PDA

View Full Version : Honoring Luke

cj's dad
07-16-2008, 02:07 PM
The 1st @ Ellis was not called at the track- nice gesture:ThmbUp:

Marshall Bennett
07-16-2008, 02:10 PM
Caught that . Quite emotional , well done .

cj's dad
07-16-2008, 03:07 PM
Caught that . Quite emotional , well done .

Unfortunately, track management couldn't do this for the entire card- they had to bring Mike B. Classless - IMO

bigmack
07-16-2008, 03:25 PM
Unfortunately, track management couldn't do this for the entire card- they had to bring Mike B. Classless - IMO
Classless is a pretty strong word. How'd you come to that conclusion?

rastajenk
07-16-2008, 03:38 PM
Might it be classless to impose one's own values from far away on to those in a tough situation trying to do the best they can?

cj's dad
07-16-2008, 04:00 PM
Classless is a pretty strong word. How'd you come to that conclusion?

How does management make the determination that 1 race is enough of a tribute to their regular announcer? Keeneland for many years had a call-less race and the patrons were fine with that. I simply do not understand why EP could not go 1 day without having someone call the races. So yes, I do think it was not a class move on their part; that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

whyhorseofcourse
07-16-2008, 04:10 PM
How does management make the determination that 1 race is enough of a tribute to their regular announcer? Keeneland for many years had a call-less race and the patrons were fine with that. I simply do not understand why EP could not go 1 day without having someone call the races. So yes, I do think it was not a class move on their part; that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Its better then doing nothing at all.
They showed respect for Luke.

GlenninOhio
07-16-2008, 06:42 PM
1. If Ellis had just gone "business as usual" and had Mike call the entire card today (race 1 included), I wonder if anyone would have complained. Instead, they do something classy in Luke's honor (no call for race 1) and now they open themselves up to charges of not being classy enough.

2. Just for clarity, Mike is doing this only until Ellis finds a permanent replacement - he has stated he is not interested in the job.

Seems to me like a lot of class on several fronts here.

Marshall Bennett
07-16-2008, 07:24 PM
I thought they did a fine job in Luke's honor , feel like he would have wanted the race calling to continue . Thats only my opinion .

mannyberrios
07-16-2008, 07:29 PM
Poor Mike B.

Bruddah
07-16-2008, 08:31 PM

Nowhere in his (cj's dad) post does he mention or is he critical of Mike B., and he is absolutely correct in his assesment. The old feller and me see this thing as it really is; 'a moment of silence, then play ball'. Utterly classless. :ThmbDown:

Sh*t! A horse goes down and everyone wants to mourn for weeks and hold Congressional hearings and change and Industry. God help me, this World has utterly and completely..gone f*cking crazy!!

Zman179
07-16-2008, 10:00 PM

What the hell do you want? They went silent for the first race and Ellis said that they are going to name a stakes race after Luke. Yet they're classless.

Ummhmm, yeah right. :bang:

vikingrob
07-16-2008, 10:14 PM
Actually, one idea that I kicked around with a friend was a wallpaper image of a pair of binoculars, with a microphone resting on it, in the announcer's booth.

However, one would expect that in this circumstance, for the first race, i would have only had Battaglia in the booth in the event of a late scratch or an inquiry.

cj's dad
07-16-2008, 10:59 PM
What the hell do you want? They went silent for the first race and Ellis said that they are going to name a stakes race after Luke. Yet they're classless.

Ummhmm, yeah right. :bang:

There were two groups watching todays races at EP; the simulcast crowd and the live attendees at the track. I would assume that the patrons at EP were predominately regulars and would know first hand that Luke had passed away and would understand why there are no calls for todays card. The second group, the TV watchers do not really need a call to see what is transpiring before them and therefore do not need a live call. After all, how many of us have been to the track and/or OTB and have not heard a word the track announcers are saying?

When one passes on, there is typically one or two days of mourning (visitation) followed by a service of some sort (depending on one's beliefs) and then at some point people move on as best they can with their lives. In this case, Luke K. dies unexpectadely and the management decides that 1 race (1+ minutes) without a call is what his dedication to EP was worth? I simply think that ,at best, it was a poor decision and that at its worst it was lacking class.

Speed Figure
07-16-2008, 11:05 PM
Is there a story anywhere? I've seen nothing.

Javagold
07-17-2008, 08:58 AM
sounds like they did a good thing and why anyone is ripping them for leaving "only" one race silent, is beyond me !!!!.....they paid their respects , not much more they could or should do

sandpit
07-17-2008, 09:51 AM
Is there a story anywhere? I've seen nothing.

http://www.courierpress.com/news/2008/jul/17/ellis-mourns-creates-honors/

As the story mentions, Ellis is planning on doing several things to honor Luke's memory.

Everyone is entitled to their take on this issue, so this is meant as no disrespect to anyone here: As Luke's friend for the past 10 years, I was very touched by what Ellis did yesterday. It reminded me of what the Washington Redskins did when they tragically lost Sean Taylor: They played their first play with just 10 defenders on the field, and then did their best to play on for the remainder of the game.

I also feel for Mike; no matter what one thinks of his racecalling style, he is in a very tough situation. Like Luke, he has a strong love for the game and takes his work very seriously. I'm sure the local fans at Ellis, who are as loyal as any in racing, will give him respect and embrace whomever the management chooses as their new announcer.

PaceAdvantage
07-18-2008, 03:13 AM
I think it's a little classless to get into petty squabbles about whether or not Ellis was "classy" enough, in a thread entitled "Honoring Luke"

How about we put away the swords, in this thread at least....thanks....

Valuist
07-19-2008, 10:27 AM
I haven't followed racing much in the past week.....was shocked to hear about Krytbosch. I agree w/those who feel Ellis handled things just fine.

cj's dad
07-19-2008, 11:14 AM
I think it's a little classless to get into petty squabbles about whether or not Ellis was "classy" enough, in a thread entitled "Honoring Luke"

How about we put away the swords, in this thread at least....thanks....

PA,

When I began this thread, it was done immediately after the 1st @ Ellis Park. I made the assumption that this would be continued for the remainder of the day. Starting the 2nd I heard the voice of Mike B. and was surprised, then p--sed at this decision by EP. Am I not entitled to my opinion here? And are others not allowed to agree/disagree with same? The subsequent posts have nothing to do with Lukes memory only the decision by EP.

Marshall Bennett
07-19-2008, 12:10 PM
Seems to me it would have been bizarre to run an entire card without a race call . I truely respect your opinion , just seems strange . :confused:

BillW
07-19-2008, 12:18 PM
Seems to me it would have been bizarre to run an entire card without a race call . I truely respect your opinion , just seems strange . :confused:

The "good ole days" at Keeneland :)

Zman179
07-19-2008, 12:30 PM
PA,

When I began this thread, it was done immediately after the 1st @ Ellis Park. I made the assumption that this would be continued for the remainder of the day. Starting the 2nd I heard the voice of Mike B. and was surprised, then p--sed at this decision by EP. Am I not entitled to my opinion here? And are others not allowed to agree/disagree with same? The subsequent posts have nothing to do with Lukes memory only the decision by EP.

If you want to go by past performances, Ross Morton, the only announcer that Finger Lakes had in its 46 year existence, died a couple of months before the start of the 2008 meet. What did FL do? They ran the 1st race in silence and dedicated the winners circle in his honor. No complaints there.

The "good ole days" at Keeneland :)

But Keeneland did indeed have a track announcer back in the old days; Mike Battaglia called the races for the simulcast presentation. What Keeneland did not have was a PA system.

Valuist
07-19-2008, 02:00 PM
I think most tracks wouldn't even had one silent race (non) call. So by Ellis doing it for a race, they opened themselves up for (unfair, IMO) criticism. They still are a business, and the customers deserve to have a race caller. Keeneland was way off base when they had no announcer. They finally realized the error of their ways about 10 years ago.

I think the early favorite to get the CD job would be Dooley although AP is such an extended meet, he may not want to leave. As for Ellis, Galassi filled in a couple years ago for Luke for 3-4 days.

PaceAdvantage
07-19-2008, 09:51 PM
I think most tracks wouldn't even had one silent race (non) call.I disagree with you there.

PaceAdvantage
07-19-2008, 09:53 PM
Am I not entitled to my opinion here? And are others not allowed to agree/disagree with same? The subsequent posts have nothing to do with Lukes memory only the decision by EP.To answer your questions, yes and yes.

Am I not allowed to offer my opinion and a make a request as well? That is all I did.

lamboguy
07-20-2008, 12:03 AM
give ron geary some credit, luke krydposh was a legend, alot of people in racing are heartbroken now that he is no longer here. this was a guy that knew the customers at the racetracks that he worked at. he didn't wear a suit and jacket, and came down to the bar had a few drinks and was very friendly with everyone.

if ron geary decided not to have a race caller for the whole day in respect to this legend, i would have been for it.

every life is precious, and has meaning to family's and friends. its just not that easy to burry the guy and forget about him. luke will live in hearts for ever.