PDA

View Full Version : The Rutabaga Gets his way......Again!!!

JustRalph
07-09-2008, 10:57 PM
For being such an idiot............he sure steamrolls over this Dem Congress :lol:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/T/TERRORIST_SURVEILLANCE?SITE=OHCOL&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Jul 9, 10:51 PM EDT

Senate bows to Bush, approves surveillance bill

By PAMELA HESS
Associated Press Writer
http://hosted.ap.org/photos/A/aff41dc3-ff19-4db1-afea-8ea3ecdb91c6-big.jpg

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Bowing to President Bush's demands, the Senate approved and sent the White House a bill Wednesday to overhaul bitterly disputed rules on secret government eavesdropping and shield telecommunications companies from lawsuits complaining they helped the U.S. spy on Americans.

The relatively one-sided vote, 69-28, came only after a lengthy and heated debate that pitted privacy and civil liberties concerns against the desire to prevent terrorist attacks. It ended almost a year of wrangling in the Democratic-led Congress over surveillance rules and the president's warrantless wiretapping program that was initiated after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

The House passed the same bill last month, and Bush said he would sign it soon.

Opponents assailed the eavesdropping program, asserting that it imperiled citizens' rights of privacy from government intrusion. But Bush said the legislation protects those rights as well as Americans' security.

"This bill will help our intelligence professionals learn who the terrorists are talking to, what they're saying and what they're planning," he said in a brief White House appearance after the Senate vote.

Greyfox
07-09-2008, 11:02 PM
And look who supported the bill. Just another flip flop.

From: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/09/AR2008070902055.html

"Today, Democratic Presidential candidate Barack Obama voted for H.R.6304 (http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d110:h6304:), which amends the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (F.I.S.A). In doing so he voted to give telecommunication providers immunity against civil damages that they might incur in the course of enabling the government to execute wiretaps and other types of electronic surveillance. He did so, after an amendment to the bill that would have stripped out the immunity provision, S.Amdt. 5064 (http://www.govtrack.us/congress/vote.xpd?vote=s2008-164), was defeated 32-66. In voting for the bill, Obama acted in direct contradiction to his earlier statements."

HUSKER55
07-09-2008, 11:18 PM
Obama is just another DC liaar. This is different because???

riskman
07-09-2008, 11:59 PM
What a bunch of goobers and extremist cranks now polluting the chambers on Capitol Hill. These rubberstampers in Congress exhalt in aggressive war, torture, rendition, indefinite detention, monumental corruption, spying on citizens, megalomaniacal assertions of tyrannical power – it's all good for the good fight against terror, yet these cowboys are unable to get the biggest bastard-- Osama.
None of this repressive machinery would be necessary – if this administrations actual intention was to track terrorists and uncover potential threats. Presidents in need of domestic surveillance have long had access to the secret FISA court that greenlights eavesdropping whenever there is even the remotest hint of possible danger. Since 1978, the court has approved more than 18,700 such requests and rejected only four. It even has an emergency provision that allows presidents to start wiretapping without prior approval. But these vast powers aren't enough for Bush; in fact, he apparently began circumventing the court with warrantless phone record spying seven months before the 9/11 attacks. The bill will allow Bush to quash the lawsuit from which this revelation emerged. Whatever he is really doing with his warrantless spy programs – whatever he's trying desperately to keep hidden from independent oversight – it has little or nothing to do with "fighting terrorism."

skate
07-10-2008, 12:14 AM
Ruta's on a roll.:cool:

This may be the very first time that the USA folks dun voted for a KING. :p

riskman
07-10-2008, 01:15 AM
What Bush could not accomplish in 2005 with a Republican majority in Congress, was handed over to him like a serf to a king by the most spineless, treasonous group of Democrats to ever assemble in one place.

Barak Obama voted for final passage of the bill, and in a moment of "I told you so", Senator Hillary Clinton voted against it. Bush is is not confused tonight--with a smirk on his face he is thinking ' Right in your face, and with a middle finger at you to boot'. ;)

JustRalph
07-10-2008, 02:52 AM
And look who supported the bill. Just another flip flop.

From: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/09/AR2008070902055.html

"Today, Democratic Presidential candidate Barack Obama voted for H.R.6304 (http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d110:h6304:), which amends the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (F.I.S.A). In doing so he voted to give telecommunication providers immunity against civil damages that they might incur in the course of enabling the government to execute wiretaps and other types of electronic surveillance. He did so, after an amendment to the bill that would have stripped out the immunity provision, S.Amdt. 5064 (http://www.govtrack.us/congress/vote.xpd?vote=s2008-164), was defeated 32-66. In voting for the bill, Obama acted in direct contradiction to his earlier statements."

Yeah, but Jesse is getting serious about his threats toward Obama..........he better watch out...........

http://www.justralph.com/jackson_obama.jpg

Tom
07-10-2008, 07:36 AM
And yet another Reverand causes Obama angst!:lol:

Is this not a look into the real Jesse, like it was for Imus?
Should Jesse be fired?
Does the same standard apply to Jesse as Imus?

skate
07-12-2008, 05:01 PM
You know better.

They (mrdia) must have the competition, does Not mater what's "right or wrong".

Pump up the figure, then add a little color.

To the tune "hokey pokey";)
Put your left foot out...

PaceAdvantage
07-13-2008, 10:29 PM
The relatively one-sided vote, 69-28, came only after a lengthy and heated debate that pitted privacy and civil liberties concerns against the desire to prevent terrorist attacks.Let me get this straight. Weren't the far-left posters on this board up in arms over this particular version of FISA, first introduced in 1978, and amended after 9/11 and again in 2007 as a terrorist surveillance program instituted by the Bush admin?

Didn't folks like maybe Suff, Light, LJB, Secretariat and others tell us how terribly wrong this was for our nation, how it eroded our rights, how it went completely against what our founding-fathers had written into the Constitution of the United States?

Wasn't this policy/bill allowed to EXPIRE on February 17, 2008 (according to the "wonderful" wikipedia)?

So, for the past SIX MONTHS our nation has sat around with this policy EXPIRED while terrorists around the world (and probably in our own country) continue to plot against us and our allies unabated (and for those six months, unobserved)?

BUT (and here's the kicker), this policy/bill was recently REVIVED BY A 69-28 vote in the freakin SENATE?????? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Now, let's get this all straight in our heads.....

THE DEMOCRATS, who control the SENATE, allowed this bill/policy to DIE for SIX MONTHS (and thus, they allowed our country to miss vital intelligence that it will NEVER be able to regain) for PURELY POLITICAL reasons, only to vote OVERWHELMINGLY for this bill/policy in July when THE POLITICS INVOLVED allowed them to do so?

It is so obvious by the one-sided nature of this vote that this bill/policy should NEVER have been allowed to DIE in the first place. The only reason it did was because Democrats saw an opportunity once again to paint George W. Bush as some sort of evil totalitarian despot.

Once that opportunity was used up, they went back and sensibly (and ENTHUSIASTICALLY mind you) voted this bill/policy back into existence.

This is perhaps the sickest and most dangerous maneuver I have seen yet from these stone-cold MOFO Democrats in Congress.

And you want to elect Obama President of the United States? My God! Have mercy on us all....

Lefty
07-14-2008, 12:27 PM
Wow, just imagine what GW could have accomplished if he were half as smart as the libs THINK they are.

Greyfox
07-14-2008, 01:15 PM
Wow, just imagine what GW could have accomplished if he were half as smart as the libs THINK they are.

For sure. GW is a great visionary.

http://georgeisanidiot.com/Images/Bush-binoculars.gif.

ezrabrooks
07-14-2008, 01:38 PM
G-Fox...you will fall for anything.

Greyfox
07-14-2008, 01:53 PM
G-Fox...you will fall for anything.

And why not? The majority of America seems to take the bait in every election.
That puts me in a large club.

By the way, that's my cousin on the right. ;)

JustRalph
07-14-2008, 02:32 PM
http://www.signs-of-the-times.org/image/image/292/medium/clinton_binoculars.jpg

Guess who this one is..........

Greyfox
07-14-2008, 02:34 PM
Does he have an unusual use for cigars? :lol:

ezrabrooks
07-14-2008, 02:49 PM
Does he have an unusual use for cigars? :lol:

Not sure...but that is my cousin behind him...

JustRalph
07-14-2008, 04:25 PM
Not sure...but that is my cousin behind him...
:lol: :lol:

ddog
07-14-2008, 08:03 PM
Let me get this straight. Weren't the far-left posters on this board up in arms over this particular version of FISA, first introduced in 1978, and amended after 9/11 and again in 2007 as a terrorist surveillance program instituted by the Bush admin?

Didn't folks like maybe Suff, Light, LJB, Secretariat and others tell us how terribly wrong this was for our nation, how it eroded our rights, how it went completely against what our founding-fathers had written into the Constitution of the United States?

Wasn't this policy/bill allowed to EXPIRE on February 17, 2008 (according to the "wonderful" wikipedia)?

So, for the past SIX MONTHS our nation has sat around with this policy EXPIRED while terrorists around the world (and probably in our own country) continue to plot against us and our allies unabated (and for those six months, unobserved)?

BUT (and here's the kicker), this policy/bill was recently REVIVED BY A 69-28 vote in the freakin SENATE?????? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Now, let's get this all straight in our heads.....

THE DEMOCRATS, who control the SENATE, allowed this bill/policy to DIE for SIX MONTHS (and thus, they allowed our country to miss vital intelligence that it will NEVER be able to regain) for PURELY POLITICAL reasons, only to vote OVERWHELMINGLY for this bill/policy in July when THE POLITICS INVOLVED allowed them to do so?

It is so obvious by the one-sided nature of this vote that this bill/policy should NEVER have been allowed to DIE in the first place. The only reason it did was because Democrats saw an opportunity once again to paint George W. Bush as some sort of evil totalitarian despot.

Once that opportunity was used up, they went back and sensibly (and ENTHUSIASTICALLY mind you) voted this bill/policy back into existence.

This is perhaps the sickest and most dangerous maneuver I have seen yet from these stone-cold MOFO Democrats in Congress.

And you want to elect Obama President of the United States? My God! Have mercy on us all....

It never died, it reverted.
Guess what, Us didn't miss anything, nothing stopped, nothing.
That WAS politcal theater from both sides for your entertainment.
Seems you bought it.
That's your right, but it ain't perceptive.
sorry for that.

PaceAdvantage
07-15-2008, 02:10 AM
It never died, it reverted.Reverted to what? The 1978 version that is not adequate for 2008?

And why does this matter. The whole point of my post is that the Democratically-led Congress allowed this bill to EXPIRE (or revert, as you call it) for SIX MONTHS, only to vote it back into existence SIX MONTHS later by OVERWHELMING MAJORITY.

My bottom-line question to you is, why did it take six months? What kind of major overhaul of the bill took six months to complete? What concessions were made? Has anything SIGNIFICANT changed that would warrant a six month delay?

You're the one with all the answers, and all my free time is spent moderating this board, so I'll thank you in advance for your follow-up reply.

ddog
07-15-2008, 11:53 AM
Ok, time is short - bullets for "whiners"

Political theater (short subject for the time impaired). :sleeping:

1.Reverted to Bush signing statment not 78. Passage just made it public law, not prez signage.

Short over resume regular time sched. :sleeping:

You REALLY THINK(I can type caps!!) Bush would allow the country to go unprotected for 6 MONTHS due to a dispute over telco retro imunnity?
If so, then he is not the correct person to be in that office.

No way.
He could have had the deal anytime but for retro.
Of course, the gvt can give any of them a get out of jail free card and did.

I will give you this though,
You do have your marker down , so now you can proudly point to your original post when/if another attack goes down as an I told you so post.

skate
07-15-2008, 01:45 PM
just goes to show us, that we didnt elect a "KingGeorge". Congress makes the law and it takes more that six months to make the law.

George put em out of business, but we still MIGHT need the security.

Thanks George/Dick.