PDA

View Full Version : TVG

Tom
03-03-2003, 06:28 PM
I solved my YouBet problems today - they are hooking up the Dish Network Wednasday morning. I have read a lot of bad things about TVG, but I figure 3-4 races an hour is better than nothing. Looks like I have to pick some new tracks to bet since a bunch of my old stand by's are not shown, but that's life.
By Wednesday night I 'll be sitting in gravy.
:p

Kappa
03-03-2003, 06:50 PM
Does the weather, rain or snow, effect the reception on the satellite dishes?? My local cable company seems to think so, at least that's what they say in their commercials.

blind squirrel
03-03-2003, 06:54 PM
i know everyone loves to rip TVG.I'had it from day one{ky}.
remember,if you don't want to listen to the "talking heads'
hit the "mute button".they just added hawthorne.......keeneland
only a month away!

cj
03-03-2003, 06:55 PM
I've been with DishNetwork (for TVG, of course) for about 4 months now, and haven't had a single problem or outtage. I live in OKC, so the weather hasn't been as bad as the east coast, but bad enough.

CJ

JustRalph
03-03-2003, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Kappa
Does the weather, rain or snow, effect the reception on the satellite dishes?? My local cable company seems to think so, at least that's what they say in their commercials.

really hard rain can cause "rain fade" happens only in really hard rain and depending on what direction your weather comes in. In other words....it's not worth worrying about. Snow is almost a non factor. I did have to wipe 2 inches of wet snow off my dish once (once in about 5 years) but it's no reason to not get the dish.

:cool:

BillW
03-03-2003, 07:28 PM
The cable companies rip dish performance in storms like Gates rips the security and stability of competing OS's.

I loose signal about 5 or 6 times a year in the heaviest of storms and only for (at most) 5 to 10 minutes at a time. The down time on cable was at least as bad the last time I had it. I wouldn't recommend a satellite for monitoring heavy local storm activity, but it is fine for horse racing.

Tom, also get the Fox sports package ($4.99/Mo. I think) That way you can get 6 to 9 hours a week of HRTV on Fox Sports Pittsburgh.

Have fun,

Bill

rrbauer
03-03-2003, 08:13 PM
Kappa wrote:
Does the weather, rain or snow, effect the reception on the satellite dishes?? My local cable company seems to think so, at least that's what they say in their commercials

Comment:
I've had a Dish dish for almost 4 years. One outage....a crow was perched on top of the LNB array and I guess his tail feathers were dropping down and screwing up the reception. Once I got rid of his tail feathers the problem went away :) ....and, I'd much rather deal with a crow than the "customer service" morons who staff the phones at the local cable company!

GR1@HTR
03-03-2003, 08:19 PM
I love TVG. It beats the alternative...The black guy is really funny and Shrup is just a shrup.

cj
03-03-2003, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by GR1
I love TVG. It beats the alternative...The black guy is really funny and Shrup is just a shrup.

Did you hear Ken Rudolph dogging me out yesterday for messing up their trivia contest? All in good fun, he is funny most times!

CJ

GR1@HTR
03-03-2003, 08:28 PM
No missed it CJ. Speak, what happend?

cj
03-03-2003, 08:35 PM
The trivia question was:

What jockey was on the most losing Derby favorites in the last 10 years?

Choices:

Gary Stevens, Chris McCarron, Kent Desermeaux, and Mike Smith.

I wrote in that there were 2 correct answers, Smith and Stevens. They had overlooked that Stevens rode either General Challenge or Excellent Meeting (favored entry) the year Charasmatic won. I called them on it. They gave me the prize, Los Al sweatshirt and hat or something like that, but he was getting on me for calling it a bad question when I won. Of course, I didn't know I won when I said it was a bad question. I forget exactly what he said, but it was pretty funny, something about a free lunch.

Later, all kind of people were writing in griping and asking for free stuff, he just said it was a trick question, then ripped all the people getting peeved over a lousy sweatshirt and hat.

CJ

JustRalph
03-03-2003, 09:02 PM
Cj

I saw that.....that was very cool that you caught them ..... I should have known it was somebody from this board that burned them on that. Rudolph was pissed at somebody.....

Kentucky Bred
03-03-2003, 10:14 PM
Two weeks ago, I severed my 9 year relationship with Direct TV. It was simply over the fact that they refused to get TVG. I spoke to and wrote to many people there. I went to the TVG desk at the Kentucky Derby and they said they had been trying to get on Direct TV forever but that they were offering TVG almost nothing for the feed.

The Dish Network has been great. And I have TVG on in my study about 75% of the time. You gotta remember that TVG is a television show. I'm suprised they show as much racing as they do. But thank God for them. If you have broadband you can get alot of races on the computer but TVG is better than that.

However, what's even better is to get the new Internet satellite dish from Direcway. I found out that both dishes are independent so you can have broadband satellite Internet capabilities with Direcway and TVG with Dish.

You see, everybody shares the money. What could be fairer than that?

Kentucky Bred

sq764
03-03-2003, 11:33 PM
I live in Delaware and as you may know, we have had a wicked winter.. I can honestly say, the satellite dish has not gone out once all Winter.

Since I have had TVG (about 2 years), the only time there is any sign of a problem is when its very windy..

On the flip side, as a harness fan, I think TVG blows in that respect.. Monday and Tuesday are great.. The rest of the week sucks for me, all t-breds..

Kappa
03-04-2003, 04:14 PM
Thanks sq764

Living in Delaware, this winter has put your dish thru it's paces. If you didn't have a problem during the President's Day weekend storm, then weather should not be a problem.

By the way, Comcast in the central Maryland area shows TVG on it's extended basic coverage. Great on days that I'm 'working' at home!!

Tom
03-05-2003, 12:35 PM
Just got hooked up and tuned in TVG for my lunch hour.
Question - don't they actually show races???
We got all the way up to o min to post at AQU then switched to the post parade at Lrl and then to the paddock at Suffolk.
Am I missing something here? I was under the impression you could actually watch a race. After signing up for a year I certainly hope I did not misunderstand everyone.

Well they just showed Lrl first ,then came back to Aqu while Suffolk is supposed to be running!
Do they always show races out of order?

BillW
03-05-2003, 01:40 PM
Tom,

They are very impatient re. horses refusing to load or other delays and will switch off to another race quickly. They do think LA has the best racing in the world and at other times exhibit favoritism that can only be explained by payola :). Other than that, they seem to be faithful to their advertised broadcast schedule. I think you follow harness .... they will fill your plate with that.

Bill

race_n_ponys
03-05-2003, 02:29 PM
yeah i agree, TVG is a great channel........and to think i use to pay 25 bucks a month for the old trn channels,i really didnt care for those commentators at all..............but it really seems as if everyone at tvg enjoys horse racing and it makes for a more entertaining sport................i mean dont get me wrong, if bettin big on a horse or two....im not looking to listen to all the hoopla and tape delayed races,but most of the time it just makes the horse racing more enjoyable,especially the interactive tv, its kinda cool listening to some of the other veiwers opinions and information. i keep one of my tvs on TVG all the time! kinda slow with the tracks they have right now,especially with all this bad weather..........also,if any of you are die-hard horse players have a old primestar dish, let me know,.....as i might be able to hook you up to hrtv/some live track feeds/greyhound racing.

andicap
03-05-2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by BillW
Tom,

They are very impatient re. horses refusing to load or other delays and will switch off to another race quickly. They do think LA has the best racing in the world and at other times exhibit favoritism that can only be explained by payola :). Other than that, they seem to be faithful to their advertised broadcast schedule. I think you follow harness .... they will fill your plate with that.

Bill

The reason they show so many California races is that most of their
revenue comes from CA bettors.

Kappa
03-05-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by andicap

The reason they show so many California races is that most of their revenue comes from CA bettors.
That sounds reasonable to me :)

race_n_ponys
03-05-2003, 06:47 PM
yeah, you cant fault them for that.......i remember when that first got approved(wagering in california) they were waiting on that........the channel has grown leaps and bounds since then.......but hey........it is pretty darn good racing,and dang if those pick 6's arent like a regular persons mega jackpot........boy...a good pick 6 on the east coast is 100,000 and a good pick six in cali. is a million.............maybee one day......i will fall into one of those

Tom
03-05-2003, 07:47 PM
They keep you hoppin, that's fer sure. Had a nice price horse at Suffolk today, but turns out I was watching Laurel! Oh well, I'll get the hang og it. This is pure heaven. Q- can NY residents open an account with TVG?
The only problem with this is that I can see myself taking long lunches and staying up too late every night. I see a tack starts at 10:30pm est tomorrow....better take Friday off <G>

BillW
03-05-2003, 08:17 PM
Tom,

Just an FYI ... HRTV will be aired on Fox Sports Pittsburgh (Ch. 428???) tomorrow at 1:00 PM.

Bill

cj
03-05-2003, 08:22 PM
BillW,

Do they post a schedule of when they will show HRTV? May have to pony up the $4.99. I'm a sports junkie anyway, gotta be worth it.

CJ

Tee
03-05-2003, 08:35 PM
They don't have the schedule for March yet!!

Here's the link

http://www.hr.tv/default.asp

BillW
03-05-2003, 08:37 PM
CJ,

I checked it by running the on screen guide ahead to tmw. It's always same time slot so fairly easy to check that way. Also the print guide (Waste of money IMHO) also lists it.

It's always in the 12:00 - 3:00 CST timeslot during the week.

One caution, Magna may just be running out a contract made by Meadows Racing with Fox. i.e. it's subject to disapper.

Bill

Just saw tee's post ... yep as soon as they get March up they do note when Fox carries them :).

race_n_ponys
03-05-2003, 08:55 PM
well....first of all.......tvg is great.....but with that said, if any of you guys(especially this time of the year,with a limited track schedule)are able to come up with an old primestar satellite dish.(and able to install and tune it in/with a compass).....let me know......and i can help get you watching 8 channels.....full time(hrtv/a couple live-track feeds, and those darn greyhound doggies).....for much,much less than the 100 bucks a month rtn is charging to veiw their 8 channels. i am new to this site, but belong to a few sites(the prescription,mr.odds.com)for over 2 years!! if you are able to get a old primestar dish,and are intrested in watching 8 channels of live racing........email me at: race_n_ponys@hotmail.com

GR1@HTR
03-06-2003, 05:48 PM
Speaking of Ken Rudolf, he just hit the P6 at OP for real...Good capping, $16K

Speed Figure
03-06-2003, 05:51 PM
On a $36 ticket that's my kind of ticket:D

race_n_ponys
03-06-2003, 06:40 PM
no doubt,.....the host hits it with a $36 ticket and the experts sitting to his left probally had hundreds invested in it and were bounced out of it on the first leg................that was cool to see him hit that,and it was nice to see he did it on his own!!

GR1@HTR
03-06-2003, 08:15 PM
Yeah, plus he's only been capping for a couple years I think. Bummer it only paid $16K

rrbauer
03-06-2003, 08:22 PM
Bill wrote:
Just an FYI ... HRTV will be aired on Fox Sports Pittsburgh (Ch. 428???) tomorrow at 1:00 PM.

I added the complete Fox Sports lineup because I had heard that some of the Magna channels were on the Fox 'burgh channel. One time is all I ever saw it and finally the women's volleyball and second-level college hoops, etc., that kept showing up in that time slot was cause to call Dish and cancel (besides I can watch the Magna simulcast feeds on my PC).

Is HRTV on consistently or just when there's no college stuff to air?

race_n_ponys
03-06-2003, 09:07 PM
hey if you can come up with a ku band satellite dish(preferrably an old primestar dish) let me know, because HRTV is on 7 days a week along with 6-7 other horse racing/grey hound channels.

Tom
03-06-2003, 10:01 PM
Anyone use both of these? Which is better?
I see TBG users can sign up for RealTime racing on FoxSports.com.
Sounds interesting, butit uses Real Player only.

BillW
03-06-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by rrbauer
Bill wrote:

I added the complete Fox Sports lineup because I had heard that some of the Magna channels were on the Fox 'burgh channel. One time is all I ever saw it and finally the women's volleyball and second-level college hoops, etc., that kept showing up in that time slot was cause to call Dish and cancel (besides I can watch the Magna simulcast feeds on my PC).

Is HRTV on consistently or just when there's no college stuff to air?

No, not a regular schedule. usually 2 or 3 days a week, on varying days. Timeslot is fixed at 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM EST.

Bill

JustRalph
03-06-2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Tom
Anyone use both of these? Which is better?
I see TBG users can sign up for RealTime racing on FoxSports.com.
Sounds interesting, butit uses Real Player only.

When there is a choice Tom, Media Player. It won't put a ton of spyware on your system. Realplayer will.

Tom
03-06-2003, 10:24 PM
Thanks, JR.

BillW
03-06-2003, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by JustRalph
When there is a choice Tom, Media Player. It won't put a ton of spyware on your system. Realplayer will.

Doesn't mediaplayer have virtual spyware in the form of a license clause requiring you to accept MS access to your machine at anytime?

JustRalph
03-07-2003, 01:38 AM
Yes.....but you can turn it off easily. The Realplayer crap hides and you have to jump thru hoops to turn it off. It even comes back and reinstalls itself surreptitiously if you go to a web site and try to use realplayer and the page calls the hidden stuff. The hidden stuff then re-installs and you have to hack the registry to get rid of it. It can be a nightmare for a novice user who is unaware. The crap runs in the background and your system just gets slower and slower. :D

MikeDee
03-07-2003, 05:31 AM
I hate the real player company and the people that design their software. They are one of the most obnoxious, irritating, and intrusive software developers on the web. I would never pay them a dime for anything because of the high handed way they attempt to take over my PC and abuse my internet connection.

Kentucky Bred
03-07-2003, 04:10 PM
It's not enough for TVG commentator Ken Rudolph to select a $32 winning ticket on the Pick 6 in yesterday's Oaklawn Park carryover pool. It was worth 16K plus all the tickets with 5 winners. They put his ticket on the screen for all to see.

UNFORTUNATELY, when Ken placed his bet, the wrong number was punched in which resulted in a loss on the Pick 6, not a win. I do not know whose fault it was--maybe someone else can chime in...but that would really hurt.

Now everyone is emailing in their worst horse betting mistake. The worst so far is a guy who was hurrying to the track to bet what he thought was a can't miss longshot. Before he could leave he was served divorce papers which took some time. He still ran to the track only to miss the race and watch his $27 dollar horse win.

This game can be very cruel sometimes.

Kentucky Bred

Kappa
03-07-2003, 04:15 PM
Kentucky Bred said

..... Before he could leave he was served divorce papers which took some time. He still ran to the track only to miss the race and watch his $27 dollar horse win.

Talk about good news/bad news :D

blind squirrel
03-07-2003, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Kentucky Bred
It's not enough for TVG commentator Ken Rudolph to select a $32 winning ticket on the Pick 6 in yesterday's Oaklawn Park carryover pool. It was worth 16K plus all the tickets with 5 winners. They put his ticket on the screen for all to see.

UNFORTUNATELY, when Ken placed his bet, the wrong number was punched in which resulted in a loss on the Pick 6, not a win. I do not know whose fault it was--maybe someone else can chime in...but that would really hurt

Kentucky Bred

KY BRED:I watched KEN win the PICK SIX yesterday.
i didn't see TVG today,you are saying he punched the wrong
number?how horrible!

JustRalph
03-07-2003, 07:52 PM
I turned on TVG today just in time to see Rudolph signing off and Schrupp talking about how he had bad luck or something?

Anybody clarify this? Did he get it? did they show the right ticket on the air?

BillW
03-07-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by JustRalph
I turned on TVG today just in time to see Rudolph signing off and Schrupp talking about how he had bad luck or something?

Anybody clarify this? Did he get it? did they show the right ticket on the air?

JR,

He played the ticket at home before going into work and miskeyed it. Didn't find out till he got back home ... real back breaker.

Tom
03-08-2003, 10:00 PM
These guys at night are hilarious! I love this TVG.
They were talking about Mnr being muddy tonight, and one says the only thing that will help this track is to let is dry out for a while. The other guy says I had to do that a couple of months ago - I feel a lot beter now.
Another race, the one guy says the 5 is a hard knocker. The other one says I love hard knockers.
Races and jokes.....where has this been all my life!
<G>

JustRalph
03-08-2003, 10:18 PM
Must be exactor man and mr. lucky........

they can be pretty bad sometime. I mean that in a dry wit kind of way.

They are the fill in crew (not on air talent, they usually work behind the scenes). They have some kind of schedule now that puts them on a couple of hours before the quarter horse racing at Los Al. you will notice you will rarely see them on camera. They don't get paid as well as "on air talent".:D