PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Form

shoelessjoe
07-14-2008, 05:29 PM
The Gasman tells all.

cloud9
07-14-2008, 06:02 PM
I got the brochure also . Is the Gasman a real person ?

xtb
07-14-2008, 06:13 PM
Ask my wife.

JustRalph
07-14-2008, 06:45 PM
My wife calls me Gasman sometimes too............

shoelessjoe
07-14-2008, 07:38 PM
Cloud 9,Yes he was. Gasper Moschera was one of the top trainers in New York from the early 80's to late 90's,he was great with claiming horses.

goforgin
07-20-2008, 09:12 AM
I placed an order for the book. Will provide an update within the next 3-5 days once received and have had time to review.

jjflan
07-21-2008, 12:52 PM
GOFORGIN: I, for one, will be eagerly awaiting your analysis of the Gasman's book. Thanks for being first into the breach. This is the first time, to my knowledge, that an extremely successful trainer shares his ideas for spotting improving horses -- I hope that the "Ghost Form" feature is for real and that he hasn't just sold his name to a "ghost writer".

Donnie
07-21-2008, 01:29 PM
Goforgin-
where did you order it from. I am in Las Vegas right now and thought maybe I could pick it up at the Gambler's Bookstore. But would like a backup if not available there!
Thanks!

goforgin
07-21-2008, 07:28 PM
Here's the link to the web site. I just received copy today. Will look it over and provide a review within the next day or so. Also, they provide a phone service and called to inquire interest (I did not take them up on the phone service).

http://www.kingofthedarkhorses.com/

Donnie
07-21-2008, 09:33 PM
Thanks!

goforgin
07-22-2008, 09:19 PM
I completed my first review of the book. I thought it was very good, very informative. 8.5 x 11 soft cover. It's not a pencil and paper method, or a point type system. It's a good objective view of horse racing and horses, with full race PP's from DRF and BRIS. A less wordy Picking Winners, Beyer on Speed or Commonsense Handicapping. You don't have to be a rocket scientist. The focus is on claiming races since that's where Moschera excelled. How to spot fit and ready horses with hidden form or angles such as speed stretching out (i.e. one of the Ghost Forms). While he does review some of his old claimers from the 90's, the book is packed with many, many examples from as recent as April and May of this year "2008". Race analysis with comments on each horse. Several of the races I recalled wagering on back in April and May. I collect many handicapping books, paper and pencil systems and software. I found the "Gasman" an entertaining read and a good addition to my library.

Donnie
07-22-2008, 10:10 PM
Thanks again Goforgin! Appreciate the review!

Doug3312
07-25-2008, 06:53 PM
In his promo he claims that there are only 10 key points to remember and that anyone can win on any track. Has anyone tried his system yet? Please let us know.

saevena
07-26-2008, 10:00 AM
I read the book. It's not a system, even though it's advertised as one, and some of the examples don't fit the rules. Caveat emptor.

goforgin
07-26-2008, 10:14 AM
No, I haven't had a chance to apply some of the concepts. Hopefully later this weekend. Will keep you posted.

jjflan
07-26-2008, 01:02 PM
I've ordered Moshcera's book as well. Over the years I've concentrated for the most part on trying to sniff out longshot winners in claiming races. In order to do this you need to be able to uncover horses which are in better form than their running lines would indicate so this book is of particular interest to me. I'll be adding my two cents after I've read it...

Doug3312
07-26-2008, 05:22 PM
Saevena, I bought the OMH and it was the same thing with the examples. In order to make them fit the rules, you had to have a vivid imaginaion.

jjflan
07-26-2008, 05:45 PM
DOUG: What is OMH?

Overlay
07-26-2008, 06:16 PM
OMH = One Minute Handicapper

jjflan
07-30-2008, 09:05 PM
Moshera book a fascinating read but it's all over the place...
Mark "Kinky Handicapping" Cramer will love it!

Some of what is included...

* Spotting improving "feel good" horses -- running closer to pace
* Says he makes his money with short field claiming routes
* A lot of his handicapping is based on knowing all the trainers
and their habits.
* "Society" barns dropping failed stakes horses
way down to get rid of them...the smart trainer
claims and steps them up and wins
* Sartin "Your Own Stable" concept following specific horses..use internet service to notify you when your horse is entered.
* 3 yo's in late summer and fall
* Know when horses are getting re-shoed (Yeah, right.)
* Stakes horses "cross entered" in two different tracks
* Horses shipping from south to north
* Horses that run well when it's cold
* Key races (you need to know what happened to horses coming out
of race which is in more expensive PPs than I use.)
* He picks "stand outs" from PPs that don't stand out to a dummy like me
* Betting early speed dirt horses when race taken off turf (turf horses like to get it in gear late)
* He's a huge $$$ win bettor so spends a lot of
pages on chalk "sure things".
* His training methods were very interesting .. for example, unlike other barns who kept feed bags up high for easy filling, Moschera would put the feed on the floor which is natural for the horse and easier on neck and back. He didn't use workouts much but let the horse rest until he showed signs of wanting to get back into action.
* Book is more for someone who spends every waking
moment looking for information on trainers, etc. In other
words a lot more time than I'm willing to spend.

May have some value, requires more study which
is tough because it's such a mixed bag. I have
to see if I can incorporate some elements into
my personal handicapping style. Using the word
"system" for Moschera's book is nonsense. If
he had spent the entire book studying the
claiming routes he bets it would would make
much more sense.

Doug3312
07-31-2008, 04:05 PM
jjflan,

Thanks for the report, you just saved me the time and money I would have spent. I guess after all this time I would stop thinking that all the hype these guys put out is true, but I still keep hoping.