PDA

View Full Version : TVG and Del Mar

NoCal Boy
06-30-2008, 07:28 PM
Maybe I am way off base, but this is how I see it right now with TVG and Del Mar, and by extension, the ADW issues in the industry.

The "California experiment" whereby the 4 licensed ADW's in CA (namely TVG, Youbet, Twinspires and XressBet) received all signals in CA and paid a fee to either HRTV or TVG depending on who broadcast the races, was a success. TVG's contention that handle did not necessarily grow more than it had in prior years is fairly accurate, but the economy and industry in general were significantly different in late 2007 through mid 2008 than in 2006 so it is really a meaningless statistic. I also believe the executives at TVG are not financially deficient and they fully realize the CA Experiment was a success. However, with the industry in turmoil, I believe TVG now has the opportunity to capitalize on obtaining non-CA signals that Tracknet has refused to open up to TVG and Youbet.

TVG controls the signals to the Del Mar, Oak Tree, Fairplex and Hollywood Park Fall meets. These are the remaining meets in SoCal for 2008. If TVG keeps these exclusive signals to themselves and Youbet (under an existing sub-licensing agreement), TVG and Youbet will have a decided advantage in California, a huge ADW market. Given the lack of significant Tracknet ADW content outside of CA due to the actions of the THG, incentive for CA residents to stay with Twinspires or XpressBet will decrease, perhaps significantly. TVG and Youbet will offer CA residents the SoCal tracks plus nearly everything out of state that Tracknet's ADWs offer to CA residents, plus Keeneland fall meet as an exclusive.

That being said, I do not believe TVG wants to follow the foregoing strategy as its ultimate end game. It is a fallback position. I believe TVG wants to pressure Tracknet into opening up Tracknet's non-CA signals to all ADW's at a fair price. Up to now, Tracknet has effectively shut out TVG and Youbet from its non-CA content by pricing it too high or refusing to offer it at all. The Florida horsemen wanted to give Youbet its Gulfstream signal and Tracknet said no in the end and we know the resulting handle declines at GP this winter.

The industry has finally caught up with Tracknet talking out of both sides of its mouth on exclusivity. The THG has undoubtedly taken an extreme position by demanding 1/3 of the gross in addition to the sensible opening up of signals, but there is context for their actions. Tracknet has shown no propensity for opening up its non-CA signals, and now TVG has the ability to do the same with its premium CA content. I still believe if all signals were open, the THG would come off of the 1/3 of gross. But neither TVG nor Tracknet has done anything to warrant it...yet.

Maybe I am simply whistling into space, but I believe that if Tracknet agreed to open up its non-CA content as well at a fair price, that TVG would not only agree to extend the CA experiment, but would also open up its remaining non-CA content (e.g. Turfway, Turf Paradise and Keeneland). TVG has the heavy stick right now given its CA content and Keeneland content for the rest of 2008. If Tracknet is not willing to play ball, then TVG might as well keep the signals exclusive for the remainder of 2008.

The THG impasse will not last forever. It will end, very likely by fall, as it makes no economic sense for it to continue on all sides. In the end, people respond to economics and are more or less forced to agree to some form of compromise solution. Tracknet, and by extension CDI, is in a precarious situation. Industry eyes are on them. TVG and Youbet and others are surely no angels and want to make every cent they can possibly generate from handles, and TVG might have been more of a thorn in the past than Tracknet is now, but that is the past and we live in the present looking to the future. TVG is undertaking a power play in my opinion with Del Mar and its SoCal signals. They want Tracknet content outside of CA in exchange for the CA TVG content. Tracknet and CDI overplayed their hand and now is the time to see if they really want to open up signals at a fair price to benefit the industry at large. If they do not bite, then the SoCal signals likely will stay exclusive to TVG (and Youbet by agreement) in the large ADW market of CA.

My guess is we will see more than the CA experiment being extended if indeed it does get extended. What incentive does TVG have to keep the status quo with Tracknet by extending the Ca experiment? It all comes down to that question and how it gets resolved by all parties involved.

Indulto
06-30-2008, 08:50 PM
NCB,
I agree that TVG is trying to pressure DragNet to end non-CA exclusivity, but whether TVG or DragNet is the bad guy is now chicken vs egg. Once TVG's exclusive contracts are up, they will have to sell themselves to the tracks that don't have their own ADW to survive as an entity, but not necessarily as a profit center.

If TOC/THG tries to force TVG to cave by withholding CA signals without having settled in FL and KY, then IMO they will a) be inviting a change to the IHA, b) be more obviously guilty of selective ADW discrimination, and/or c) hitting an own-foot-shooting bullseye in purse levels.

By not caving, THG could a) increase its short-term profits, b) increase it's customer base which will drive up its purchase price, and c) weaken horsemen for future negotiations.

bigmack
06-30-2008, 10:21 PM
What incentive does TVG have to keep the status quo with Tracknet by extending the Ca experiment? It all comes down to that question and how it gets resolved by all parties involved.
What a well-informed, insightful post concerning this odd wagering cul de sac.

I learned more from your post than 50 news release articles I've read.

Muchos thankos.

startngate
07-01-2008, 09:50 AM
TVG controls the signals to the Del Mar, Oak Tree, Fairplex and Hollywood Park Fall meets. These are the remaining meets in SoCal for 2008. If TVG keeps these exclusive signals to themselves and Youbet (under an existing sub-licensing agreement), TVG and Youbet will have a decided advantage in California, a huge ADW market. Given the lack of significant Tracknet ADW content outside of CA due to the actions of the THG, incentive for CA residents to stay with Twinspires or XpressBet will decrease, perhaps significantly. TVG and Youbet will offer CA residents the SoCal tracks plus nearly everything out of state that Tracknet's ADWs offer to CA residents, plus Keeneland fall meet as an exclusive.Which is exactly why TVG doesn't want to play ball now ... it got the good signals this winter, so now TVG is saying "screw the customers, and lets go back to exclusivity because it benefits us."
That being said, I do not believe TVG wants to follow the foregoing strategy as its ultimate end game. It is a fallback position. I believe TVG wants to pressure Tracknet into opening up Tracknet's non-CA signals to all ADW's at a fair price. Up to now, Tracknet has effectively shut out TVG and Youbet from its non-CA content by pricing it too high or refusing to offer it at all. Revisionist history ... TrackNet has been saying all along that it would give everyone its signals if TwinSpires and XpressBet had access to all signals too. TVG is the one holding this up, and its recent action in California proves it. TVG must have received the signals at an acceptable price during the experiment, but now that its signals are better ... well, the experiment was a bust.
The industry has finally caught up with Tracknet talking out of both sides of its mouth on exclusivity. The THG has undoubtedly taken an extreme position by demanding 1/3 of the gross in addition to the sensible opening up of signals, but there is context for their actions. Tracknet has shown no propensity for opening up its non-CA signals, and now TVG has the ability to do the same with its premium CA content. I still believe if all signals were open, the THG would come off of the 1/3 of gross. But neither TVG nor Tracknet has done anything to warrant it...yet. Again, TrackNet has said it will open up signals if it has access to everything too. Why do some people want to make TVG out to be saints in this fight when it has been playing the "withhold signal" game for a lot longer than TrackNet? I just don't see the logic. Both sides are customer unfriendly for doing it, but remember which side has been doing it longer.
Maybe I am simply whistling into space, but I believe that if Tracknet agreed to open up its non-CA content as well at a fair price, that TVG would not only agree to extend the CA experiment, but would also open up its remaining non-CA content (e.g. Turfway, Turf Paradise and Keeneland). TVG has the heavy stick right now given its CA content and Keeneland content for the rest of 2008. If Tracknet is not willing to play ball, then TVG might as well keep the signals exclusive for the remainder of 2008.You are. Did TVG give up its non-California content during the experiment? Of course not. And now you want TrackNet to do it because you think that's the key to getting the experiment to continue? This doesn't make any sense.

TrackNet has also said publicly that it is all for swapping signals at fair prices. TVG has refused up to this point, as it thinks its signals are worth more. TVG hasn't changed its atitude since it was just Magna withholding signals back in 2005. Do you have any evidence that TVG has said it wanted to do a deal to swap signals at fair prices? I have seen no published reports indicating that, but plenty indicating TrackNet wants all signals to be open to everyone.
The THG impasse will not last forever. It will end, very likely by fall, as it makes no economic sense for it to continue on all sides. In the end, people respond to economics and are more or less forced to agree to some form of compromise solution. Tracknet, and by extension CDI, is in a precarious situation. Industry eyes are on them. TVG and Youbet and others are surely no angels and want to make every cent they can possibly generate from handles, and TVG might have been more of a thorn in the past than Tracknet is now, but that is the past and we live in the present looking to the future. Finally, something we can agree on. The THG power play is going to blow up on them at some point, probably before the end of the year.

IMO though TVG and YouBet are in a more precarious position. Both are struggling companies, and TVG's parent just got bought by a company that appears to want to sell them off. Also, neither of them own a track, which doesn't help them in this situation either. TVG's exclusive partners can always opt to not renew the exclusives, so there is a better chance that they will lose the battle over content in the long term. Personally, I think TVG and YouBet will either get bought by racetracks, or will merge themselves together. I don't think both can survive on their own separately.
TVG is undertaking a power play in my opinion with Del Mar and its SoCal signals. They want Tracknet content outside of CA in exchange for the CA TVG content. Yes, they are trying a power play, and it's showing everyone's true colors. TrackNet wants to keep the experiment going after they stepped up and did it for the signals they controlled. And now TVG wants to take their ball and go home.

rrbauer
07-01-2008, 03:11 PM
TVG is doing what they've been doing from the get-go minus the "everybody into the pools" experiment that is about to expire. Why should they do otherwise? They have a business advantage. They should leverage it for all it's worth. You don't think TVG cares about YOU? Who in this business cares about YOU (meaning horseplayers)? Think you deserve some recognition for your patronage? GET IN LINE!

The CHRB speaks through both sides of its mouth on this issue (as has been the case from ADW day one). All they had to do was require non-exclusivity of the mutuel pools; and, tell the TOC to back-off from being such pricks about which ADW's they would approve once they met the CA law's criteria. There would've been real competition and better opportunities for horseplayers to be rewarded for their patronage.

I don't have an account with TVG because of where I live (but, Youbet says I"m OK--go figure) and I wouldn't have TVG anyway because of their asinine 25-cents per bet charge. TVG's operation is under a microscope these days from a cost-containment perspective so whatever they can do to enhance their revenue they are going to do it...which means standby for a big dose of TVG in CA between now and December 26.

rrbauer
07-01-2008, 03:22 PM
From the horse's mouth:

PLEASANTON , CA – With a very popular and successful account wagering experiment scheduled to end July 13, the California Horse Racing Board has authorized Chairman Richard B. Shapiro and Vice Chairman John Harris to meet with the racetracks, horsemen, and the four licensed Advance Deposit Wagering companies in an effort to have the experiment continue for the balance of this year’s racing calendar.

Testimony at the monthly CHRB meeting Friday was unanimously in support of continuing to allow all ADW accountholders to wager on all California races regardless of whether they use XpressBet, TVG, YouBet, or TwinSpires. Many speakers cited strong sentiment from fans for continuing to offer open wagering.

Furthermore, the wagering data since the experiment began November 7 shows increases in all ADW categories. Average daily ADW wagering within California was up 8 percent for all venues over the last seven months, and average out-of-state ADW wagering on California races increased 10 percent. Average daily ADW handle jumped 48 percent during the Santa Anita meet.

TVG has exclusive agreements for the upcoming meets at Del Mar, Fairplex, and Oak Tree that would need to be waived in order for other ADW companies to accept wagers on those races, so TVG’s support for a continuation of the experiment beyond the close of the Hollywood Park meet is essential. John Hindman, general counsel for TVG, said his company is willing to continue the experiment under certain conditions.

“TVG supports continuation of the experiment based on a fair exchange of ADW rights,” Hindman read from a PowerPoint presentation. He said TVG would continue exchanging wagering content “at fair prices.”

Chairman Shapiro and Vice Chairman Harris will arrange a meeting with the stakeholders during the week of July 7 to try to facilitate an agreement. “Everyone wants open wagering to continue. The key will be trying to find the combination that will enable that to happen,” the chairman explained afterwards. “We owe it to our fans to make this happen. They should come first. And given the success of open wagering so far, I can’t see any reason why it shouldn’t continue.”

Ron Charles, president of Santa Anita, said it’s a “no-brainer” to continue the experiment. “The fans are behind it 100 percent.”

The Thoroughbred Owners of California adamantly supports continuing the experiment, as they foresee increases in purses and track commissions from open wagering. “We believe the continuation of the experiment would serve the interests of everyone, including ADW providers,” said TOC President Drew Couto.

Couto advised that if the ADW experiment does not continue past July 13, the TOC will require each ADW company to negotiate terms of an individual agreement with the TOC, through the Thoroughbred Horsemen’s Group (THG), in return for the required horsemen’s consent for out-of-state ADW wagering on California races. Couto also clarified the TOC’s relationship with THG, an organization that has been negotiating with racetracks and simulcast marketing companies on behalf of horsemen in other states. “THG is our broker agent,” explained Couto. “Authority over California account wagering rights will continue to reside with California owners through the TOC.”

In other business, Hollywood Park President Jack Liebau said the Inglewood facility would continue operating at least through the 2009 spring-summer meet, provided the CHRB allocates those historic dates to Hollywood Park . The commitment was outlined in a progress report from the industry to the Board indicating the status of planning and negotiations for training and racing over the next two years. Hollywood Park also has agreed to give at least six-months notice, should they decide to cease operations following that spring-summer meet. The owner of Hollywood Park is in the process of acquiring entitlements for the development of the Inglewood property into residential and/or commercial uses.

As envisioned by the industry, Fairplex Park will be expanded into a major year-round training facility, provided that adequate financing and business arrangements can be put into place. The Board was assured that the industry’s full plan for training and racing in Southern California will be completed before the Board considers the 2009 racing calendar in September or October.

Liebau, who is also the president of Bay Meadows, said racing would end at the San Mateo property with the conclusion of the San Mateo County Fair meet on August 18, but it is unclear how long training might continue this year “to accommodate horsemen.” The owner of Bay Meadows has obtained all of the required permits to begin converting the property for other uses on September 1.

The industry submitted a draft calendar to the Board for 2009 racing in Northern California . The proposal shifts most of the dates vacated by Bay Meadows over to Golden Gate Fields, to be run either by MEC, which is the owner of Golden Gate , and/or the Alameda County Fair, which would lease the facility from MEC. The Alameda County Fair would run its races at Golden Gate during development of the Pleasanton racing complex into a year-round training facility. The industry is continuing to work out the details of the summer fair racing circuit for Northern California .

Two agenda items pertaining to a proposed 1-percent increase in the takeout for wagering on fair races were withdrawn from consideration. However, the Board recognized that it is critically important that additional funding be found that will facilitate contemplated improvements at both Fairplex and the Alameda County Fair to allow for expanded stabling and racing at those facilities.

Vice Chairman Harris expressed concerns that a comprehensive plan was needed for improvements at the fair facilities, and the fans should not be solely burdened by an increase in takeout, having previously indicated, “If something isn’t selling well, raising the price is not the answer.”

The Board approved for 45-day public notice a proposed rule to require the use of safety reins in racing and training in California . Safety reins contain an internal back-up cord connected to the bit, so that if the traditional outer reins break, the jockey or driver can still maintain control of the horse. Safety reins are strongly endorsed by the Jockeys’ Guild, which helped draft legislation that became Section 19504 of the Horse Racing Law requiring the Board to require the use of safety reins if the Board determines they would provide jockeys and exercise riders greater protection from accidents and injuries than conventional reins.

The Board approved the license application for the California Exposition and State Fair to conduct a mixed-breed meet from August 7 through September 1, marking the return of traditional summer fair racing to Sacramento for the first time since 2004. Harness meets have been run in recent summers at Cal Expo. Harness racing is currently being run at Cal Expo, through August 2, and will return September 12 following the fair meet.

“We’re back in business,” said David Elliot, assistant general manager at Cal Expo. “We’re doing a lot of work and spending a lot of money getting the racetrack as safe as possible for thoroughbred (and mixed breed) racing this summer.”

Vice Chairman Harris complemented Cal Expo for returning to the mixed-breed meet and described it as a very sound decision. He had opposed the move to an all-harness season from the onset.

The Cal Expo racing schedule includes two entire programs on Friday, August 22, with the first program scheduled to begin at 1:15 p.m. and the second at 5:45 p.m.

The Board approved the license application for the Humboldt County Fair to conduct a mixed-breed meet in Ferndale from August 7 through August 17. Both Chairman Shapiro and Vice Chairman Harris commented that going forward, the Board and industry should consider eliminating some of the overlapped dates that Ferndale historically has run with other racetracks.

The Board authorized the Oak Tree Charitable Foundation to distribute $78,213 in race-day charity proceeds to 21 beneficiaries.

horses721
07-04-2008, 10:03 AM
Which is exactly why TVG doesn't want to play ball now ... it got the good signals this winter, so now TVG is saying "screw the customers, and lets go back to exclusivity because it benefits us."
Revisionist history ... TrackNet has been saying all along that it would give everyone its signals if TwinSpires and XpressBet had access to all signals too. TVG is the one holding this up, and its recent action in California proves it. TVG must have received the signals at an acceptable price during the experiment, but now that its signals are better ... well, the experiment was a bust.
Again, TrackNet has said it will open up signals if it has access to everything too. Why do some people want to make TVG out to be saints in this fight when it has been playing the "withhold signal" game for a lot longer than TrackNet? I just don't see the logic. Both sides are customer unfriendly for doing it, but remember which side has been doing it longer.
You are. Did TVG give up its non-California content during the experiment? Of course not. And now you want TrackNet to do it because you think that's the key to getting the experiment to continue? This doesn't make any sense.

TrackNet has also said publicly that it is all for swapping signals at fair prices. TVG has refused up to this point, as it thinks its signals are worth more. TVG hasn't changed its atitude since it was just Magna withholding signals back in 2005. Do you have any evidence that TVG has said it wanted to do a deal to swap signals at fair prices? I have seen no published reports indicating that, but plenty indicating TrackNet wants all signals to be open to everyone.
Finally, something we can agree on. The THG power play is going to blow up on them at some point, probably before the end of the year.

IMO though TVG and YouBet are in a more precarious position. Both are struggling companies, and TVG's parent just got bought by a company that appears to want to sell them off. Also, neither of them own a track, which doesn't help them in this situation either. TVG's exclusive partners can always opt to not renew the exclusives, so there is a better chance that they will lose the battle over content in the long term. Personally, I think TVG and YouBet will either get bought by racetracks, or will merge themselves together. I don't think both can survive on their own separately.
Yes, they are trying a power play, and it's showing everyone's true colors. TrackNet wants to keep the experiment going after they stepped up and did it for the signals they controlled. And now TVG wants to take their ball and go home.

AMEN
TVG started the exclusivity mess when the valuable New York and Keeneland racing signals were withheld from tracknet. Tracknet responded by witholding the signals they owned so now the TVG people do nothing but cry and blame tracknet for the mess TVG started.

rrbauer
07-04-2008, 12:07 PM
Meant to highlight this when the initial press release was posted:

Two agenda items pertaining to a proposed 1-percent increase in the takeout for wagering on fair races were withdrawn from consideration. However, the Board recognized that it is critically important that additional funding be found that will facilitate contemplated improvements at both Fairplex and the Alameda County Fair to allow for expanded stabling and racing at those facilities.

Vice Chairman Harris expressed concerns that a comprehensive plan was needed for improvements at the fair facilities, and the fans should not be solely burdened by an increase in takeout, having previously indicated, “If something isn’t selling well, raising the price is not the answer.”

That's encouraging....I figured it would get the rubber-stamp-approval treatment.

BillW
07-04-2008, 12:13 PM

That's encouraging....I figured it would get the rubber-stamp-approval treatment.

A highlighted highlight ;)

cj
07-04-2008, 12:13 PM

I am in complete shock!

trigger
07-10-2008, 10:18 PM
Del Mar in account-wager talks
By STEVE ANDERSEN
A nine-month experiment that allows the four account-wagering providers licensed in California to take bets on all of the state's racetracks may end with the conclusion of the Hollywood Park spring-summer meeting on Sunday, leaving the customers of two providers - XpressBet and Twinspires - unable to bet on Del Mar when that track opens on Wednesday.

Racing officials, executives of the account-wagering companies, and some members of the California Horse Racing Board met on Tuesday at Santa Anita to seek a continuation of the experiment. No resolution was reached, but some executives were expressing optimism that an extension is possible.

As it stands, only Television Games Network and Youbet.com customers will be able to bet on Del Mar's races. Del Mar officials have said in the past that they would like the more expansive experiment to continue, allowing bets from XpressBet and Twinspires customers. Wednesday, Del Mar's executive vice president, Craig Fravel, declined to elaborate on the status of the negotiations.

"I don't want to discuss the business negotiations in the newspapers," Fravel said. "We're continuing to have meetings. Hopefully, we can reach a satisfactory resolution."

The experiment began with the start of the Hollywood Park fall meeting last November and continued through the Santa Anita winter-spring meeting and the current Hollywood Park spring-summer meeting. During that time, handle through account-wagering sources has showed continued growth, track officials said.

Account wagering is the only growing segment of parimutuel handle, making up for lower figures ontrack and through satellite facilities.
http://www.drf.com/news/article/96210.html

trigger
07-12-2008, 03:04 AM
"Drew Couto, president of the TOC, said discussions have centered on a "largely financial adjustment" that would "allow everybody to continue the experiment through the end of the Oak Tree meeting (Oct. 26)." He declined to elaborate on the terms.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Shapiro emphasized that if parties are unable to come to an agreement, ADW at Del Mar, Fairplex, and Oak Tree would be conducted through TVG and Youbet.com as it has for the past seven years. He said the CHRB cannot force the ADW companies to come to a consensus, because the exclusive contracts are private business deals negotiated directly with racetrack associations.

"From the CHRB perspective, my goal is to take care of the fans first," he said.

Shapiro noted that results so far show that all segments of the industry have benefited by the shared wagering format. "We've got to look at the big picture," he said.

Shapiro said that ADW is the only handle on the upswing in California racing.

Couto said the ADW companies are on notice that if they don't agree to share content, they will be required to negotiate with the Thoroughbred Horsemen's Group, a national coalition representing 18 horsemen's associations, on interstate rates for the importation of California's signal elsewhere. Otherwise, he said there's not much incentive on TVG's part to drop its exclusivity unless the other ADW companies agree to go out of state for additional content.

"There's more than one way to skin a cat," Couto said.

The TOC, recognized as the majority representative of owners in the state, has control of the signal to out-of-state simulcast locations and ADW providers under provisions of the federal Interstate Horseracing Act.

TOC board chairperson Marsha Naify said the organization voted in June to authorize the THG, which has taken a hard stand in its negotiations with ADW companies on behalf of other states, to act as "broker" for California's signal.

"Our feeling all along is that horsemen don't receive enough of the revenue through purses from the ADW companies," Naify said."

http://news.bloodhorse.com//viewstory.asp?id=46106

Southieboy
07-13-2008, 06:55 PM
BTW, all of the TVG logos have been taken off the Del Mar Website
www.dmtc.com (http://www.dmtc.com)

NoCal Boy
07-13-2008, 07:34 PM
I don't recall ever seeing the Youbet logo on the homepage for Del Mar. Even if TVG retains exclusivity, Youbet gets the signal through its deal with TVG. The question remains whether out of state people will be able to wager on Del Mar through TVG and Youbet if TVG retains exclusivity. This could be Del Mar's less than subtle way of informing TVG that they will do their best to push handle Youbet's way instead of TVG. Hopefully TVG will agree to a new deal before Wednesday.

rrbauer
07-14-2008, 10:20 AM
I don't recall ever seeing the Youbet logo on the homepage for Del Mar. Even if TVG retains exclusivity, Youbet gets the signal through its deal with TVG. The question remains whether out of state people will be able to wager on Del Mar through TVG and Youbet if TVG retains exclusivity. This could be Del Mar's less than subtle way of informing TVG that they will do their best to push handle Youbet's way instead of TVG. Hopefully TVG will agree to a new deal before Wednesday.

Youbet is in many more states than TVG plus TVG gets their piece in "joint states" regardless of who handles the transaction.

Southieboy
07-15-2008, 10:39 PM
Word is that if no agreement is reached that will be TVG's final year of Del Mar.

whyhorseofcourse
07-16-2008, 12:21 PM
I just checked twinspires I can not wager on Del Mar.
Figures my 2 favorite tracks I am not allowed to wager on online.

rrbauer
07-16-2008, 05:26 PM
Initially, TS indicated that you could bet on DMR via phone but I see
that there's a message there now (5:25PM EDT) that says it's not available at all.

Watch my TT-site next month. There will be a major boycott in October and another flyover at Santa Anita (ala Magna Boycott) for the Breeders' Cup!

Don't know about you, but I'm tired on tired of being jacked around.

RichieP
07-16-2008, 06:39 PM
Unreal.

Once again one big cluster f***.

:ThmbDown::ThmbDown:

Spendabuck85
07-16-2008, 07:38 PM
An experiment that allowed the four account wagering providers in California to offer betting on all of the state's racetracks ended Wednesday when TVG declined to relinquish its exclusive rights to the Del Mar meeting, according to several racing officials.

Fravel said the current Del Mar meeting is the last in which TVG has exclusive wagering rights and that the agreement will not be continued in its current form.
"At this time next year, this scenario will be behind this," Fravel said. "We have the opportunity to bring some sanity to the process."

http://www.drf.com/news/article/96401.html

rrbauer
07-17-2008, 11:11 AM
Now, I understand that the other ADW's (other than TVG and Ubet) have been approved by TOC to take the Del Mar signal both by phone and online....anybody know about that?

TVG still has the TV rights.

RichieP
07-17-2008, 11:49 AM
This is what is showing on TS. Wagering online is back up at least here in NY

Southieboy
07-17-2008, 12:24 PM
Harper pretty much confirmed that TVG will lose TV rights at the end of this year.

NJ Stinks
07-29-2008, 04:28 PM
I cannot understand why any racetrack would sign an exclusive contract with TVG. Maybe for broadcasting rights but betting rights? It's nuts.

TVG may have been vital to racing when it was the only visual game in town. But now races are available on HRTV and the Internet.

The question is how much is TVG worth as a middleman? I think the answer is less all the time.

Of course, I must confess that I am not up with the betting mess in CA. But here in NJ I need TVG like I need a sales tax.

As an aside, I am sick of hearing TVG announcers hawking Pick 4 and Pick 6 bets. If I want to watch the Home Shopping Club (and I don't), I'll change the channel.

Light
08-03-2008, 12:24 PM
As an aside, I am sick of hearing TVG announcers hawking Pick 4 and Pick 6 bets.

And now you have to be a member to see the mystery leg. As if these guys are any good at picking horses.

trigger
08-04-2008, 06:53 PM
I cannot understand why any racetrack would sign an exclusive contract with TVG. Maybe for broadcasting rights but betting rights? It's nuts.

TVG may have been vital to racing when it was the only visual game in town. But now races are available on HRTV and the Internet.

The question is how much is TVG worth as a middleman? I think the answer is less all the time.

Of course, I must confess that I am not up with the betting mess in CA. But here in NJ I need TVG like I need a sales tax.

As an aside, I am sick of hearing TVG announcers hawking Pick 4 and Pick 6 bets. If I want to watch the Home Shopping Club (and I don't), I'll change the channel.

I'm no fan of TVG's policies but take a look at Suffolk Downs' handles in the last several weeks since being featured by TVG along with Bel/Sar and Mth....up substantially.

rrbauer
08-04-2008, 07:07 PM
Harper pretty much confirmed that TVG will lose TV rights at the end of this year.

Did Harper also confirm that HE'S the one who signed the current contract with TVG and that the TOC's "piss-on-anything-that-disagrees-with-me" Drew Couto approved it? The Del Mar board of directors will decide the TVG issue, not Joe "Super-Ego" Harper.