PDA

View Full Version : Dutrow speaks, horse dies: The Dutrow Curse!

Living Flame
07-02-2008, 12:56 AM
It just keeps on going. Much sadder outcome this time around:

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/news/story?id=3468119

"Now, they wanted to talk about breakdowns," he continued. "Now everyone looks at me as I'm a drug kind of guy. If you're a drug kind of guy, you're going to go out there and watch your horses break down. I want anybody here to tell the last time they've seen one of my horses break down in the afternoon.

"You're not going to be able to find it because I'm safe, I'm sound. I protect my horses. I remember Lake Pontchartrain broke down in Boston eight or nine years ago and I can't remember another time one of my horses broke down in the afternoon and that has to count for something."

And from Bloodhorse...

Mr. Dutrow further endeared himself to racing fans this weekend by racing the five-year-old gelding Unrequited on Friday at Belmont to an unplaced finish then shipping him to Monmouth to run on Sunday and seeing the Jay Em Ess owned horse break down.
No hero here.

Seriously though, does anyone know what happened to Unrequited? I heard it's a "bad looking" hind leg injury.

My God,that man needs to shut the hell up before he causes Armageddon!!!:eek: :rolleyes: Stop jinxing horses!

Imriledup
07-02-2008, 10:10 AM
He raced a horse 2 days later at a different track?

:bang:

cj
07-02-2008, 10:23 AM
He raced a horse 2 days later at a different track?

:bang:

He has done that in the past many times.

ddog
07-02-2008, 10:34 AM
don't know anything of this specifically but lot of these owners are not saints.

I am sure though that the horse was fit and ready to run when shipped.

:lol:

DeanT
07-02-2008, 10:53 AM
He's one odd dude. Like he didn't think anyone would notice his former breakdowns?
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/columns/story?columnist=plonk_jeremy&id=3469773

"You're not going to be able to find it because I'm safe, I'm sound. I protect my horses. I remember Lake Pontchartrain broke down in Boston eight or nine years ago and I can't remember another time one of my horses broke down in the afternoon and that has to count for something."Truth is, a review of Dutrow's starters since Lake Pontchartrain shows that the trainer has had more than a half-dozen runners not finish races and be vanned off the racetrack during that span. Horses like East Coast Country, La Cat, Unreal Madness, Sejm Boogie, Speed Hunter and In All Honesty, to put warm faces to the cold statistics.

That's not a huge number at all when you consider the vast number of horses he's sent to the track, and actually goes a long way in defending his point  he's not a breakdown butcher  but it also points out that you had better be careful what you say during this negative and tenuous time. Suddenly, people care. Everyone is listening.

onefast99
07-02-2008, 10:53 AM
Several NY trainers do this move and have decent numbers doing it. No one likes to see a horse injured in a race and many seem to think that racing the horse back after 2 days contributed to this.

MaTH716
07-02-2008, 12:22 PM
The horse also had 3 works since the 13th of June. It just looked like he was trying to make the horse look sound. 3 (alledged) works, a race and then a 2nd race 2 days later all in a 2 week span. I guess he was trying to find a taker on a horse with holes in him, by bringing him back on a move that he is notorious for and at a different track. But the flip side is that if he would of won, everyone would be asking about the magic potion he has.

cj
07-02-2008, 12:50 PM
Isn't it also possible the horse was actually sound?

ddog
07-02-2008, 01:03 PM
yes, it's POSSIBLE, but .................

MaTH716
07-02-2008, 01:33 PM
Sure he could have been. Do you think all the recent activity (with the works and the race) was a bit excessive? Then to race him again 2 days later at another venue to boot. Like I stated before, I just feel all the activity was designed to make the horse look sound. Then he tried to run him at a different track to see if he could get someone there to take him. I didn't have a chance to the look at the conditon books, but you would have to think that there would be another spot to run in the very near future.

onefast99
07-02-2008, 07:00 PM
[QUOTE=Living Flame]It just keeps on going. Much sadder outcome this time around:

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/news/story?id=3468119

Seriously though, does anyone know what happened to Unrequited? I heard it's a "bad looking" hind leg injury.

One of the MP trainers told me he was euthanized.

jognlope
07-02-2008, 07:32 PM
Well he should run better without a nail boring into the soft tissue of his foot.

sally
07-03-2008, 10:53 AM
Several NY trainers do this move and have decent numbers doing it. .

Any idea what those numbers are onefast? When I see a horse coming back so soon I tend to think the horse will bounce... maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way.

onefast99
07-03-2008, 06:55 PM
Any idea what those numbers are onefast? When I see a horse coming back so soon I tend to think the horse will bounce... maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way.\
Contessa, Levine and Dutrow do this a lot during the Aqu inner track meet. I have no idea where to get the numbers, if you find out please post it.

jognlope
07-03-2008, 09:27 PM
http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/dutrow-quick-return-horse-euthanized/