PDA

View Full Version : Laid Off!

098poi
07-01-2008, 07:49 PM
Got my walking papers today. Not totally surprised. (I wasn't the only one laid off) I'll get a couple of months pay and should be able to get another job. It's a nice time of year to be unmotivated though. You know summer, sunshine and all that goes with it. Now if I can just hit a nice P4 or something!!!!!!!:)

PaceAdvantage
07-01-2008, 08:37 PM
Sorry to hear that. I was laid off once. It sucked....but then again, if you've got some money stashed away and you're fairly confident in your job hunting abilities, you're right, it could be a pretty nice little vacation for a bit....

ddog
07-01-2008, 08:40 PM
On the bright side, didn't Congress just extend unemployment benies and Bush will/is going to sign it?

So, take the rest of the year off.
There is plenty of time to work later.

There will be a job somewhere when you get back.
Good Luck.

:ThmbUp:

Dave Schwartz
07-01-2008, 08:40 PM
Sorry to hear that, Bob.

Check your PM.

so.cal.fan
07-01-2008, 08:49 PM
098POI
I'm sure you'll get a better job!
Best of luck to you.

098poi
07-01-2008, 09:08 PM
Thanks to all for the responses. I am sure I will be O.K.. I'll let you know when I get another job. Have to work on my golf swing first though!

wonatthewire1
07-01-2008, 09:11 PM
Thanks to all for the responses. I am sure I will be O.K.. I'll let you know when I get another job. Have to work on my golf swing first though!

check your PM - don't know where you're located but it might assist when you are ready

RaceBookJoe
07-01-2008, 09:47 PM
Got my walking papers today. Not totally surprised. (I wasn't the only one laid off) I'll get a couple of months pay and should be able to get another job. It's a nice time of year to be unmotivated though. You know summer, sunshine and all that goes with it. Now if I can just hit a nice P4 or something!!!!!!!:)

I mean this as a motivational compliment...but congratulations. Nice time of year, but dont be unmotivated like you say. Motivate yourself to learn a money-making skill ( i dont know what your field is ) and go to work for yourself so you dont have to be a 'slave' to a job. No one cares about you and your money more than you do, so do something huge about it. Use this time to reinvent and refocus yourself. Best wishes to your future and know that someone is out here rooting for you...even in 110 degree weather. rbj

pktruckdriver
07-01-2008, 11:02 PM
Best of Luck Bob. Relax and enjoy, then after all that ......

I got a nice used truck you can buy, heck only 850,000 miles on it, 3 new injectors, plus many other nice things done to it, real turn-key buisiness. Was asking 50k, for you 10k.

No, really enjoy your off time and good luck on your new job, which I'm sure will be a step up from the old one.

ElKabong
07-01-2008, 11:11 PM

Sorry to hear of your recent misfortune, but the market for jobs is quite good. FWIW, my advice is to look right now while things are hot--- or at least warm.

I turned down an offer in Ny (Long Island) at quite a pay hike over my current job, am pretty certain I can land something here that's comparable in pay & position. The market is the best I've seen in a good long while. Hit it while it's hot, 098, and best of luck to you!

bigmack
07-01-2008, 11:18 PM
I've seen it happen to many a cat.

Figure out a biz to start without much dough. I'll bet there's a couple of ideas you can muster. Work it like a banchie for a year. You'll have a ball doing it and in a years time you'll either be back where you started or have something that will last a long time and give you time to work on your golf swing while the biz churns.

Fight the power!

098poi
07-02-2008, 06:47 AM
Thanks again all. I will relax for a bit, regroup and get another job. I know there are a lot of people out here who have lost jobs recently who are being hit harder than I am. (I have no kids to support, live with relatives where I pay rent, and am employable.) I have had the same job (I do warranty field service fixing PC's and printers for Dell, Lexmark etc.) for over eight and a half years. My company was hurting before the economy slowed. Most people in the tech world switch jobs every couple of years. I can only be grateful.

jonnielu
07-02-2008, 07:58 AM
Thanks again all. I will relax for a bit, regroup and get another job. I know there are a lot of people out here who have lost jobs recently who are being hit harder than I am. (I have no kids to support, live with relatives where I pay rent, and am employable.) I have had the same job (I do warranty field service fixing PC's and printers for Dell, Lexmark etc.) for over eight and a half years. My company was hurting before the economy slowed. Most people in the tech world switch jobs every couple of years. I can only be grateful.

I am relatively shocked and amazed that no one here is suggesting that you jump all over this opportunity with great vigor to become a professional horseplayer. It is quite telling.

I would recommend it, especially for a young man such as yourself that has few burdens to shoulder. What a great opportunity you have to escape the total milking you face for the next thirty years with a job. You even now have a pre-view of what there is to look forward to that the fresh suckers coming out of school won't even know about for some time. You are, right now today, ahead of the game.

As opposed to a highly limited job, being a professional horseplayer is only limited by your ability to think, in order to develop your skills for analysis, patience, and betting conservatism.

I would suggest, at the least, that you make careful consideration of the options in the coming weeks, as you get further trapped by the herdsman of our society, the opportunities for going over the wall become fewer and fewer.

Look up Chuck Berndt, he is in the 516 area code. Ask him if you can meet with him at Saratoga this year and be his student. That is a job that you can get, and should grab, because it is only limited by you.

jdl

Tom
07-02-2008, 08:03 AM
This can be very traumatic.....keep your spirits up.
I lost my job of 33 years in February of 06. Got a new one by September, albiet a contract job, but it kept cash flowing and my self esteem up until I found a full time one in November.

There are jobs out there for those willing to work.

Best of luck.

ddog
07-02-2008, 08:06 AM
There won't be racing on any scope in 20 years.
It will be taxed and/or managed out of existence.

If you want to do something that involves speculation study commodity and or equity investing, or go into real-estate.

With long money there are opportunities in many areas now.

Very few people have what it takes to make a GOOD living at this game.

Your odds are much better at other gambles.
imo

JBmadera
07-02-2008, 08:10 AM

Sorry to hear that. It's tough in Hi Tech right now. I lost my job 1.5yrs ago when IBM bought the s/w co I worked for, got lucky and went back to a s/w I worked for prior to that, now we've been aquired by a large euro tech co and folks are dropping like flies. I was surprised when the annoucements went out yesterday about the latest round of layoffs that I wasn't on the list but the day will come soon.....putting as many $$$ into the wagering fund as I can since the college fund for my kid was just topped off....worst case, I can live in my car and get one of those at&t mobile broadband cards for my pc so I can stay connected to brisnet/twinspires tv......:jump: