PDA

View Full Version : Big Brown - great pre-Haskell summary

GlenninOhio
07-03-2008, 04:50 AM
From Brisnet's James Scully's "Three Year Olds & Up Diary":

"Haskell Watch: Big Brown couldn't have been more impressive winning the Kentucky Derby (G1) and Preakness (G1), and the Kentucky-bred appeared to have his rivals over the barrel entering the 1 1/2-mile Belmont. He was the lone speed on paper in the nine-horse field and a front-running trip seemed assured given the rail post. Kent Desormeaux had other ideas and immediately yanked his mount's head back, in an attempt to rate and guide him to the outside, once the gates opened. He continued to fight the speedy colt to the first turn, and Big Brown eventually spit the bit in frustration. Just to make sure that he gave his final stamp to the ride, Desormeaux began to ease Big Brown down on the far turn, even though he was still in contention for a top four finish. Those who used Big Brown underneath in the exotics had to be thrilled.

With that fiasco behind them, Big Brown's connections will now point the bay colt to the Haskell Invitational (G1) at Monmouth Park on August 3. It's difficult to imagine a strong group of rivals showing up to face him, so it will be a huge step in determining whether the sophomore continues toward the Breeders' Cup. He can't afford a loss."

lamboguy
07-03-2008, 09:14 AM
i better save up some money and go all in on big brown in the haskell!

onefast99
07-03-2008, 10:42 AM
The fact that paul Pompa is a NJ resident and would like nothing more then to see MP have a huge day for the Haskell tells me that the owners of BB are all doing the right thing by putting him in this race. Good luck to him and his connections, it should be a fun day!

Javagold
07-03-2008, 05:09 PM
Heres hoping BB bolts on the 1st turn , just as Ladys Secret Did :jump:

46zilzal
07-03-2008, 06:24 PM
Heres hoping BB bolts on the 1st turn , just as Lady's Secret Did
That pitiful site was typical Lukas: squeeze the lemon dry then grind up the peel to assuage an ego.

Tom
07-03-2008, 10:37 PM
Big who??? :sleeping::sleeping::sleeping:

Tom Barrister
07-04-2008, 03:58 AM
Scully's opinion of the Belmont is very similar to my own. Loose shoe or no, Desormeaux gave the horse one of the most bone-headed rides of the year, in my opinion. I'm not sure where Scully got the idea that Big Brown was a speed horse.