PDA

View Full Version : Javier Castellano

larman
07-08-2008, 08:07 AM
Maybe I can be considered biased since Ive cashed a couple of
bets (both bailouts) lately but doesnt Castellano seem to be much
improved this year, especially on the grass?

wegoosewe
07-08-2008, 09:31 AM
i have noticed that.. When he is on the grass he just makes it happen.. great rider he is starting pick up a lot of good mounts will be interesting to see how he does at the spa this summer.

Robert Fischer
07-08-2008, 09:40 AM
He went through a rough period where either his agent, or by coincidence, he was getting a lot of early speed horses on the grass.
When he gets a horse on the turf who can rally, he is actually a solid jockey.

point given
07-08-2008, 09:49 AM
i have noticed that.. When he is on the grass he just makes it happen.. great rider he is starting pick up a lot of good mounts will be interesting to see how he does at the spa this summer.
especially without gomez at the meet, as he will be at delmar.

misscashalot
07-08-2008, 10:07 AM
especially without gomez at the meet, as he will be at delmar.

Is Gomez leaving for the coast a tell about Pletcher?

point given
07-08-2008, 10:15 AM
Is Gomez leaving for the coast a tell about Pletcher?
I was thinking the same thing, but maybe too much competition in ny now too, or he got tired of being bicoastal. He wintered in cali anyways.

wegoosewe
07-08-2008, 10:46 AM
coa is on top of the standings right now but.. i think Castellano is a much better rider. Coa i think is one way type rider.. Coa doesnt like to come from behind. just the way i see it.

Marshall Bennett
07-08-2008, 12:46 PM
coa is on top of the standings right now but.. i think Castellano is a much better rider. Coa i think is one way type rider.. Coa doesnt like to come from behind. just the way i see it.
I've seen Coa pull off some amazing rides . They're both fine jockeys . I'd rank them both highly .

wegoosewe
07-08-2008, 02:15 PM
I've seen Coa pull off some amazing rides . They're both fine jockeys . I'd rank them both highly .

Coa holds is own just sometimes i think he is a little to aggresive sometimes for the horse he is on.Like if he is on a horse that is going on the front end, coa is a big threat..I just havent seen him do to many come from behind rides. Castellano will let his horse do what it wants but in the end he is right there.

Turfday
07-08-2008, 03:38 PM
This search was from yesterday backwards three years (thus last 1,095 calendar days). This provides a very good sample size.

The search I am including is based on a minimum of 750 turf mounts in this time period, although any search sample size can be used.

Note that only seven jockeys in North America have ridden more than 1,000 turf mounts in this time period.

Castellano and Coa are right up there. So is Lezcano, who doesn't get the choicest mounts. AOPS = average odds his starters (mounts) went off at. AOPW = average odds his winner's paid.

wegoosewe
07-08-2008, 11:14 PM
great stats. I didnt think coa was that high up there. But the one thing i noticed was kent d's average i kinda thought he would have been a little higher up on the list.

menifee
07-10-2008, 03:51 PM
What a ride by Castellano on the 10 Solvent to get up at the wire in Belmont's 6th today. The ML was 20-1. Horse went off at 9-1. The favorite did scratch.

The guy seems to be riding lights out on the turf.

the little guy
07-10-2008, 07:03 PM
What a ride by Castellano on the 10 Solvent to get up at the wire in Belmont's 6th today. The ML was 20-1. Horse went off at 9-1. The favorite did scratch.

The guy seems to be riding lights out on the turf.

Yeah, his ride on One in a Romp in Wednesday's 6th race was lights out for sure....as in the lights were out upstairs. Believe me, I'm glad, as it enabled me to hit the exacta, but that was vintage Castellano.....as he's Mr. wide premature move.

He is a nice guy however.

menifee
07-11-2008, 03:07 AM
Yeah, his ride on One in a Romp in Wednesday's 6th race was lights out for sure....as in the lights were out upstairs. Believe me, I'm glad, as it enabled me to hit the exacta, but that was vintage Castellano.....as he's Mr. wide premature move.

You're are right, he did move too soon in this race. I don't know if it cost the horse the race, but it was premature. Oh well, two different races, two different Castellanos.

eastie
07-11-2008, 10:59 AM
how many horses who middle move on the turf win ? not many. While it is a winning move on the dirt in many cases, on the turf it is the kiss of death and the sooner a rider regonizes that, the better off he will be.

As far as Gomez is concerned, he is getting no live mounts and not a ton of mounts either. he would rather ride against the likes of Gryder and Mig, than compete here where everyone is already hooked up with outfits.

Coa has been on hold on most of the faves he's been on. If you're sitting there with him at 2-1 or less....you probably aren't cashing. Coa off a beaten fave might be a good angle.

5th race the 5 today...i thought he got a bad ride from Cornelio last time, if he gets pace today he should make amends. If the 6 gets loose though, look out.

eastie
07-11-2008, 11:10 AM

if prado wasn't dickin around on aristo, he would have won and you would have hit a bettrer exacta.

menifee
07-14-2008, 01:43 AM
This guy is on fire.

Delaware Race 9 - 7/13 Another double digit winner.