was on tape delay. Almost everybody who was watching already knew the outcome and he STILL took our breath away and sent chills down our spine.

Great race calls are just the same. They complete the experience of being a fan. When we wax poetic about the thrills and chills we've seen over the years, how often does the call come into play? For me, almost always. "moving like a tremendous machine" " this is un-be-lievable" "the two derby winners hit the wire together" " Mike Smith let's the Bull roll but there's cause for Concern" "cigar" and many many others.

To say as a player you don't care about the announcers if perfectly fine. I get it. But you're just that a player. Which is cool. But you're not a fan IMO.

The mute button is there at your disposal. Nobody's feelings will be hurt if you choose to watch the chiclets.

Just think if we would have had those to watch in the form of a flying baseball. We wouldn't have had to be bothered with "THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT. THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT"

v j stauffer
02-10-2015, 09:57 PM
One thing I'll add to this: Up until the early to mid 80's, racecallers, would stop calling the race at around the 1/8th pole. It was kind of cool, as (back then, anyway) the crowd noise would take over. "We'll test these two to the wire!"

What other sport would even THINK of such nonsense.

Are you kidding me?

OMG

v j stauffer
02-10-2015, 10:08 PM
The announcers of the past were cutting edge for their time.

Wolfman Jack, Kasey Kasum.

The world has evolved and so have the voices.

Howard Stern, Dom Imus.

Everything changes.

The market demands that.

In their time Harry and Joe and Chic were the GREATEST.

In our time it's Tom and Trevor and Larry.

That's simply the way the world works.

The horses were the greatest.

Citation, Seabiscuit, Man O War

Then came Affirmed, John Henry, Secretaraiat

Now it's Rachael, Zenyatta, Curlin, Ghostzapper, Shared Belief.

Can you imagine any of those legends running and thrilling us in silence?

I would HATE that!

dilanesp
02-10-2015, 10:11 PM
When Harry and Joe where at their peak they changed the entire on track experience. When you say basic perhaps their words were. However, their passion was what we all FELT as much as heard.

Tom and Trevor changed everything when our sport became a telecast. For every 1 person at the races there were 500 watching and listening someplace else. They realized that and became deserved icons.

While I admit people on track do not hear the live call. How many were in the stadium when Al Michaels asked " Do you believe in miracles ". He was saying that for all of us that couldn't be there. BTW that game was on tape delay. Almost everybody who was watching already knew the outcome and he STILL took our breath away and sent chills down our spine.

Great race calls are just the same. They complete the experience of being a fan. When we wax poetic about the thrills and chills we've seen over the years, how often does the call come into play? For me, almost always. "moving like a tremendous machine" " this is un-be-lievable" "the two derby winners hit the wire together" " Mike Smith let's the Bull roll but there's cause for Concern" "cigar" and many many others.

To say as a player you don't care about the announcers if perfectly fine. I get it. But you're just that a player. Which is cool. But you're not a fan IMO.

The mute button is there at your disposal. Nobody's feelings will be hurt if you choose to watch the chiclets.

Just think if we would have had those to watch in the form of a flying baseball. We wouldn't have had to be bothered with "THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT. THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT"

Vic, I think you overrate the narration. It's true that a great narrative can be remembered. But you mention baseball-- I can name numerous famous baseball events that are well known with the public at large and which are NOT associated with any call as iconic as Russ Hodges'. They include: (1) Mazeroski's home run, (2) Aaron's 715th, (3) Nolan Ryan's seven no hitters, (4) Bill Buckner's error, (5) Steve Bartman's fan interference, etc. There's a ton of them where few people remember what the announcer said but everyone remembers the play.

And you note Secretariat's Triple Crown was accompanied by an iconic racecall. So was Affirmed's, by the way. But does anyone remember Anderson's call of Seattle Slew's Belmont, or ANY call of Citation's? And yet people remember Seattle Slew and Citation winning the Triple Crown.

You are confusing correlation with causation. Sometimes announcers rise to the occasion and you get an amazing set of words. Other times, they don't. But people still remember the event.

I doubt anyone remembers what Al Michaels said when Wilson's pass was intercepted at the goal line last week, and Michaels is an excellent announcer. But the play, and the play call, is going to be remembered for a long time anyway. Announcing is a bells and whistle issue. The sport is what is compelling. And it was compelling back in the day when there wasn't as many bells and whistles-- indeed, track attendance figures indicate it was MORE compelling back then.

v j stauffer
02-10-2015, 10:23 PM
Vic, I think you overrate the narration. It's true that a great narrative can be remembered. But you mention baseball-- I can name numerous famous baseball events that are well known with the public at large and which are NOT associated with any call as iconic as Russ Hodges'. They include: (1) Mazeroski's home run, (2) Aaron's 715th, (3) Nolan Ryan's seven no hitters, (4) Bill Buckner's error, (5) Steve Bartman's fan interference, etc. There's a ton of them where few people remember what the announcer said but everyone remembers the play.

And you note Secretariat's Triple Crown was accompanied by an iconic racecall. So was Affirmed's, by the way. But does anyone remember Anderson's call of Seattle Slew's Belmont, or ANY call of Citation's? And yet people remember Seattle Slew and Citation winning the Triple Crown.

You are confusing correlation with causation. Sometimes announcers rise to the occasion and you get an amazing set of words. Other times, they don't. But people still remember the event.

I doubt anyone remembers what Al Michaels said when Wilson's pass was intercepted at the goal line last week, and Michaels is an excellent announcer. But the play, and the play call, is going to be remembered for a long time anyway. Announcing is a bells and whistle issue. The sport is what is compelling. And it was compelling back in the day when there wasn't as many bells and whistles-- indeed, track attendance figures indicate it was MORE compelling back then.

Of course you can find examples where the announcer didn't necessarily add to the moment.

That doesn't mean it would have better without any call.

While countless sports and worlds events moments have been added to by the voices who described them.

Why lobby for subtraction?

We all get something.

Your examples mean nothing to those of us that thrilled to the words in other circumstances.

ReplayRandall
02-10-2015, 10:31 PM
Of course you can find examples where the announcer didn't necessarily add to the moment.

That doesn't mean it would have better without any call.

While countless sports and worlds events moments have been added to by the voices who described them.

Why lobby for subtraction?

We all get something.

Your examples mean nothing to those of us that thrilled to the words in other circumstances.
Get off your high-horse Vic, the MUTE button is there for a reason, and sometimes it was used on YOUR calls.....Dilanesp's post was spot-on, as sometimes others announce, speak and post better than you. Just accept it and move on......

thaskalos
02-10-2015, 10:40 PM
Get off your high-horse Vic, the MUTE button is there for a reason, and sometimes it was used on YOUR calls.....Dilanesp's post was spot-on, as sometimes others announce, speak and post better than you. Just accept it and move on......
Don't mince words, Randall...tell us what you REALLY think. :D

v j stauffer
02-10-2015, 10:41 PM

What? MY high horse? I totally acknowledged anyone's right to the MUTE button. There's plenty of places to howl at the moon and scream vituperations.

Why bust into a salient conversation with crap?

Be patient. DMFF could be coming back.

Till then. Thanks for listening!

ReplayRandall
02-10-2015, 10:51 PM
What? MY high horse? I totally acknowledged anyone's right to the MUTE button. There's plenty of places to howl at the moon and scream vituperations.

Why bust into a salient conversation with crap?

Be patient. DMFF could be coming back.

Till then. Thanks for listening!
Glad I could only read your post and not have to HEAR it..... :lol:

v j stauffer
02-10-2015, 11:00 PM
Glad I could only read your post and not have to HEAR it..... :lol:

Every time I delude myself into thinking I can re-expand my contributions on these forums words like yours pop up and I'm forced back into just reading.

I wish that wasn't the case.

I haven't called a race since Dec. 22 2013.

You don't see me referee and most of the time I'm the Safety Steward.

Wouldn't it be more fun to pick on someone else?

AndyC
02-10-2015, 11:11 PM
Every time I delude myself into thinking I can re-expand my contributions on these forums words like yours pop up and I'm forced back into just reading.

Vic, FWIW I miss your race calls. You brought great passion and fun to the races. What other caller has used the word "chillax" during a race call to fulfill a fan's request?

ReplayRandall
02-10-2015, 11:14 PM

When you quit posting the following, I'll have more respect for your opinion and so will others:

Here's my schedule.

12717 GoldenGateOB Referee 11/20/2014 Thu
5:00 PM Basketball, Scrimmage B-JV Marin Academy Marin Academy San Rafael

13333 GoldenGateOB Referee 11/25/2014 Tue
4:30 PM Basketball, Sonoma County Boys Freshman Maria Carrillo Maria Carrillo San Rafael

13308 GoldenGateOB Referee 11/28/2014 Fri
4:30 PM Basketball, Marin County Girls Freshman San Rafael San Rafael Casa Grande

13309 GoldenGateOB Referee 11/28/2014 Fri
6:00 PM Basketball, Marin County Girls JV San Rafael San Rafael Casa Grande

12529 GoldenGateOB Referee 12/2/2014 Tue
4:30 PM Basketball, Sonoma County Girls Freshman Sonoma Valley Sonoma Valley San Rafael

13284 GoldenGateOB Umpire 12/3/2014 Wed
3:30 PM Basketball, Lobo Frosh Boys tourney Elsie Allen TBA TBA

13285 GoldenGateOB Referee 12/3/2014 Wed
5:00 PM Basketball, Lobo Frosh Boys tourney Elsie Allen TBA TBA

13291 GoldenGateOB Umpire 12/4/2014 Thu

13292 GoldenGateOB Referee 12/4/2014 Thu
6:30 PM Basketball, Lobo Frosh Boys tourney Elsie Allen TBA TBA

11882 GoldenGateOB Umpire 12/5/2014 Fri
6:30 PM Basketball, Henry Sarlatte Boys Frosh Tourney Rancho Cotate TBA TBA

11892 GoldenGateOB Referee 12/5/2014 Fri
8:00 PM Basketball, Henry Sarlatte Girls Frosh Tourney Rancho Cotate TBA TBA

11873 GoldenGateOB Referee 12/9/2014 Tue
5:00 PM Basketball, Sonoma County Girls JV Montgomery Montgomery Redwood

13368 GoldenGateOB Referee 12/10/2014 Wed
4:00 PM Basketball, Marin County Boys Freshman Terra Linda Terra Linda Marin Academy

12780 GoldenGateOB Referee 12/12/2014 Fri
4:00 PM Basketball, Marin County Boys Freshman San Rafael San Rafael Sonoma Valley

12781 GoldenGateOB Umpire 12/12/2014 Fri
5:30 PM Basketball, Marin County Boys JV San Rafael San Rafael Sonoma Vallley

13381 GoldenGateOB Umpire 12/13/2014 Sat
8:30 AM Basketball, Tamalpais Lady Hawks Girls Varsity Tamalpais TBA TBA

13378 GoldenGateOB Referee 12/13/2014 Sat
10:00 AM Basketball, Tamalpais Lady Hawks Girls Varsity Tamalpais TBA TBA

12993 GoldenGateOB Referee 12/16/2014 Tue
5:30 PM Basketball, Marin County Boys JV Branson Branson Bentley

13060 GoldenGateOB Umpire 12/19/2014 Fri
3:30 PM Basketball, Marin Catholic G-JV Tournament Marin Catholic Windsor Novato

13061 GoldenGateOB Referee 12/19/2014 Fri
5:00 PM Basketball, Marin Catholic G-JV Tournament Marin Catholic Marin Catholic St. Mary's

13162 GoldenGateOB Referee 12/20/2014 Sat
12:00 PM Basketball, Marin Catholic G-JV Tournament Marin Catholic TBA TBA

13163 GoldenGateOB Umpire 12/20/2014 Sat
1:30 PM Basketball, Marin Catholic G-JV Tournament Marin Catholic TBA TBA

12975 GoldenGateOB Umpire 12/22/2014 Mon
10:00 AM Basketball, Novato HS B-Frosh Kringle Classic Novato TBA TBA

12976 GoldenGateOB Referee 12/22/2014 Mon
11:30 AM Basketball, Novato HS B-Frosh Kringle Classic Novato TBA TBA

12644 GoldenGateOB Referee 12/23/2014 Tue
6:00 PM Basketball, Marin County Boys JV Novato Novato Elsie Allen

12806 GoldenGateOB Umpire 12/29/2014 Mon
5:30 PM Basketball, Paul Ferreboeuf San Marin B-JV Tournament San Marin TBA TBA

12807 GoldenGateOB Referee 12/29/2014 Mon
7:00 PM Basketball, Paul Ferreboeuf San Marin B-JV Tournament San Marin TBA TBA

12351 GoldenGateOB Umpire 12/30/2014 Tue
3:00 PM Basketball, Card Newman Sweet 16 Frosh Boys Cardinal Newman TBA TBA

12352 GoldenGateOB Referee 12/30/2014 Tue
4:30 PM Basketball, Card Newman Sweet 16 Frosh Boys Cardinal Newman TBA TBA

12357 GoldenGateOB Referee 12/31/2014 Wed
12:00 PM Basketball, Card Newman Sweet 16 Frosh Boys Cardinal Newman TBA TBA

12358 GoldenGateOB Umpire 12/31/2014 Wed
1:30 PM Basketball, Card Newman Sweet 16 Frosh Boys Cardinal Newman TBA TBA

12881 GoldenGateOB Umpire 1/2/2015 Fri
5:45 PM Basketball, Marin County Boys Freshman Drake Drake Marin Catholic

12882 GoldenGateOB Umpire 1/2/2015 Fri
7:00 PM Basketball, Marin County Girls JV Drake Drake Marin Catholic

12892 GoldenGateOB Umpire 1/6/2015 Tue
4:30 PM Basketball, Marin County Boys Freshman Redwood Redwood Justin-Siena

12893 GoldenGateOB Umpire 1/6/2015 Tue
5:45 PM Basketball, Marin County Girls JV Redwood Redwood Justin-Siena

11971 GoldenGateOB Umpire 1/12/2015 Mon
4:30 PM Basketball, Sonoma County Boys Freshman Analy Analy Piner

12915 GoldenGateOB Umpire 1/13/2015 Tue
4:30 PM Basketball, Marin County Girls Freshman Redwood Redwood Tamalpais

11974 GoldenGateOB Referee 1/14/2015 Wed
4:30 PM Basketball, Sonoma County Boys Freshman El Molino El Molino Elsie Allen

12925 GoldenGateOB Referee 1/16/2015 Fri
4:30 PM Basketball, Marin County Boys Freshman Terra Linda Terra Linda San Rafael

12065 GoldenGateOB Referee 1/16/2015 Fri
5:45 PM Basketball, Marin County Boys JV Terra Linda Terra Linda San Rafael

13090 GoldenGateOB Umpire 1/20/2015 Tue
4:30 PM Basketball, Marin County Girls Freshman San Rafael San Rafael Drake

13233 GoldenGateOB Umpire 1/20/2015 Tue
7:00 PM Basketball, Marin County Boys JV San Rafael San Rafael Drake

11603 GoldenGateOB Umpire 1/21/2015 Wed
4:30 PM Basketball, Sonoma County Girls Freshman Casa Grande Casa Grande Montgomery

13104 GoldenGateOB Umpire 1/30/2015 Fri
4:30 PM Basketball, Marin County Boys Freshman Tamalpais Tamalpais Terra Linda

13106 GoldenGateOB Referee 1/30/2015 Fri
5:45 PM Basketball, Marin County Girls JV Tamalpais Tamalpais Terra Linda

Goofing in Marin.

VJS

v j stauffer
02-10-2015, 11:26 PM
When you quit posting the following, I'll have more respect for your opinion and so will others:

Here's my schedule.

12717 GoldenGateOB Referee 11/20/2014 Thu
5:00 PM Basketball, Scrimmage B-JV Marin Academy Marin Academy San Rafael

13333 GoldenGateOB Referee 11/25/2014 Tue
4:30 PM Basketball, Sonoma County Boys Freshman Maria Carrillo Maria Carrillo San Rafael

13308 GoldenGateOB Referee 11/28/2014 Fri
4:30 PM Basketball, Marin County Girls Freshman San Rafael San Rafael Casa Grande

13309 GoldenGateOB Referee 11/28/2014 Fri
6:00 PM Basketball, Marin County Girls JV San Rafael San Rafael Casa Grande

12529 GoldenGateOB Referee 12/2/2014 Tue
4:30 PM Basketball, Sonoma County Girls Freshman Sonoma Valley Sonoma Valley San Rafael

13284 GoldenGateOB Umpire 12/3/2014 Wed
3:30 PM Basketball, Lobo Frosh Boys tourney Elsie Allen TBA TBA

13285 GoldenGateOB Referee 12/3/2014 Wed

13291 GoldenGateOB Umpire 12/4/2014 Thu

13292 GoldenGateOB Referee 12/4/2014 Thu
6:30 PM Basketball, Lobo Frosh Boys tourney Elsie Allen TBA TBA

11882 GoldenGateOB Umpire 12/5/2014 Fri
6:30 PM Basketball, Henry Sarlatte Boys Frosh Tourney Rancho Cotate TBA TBA

11892 GoldenGateOB Referee 12/5/2014 Fri
8:00 PM Basketball, Henry Sarlatte Girls Frosh Tourney Rancho Cotate TBA TBA

11873 GoldenGateOB Referee 12/9/2014 Tue
5:00 PM Basketball, Sonoma County Girls JV Montgomery Montgomery Redwood

13368 GoldenGateOB Referee 12/10/2014 Wed
4:00 PM Basketball, Marin County Boys Freshman Terra Linda Terra Linda Marin Academy

12780 GoldenGateOB Referee 12/12/2014 Fri
4:00 PM Basketball, Marin County Boys Freshman San Rafael San Rafael Sonoma Valley

12781 GoldenGateOB Umpire 12/12/2014 Fri
5:30 PM Basketball, Marin County Boys JV San Rafael San Rafael Sonoma Vallley

13381 GoldenGateOB Umpire 12/13/2014 Sat
8:30 AM Basketball, Tamalpais Lady Hawks Girls Varsity Tamalpais TBA TBA

13378 GoldenGateOB Referee 12/13/2014 Sat
10:00 AM Basketball, Tamalpais Lady Hawks Girls Varsity Tamalpais TBA TBA

12993 GoldenGateOB Referee 12/16/2014 Tue
5:30 PM Basketball, Marin County Boys JV Branson Branson Bentley

13060 GoldenGateOB Umpire 12/19/2014 Fri
3:30 PM Basketball, Marin Catholic G-JV Tournament Marin Catholic Windsor Novato

13061 GoldenGateOB Referee 12/19/2014 Fri
5:00 PM Basketball, Marin Catholic G-JV Tournament Marin Catholic Marin Catholic St. Mary's

13162 GoldenGateOB Referee 12/20/2014 Sat
12:00 PM Basketball, Marin Catholic G-JV Tournament Marin Catholic TBA TBA

13163 GoldenGateOB Umpire 12/20/2014 Sat
1:30 PM Basketball, Marin Catholic G-JV Tournament Marin Catholic TBA TBA

12975 GoldenGateOB Umpire 12/22/2014 Mon
10:00 AM Basketball, Novato HS B-Frosh Kringle Classic Novato TBA TBA

12976 GoldenGateOB Referee 12/22/2014 Mon
11:30 AM Basketball, Novato HS B-Frosh Kringle Classic Novato TBA TBA

12644 GoldenGateOB Referee 12/23/2014 Tue
6:00 PM Basketball, Marin County Boys JV Novato Novato Elsie Allen

12806 GoldenGateOB Umpire 12/29/2014 Mon
5:30 PM Basketball, Paul Ferreboeuf San Marin B-JV Tournament San Marin TBA TBA

12807 GoldenGateOB Referee 12/29/2014 Mon
7:00 PM Basketball, Paul Ferreboeuf San Marin B-JV Tournament San Marin TBA TBA

12351 GoldenGateOB Umpire 12/30/2014 Tue
3:00 PM Basketball, Card Newman Sweet 16 Frosh Boys Cardinal Newman TBA TBA

12352 GoldenGateOB Referee 12/30/2014 Tue
4:30 PM Basketball, Card Newman Sweet 16 Frosh Boys Cardinal Newman TBA TBA

12357 GoldenGateOB Referee 12/31/2014 Wed
12:00 PM Basketball, Card Newman Sweet 16 Frosh Boys Cardinal Newman TBA TBA

12358 GoldenGateOB Umpire 12/31/2014 Wed
1:30 PM Basketball, Card Newman Sweet 16 Frosh Boys Cardinal Newman TBA TBA

12881 GoldenGateOB Umpire 1/2/2015 Fri
5:45 PM Basketball, Marin County Boys Freshman Drake Drake Marin Catholic

12882 GoldenGateOB Umpire 1/2/2015 Fri
7:00 PM Basketball, Marin County Girls JV Drake Drake Marin Catholic

12892 GoldenGateOB Umpire 1/6/2015 Tue
4:30 PM Basketball, Marin County Boys Freshman Redwood Redwood Justin-Siena

12893 GoldenGateOB Umpire 1/6/2015 Tue
5:45 PM Basketball, Marin County Girls JV Redwood Redwood Justin-Siena

11971 GoldenGateOB Umpire 1/12/2015 Mon
4:30 PM Basketball, Sonoma County Boys Freshman Analy Analy Piner

12915 GoldenGateOB Umpire 1/13/2015 Tue
4:30 PM Basketball, Marin County Girls Freshman Redwood Redwood Tamalpais

11974 GoldenGateOB Referee 1/14/2015 Wed
4:30 PM Basketball, Sonoma County Boys Freshman El Molino El Molino Elsie Allen

12925 GoldenGateOB Referee 1/16/2015 Fri
4:30 PM Basketball, Marin County Boys Freshman Terra Linda Terra Linda San Rafael

12065 GoldenGateOB Referee 1/16/2015 Fri
5:45 PM Basketball, Marin County Boys JV Terra Linda Terra Linda San Rafael

13090 GoldenGateOB Umpire 1/20/2015 Tue
4:30 PM Basketball, Marin County Girls Freshman San Rafael San Rafael Drake

13233 GoldenGateOB Umpire 1/20/2015 Tue
7:00 PM Basketball, Marin County Boys JV San Rafael San Rafael Drake

11603 GoldenGateOB Umpire 1/21/2015 Wed
4:30 PM Basketball, Sonoma County Girls Freshman Casa Grande Casa Grande Montgomery

13104 GoldenGateOB Umpire 1/30/2015 Fri
4:30 PM Basketball, Marin County Boys Freshman Tamalpais Tamalpais Terra Linda

13106 GoldenGateOB Referee 1/30/2015 Fri
5:45 PM Basketball, Marin County Girls JV Tamalpais Tamalpais Terra Linda

Goofing in Marin.

VJS

Some people asked about my reffing schedule. It's something I truly enjoy and like sharing it with others. What has that got to do with you or anybody else having respect for my opinion?

C'mon man. There are plenty of people to annoy. Why me?

olddaddy
02-10-2015, 11:27 PM
Vic, That was a nice schedule. I obviously never called races but looking at your schedule reminds me that was the most fun "job" I ever had. Keep enjoying it while you can.

v j stauffer
02-10-2015, 11:37 PM
Vic, That was a nice schedule. I obviously never called races but looking at your schedule reminds me that was the most fun "job" I ever had. Keep enjoying it while you can.

Yeah. Season ends this week. Got up to Varsity Girls last few weeks. Pretty proud of that since it's only my 3rd year in this association.

Going to a 3-man camp this summer with high hopes of doing Varsity Boys next year.

Baseball starts in 3 weeks. :)

olddaddy
02-10-2015, 11:47 PM
Yeah. Season ends this week. Got up to Varsity Girls last few weeks. Pretty proud of that since it's only my 3rd year in this association.

Going to a 3-man camp this summer with high hopes of doing Varsity Boys next year.

Baseball starts in 3 weeks. :)

I was in it for 4 years and never got above girls jv, then had to demote myself back to grade school till the old bones finally gave out. Always wanted to ump but the job that put food on table kicked in when the weather got better. Hope to hear you get varsity boys next year.

PaceAdvantage
02-11-2015, 08:06 AM
1. Well, you twice mentioned Durkin calling Triple Crown attempts, and Victory Gallop beating Real Quiet was singled out as a particularly great call.

How many people do you think heard that call? Bear in mind, it wasn't on ABC, and the people at the track didn't hear it because they were screaming.

2. The fact that the people at the track are screaming and can't hear the call is PRECISELY the point. If announcing were so integral to making the race exciting, why would a live crowd scream at a race where they can't hear the announcer?

Obviously, all those people watching those races I named and screaming and yelling didn't need Tom Durkin one bit. Indeed, they would not have even noticed if his microphone went out. So how can anyone possibly say announcing is integral.

It's precisely the opposite. Announcing is superfluous when you have a great race. The crowd screams, they know what they are seeing, and the announcer isn't even heard except by television viewers (and they may be hearing a different announcer).I wrote TC races, not specifically TC attempts. And Durkn didn't call the Victory Gallop races live on National TV? Dave Johnson still had that back then?

Funny, but I bet nobody remembers that call...wonder why

camourous
02-11-2015, 09:57 AM
I wrote TC races, not specifically TC attempts. And Durkn didn't call the Victory Gallop races live on National TV? Dave Johnson still had that back then?

Funny, but I bet nobody remembers that call...wonder why

I actually watched the Smarty Jones Belmont early today and then watched the Victory Gallop race, had to click 5 different videos to find the one with Durkin announcing it. Johnson did it for ABC

v j stauffer
02-13-2015, 02:33 AM
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall

If you thought posting my schedule was bad. Watch this broken down old gelding.

http://youtu.be/E8GB0QPy5WQ

ReplayRandall
02-13-2015, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall

If you thought posting my schedule was bad. Watch this broken down old gelding.

http://youtu.be/E8GB0QPy5WQ
You win......Anyone who can show a clip of themselves running(?) that slow, has a lot of humility and they're OK by me.. :cool:

Redbullsnation
02-13-2015, 11:37 PM
I don't think you should ignore him. This is a forum to discuss your ideas and he's pretty good at looking at things differently.

Now, I don't agree with everything he says or ideas he thinks up but, he is blunt. Maybe, he just needs to tone it down a bit at times. And, the time he started writing in third person was a little too much even for me but, I still enjoyed it.

He's like a brick wall. Try to put something that sticks and it'll just deflect it right off. I just give up and say, hey, these announcers must love the ignore lists on some of these forums. MY WORD :o

v j stauffer
02-14-2015, 03:08 AM
You win......Anyone who can show a clip of themselves running(?) that slow, has a lot of humility and they're OK by me.. :cool:

It feels fast. But certainly doesn't look it. :)

ultracapper
07-31-2015, 02:19 AM
Listen to poor Trevor call Scuti De Patuti's win on June 28, 2015.

Grits
07-31-2015, 10:49 AM
Listen to poor Trevor call Scuti De Patuti's win on June 28, 2015.

An owner gives a horse a name this goofy and it's the racecaller's weakness? I'm sorry, I don't think so.

ultracapper
07-31-2015, 03:45 PM
I wasn't pointing out any weakness on Denman's part, just the humor in trying to spit it out a half dozen times during a stretch run.

Grits
07-31-2015, 04:53 PM
I wasn't pointing out any weakness on Denman's part, just the humor in trying to spit it out a half dozen times during a stretch run.

I probably couldn't get it out that quickly, once in the stretch. What a silly name.