PDA

View Full Version : Flix:NetFlix

bigmack
07-07-2008, 08:57 PM
I've spoken ill of the joint as I was one of their initial customers and they fell into a "lag the shipping" policy that I wasn't coocoo about, however...

This new deal of "Watch It Now"? Hell, for $16/mo (or whatever) they'll send you 3 DVD's to keep at a time and -here's the best/new part- you can instantly watch (For Free) any film/TV Show/documentary, within a current list of 10,000. The list is fairly robust, Indie included.

Have a TV out option on your computer if you don't want to sit at the compoot. With a reasonable connection & a laptop you could be watching Elvis: The Ed Sullivan Shows, The Complete 3rd & 4th seasons of L&O:Criminal Intent, or a latest release @ Isbets coffee shop or an airport somewhere. Not bad.

From what I can tell, heck of deal. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

raybo
07-09-2008, 02:56 AM
I have the package you speak of and it sounds great. Problem is that I've tried to watch movies 4 times so far and after a few minutes they stop running and you can't restart them without going through the whole process again, only to have it stop a few minutes later. It's not my internet connection causing the problem, must be their player or some sort of file corruption problem or something.

rrbauer
07-09-2008, 07:20 AM
I only have the "2-at-a-time" service but I've found their customer service to be quite responsive whenever I had any problems. They opened a new shipping depot 90 miles away (Knoxville) earlier this year (used to be in Atlanta) and the to/from service is now overnight. I'm up to my ears in baseball (DTV extra-innings package) right now so it's hard finding time to watch a movie!

I haven't tried any download/watch of movies on a PC yet (call me Mr. Low-Tech!) but I'm interested in what others have experienced both good and bad.

JustRalph
07-09-2008, 11:51 AM
The scratched disks are driving me nuts!

One in three shows up that will hardly run in any of my four players :ThmbDown:

Getting close to canceling

rufus999
07-09-2008, 11:58 AM
I'll give Net Flix credit for offering the option of streaming bit video, but I'll stick with BT and E-mule for now.

rufus

rrbauer
07-09-2008, 12:52 PM
The scratched disks are driving me nuts!

One in three shows up that will hardly run in any of my four players :ThmbDown:

Getting close to canceling

I've had two damaged disks (one actually split in two) in about 2.5 years (less a couple 2-mos vacations) and they replaced both...but, that's a couple days you paid for that you don't have a disk and they don't give any credit for that (but I've never asked for credit!).

Maybe it's the 1930-era movies you're watching.... :lol:

bigmack
07-09-2008, 01:53 PM
I haven't experienced any player problems, as Raybo has. I will interject that the 10,000 to choose from within the "Watch Instantly" are a bit arcane with the exception of the TV section.

Scratched discs are a problem with any of these by mail offerings. I've said it before and I'll reiterate; I burn 'em with DVD Fab and send them back the same day. No point in waiting til I can get around to watching them. That ain't a Bozo no-no is it? For personal use only. Nah, it can't be illegal.

raybo
07-09-2008, 03:08 PM
I haven't experienced any player problems, as Raybo has. I will interject that the 10,000 to choose from within the "Watch Instantly" are a bit arcane with the exception of the TV section.

Scratched discs are a problem with any of these by mail offerings. I've said it before and I'll reiterate; I burn 'em with DVD Fab and send them back the same day. No point in waiting til I can get around to watching them. That ain't a Bozo no-no is it? For personal use only. Nah, it can't be illegal.

I wasn't aware you could copy these DVDs, aren't they protected from this? What is "DVD Fab"?

bigmack
07-09-2008, 03:18 PM
I wasn't aware you could copy these DVDs, aren't they protected from this? What is "DVD Fab"?
It's the best burning software. I've rarely not been able to burn a DVD because of copyright protection. I'll normally click the "Main Movie Only" button, cutting out all the previews & what not. In that way when you pop the DVD in, it starts playing without any pestering add-ons.
http://www.dvdfab.com/

I am happy to report Netflix has all 114 episodes of one of the great TV shows.

http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/Odd-Couple-Photograph-C12121450.jpeg