PDA

View Full Version : Any opinion on "betting tool" concept in Quirin's "Handicapping by Example"

Bill Cullen
07-01-2008, 10:10 PM
Dr. Quirin had a passage in his book "Handicapping by Example" where he used a formula that he applied to a horse's Win-Place-Show record over the last two years of the horse's record. I think the formula was something like

2 times Wins minus (Places + Shows)

I think he said something like a value of negative 3 or lower was an indication of a horse that didn't like to win but that came in the money a lot. I think he referred to a horse at the opposite end of the spectrum with a value of plus 3 or higher as a potential "betting tool." If memory serves, the ROI he stated for 3+ horses was $1.99. I don't remember if he stated an impact value for +3 horses or not.

My interest is in the horses with a 3+ value from the perspective of a "betting tool." I always found the concept intriguing.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Bill C

mrroyboy
07-01-2008, 10:15 PM
I know people who bet harness races and use that method. They look for a +4 or better. Of course they use other handicapping as well. I guess the Quirin thing should be considered a plus factor.