PDA

View Full Version : Mandatory 4 day work week

JustRalph
07-01-2008, 09:39 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-06-30-four-day_N.htm

Is this going to be the new work week for most people?

I used to work 4 ten hour days and loved it.

How many people might drive more on their days off?

Tom
07-01-2008, 10:07 AM
I worked 4 10's last July/August and loved it.
With gas nearing a kazzilion bucks a gallon,I'd do it again.

delayjf
07-01-2008, 10:22 AM
I'm down with it.

ddog
07-01-2008, 10:25 AM
people still have jobs?

I didn't know that.
I worked 4 days a month back in the 90s, it was terrible, I don't recommend it.

:lol:

DJofSD
07-01-2008, 10:29 AM
A longer work day does not fit into a family's schedule. If you have a traditional 1950's style family where mom is at home all day, it'll work. However, if both parents work then those two additional hours can really cause havoc. This is not even considering after school activities or single parent households.

I've been fortunate enough to work for companies and managers that allow flex-time. As a salaried employee, I expect to have some flexibility and as a responsible employee, I know I have to get the job done. Giving me the options to flex my schedules to balance the demands of both work and home life really does help.

I doubt this will happen in California where recent court rulings are just now beginning to play havoc with employees. Primarily what I have in mind is overtime. Exempt status up until recently was pretty much however the company defined it to be. But now in California the courts have pretty much determined that companies are not to be trusted and lawsuits for monies owed to employees under the new, retroactive definitions of exempt status are flying. The companies that have lost the cases are having to shell out money and are redefining exempt status. Having to change a standard work week to 4 by 10 will not be tolerated. Jobs will leave the state.

46zilzal
07-01-2008, 12:46 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-06-30-four-day_N.htm

Is this going to be the new work week for most people?

I used to work 4 ten hour days and loved it.

How many people might drive more on their days off?
Cush job: try 7 days per week for over 25 years..

witchdoctor
07-01-2008, 05:26 PM
Cush job: try 7 days per week for over 25 years..

Finally something you and I can agree about. Fortunately, I usually only have to work half days (12 hours).

Snag
07-01-2008, 06:30 PM
I'm waiting for the union's to have a say on this subject. A 10 hr/4 day schedule plays hell with shift work schedules.

cmoore
07-01-2008, 06:46 PM
I work 14 twelve hour days in a 28 day period. I never work more then 3 days in a row..During those three 12 hour days, which is every other weekend. I take 6 hours vacation on Saturdays. I haven't worked a full weekend yet this year. It feels like I'm part time but actually I average 44 straight hours a week. I go to work 6 less days then a traditional 40 hour worker would and make ten percent more. I also save at least a tank of gas by working 6 less days.

Steve 'StatMan'
07-01-2008, 07:29 PM
The company I work for is switching to a 5 day work week from 6. I work from home and still have the flexibility of when I do my work, but our print and delievery days are fewer. It'll reduce the cost of the delivery driving our racing newspapers and track programs all over Chicagoland, and our distribution costs in our other markets as well. Makes sense finanicially. Plus, after 8 years without a vacation and normally only 1 day a week off except a rare easter/chrismas 2-day break, getting two days off each week, even if they aren't consecutive, sure is a refreshing relief. Really glad I work from home and submit all my work by email, so personal driving costs aren't a major cost factor in my life - but it sure affects everything we all buy, and the services our communities can provide.

JustRalph
07-02-2008, 12:05 AM
I work 14 twelve hour days in a 28 day period. I never work more then 3 days in a row..During those three 12 hour days, which is every other weekend. I take 6 hours vacation on Saturdays. I haven't worked a full weekend yet this year. It feels like I'm part time but actually I average 44 straight hours a week. I go to work 6 less days then a traditional 40 hour worker would and make ten percent more. I also save at least a tank of gas by working 6 less days.

Fireman or Nurse?

cmoore
07-02-2008, 12:50 AM
Fireman or Nurse?

Neither...

riskman
07-02-2008, 02:14 AM
The argument about people spending the extra time off driving around will have second thoughts once gas hits $5 a gallon.

Interesting article on this subject.--
http://www.groovygreen.com/groove/?p=2223