PDA

View Full Version : win wagering...or horizontal Pick 3's or 4's???

1st time lasix
07-15-2008, 02:57 PM
With the onerous takeouts we all know it is very difficult for a handicapper to win over the long haul. The random chaos....poor trip bad beats ...and the loss of 16-25% of the para-mutual pool to the house is a high mountain to climb day-in and day-out. Even the very best among us faces the mathimatical reality. Wonder if more seasoned players have gravitated to just win betting ....and multi-race exotics? No question my approach has changed in the past five or six years.

Sinner369
07-15-2008, 03:29 PM
To win (for myself) I have to hit a big score every 2 or 3 days..................
........so I just concentrate on the Pick 3 and Pick 4!

I find that playing just win only requires playing everyday and 4 or 5 races every day! So your win hit rates have to be higher!

Just my opinion..........

sinner

KMS
07-15-2008, 03:46 PM
Win bets only.

cj's dad
07-15-2008, 05:07 PM
Pick 3's - tri's - and daily doubles--- Mainly pick 3's

JustRalph
07-15-2008, 05:10 PM
pick 3's here.......and daily doubles with price horses.

I never played them until this year............and it has paid very well so far.

KMS
07-15-2008, 06:08 PM
I don't know if it's even feasible, but it would be great if they had "make your own" pick 3's...take three races on a card, or even from different tracks. Heck, for all I know there's a track that offers this, and I just haven't heard of it.

I know you can approximate this with a round robin type bet, but it doesn't offer the big payoff you can bet with a real pick 3.. My problem with pick 3's as they now exist is that I rarely find three, or even two, races in a row with just one or two standout contenders, and I'm not a fan of betting a bunch of horses in a race just to cover all the bases. I know a lot of people have success with that strategy, but I'm not temperamentally suited to it.

point given
07-15-2008, 06:47 PM
I don't know if it's even feasible, but it would be great if they had "make your own" pick 3's...take three races on a card, or even from different tracks. Heck, for all I know there's a track that offers this, and I just haven't heard of it.

I know you can approximate this with a round robin type bet, but it doesn't offer the big payoff you can bet with a real pick 3.. My problem with pick 3's as they now exist is that I rarely find three, or even two, races in a row with just one or two standout contenders, and I'm not a fan of betting a bunch of horses in a race just to cover all the bases. I know a lot of people have success with that strategy, but I'm not temperamentally suited to it.

They had a bet a few years ago at Delaware and Monmouth called the choose 6. Basically you picked which races to include in your p6, instead of say the race 4-9 in order. It didnot takeoff with most bettors at these smaller tracks not into the p6.

During the summer there are a coup;e P4 bets on stakes races from Arlington and Saratoga combined which are fun. check the DRF online to see when one of these is going to go, they usually have all the pps in the print DRF for that day.