PC System

MICROSOFT XP HOME EDITION Version 2002
Service Pack 3
(always updated to current fixes)

Intel (R)
Pentium (R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz
1.80 GHz, 512 MB of RAM

System Restore turned ON

Here's an issue that started about 2 years ago, went away for a year, but has now resurfaced, such that it keeps happening 1-3 times a week.

After my computer shuts itself down from WINDOWS, and the power light on the front of the computer goes off, I "switch at the back" turn off, and "power bar" turn off my computer every night.

To fire it up the next day, I turn on the power bar, flick the switch for power on the back of the computer on, and then push the power button on the front of the computer on to get it going.

This is the problem:

After I switch on the power bar on the floor, and I flick the power button on the back of the computer, instead of waiting for me to press the power button on the front of the computer, it just starts itself up automatically (as if I don't have control, so to speak).

Usually flicking the switch on the back of the computer simply turns on some green lights inside the casing, but not actually fire it up until the button on the front is depressed.

This message comes up now upon booting instead of going to the "black WINDOWS XP with progress bar" page and "welcome" sequence:
Black page, INTEL at the top with information, then this message:

===

"A 533 MHz system bus processor is installed. This processor is not supported on this desktop board, and will run at reduced processor clock speed. System performance will be affected.

Do you wish to continue to boot at 400 MHz system bus and reduced processor speed? (Y/N)

Press Y to continue, or N to shut down."

(Note: I have no idea if this technical info is TRUE or not, or is simply part of the suspected issue or virus that gets me to do what it ultimately wants.)

===
Now, the result of which has been I select Y, then the system usually says (paraphrasing because it didn't happen this way today): "Can't run, press F4 to run setup."

That would then take me to a page where it showed me that my computer's clock was set to Jan. 1, 2002. It allowed me to reset the clock to whatever time and date it was that day, then hit F10 to save changes. Then it would proceed to the "black WINDOWS XP with progress bar" page and "welcome" sequence.

That would start up WINDOWS with the proper clock and date settings.
This fix lasted for a year or so the first time. Then it mysteriously re-appeared again one day last year. It has recently happened about 7 times in the last 3 weeks.

Today, however, is the first time it didn't quite follow the same procedure.

Instead of telling me to press F4 to run setup after I pressed Y, it started WINDOWS up normally on its own, but once launched, I noticed the time and date were December 31, 2001.
So, I right-clicked the bottom right hand corner of my screen and selected ADJUST DATE/TIME, and changed it to today's date and time manually. Then, I restarted my computer.

It booted up no problem, and when WINDOWS started, today's date and time were there as I had just set them.

===

Long story longer....I think I have some sort of embedded virus from two years ago still affecting my computer.

I have KASPERSKY anti-virus, and update it religiously everyday. It seems to catch things all the time, so I believe it to be working well.

However, this "message and time altering" issue now leads me to believe otherwise.

I will say that if I don't switch off my computer at the back after it shuts itself down, then I can simply push the power button on the front the next day, and it starts up fine, without losing its clock memory.

I am not much of a computer technical person, but I do understand some basics. Any info or help you may have is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

098poi
07-10-2008, 10:50 PM
There is a battery on the motherboard which holds BIOS settings (like date and time) and it may need to be replaced. Also this habit of turning power on and off every time you shut down may not be the best. Just shut down through windows, and only if you are in the middle of a lightning storm, or some other electrical event like continuous power surges from the power company, then remove all power, cable or phone lines to your computer. (Lightning is not scared away by a surge protector and it doesn't need to hit your house to damage your modem or power supply. Lightning rules!) If you go away for a few days it's not a bad idea to unplug everything also. Good luck!

JustRalph
07-10-2008, 10:51 PM
when you turn off the power strip the machine is plugged into you are simulating a power failure and the machine is drawing on the CMOS battery on the motherboard (like a watch battery usually, although I haven't' changed one in a few years) and eventually that battery gets run down enough to lose settings and you see problems like you are experiencing.

Sometimes this battery will charge back up some if you leave the machine on...........but since this problem has happen before............and it went away.........you probably have already been thru a draw-down and recharge scenario........and now have a compromised battery............leave your machine on for a a couple three days and see if the problem goes away. Stop turning off the strip that the machine is plugged into.........you should leave some power to the power supply at all times.

If you can't solve the problem after leaving the machine on for a few days.......you will need to change the battery on the motherboard.

Just my guess..........

ponyplayerdotca
07-10-2008, 11:19 PM
Okay, I will do as you both say and see if it helps.

Just Ralph, when you say "leave your machine on for three days", do you mean don't turn off my computer, (i.e. don't "shut down" windows)?

Just leave it running? Or do you mean shut it down, but don't turn off the power to it?

Thanks again.

JustRalph
07-10-2008, 11:49 PM
Okay, I will do as you both say and see if it helps.

Just Ralph, when you say "leave your machine on for three days", do you mean don't turn off my computer, (i.e. don't "shut down" windows)?

Just leave it running? Or do you mean shut it down, but don't turn off the power to it?

Thanks again.

Leave it on........... I never turn mine off......except for my laptops......the toughest thing you will ever do to your machine is powering down the hard drive and spinning it back up. I didn't say, don't reboot it........everybody should reboot their machine daily........and more often if using Win98 or anything before that time.......You can turn your monitor off if you want...........especially if it is a CRT.......but otherwise they make great nightlights.............. :lol:

I know this is a famous argument in the world of computers......and I don't care to stir it up again........so you guys that want to jump in here and scream at me.........skip it...........please............

Pony, I use to deal with this motherboard issue all the time when I was a fulltime computer support type..........give it a whirl............. :ThmbUp: