PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Drop in 17 Years

skate
07-15-2008, 03:07 PM
OIL

hold off on the fill up, babe.

cmoore
07-15-2008, 04:00 PM
Those kind of headlines are such BS...The only reason its the biggest drop is because oil is $140+. But the media acts like oil is plunging.

skate
07-15-2008, 04:55 PM
Oh, ok, and here i was thinking that maybe since UncleGeorge comes accross with his strong comment about pushing congress to follow his path to New Drills, Like Today, the same day of the drop in price, that this would ring Balls/Bells.

Of coarsey, ifin our Democratic congress does not follow with the Executive play , then i believe oil will continue to rise.

And hey, we could then blame George for the increase, how's that?:D

cause we'd all be happy, me with the truth, while others eat the bullcrap.:jump:

ddog
07-15-2008, 05:07 PM
try bernake and you will be getting a little warm.

pricless stuff again.

I fear the "ringing bells" you hear are not a good sign.

Up the meds again.

DJofSD
07-15-2008, 06:11 PM
For those holding DUG, it was a nice day.

BlueShoe
07-15-2008, 09:05 PM
Lets see,oil was down over 6 bucks,Bush and Benanke both gave nice little speechs,but the Dow closed below 11000.Are we getting a little message here?Perhaps the Indymac crisis is just another falling domino and more woe is to come?

DJofSD
07-15-2008, 09:56 PM
Perhaps the Indymac crisis is just another falling domino and more woe is to come?

If you believe it, it will come.

Tom
07-15-2008, 10:39 PM
Yesterday, gas was $4.24 when I went to work.
I filled up at 4:00 for #3.98 a gallon.
I had to suck lemons to get that s*** eating grin off my face!:lol:

Valuist
07-16-2008, 12:37 AM
For those holding DUG, it was a nice day.

I noticed that. But I don't trust the DUG. I'm not ready to call the top in oil. I still think we won't get an appreciable drop until election time.

ddog
07-16-2008, 01:31 AM
this guy was on Rose last night.

http://www.rmi.org/

interesting guy and work they are doing.

why o why can't we get a guy like this to be the energy czar.

what a mess we have allowed ourselves to become over the last 30 years.
talk about fiddling while Rome burns.
shame on us.

We still have a chance to do something good for us, I hope in the next 5-10 years we take it.

DJofSD
07-16-2008, 01:45 AM
I noticed that. But I don't trust the DUG. I'm not ready to call the top in oil. I still think we won't get an appreciable drop until election time.

I'm betting there will be another pull back on oil before Friday.

acorn54
07-16-2008, 05:44 AM

shame on us.

We still have a chance to do something good for us, I hope in the next 5-10 years we take it.

i saw amory lorins on charlie rose also. one of his main points was developing a car with high gas mileage to curb the need for imported oil. if you think about it we already have cars that are pretty efficient with gas but the public in general wants to ride in large gas guzzeling vehicles, so that's that.

KMS
07-16-2008, 06:40 AM

shame on us.

Did you see the two guests in the segment before that? Pretty grim assessment of the economic situation, and especially of this country's leadership, or lack thereof over the past several years. When I say that, I'm being completely nonpartisan, as there's plenty of blame to go around on both sides of the aisle, and not to forget the grifters and racketeers inhabiting the corner offices along Wall Street.

I'm starting to hear the D word thrown around, and not just by people with a poltical axe to grind. Is it 1929 all over again? Most likely not, but that scenario isn't out of the realm of possibility either, particularly with the clowns running the show in Washington. That includes Bush-Cheney and their ilk, along with Reid, Pelosi and the other rabble on Capitol Hill. We have no statesmen, nor even anyone who's particularly competent. This country is in for a rough time.

Valuist
07-16-2008, 08:01 AM
I'm betting there will be another pull back on oil before Friday.

We could get another one today. For a quick trade, you're probably right.

skate
07-16-2008, 10:45 AM
Oh oh OOOOOOOOOOOOooHHHHHHHHHHHhh!

Now there is a good one, let's make a car that runs 150 MPG.

My my my , what a life saver...or is it Chicklit?:eek:

skate
07-16-2008, 10:50 AM
Ahhh, down again, $5.00.

Pulling troops from Iraq and oil price drop. makes it appear as if UncleGeorge doesn't want any more oil.

I think he's siblinging with the Greenies. :eek:

Tom
07-16-2008, 12:41 PM
Interesting that Bush said the word "drill" and the price dropped.

DJofSD
07-16-2008, 01:07 PM
Interesting that Bush said the word "drill" and the price dropped.

Well, at least when Bush says drill we know he's referring to oil. If it was Bill Clinton, we'd need some clarification.

skate
07-16-2008, 02:01 PM
that was yesterday.

But a good one anyhow.

acorn54
07-16-2008, 02:14 PM
Did you see the two guests in the segment before that? Pretty grim assessment of the economic situation, and especially of this country's leadership, or lack thereof over the past several years. When I say that, I'm being completely nonpartisan, as there's plenty of blame to go around on both sides of the aisle, and not to forget the grifters and racketeers inhabiting the corner offices along Wall Street.

I'm starting to hear the D word thrown around, and not just by people with a poltical axe to grind. Is it 1929 all over again? Most likely not, but that scenario isn't out of the realm of possibility either, particularly with the clowns running the show in Washington. That includes Bush-Cheney and their ilk, along with Reid, Pelosi and the other rabble on Capitol Hill. We have no statesmen, nor even anyone who's particularly competent. This country is in for a rough time.

i just saw the charlie rose replay wednesday afternoon with the two economists talking about the economy. apparantly the financial mechanisms in place are too complicated for anyone to understand the ramifications.
also mr. sloan one of the economists said that the government always has the power to print up more money to bail out institutions which has me thinking maybe savings in u.s. dollars is not a good idea.
it seems the u.s. dollar is a very poor choice to store wealth in as it seems it has not much of a future.

BlueShoe
07-16-2008, 07:45 PM
So the Dow was up sharply today and oil was down again.Does that mean that everything is fine and we have reached the bottom?Not in my opinion.Remain firmly in the bear camp.On an earlier thread predicted some months ago that the Dow could go under 10000.Still think so.Of course,if I am wrong,then will have missed the turnaround and will get back in after the rally has started.That is problem when you are sitting on a pile of cash and trying to time the market;knowing when to get back in.

acorn54
07-16-2008, 07:51 PM
So the Dow was up sharply today and oil was down again.Does that mean that everything is fine and we have reached the bottom?Not in my opinion.Remain firmly in the bear camp.On an earlier thread predicted some months ago that the Dow could go under 10000.Still think so.Of course,if I am wrong,then will have missed the turnaround and will get back in after the rally has started.That is problem when you are sitting on a pile of cash and trying to time the market;knowing when to get back in.

i watched a youtube video interview with warren buffet and one of the things he mentioned as to his investment philosophy is that he thinks in terms of long term horizons. he said he thinks "will i be able to hold this stock for 10 years of so"
he said most of the time the stock market acts irrationally.

RaceBookJoe
07-16-2008, 08:40 PM
i watched a youtube video interview with warren buffet and one of the things he mentioned as to his investment philosophy is that he thinks in terms of long term horizons. he said he thinks "will i be able to hold this stock for 10 years of so"
he said most of the time the stock market acts irrationally.

WB definately knows his stuff but for the average person, long-term investing can be just as dangerous as trading. For buy and hold to be effective...the "market" or your stocks have to be where you want/need them when you decide it is time to sell. If you are getting ready to retire and all of your holdings are at the bottom you are in a tough situation. Remember that in 1965 the Dow was at 874, December of 1981 it was at 875. Thats a long wait for a 1 point gain....ouch. rbj

ddog
07-16-2008, 08:51 PM
Wb will do terrible just like anyone else if the current trends run out for another 3-6 years.

With this boom bust boom bust you can end up with a 1-2% gain per year for a long time , if lucky.

I would never be a "buy and holder" of equities the way this country is being ran.

in and out if you can.

ddog
07-16-2008, 08:55 PM
i just saw the charlie rose replay wednesday afternoon with the two economists talking about the economy. apparantly the financial mechanisms in place are too complicated for anyone to understand the ramifications.
also mr. sloan one of the economists said that the government always has the power to print up more money to bail out institutions which has me thinking maybe savings in u.s. dollars is not a good idea.
it seems the u.s. dollar is a very poor choice to store wealth in as it seems it has not much of a future.

I thought the economist portion was kind of a dud.
the lady( i din't catch her name) was even for me too pessimistic and just rehashed all the same talking points.

The only part that was interesting was the energy guy and his site and the projects they have already put on the market and the fact(I didn't realize) of the proportion of energy generated in the last few years by the various types of supply and his discussion of the pipeline and nukes.

I am a big backer of nukes, if we ever build one, but he made me rethink that position.

RaceBookJoe
07-16-2008, 09:03 PM
Wb will do terrible just like anyone else if the current trends run out for another 3-6 years.

With this boom bust boom bust you can end up with a 1-2% gain per year for a long time , if lucky.

I would never be a "buy and holder" of equities the way this country is being ran.

in and out if you can.

I tend to agree with you, i wouldnt be a holder here. There is a lot of money to be made by the " in and outers" rbj

chickenhead
07-16-2008, 09:17 PM
Remember that in 1965 the Dow was at 874, December of 1981 it was at 875. Thats a long wait for a 1 point gain....ouch. rbj

I think Buffet averaged over 20 some odd percent over the same period as a buy and holder.

What that example really says if you invest 100% of your money at the absolute worst time you can find, you're gonna get low returns. Thats true no matter the time horizon.

RaceBookJoe
07-16-2008, 09:55 PM
I think Buffet averaged over 20 some odd percent over the same period as a buy and holder.

What that example really says if you invest 100% of your money at the absolute worst time you can find, you're gonna get low returns. Thats true no matter the time horizon.

First, Buffett is not your average investor. If everyone bought and held correctly there would be a lot more Buffetts around. Look at a chart from that time period and you will see the market swing up and down...like it always does. Unfortunately, Joe Average buys the top and sells at the bottom...because they dont have it in them to handle the ups and downs. Smart investors invest on the downside also for usually much quicker gains. You only get low returns if you invest in the wrong place. The "smart money" is and has been licking their chops, making money on the way down and having money ready to buy near the bottom.....from the scared money selling at the bottom. Buffett said it best..." investors are hopeful when they should be fearful and fearful when they should be hopeful" rbj

chickenhead
07-16-2008, 10:20 PM
my point is, nothing wrong with "buy and hold". If an investor is consistently wrong, short terms trades vs long terms trades make no difference. The market is littered with just as many (if not more) failed short term traders. Buy low and sell high is true, regardless.

RaceBookJoe
07-16-2008, 10:30 PM
my point is, nothing wrong with "buy and hold". If an investor is consistently wrong, short terms trades vs long terms trades make no difference. The market is littered with just as many (if not more) failed short term traders. Buy low and sell high is true, regardless.

Same with a crappy handicapper...sprint/route, favorite/longshot. If done incorrectly the results wont be good. rbj