PDA

View Full Version : Printer Ink Question

so.cal.fan
07-05-2008, 02:56 PM
I have an old Epson Stylus C60 printer.
Ink is over $30 a cartridge.
Is it worth while buying the cheaper stuff online.
I've used it before, and it's been okay.....doesn't seem to last quite as long, but then I started having a problem of my printer software rejecting it.
They knew it was a counterfit.
Is there any type I can buy any cheaper than $30 or am I out of luck here.
I don't use my printer that much, except during the Del Mar meet.....which is why I have held off buying a good one..
Thanks for any tips. :)

rrbauer
07-05-2008, 04:54 PM
I don't use my printer that much, except during the Del Mar meet.....which is why I have held off buying a good one..
Thanks for any tips. :)

If it works, don't fix it!

Pace Cap'n
07-05-2008, 05:43 PM
You might check the yellow pages for a discount cartridge seller. They are also counterfeit, but work with my HP just fine. About 40% cheaper.

I haven't tried this yet, but Walgreens has been advertising "Bring in your empty cartridge and we will refill it in ten minutes for $10." Got to try that sometime.

JustRalph
07-05-2008, 06:05 PM
if you don't need color, laser is the way to go now.
and it doesn't dry out.

they even make cheap ones that are wireless now for $139

Costco HL2170W Brother Printer
http://content.costco.com/Images/Content/Product/246309.jpg

cmoore
07-05-2008, 06:53 PM
Like Ralph said..Go LASER when you buy your next printer..I print my pps in draft mode. I probably get 6 thousand pages out of one toner cartridge..four of them costs me $170..

I used to refill my cartridges up when I had an ink jet. I did that for a few years. Got tired of it. I never had a problem with the ink I bought. My ink jet cartridges would last about 5-7 refills.

BillW
07-05-2008, 07:05 PM
if you don't need color, laser is the way to go now.
and it doesn't dry out.

they even make cheap ones that are wireless now for $139

Costco HL2170W Brother Printer
http://content.costco.com/Images/Content/Product/246309.jpg
Diane,

I bought an HL2040 refurbished printer last year to carry on trips. It cost me $65 and the cost per page is around $0.02 to $0.03. Great printer!

HL2070 is running about $125 now ...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=1697276&sku=B50-HL2070N%20RB&srkey=refurbished

Bill

headhawg
07-05-2008, 07:50 PM
I use Shop4Tech.com for my cartridges. They are cheap and have free delivery through USPS. I have used them for a couple of years now. My Epson CX3200 cartridges were $28. Now, I get a 3-pack for about $13 for black and the single color cartridge is about $5. I think the prices for the C60 are in the same range. Just go to www.shop4tech.com and do a search in the Ink/Toner section for the Epson C60.

I will caution that the quality is not a good on the color as the original Epson but the cost savings is tremendous.

Tom
07-05-2008, 08:08 PM
Tru Office Max - the ones around here refill cartridges to get around that nasty little rip off of detecting counterfite containers.

But Laser, if you can live without color, is fast and cheap. Much like me. :eek:

BillW
07-05-2008, 08:11 PM
Tru Office Max - the ones around here refill cartridges to get around that nasty little rip off of detecting counterfite containers.

But Laser, if you can live without color, is fast and cheap. Much like me. :eek:

There you go, Diane. You can hire Tom and keep him supplied with No. 2 pencils and paper (and the occasional banana). :lol: :lol:

karlskorner
07-05-2008, 08:13 PM
You might try LD Products, 2500 Grand Ave., Long Beach, Ca. 888-321-2552.

I have been using them for past 2 years and their price beats everyone I have checked. This past Monday I was doing something for my wife and the Brothers 240C I use stopped printing, seems the unit is self cleaning and uses the color cartridges as well as black when cleaning and the color was empty, unit won't run if one or more cartridges are empty. Went to Office Depot and paid $38.00 for the 3 color cartriges, I almost had a heart attack. Called LD Products Tues at 6PM, they had a 15 percent discount on 4 black and 2 each of the colors, cost $38.94 including shipping for 10 cartridges and what was a pleasant surprise Thursday morning received an E-mail that package had arrived in Ft.Lauderdale 6:30AM and was at my door by 10AM.
Since I print 30 or more black full pages each day there is a race I never bothered to check the color cartridges.

dutchboy
07-05-2008, 08:20 PM
I have used Printpal.com for 3 years with no problem except when I tried the refill kits. Was not a good idea.

We have a laser printer at work that must print over 50,000 pages on one cartridge so the cost of the ink is nothing compared to the cost of the paper.

Does anyone have experience with the printer software utility programs that will adjust the spacing and blanks lines to reduce paper waste?

wes
07-05-2008, 09:21 PM
InkjetSuperStore.com

Can check their web site. I have got good service from them.

wes

gillenr
07-05-2008, 09:42 PM
Some Walgreens refill. I just paid $21 - tax inc. - for 2 black for my HP Deskjet 890C. The first refill lasted 3 months, so I was happy. Doubt I use as much as most of you.

headhawg
07-05-2008, 11:11 PM
Does anyone have experience with the printer software utility programs that will adjust the spacing and blanks lines to reduce paper waste?Download the trial version and see if this will work for you.

FinePrint Software (http://www.fineprint.com/products/fineprint/index.html)

so.cal.fan
07-06-2008, 01:49 AM
Thanks for all the good tips, you guys!
I'm going to review all your suggestions over the next few days, check out the websites.
The laser sounds very interesting....I was under the impression they were far more expensive than the one Ralph suggests.
That's about the same price I paid for this little Epson......which has never really worked all that well, but well enough to reject counterfit ink cartridges.
:rolleyes:

skate
07-13-2008, 12:27 PM
Re fill kits working great for about 10 years or so, gotta watch a little when they want to dry up, print starts to fade, refill right away to correct.

i've used the same cartrage for years. buy the ink by the quart.

dutchboy
07-13-2008, 01:30 PM
I retract the suggestion for Printpal. Last week I received from them 2 remanufactured inkjet cartridges. They were made in China and did not work in my printer even though the box said they were for this printer.

Printpal will not issue a refund unless I pay for non refundable shipping of non working Chinese crap back to them.

I have used Printpal.com for 3 years with no problem except when I tried the refill kits. Was not a good idea.

We have a laser printer at work that must print over 50,000 pages on one cartridge so the cost of the ink is nothing compared to the cost of the paper.

Does anyone have experience with the printer software utility programs that will adjust the spacing and blanks lines to reduce paper waste?

so.cal.fan
07-13-2008, 01:33 PM
We bought one of the refill kits several years ago, and found it messy and difficult to use.
Perhaps they are better quality now.
I hesitate to buy the counterfits from China......guess I'll just wait and see how much I use the printer this summer, and perhaps get a laser this fall.
I'm leaning in that direction.
Thank you all for your information.

mrharness
07-13-2008, 03:04 PM
Watch the sales, you can get a brand new printer for $30 - complete with ink cartidges - sometimes less. Buy a couple of the same brand and you wouldn't have to go through the installation process when you throw out the old printer.

andicap
07-13-2008, 03:11 PM
I use those cheaper generic HP cartridges and while the black and white ones are fine I have encountered problems with the color cartridges. About 1 out of 3 times the color is way off. E.G., blue comes out pink, the green hardly shows up unless you put it on bold, etc.
I've tried several ways to remedy this (put the color on "normal" instead of "draft," or even use the custom-made settings.) I've cleaned the printer heads, all that stuff, etc. I dont think its the printer because i'll take out a bad cartridge and the next one will be fine.

Anyone have any ideas what causes this? I would guess a dodgy cartridge which is what the printer companies always warn about in using the generic ones.

Any other ideas?

so.cal.fan
07-13-2008, 03:15 PM
Mr. Harness!
I'll check out your idea!

mrharness
07-13-2008, 03:40 PM
This week, ABC Warehouse, local discount store has Lexmark for $39.

Last week Big Lots, Hewlett Packard deskjet D2430 printer, $27.
Big Lots is in Calif.
www.biglots.com (http://www.biglots.com)

Pace Cap'n
07-13-2008, 03:46 PM
Intrigued by the low price for a color cartridge, I tried the LD store Karl recommended.

It doesn't work at all.

wes
07-13-2008, 04:04 PM
http://www.inkjetsuperstore.com

Good place to deal with.

wes

skate
07-13-2008, 04:43 PM
The only problem i've had with any cartridge, would be if i did not fill in time. that's to say, before the ink runs out.

Color might give you a problem ( i only use the black) because you might use less, and then forget to fill on time.

Also, when you buy a new Printer, they like to change the rules, so the refill kit wont be for the new printer.

check inside for cartridge type.

skate
07-13-2008, 04:46 PM
friendly site herehttp://www.printerfillingstation.com/index.htm

robert99
07-13-2008, 05:49 PM
I use those cheaper generic HP cartridges and while the black and white ones are fine I have encountered problems with the color cartridges. About 1 out of 3 times the color is way off. E.G., blue comes out pink, the green hardly shows up unless you put it on bold, etc.
I've tried several ways to remedy this (put the color on "normal" instead of "draft," or even use the custom-made settings.) I've cleaned the printer heads, all that stuff, etc. I dont think its the printer because i'll take out a bad cartridge and the next one will be fine.

Anyone have any ideas what causes this? I would guess a dodgy cartridge which is what the printer companies always warn about in using the generic ones.

Any other ideas?

If the cartridge is refilled the wrong way around then the wrong colour ink goes in and mixes with original colour or a user has done that and sent the messed up cartridge in for refill. It is not worth the effort to flush out the mix.

In UK, a reliable company is
http://www.proprint.co.uk/index.htm

dutchboy
07-13-2008, 07:24 PM
I have a Canon color IP4300 printer. To buy the 5 new cartidges it would cost about 100.00 from the internet ink resellers.

Canon is selling the same model new for 89.99 plus free shipping and a free 14.99 laptop bag.

Amusing that I could buy a new printer for less than the cost of the 5 cartridges needed for the printer and get a free laptop bag.

karlskorner
07-13-2008, 08:37 PM
I think Wes gave you the address above, if not try www4inkjets.com or better yet just call them at 888-321-2552, very helpful. I checked 1/2 dozen places and there's was the best price. I buy 10 cartridges for my Brother's for $38 and change, since they consider me an old customer they pay the UPS charge. Sure beats filling your own and it's cheaper.

cmoore
07-27-2008, 04:35 PM
Everytime I print pps. This box comes up and reads toner cartridge low..Replace soon..The ink is at 10% or lower..It's been like that for over 2 months now..I don't think this cartridge will ever run out..LOL!!! Draft mode saves a ton of ink..

raybo
07-27-2008, 06:50 PM
Re fill kits working great for about 10 years or so, gotta watch a little when they want to dry up, print starts to fade, refill right away to correct.

I've used the same cartridge for years. Buy the ink by the quart.

Me too. I have used Canon inkjets for years, the cartridges don't have built in print heads. I buy ink by the pint and just keep refilling the same cartridge. I even put black ink in the color cartridges when the original ink runs out because I very rarely print anything in color.

The Canon I have now is a Pixma iP4300 and has a large black cartridge, and 4 smaller cartridges for printing in color, including another black ink cartridge. I've never had a Canon cartridge go bad on me, the printers wear out first. I print tons of full page text (3-4 pages per race), fully formatted with borders galore, bold type, etc..

Printing costs, for me, are very low. Most of my printing expenses are in the paper, not ink.

raybo
07-27-2008, 06:53 PM
I have a Canon color IP4300 printer. To buy the 5 new cartidges it would cost about 100.00 from the internet ink resellers.

Canon is selling the same model new for 89.99 plus free shipping and a free 14.99 laptop bag.

Amusing that I could buy a new printer for less than the cost of the 5 cartridges needed for the printer and get a free laptop bag.

See my post above. No need to buy new cartridges. They almost give away the printers in order to scalp you with cartridge purchases.

Pcon04
07-27-2008, 10:46 PM
does anyone use a color laser

are they worth the $$ and is the toner more expensive cuz they

sometimes need 2 or three in the printer..

thanks
Pcon04

cmoore
07-28-2008, 02:24 AM
does anyone use a color laser

are they worth the $$ and is the toner more expensive cuz they

sometimes need 2 or three in the printer..

thanks
Pcon04

I use the dell 3000 model color laser printer...I have the color turned off most off the time. I started to print my pp's in draft mode. The toner cartridges last very long. Four toner cartridges cost me 170 bucks from Dell. I'm sure they are cheaper some where else. It does have 4 toner cartridges. The black cartidges last about 6000 sheets, maybe more.

Pcon04
07-28-2008, 07:33 AM
Cmoore

thanks

pcon04

equicom
08-04-2008, 12:49 PM
Laser printers work by charging particles with a laser. That produces heat.

Normally not a problem, but I have had laser cartridges overheat and explode inside the printer, which is VERY messy!

Inkjet printers are actually worse if they leak.

If you can get the paper, there are thermal printers that work without ink or toner. These are what they use to print your ticket at the track.

They're pretty good. I got one for $15 from a CashConverters store. But you might not be so lucky and probably would have to pay a little bit more.

Haven't had a problem using cheap inkjet cartridges yet (don't get the "refill it yourself" version though, because they are messy and fiddly). They never live up to the claim on the box. If it says "prints 50% more than the real cartridge" it is probably not true. But they do work and they probably won't stuff up the printer. Even if it does stuff up the printer, most inkjet printers can be replaced for about 1/4 of the price they cost you when you bought them.

I do prefer laser to inkjet, but:

1. They stink... have plenty of ventilation
2. The toner powder is toxic... have PLENTY of ventilation
3. They give off ozone, which is toxic... have plenty of VENTILATON
4. If you get loose toner powder, don't inhale it, and rinse from skin ASAP
5. Don't print 1000 pages without a break, let the cartridge cool down

If you follow all the above, you shouldn't have too much of a problem, but the pages you print might still stink a bit for a while after you print them.

dutchboy
08-04-2008, 01:22 PM
There are a few companies starting to produce printers that use no ink and require a special paper. The cost per sheet of special paper is .20

Assume if they work in a few years we will no longer need ink.

skate
08-04-2008, 08:18 PM
Me too. I have used Canon inkjets for years, the cartridges don't have built in print heads. I buy ink by the pint and just keep refilling the same cartridge. I even put black ink in the color cartridges when the original ink runs out because I very rarely print anything in color.

The Canon I have now is a Pixma iP4300 and has a large black cartridge, and 4 smaller cartridges for printing in color, including another black ink cartridge. I've never had a Canon cartridge go bad on me, the printers wear out first. I print tons of full page text (3-4 pages per race), fully formatted with borders galore, bold type, etc..

Printing costs, for me, are very low. Most of my printing expenses are in the paper, not ink.

Absolutely, i put a figure on refilling and i think i save from $500/$1000 per year, saves a lot of hassle and you never run out.

I'm sure you know, but for those who had a problem, just Do Not let the ink run completely out.

Cartrage will last for years and years.