PDA

View Full Version : Curlin Ready To Win Man o' War And Pass Cigar

Stevie Belmont
07-11-2008, 12:53 PM
Curlin will take on a field that consists of two BC Turf winners in Red Rocks and Better Talk Now. These two will be Curlins toughest foes, but are they good enough at this point to beat the top ranked equine in the world?

Red Rocks last win was in May in an allowance race in GB. In fact that has been his only win since taking the BC turf in 2006. Beating Curlin is a daunting task, and a daunting task for any horse in the world at this point. And in an interesting move, connections will add blinkers to the 5 year old for tomorrow’s race.

And the there is the consistent 9-year-old Better Talk Now who has earned over 4 million dollars on grass and is a BC Turf winner himself. He had a rough trip last out in the Manhattan on Belmont Stakes day. Better Talk Now will have to run one of the better races of his life to win Saturday, if Curlin shows up with his A game, and there is no reason to think he will not.

Sudan and Mission Approved will be the expected pace setters of the race, but both are out classed against the top ranked horse in the world. True Cause and Grand Couturier round out the field for the Man o’ War. Grand Couturier won the Sword Dancer last year at Saratoga, beating the top grass horse English Channel, but has been inconsistent and is far behind Curlin in the class department, as is True Cause, who has yet to win a graded stakes of any type in the United States.

Of course the only question that remains is, will Curlin take to the grass? His work on July 1, 2008 was superb, finishing in 12.20. Being by Smart Strike, who is a Mr. Prospector, the blood certainly indicates up top that the grass will be a non-issue, he should relish his time on it. In winning the BC Classic, he did so over an ankle deep muddy track at Monmouth, which is another indicator that he will run well on the grass.

Curlin will be the prohibitive favorite, and some will look the other way as he is trying to do something for the first time, but we are not talking about a regular horse, we are talking the number 1 ranked horse in the world, who has defeated the best of the best so far on dirt. I expect Curlin to make a powerful late run and draw clear to win the Man o’ War and go on in his quest to win the Arc in October. This is the first step in trying to achieve that goal.

As a betting proposition, I feel Curlin is a solid single in pick bets, as he is the best horse in the race, with great form with a tremendous resume. A win will make him the richest horse in North American history, and would give him his 10th win in 13 starts, and it would be his 6th GI victory. Curlin is carving out his place in the history books with each strong win, and a new chapter will begin tomorrow as he runs on the turf for the first time. The big, muscular, powerfully built Curlin is ready to become the new all-time money earner, and is ready to continue his winning ways. Belmont Park will be the backdrop for a historical moment in thoroughbred racing.

Stevie Belmont
07-11-2008, 01:45 PM
Cigar earned $9,999,815 and to date Curlin has earned $9,396,800...

The purse of the Man o' War is $500,000, so even with a win, he would not be able to pass him tomorrow. I thought he was closer to 10 million, but he would still be shy of it.

46zilzal
07-11-2008, 01:56 PM
At one time I used to equate off track performance to turf performance. ALL the trainers and riders I have talked with about that tell me the two might occur in the same horse but that they are not related one to one.