PDA

View Full Version : Thoroughbred running on consecutive days

midnight
03-03-2003, 02:55 PM
It's about 10 minutes to post for the eighth race at Philadelphia. Horse #3, Quick Interview hasn't been scratched yet. Quick Interview ran yesterday, finishing fourth. Announcer Keith Jones even announced that Quick Interview ran yesterday.

I don't ever remember a thoroughbred running on consecutive days before, although I remember some running as little as three days apart. I know it used to happen many years ago, but not in my memory nowadays.

Has anybody heard of anything like this in the past ten years or so?

hurrikane
03-03-2003, 03:07 PM
wow. and they have him bet down to 8/5 on the drop.
never heard of anything like his.

interesting trainer angle but only get to play once a lifetime.

midnight
03-03-2003, 03:13 PM
To make things more amazing, the horse ran a very credible second to a lone early leader.

cj
03-03-2003, 05:02 PM
It has happened lots of times in the past, but not recently that I know of anyway. King Leatherbury of Maryland fame once ran a horse in Maryland during the day and at Penn National that same night. I think the horse won both races, but I'm not positive on that.

CJ

formula_2002
03-03-2003, 05:05 PM
perpahs 20 to 25 years ago, at aqu or bel, a horse, who's name escapes me, (name began with a "T" ) must have ran 4 or 5 races
just days apart and won most if not all od them...

Joe M

Tom
03-03-2003, 05:58 PM
My friend owned this one in the 70's. He sent him to the fair circuit and he ran on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and the following Monday. Won three. From 5 furlongs to a mile and and an eigth. All at Great Barrington or Northampton-not sure.

hdcper
03-03-2003, 09:29 PM
I remember years ago, a horse named Range War ran back to back days at Tup. The first day was 1 3/4 miles and the second day was a 2 mile race on closing day.

Range War won one of them and finished second in the other. Seems he could run all day!!!!

It reminds me of harness horses that run heats to qualify for the final race.

Bill

Kentucky Bred
03-03-2003, 09:47 PM
What's more weird is that my computer PP's don't pick up on the last race the day before because they aren't yet in the computer system. Doesn't quite give me current info.

Wow, the next day. Whew! Well I've never been a trainer but I couldn't imagine Mr. William D. Anderson, Public Trainer, having a job for very long if he makes this a habit. I would like to see Mr. Anderson give his best athletic performance after running in a race the day before. In fact, I would like to see him even try to get outta bed!

Charlie Whittingham's famous line about how "Thoroughbred Racehorses are like strawberries--you pick them when they are ripe" is one thing. Yes, if your horse is hot --run him and win some races while you can. Because heaven knows that they can go out of training just as quickly, if not quicker. (All you former owners can attest to that, I'm sure)

But damn, what's wrong with running next week?

Kentucky Bred

Figman
03-03-2003, 09:52 PM
I can second Tom's memory of the horse at Great Barrington. I can't remember the horse's name but the trainer was Iva Mae Parrish, the perennial leading trainer on the Mass Fair circuit in the 1970's.

Steve 'StatMan'
03-09-2003, 10:27 PM
I've seen this, or similar only a handful of times in Chicago in late December at the end of the season. Usually it's at the lowest claiming price and the horse usually doesn't figure in either race. They were more likely trying to get the horse claimed, or have some fun running the horse before the local track closes for 2 months.

That this horse ran credibile races is amazing!

Steve 'StatMan'
03-09-2003, 10:29 PM
Funny - The horse's name is Quick Interview. I guess they wanted him back to a Second Interview!:D

JustRalph
03-22-2003, 06:10 AM
There is a horse running at Turfway Saturday 3-22-03
That ran Thursday 3-20-03........he was coming off a layoff since Oct 31, 02.

It's a non graded 50k stakes race. He is a two year old who fits at this level, when in form. He is the 3 horse in the 7th race

"oneofthebirdboys".

Should be interesting to see what he does.