PDA

View Full Version : rockingham park

lamboguy
07-07-2008, 04:06 AM
i was near rockingham last week for a doctor's appointment, so when i was done i decided to drive north an extra 3 minutes to go to the place, and maybe catch a few faces that i haven't seen in 10 years. the place hadn't changed much, i walked into the sports pub and saw a waitress, rosie, she was always good friends of chris mccaron. when chris was on a live first timer in california he always called her. i asked her where is everyone? what happened to "tony the tout" and woody the guy that sold the tout sheets with green sheet posted to his hat that he wore outside saratoga race track and the north hampton fair. she said these guys died a few years ago. where is everyone else. she said no one comes here anymore, they have a nightly bingo game and a new poker room. there is no longer a thoughrobred meet, just a 60 day harness meet that is empty. the total handle is less than $25,000 for a 10 race card.
i remember the first day i ever walked into the rock, back in the mid 60's. at that time a guy from new york owned the place by the name of lou smith.

they had picnic benches, lots of trees, and people waiting to walk into the place with loaded up coolers. every betting window had a teller behind it with machine's spitting out the old tickets. they had $2.00 $ 5.00 $10.00 and private window's for $50.00 tickets.

the wagering windows are now closed, and the picnic tables don't exist, and the beautiful trees have been replace by the rockingham mall.

i know lou smith is looking at the place today in horse racing heaven. i promise you this, he is rolling over in his grave right now seeing what became of his dream.

wilderness
07-07-2008, 11:16 AM
You mean the apron don't look like this anymore?

http://www.mi-harness.net/eur/RockinghamParkOpener1963.jpg