PDA

View Full Version : Harlem Rocker looks like the 3yr old of Summer

Moyers Pond
07-13-2008, 05:31 PM
Very impressive today getting back to the dirt. Probably going to the Jim Dandy and the Travers where he will meet limited competition unless Lieutenant Ron comes around or Mint Lane can go the 10f.

I wonder what happens if this horse wins the Jim Dandy and Travers and Big Brown fizzles. The Eclipse might be there for the taking.

3yr olds might not be that bad if Harlem Rocker, Mint Lane, Lieutenant Ron, DTara, and Big Brown all stay healthy. Even think Unbridled Heart might make some noise.

menifee
07-13-2008, 06:24 PM
He's a nice racehorse. Still confused why they went to Canada with him and tried him on poly. Talk about derailing the horse.

I hope he runs at Saratoga.

Even more confused about the race call in that race. "And the favorites are beaten" was an interesting line at the top of the stretch.

Moyers Pond
07-13-2008, 06:33 PM
He's a nice racehorse. Still confused why they went to Canada with him and tried him on poly. Talk about derailing the horse.

I hope he runs at Saratoga.

Even more confused about the race call in that race. "And the favorites are beaten" was an interesting line at the top of the stretch.

Owner made the decision. He is a Canadian so it sort of makes sense. Pletcher wanted to run in the Preakness. Don't think this is a 12f horse though, so the Belmont made no sense.

He is definitely going to Saratoga.

Indulto
07-13-2008, 06:53 PM
Very impressive today getting back to the dirt. Probably going to the Jim Dandy and the Travers where he will meet limited competition unless Lieutenant Ron comes around or Mint Lane can go the 10f.

I wonder what happens if this horse wins the Jim Dandy and Travers and Big Brown fizzles. The Eclipse might be there for the taking.

3yr olds might not be that bad if Harlem Rocker, Mint Lane, Lieutenant Ron, DTara, and Big Brown all stay healthy. Even think Unbridled Heart might make some noise.IMO only a 3YO that wins the Breeder's Cup Classic and at least 2 other G1s might take the divisional title away from BB. The KY Derby is the premier race in NA. It is the only race where a full field featuring the best its divisionn can muster competes, and the winner becomes the only triple crown candidate. Even if D'Tara wins the Travers, it would not be enough. Travers and JCGC? Hmmmm.

Moyers Pond
07-13-2008, 07:06 PM
IMO only a 3YO that wins the Breeder's Cup Classic and at least 2 other G1s might take the divisional title away from BB. The KY Derby is the premier race in NA. It is the only race where a full field featuring the best its divisionn can muster competes, and the winner becomes the only triple crown candidate. Even if D'Tara wins the Travers, it would not be enough. Travers and JCGC? Hmmmm.

Harlem Rocker wouldn't need to win the BCC, but he would have to win the Jim Dandy, Travers, and the JCGC.

Big Brown needs another win somewhere to lock things up. Another disappointing effort and he will really lose some of his reputation.

The plan they have for Big Brown of Haskell and just BCC is leaving him very little room for error. The Goodwood really seems like a good spot for him to prep for the BCC and I would be shocked if they stuck to their 2 race plan and skipped the Goodwood.

Indulto
07-13-2008, 07:57 PM
Harlem Rocker wouldn't need to win the BCC, but he would have to win the Jim Dandy, Travers, and the JCGC.

Big Brown needs another win somewhere to lock things up. Another disappointing effort and he will really lose some of his reputation.

The plan they have for Big Brown of Haskell and just BCC is leaving him very little room for error. The Goodwood really seems like a good spot for him to prep for the BCC and I would be shocked if they stuck to their 2 race plan and skipped the Goodwood.I doubt the felds in the Jim Dandy (is it even a G1?) or the Travers would be as competitive as those BB faced in the FL and KY Derbies. If BB actually wins the G1 Haskell, he should be home free even without a visit to Polyassic Park.;) The JCGC helps D'Tara more than Harlem Rocker because the former is a TC leg winner.

All this assumes Curlin is not running in either the JCGC or the BCC.

cj
07-13-2008, 09:57 PM
The win today, along with several other results around the country, shows again how different synthetic tracks are from dirt. The Fort Erie fans weren't fooled this time on Harlem Rocker, though the co-favorite was terribly overbet.

banacek
07-13-2008, 11:11 PM

No kidding. And then half way down the stretch - a length or so in front and clearly going to win we hear something like "Harlem Rocker is coming back on....the heart of a champion" - don't think he ever lost the lead in the stretch.:confused:

menifee
07-14-2008, 01:15 AM
No kidding. And then half way down the stretch - a length or so in front and clearly going to win we hear something like "Harlem Rocker is coming back on....the heart of a champion" - don't think he ever lost the lead in the stretch.:confused:

I know it was pretty funny. He usually does a pretty good job, I don't know what happened to him in this race.

Cam Fella
07-14-2008, 09:06 AM
What a horrible call, saying the favorites were beat. Guy sounds like he is trying to copy Tom Durkin. No one can duplicate Durkin.

joanied
07-14-2008, 11:10 AM

Yeah.... he didn't loose the lead, "the favorites are beaten"...he was one of the favorites...DUH... and HR ain't a 'Champion' yet!!

Not sure we'll see him in the BC Classic... Stronach was really thinking HR would do well on poly...they'd worked him up there in Canada over it and he worked really good...but, sure didn't run his race on it. If he keeps his form, he'll be tough at Saratoga.

GaryG
07-14-2008, 11:19 AM
That was a nice win and he did look good winning the Withers. However, it is a long way from Canadian-breds at Fort Dreary to the BC. And isn't the BC on that weird stuff at Santa Anita? I guess we will find out more about him at Saratoga.

broadreach
07-14-2008, 01:31 PM
That was a measured but easy win. Good prizemoney too, another 300k in his account.