PDA

View Full Version : ISM up again

skate
07-01-2008, 06:02 PM
Just another chapter to my 2008 recession.:D

PaceAdvantage
07-01-2008, 06:26 PM
Yes, don't you know, we are entering month #10 of our recession (according to one report I read, which stated this 'recession' started in October 2007).

When will the key stats ever catch up to reality? The next thing you know, GDP for Q2 2008 will be approaching 2%.....THEN WHAT?

skate
07-02-2008, 12:53 PM
It's getting very funny and are people really sucking this up or what?

That ism is (seems to me) precise when pointing to an uptick in business.

ddog
07-02-2008, 01:12 PM
Yes, don't you know, we are entering month #10 of our recession (according to one report I read, which stated this 'recession' started in October 2007).

When will the key stats ever catch up to reality? The next thing you know, GDP for Q2 2008 will be approaching 2%.....THEN WHAT?

Now upfront I don't know or care to your trading positions, but it could be a little hard to carry more weight on this macro subject than this guy.

Yes, he could be wrong, but we will see,maybe.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=aAZwgRY7yikM

skate
07-02-2008, 02:17 PM
Now upfront I don't know or care to your trading positions, but it could be a little hard to carry more weight on this macro subject than this guy.

Yes, he could be wrong, but we will see,maybe.

Does he mention the resent Recession 2000/2001?

Also. does he point out the increase in GDP from '93 till 2000 was 2,748 trillion?

And the increase in GDP (a measure of strength) from 2000 till 2009 will be $5291 Trillion.

Increase only:cool:

JBmadera
07-02-2008, 02:37 PM
wish i had paid more attention to my econometrics courses in college.....concerning ism and recession:

The ISM Manufacturing Index has a 67% correlation with year-on-year growth in GDP over the past 17 years. Given the [fourth-quarter] average of 49.8% (its lowest level since [the second quarter of] 2003), the ISM Manufacturing Index indicates much slower GDP growth in the fourth quarter than we had in [the second and third quarters]. –Steven A. Wood, Insight Economics Jan 8, 2008

skate
07-02-2008, 02:59 PM
wish i had paid more attention to my econometrics courses in college.....concerning ism and recession:

The ISM Manufacturing Index has a 67% correlation with year-on-year growth in GDP over the past 17 years. Given the [fourth-quarter] average of 49.8% (its lowest level since [the second quarter of] 2003), the ISM Manufacturing Index indicates much slower GDP growth in the fourth quarter than we had in [the second and third quarters]. –Steven A. Wood, Insight Economics Jan 8, 2008

Good point, that's what had some people uneasy.
Now it looks like it's up over the 50 mark again. From what i can tell, over 50 is growth.

With GDP being at the highest levil ever, we should see a nice flow in the increase.

JBmadera
07-02-2008, 03:08 PM
bingo!

Valuist
07-02-2008, 09:27 PM
Does he mention the resent Recession 2000/2001?

Also. does he point out the increase in GDP from '93 till 2000 was 2,748 trillion?

And the increase in GDP (a measure of strength) from 2000 till 2009 will be $5291 Trillion.

Increase only:cool:

The recent recession of 2000-2002 will likely be milder than this. That was confined largely to the technology sector. This one started in homebuilders and later financials but has spread to all areas involving the consumer. The current slowdown/recession (or whatever you want to call the current awful economic state) has extended far beyond Silicon Valley.

JBmadera
07-03-2008, 10:02 AM
oops: Non Manf ISM down to 48.2.......we're in for an interesting summer.

WeirdWilly
07-03-2008, 12:48 PM

So the recession is all make believe!

Now, does anyone know anyone who is hiring? I am making about $20-$30 a day profit driving cab. My local McDonald's is not hiring - they already have a stack of applications. I am going to try Little Ceasar's and Quiznos subs today. School's out though, so I don't expect much before late August to September.

So, since Michigan's economy is HORRID right now, if there is no recession, I am assuming some part of the country is kicking a$$ and getting paid. Where is it? I need to move ASAP!

ddog
07-03-2008, 01:25 PM
I think the kick ass and take names may require a move to Iraq.
Plenty of high-risk high-reward jobs over there.

:eek:

WeirdWilly
07-03-2008, 02:10 PM
I think the kick ass and take names may require a move to Iraq.
Plenty of high-risk high-reward jobs over there.

:eek:

I would be open to it. Can't be as dangerous as driving an ice cream truck through the streets of Pontiac. I was only robbed once - a "Bomb Pop" snatch and run, but I was repeatedly threatened in the 2 months I did it. High risk, low reward.

I have a bad back (herniated disk) and a suspect ticker. Does ANYONE know anyone hiring despite these physical challenges? Seriously, I'm up for a bit of adventure, and I'm desperate for anything that pays MORE than daily survival expense. Where I am financially at in life right now sucks beyond comprehension.

46zilzal
07-03-2008, 02:24 PM
Come up to Hastings: we need a back tower cameraman for the summer and possibly all winter at the harness races. An interesting job if you don't mind heights.

Tom
07-03-2008, 02:34 PM
My friend's father used to limb up into a high tower at Finger Lakes years ago.
I mean Waaaaaaaay up a ladder!!

I asked him once how he climbed up that shaky thing everyday and he replied, "Don't look down, drink heavily!"

He was up there once when a thunderstorm hit out of the blue, lightening everywhere. He came down that ladder about every ninth rung!

ddog
07-03-2008, 03:00 PM
I would be open to it. Can't be as dangerous as driving an ice cream truck through the streets of Pontiac. I was only robbed once - a "Bomb Pop" snatch and run, but I was repeatedly threatened in the 2 months I did it. High risk, low reward.

I have a bad back (herniated disk) and a suspect ticker. Does ANYONE know anyone hiring despite these physical challenges? Seriously, I'm up for a bit of adventure, and I'm desperate for anything that pays MORE than daily survival expense. Where I am financially at in life right now sucks beyond comprehension.

Hey, I am sure that "POP"sicle gig was the perfect training for Iraq.
You are qualified on that alone.
Only way I would have taken that gig is if I could have never sounded the bell, just kind of raced through town.

Hope something turns up.
Maybe some small package type delivery for the small type QuickDelivery that kind of outfit? Max 10 pounds type of package?

Some type of call center/dispatch deal???
I don't know too much about the jobs up there only that it's bad.

Do you have any tech/windows/call center support type background?

WeirdWilly
07-03-2008, 03:19 PM
Hey, I am sure that "POP"sicle gig was the perfect training for Iraq.
You are qualified on that alone.
Only way I would have taken that gig is if I could have never sounded the bell, just kind of raced through town.

Hope something turns up.
Maybe some small package type delivery for the small type QuickDelivery that kind of outfit? Max 10 pounds type of package?

Some type of call center/dispatch deal???
I don't know too much about the jobs up there only that it's bad.

Do you have any tech/windows/call center support type background?

Well, if you don't ring the bell and drive slow, you won't make any money. The reality is, the best paying areas for ice cream trucks is "the hood". Nice neighborhoods - the houses are too far apart, and people load up at the grocery store or Costco.

In the hood, the drug dealers throw their kids and lookouts money to keep them happy.

As for my experience, I was heavy in the computer field in the 80s and 90s. I was senior network technician for one of the state's largest school districts. Then my dad had a stroke in 2000, and I took care of him for four years. So now there is a big fat gap in my resume. People admire what I did, but they still end up going for the more qualified candidate.

Now all the IT and engineering jobs in the area are filled by people from India. Don't EVEN get me started about how I would much prefer Arabs over Hindus. On my cab job, most of the Arabs are decent and respectful, while the Hindus have their caste system on full display. Not universal, but widespread - especially among the recent arrivals.

WeirdWilly
07-03-2008, 05:53 PM
Come up to Hastings: we need a back tower cameraman for the summer and possibly all winter at the harness races. An interesting job if you don't mind heights.

How much does it pay? And where's the cheapest place to stay?

Would they pay my bus fare to get there?

Heights are fun. I used to climb trees all the time as a kid. And the rare time I get to fly, you can't tear me away from the window.

If that offer is at all serious - PM me! I am game!

skate
07-03-2008, 10:06 PM
So the recession is all make believe!

Now, does anyone know anyone who is hiring? I am making about $20-$30 a day profit driving cab. My local McDonald's is not hiring - they already have a stack of applications. I am going to try Little Ceasar's and Quiznos subs today. School's out though, so I don't expect much before late August to September.

Ya, Mich is not the best place for everything right now.
But, a ton of hiring going on, commodities are in need, try Monsanto, it's actually a strong economy, consider we pay so much for the big increase in Fuel etc., from other countries and we still are in the plus mode for GDP.

People just change habits. Instead of taking vacation in UK or FL ect. they stay closer to home and the close to home Hotels make a killing.
Instead of buying 10# of Ham, people try Spam. Spam man is allowed to make some money, after our too hot economy.

Houses are not selling as before, but Apts are running scarce ect ect ...

Hey, don't forget COAL and Uranium ect ect ...:ThmbUp:

ddog
07-03-2008, 10:25 PM
How much does it pay? And where's the cheapest place to stay?

Would they pay my bus fare to get there?

Heights are fun. I used to climb trees all the time as a kid. And the rare time I get to fly, you can't tear me away from the window.

If that offer is at all serious - PM me! I am game!

I am serious, if you can get the gig, I will pay your bus fare to get there.

Really!