PDA

View Full Version : Here's why the Paulick Report is the best thing going

andicap
07-14-2008, 09:17 AM
Former Blood-horse editor Ray Paulick has begun his own daily newsletter. It's free (he asks for donations) and its blunt. Few know where the industry's bodies are buried and skeletons hidden better than Ray, who is among the most well-sourced racing journalists of the era.

PA, I would suggest you approach him about some kind of partnership that could be a win-win for both of you. He was a regular on Prodigy in the early days so he knows the power of fan-powered forums.

Unlike other so-called "journalists," who do little legwork and know even less about how the racing industry really works, Paulick is a tireless digger who is on the fan's side.

Please visit his site and support his newsletter with whatever you can afford.

I am in no way affiliated with Ray although I do know him as the guy who hired me to write free-lance for The Blood-Horse throughout the 90s where i covered television and technology issues.

http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/rebuffed-by-cup/

(As an aside, it's funny how I got hooked up with Ray. I went to a Mitchell seminar in Los Angeles in about 1990-- I had been in the area covering a trade show anyway -- and met a guy named Paul Westerline. He told me about the Prodigy board and that is where i connected witih Paulick and enjoyed a nice NYRA press pass for several years. You just never know)

Tom
07-14-2008, 10:06 AM
Good link, Andy...thanks.

Cangamble
07-14-2008, 10:55 AM
The Paulick Report is excellent. I find the news stories to be catching up to be on par with Equidaily as well.
Also, I like the fact that he links my blog. I think my cynicism is appealing to him.

alhattab
07-14-2008, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the link. Since you know him, maybe you can help me understand a point of view he takes.

I took a breeze through and looked under that "negotiations" link on the left. In there he discusses owners putting $2 billion into the game that has $1 billion in purses as not being a sound business model.

I don't get it. For many of those putting a large chunk of $2 billion into the game, purses serve as only a small chunk of the potential net revenues. Breeding rights serve the rest. So his premise to me is completely off-base unless I'm missing something. Perhaps he adjusted the $2 billion to reflect only the "purse" aspect of the cost of horseflesh at auction or via stallion fees, or maybe the $1 billion includes the entire economic benefit of the industry including the present value of breeding rights transacted each year plus purses.

rrbauer
07-14-2008, 12:39 PM
I took a breeze through and looked under that "negotiations" link on the left. In there he discusses owners putting $2 billion into the game that has $1 billion in purses as not being a sound business model.

Of course it's not. Some 80% of the horse owners in racing lose money. They know going in they're probably going to lose. For many of them their motivation is not "sound business". Yet they form a group, THG (with two employees), to play hardball in contract negotiations for the level of fees they will receive from horseplayers' bets; and, in some of those cases they cost themselves more losses while annoying the people whose money they're fighting over.

Horseplayers continue to bet and support them anyway. It escapes logic.

PaceAdvantage
07-15-2008, 01:41 AM
PA, I would suggest you approach him about some kind of partnership that could be a win-win for both of you. He was a regular on Prodigy in the early days so he knows the power of fan-powered forums.I don't know about a partnership, but I will certainly put a link to his site on the home page, as he has graciously linked to PaceAdvantage.com on his site....

andicap
07-15-2008, 07:15 AM
PA,
when did that link go up on his site?

OTM Al
07-15-2008, 09:22 AM
It is a pretty good site. Have bookmarked it. Can't get over how much it looks like the Drudge Report, but then that probably was a fairly standard setup several years ago for a web site

PaceAdvantage
07-15-2008, 10:23 AM
PA,
when did that link go up on his site?I'm not sure, as I only looked for it yesterday....

trying2win
07-15-2008, 12:05 PM
I found the Paulick Report column on 'Account Wagering' to be interesting, especially the parts about who is the most organized to the least organized.

I came away with the impression that Ray Paulick sides with the horsemen on the ADW revenue split issue. Plus, I had a cynical laugh about the statement from Bob Reeves, the president of THG..."I am delighted with the resolve the different horsemen's groups have shown. We are trying to save racing."

T2W

cj
07-15-2008, 12:16 PM
Of course it's not. Some 80% of the horse owners in racing lose money. They know going in they're probably going to lose. For many of them their motivation is not "sound business". Yet they form a group, THG (with two employees), to play hardball in contract negotiations for the level of fees they will receive from horseplayers' bets; and, in some of those cases they cost themselves more losses while annoying the people whose money they're fighting over.

Horseplayers continue to bet and support them anyway. It escapes logic.

It should also be mentioned that they are spending way too much money buying unraced horses. The market is insane because of the Dubai people who don't care if they make money or not.

Bruddah
07-15-2008, 01:47 PM
It should also be mentioned that they are spending way too much money buying unraced horses. The market is insane because of the Dubai people who don't care if they make money or not.

I have to meet your dad one day. Any old Hoss that could sire a smart young stud, such as yourself, has to be on my meet and greet list. :ThmbUp:

Doc
07-18-2008, 08:10 AM
andicap, if Ray was such a great journalist and a tireless digger, why did the Blood-Horse fire him? I have been reading his new web site and it seems to me he has an axe to grind with the industry publications ... a lot of sour grapes on his part.

Grits
07-18-2008, 10:50 AM
I have read the Paulick Report from the day it was launched, when prior to this new venture, he was doing pieces for ESPN, which I would add, were excellent.

I was glad to see him writing again.

With his new report I felt he really had--great opportunity. I felt he would be a good voice for the sport. Trends and decisions, right or wrong. A voice from someone who has worked the beat.

At this point, his reporting style is beginning to read like a rag paper one would find at the grocery check out. Case in point being Tuesday, July 8ths entry--a study in angst. A lengthy diatribe taking down everyone from fellow journalists to Claiborne Farm to Phipps to the Jockey Club.

Ripping into every facet of this game in an attempt to "expose," is not a working solution for success. One for bloggers, maybe; but not former magazine EDITORS with Paulick's knowledge and years of experience.

I've always found Entertainment Tonight and Inside Edition boring and useless. I don't care to be fed a good deal of the same (Inside) horseracing.

rrbauer
07-18-2008, 10:59 AM
I have read the Paulick Report from the day it was launched, when prior to this new venture, he was doing pieces for ESPN, which I would add, were excellent.

I was glad to see him writing again.

With his new report I felt he really had--great opportunity. I felt he would be a good voice for the sport. Trends and decisions, right or wrong. A voice from someone who has worked the beat.

At this point, his reporting style is beginning to read like a rag paper one would find at the grocery check out. Case in point being Tuesday, July 8ths entry--a study in angst. A lengthy diatribe taking down everyone from fellow journalists to Claiborne Farm to Phipps to the Jockey Club.

Ripping into every facet of this game in an attempt to "expose," is not a working solution for success. One for bloggers, maybe; but not former magazine EDITORS with Paulick's knowledge and years of experience.

I've always found Entertainment Tonight and Inside Edition boring and useless. I don't care to be fed a good deal of the same (Inside) horseracing.

I don't know why this fellow left BH and it's clear that he knows plenty about some of the inner workings of the biz. But, to paraphrase Grits, both name-dropping and turd-dropping seem to end you up at the same place!

andicap
07-18-2008, 11:23 AM
andicap, if Ray was such a great journalist and a tireless digger, why did the Blood-Horse fire him? I have been reading his new web site and it seems to me he has an axe to grind with the industry publications ... a lot of sour grapes on his part.

I've known Ray for about 16 years and always found him to be incredibly informed on what was going on in the industry and on the side of the fan.
I think he's relieved now that he doesn't have to bite his tongue the way he did when he was running BH.

I have no idea why he left -- maybe he had a disagreement with management? Maybe he was bored about being editor for so long. Maybe they wanted new blood in there. Who knows.

But I know Ray Paulick is a Class Act and would not use his forum to settle grievances. You may disagree with his sentiments of course, but that's the nature of the beast. I'm not saying I agree with all of his columns/opinions, I'm just saying I'm glad there's an independent voice out there on the side of the fan who has credibility in the industry and great sources.

Unlike say Paul Moran, who as TLG pointed out, rarely left the press box.

Look, trade publications by their nature are compromised. Blood-Horse is owned by the industry. Owners, breeders are on its board of directors so of course they can't write what's REALLY going on. Thoroughbred Times is compromised as well.
Both pubs rely on industry groups for advertising so of course they have to watch what they write.

I wrote for and edited trade publications for almost 20 years (TV industry mostly) and while my magazines managed to be more independent than most we always had that dagger at our heads when editing stories. If you were writing something negative about a) advertisers b) your readers
you had better be damn sure you had it nailed down 12 ways to Tuesday or your can was grass if you know what I mean.

If you don't like what Ray has to say, write a Comment on his blog.

cj
07-18-2008, 01:11 PM
Very nice post Andy. And the sad thing is, outside of trade publications, nobody else bothers to cover this particular trade.

Indulto
07-18-2008, 02:38 PM
I've known Ray for about 16 years and always found him to be incredibly informed on what was going on in the industry and on the side of the fan.
I think he's relieved now that he doesn't have to bite his tongue the way he did when he was running BH.

I have no idea why he left -- maybe he had a disagreement with management? Maybe he was bored about being editor for so long. Maybe they wanted new blood in there. Who knows.

But I know Ray Paulick is a Class Act and would not use his forum to settle grievances. You may disagree with his sentiments of course, but that's the nature of the beast. I'm not saying I agree with all of his columns/opinions, I'm just saying I'm glad there's an independent voice out there on the side of the fan who has credibility in the industry and great sources.

Unlike say Paul Moran, who as TLG pointed out, rarely left the press box.

Look, trade publications by their nature are compromised. Blood-Horse is owned by the industry. Owners, breeders are on its board of directors so of course they can't write what's REALLY going on. Thoroughbred Times is compromised as well.
Both pubs rely on industry groups for advertising so of course they have to watch what they write.

I wrote for and edited trade publications for almost 20 years (TV industry mostly) and while my magazines managed to be more independent than most we always had that dagger at our heads when editing stories. If you were writing something negative about a) advertisers b) your readers
you had better be damn sure you had it nailed down 12 ways to Tuesday or your can was grass if you know what I mean.

If you don't like what Ray has to say, write a Comment on his blog.I like what Paulick has to say and, apparently, so does Rep. Whitfield whose guest editorial offers a chance for some direct feedack if anyone else is interested.

I don't like what you have to say, though, when you try to elevate Paulick at Moran's expense. Are you offering confirmation of tlg's charge that Moran never left the pressbox (whatever that implies) or are you merely parroting it?

Why aren't you more incensed at the NYRA exec than at Moran? I haven't seen anything from you that indicates you doubt the latter's veracity.

john del riccio
07-18-2008, 02:43 PM

Buying unraced horses can sometimes be like getting into an pre-arranged marriage....and it doesn't matter whether you get to see them first either !

John

OTM Al
08-21-2008, 09:52 AM
I'm beginning to wonder a little about this guy. His news is first rate and his editorials aren't bad, though I've seen a few cases when a little fact checking might have been in order. However, what I've started to notice is the cheap shots he seems to take at his competition. He even wrote to a blogger agreeing with the guy's petty arguements and how his page was so much better than Equidaily (I disagree). Egotism too often gets in the way of greatness

Fingal
08-21-2008, 11:37 AM
I signed up to get his Email updates from the beginning, & I get at least 1 if not 2 a day.

A man with a keyboard that isn't restricted by higher ups as to what he can & can't write about= Dangerous to those who once tried to restrict him.:ThmbUp:

JustRalph
08-21-2008, 04:32 PM
Ray, if you are reading this thread............. change the refresh rate on the page!!! 60 seconds is too short. When I am browsing.........and the damn thing refreshes and I have to find my place again...........it drives me nuts!!

foregoforever
08-21-2008, 05:07 PM
Ray, if you are reading this thread............. change the refresh rate on the page!!! 60 seconds is too short. When I am browsing.........and the damn thing refreshes and I have to find my place again...........it drives me nuts!!

Amen to that. Better yet, eliminate the auto refresh altogether. The page only gets updated a few times a day, so there's hardly a need.

It is a great read. His rip on the Hall of Fame last week was terrific and much deserved.

sandpit
08-21-2008, 09:06 PM
I always liked Ray's insights while he worked at the BH. I agree, he was probably restricted by the whims of TOBA and the magazine's advertisers, but I thought he was still fairly cutting edge in his weekly editorial column. His love for the way the Japanese ran their racing industry was always evident.
Side note: His wife worked at the Breeders' Cup for a while, but she also was let go, and within a year of the same happening to Ray. Almost certainly unrelated occurrences, but still curious.