PDA

View Full Version : Nine of the 13 horses that started the Grand National Hurdle failed to finish

kyle2227
07-01-2008, 10:21 PM
Not United States horse racing but very sad.

LAST Saturday's double jumps-horse fatalities capped a month of some of the most appalling images of animal suffering and death our culture has witnessed in recent times. Nine of the 13 horses that started the Grand National Hurdle at Flemington failed to finish.

In the $252,000 Grand National Hurdle, won by first-season jumper Derringer, only four of the 13 starters finished and the "field" had to be directed around the second last jump because of a fallen jockey being tended on the track.

Of the nine horses who failed to finish, two had to be euthanised and even the most ardent fans agreed it was a sad day for jumps racing.

There was nothing "Grand" or graceful about the falls or the two deaths, horses put down behind screens. I know that jumping races are some of the most dangerous (the article says jumps kill horses at around 20 times the rate of normal racing.)

I feel so bad for the horses and jockeys here very sad.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23949015-5000117,00.html

ddog
07-02-2008, 08:01 AM
yeah, just as on this side of the scummy pond, those animals have made it to their "comfort zone" , wasn't that the phrase used by one of our sainted trainers a while back?

I saw the clip, it looked like demolition derby , with animals instead of old chevys.

The wagering dollar at work.

These types of "incidents" as well as our own "tragedys" are not unexpected outcomes of this "game".

:ThmbDown: