PDA

View Full Version : Sam Houston Simulcast

dav4463
02-28-2003, 09:09 PM
I would like to apply for a position as a talking head/race analyst between races at Sam Houston Race Park. I enjoy playing Mountaineer(great analysts), Penn National(Bogar is awesome), and of course Beulah Park (love those twins!), but Sam Houston is driving me insane with the horrible seventies music between races. I can't turn off the sound because I might miss the race while doing other things. Hire me ! I'll do a good job and you won't have to play the music anymore !!!

Zaf
03-01-2003, 12:44 AM
Yeah That was horrible what they did to Dierdre Panas after she won the First Race tonight. THey Played STUPID GIRL by GARBAGE as she was coming back to the Winners Circle.

Purple Power whats up with that.

ZAFONIC

PurplePower
03-01-2003, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by zafonic
Yeah That was horrible what they did to Dierdre Panas after she won the First Race tonight. THey Played STUPID GIRL by GARBAGE as she was coming back to the Winners Circle.

Purple Power whats up with that.

ZAFONIC I didn't know that was the title of that song - but Sam Houston is not the culprit with that. Each jockey picks a song to be played when they win the race. (That is why when Don Simington wins you hear "How do you like me now?" etc.). Dierdre picked that song for her "theme" song.

Dave - about the "talking heads". We used to have a preview show and our GM decided that no one in "simulcast land" listens to those paddock previews - and he is sure no one at the track listens to them. I don't know who said they liked hearing music between races, but someone must have done so. I have submitted a thread from here earlier this meeting about the music -- and you can hear how far I got with that. I am going to compile all the notes I have collected this meeting and include them in my end of this meeting evaluation report.

dav4463
03-01-2003, 04:19 AM
I cannot believe that they would think no one listens to the analysts between races..... Must be the same people who thinks Lone Star Park has to have a concert or sumo wrestling in between races to keep fans interested !

Enough people must listen to the twins at Beulah Park, they have their own fan club ! The analysts at Mountaineer Park are outstanding handicappers. They have put me on a winner or two out there many times, and John Bogar is a legend ! I know there has to be others besides me who listen to the pre-race analysis.

The music is just for the idiots who bet on their lucky numbers, birthdays, etc. If you want to listen to music, go to Lone Star, there is a concert almost every night !

Sam Houston, get on the ball ! I love this track, but if I have to hear Randy Newman sing " Short People" one more time, I am going to scream !!! Give us a pre-race analysis,or hire me, Ill do it, I know how to handicap a race ! Anything, just let the sport of horseracing be the main focus, not the seventies music !!

JimG
03-01-2003, 07:36 AM
I must admit that when I play MNR or PEN I also enjoy the pre-race analysis. As far as betting BEU...can't say I listen to the Twins but I sure like to watch them:D

As far as HOU goes, you are actually alienating fans with that horrible (cmon "Crazy Horses" by the Osmonds) music between races. In case management has forgotten, the sport of kings in called horse racing. It involves pari-mutuel gambling. The constant music between races does NOTHING to enhance the pleasure of gambling on horses and is extremely annoying to most engaged in that pursuit.

Tell the bosses at HOU to get out from behind their desk and try and handicap and BET between races there sometime....then they might understand what those on this board are saying.

Jim

JustRalph
03-01-2003, 07:41 AM
That is kind of neat that Deidre chose that song.......

JimG, they are ruining that track and this is just a symptom. They stopped getting my money a while back. It's too bad they don't listen to Purple. :cool:

Tom
03-01-2003, 09:42 AM
Get rid of a preview show about racing and replace it with muzak that noone wnats and actually drives people away?
Sounds about right for this industry.
TheGM didn't think anyone was listening?
What did he use as his source of information?
The psychic hotline?
Why does everyone in anypositon of authority or management in this industry think all of us bettors are stupid?
And did GM ever consider that people atching at a simo center would be on another channel in between races anyways, and people playing at home are probablty sitting by a streo or tv or radio as it is?

David McKenzie
03-01-2003, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by PurplePower
... We used to have a preview show and our GM decided that no one in "simulcast land" listens to those paddock previews - and he is sure no one at the track listens to them. I don't know who said they liked hearing music between races, but someone must have done so.

Here's the bottom line.

I've turned off the Sam Houston audio between races because I don't want to hear the music. As a result I've missed the call to post (I usually bet as close to post time as possible) and have missed the start of some races. Ergo, I didn't bet. No bet = no action for HOU.

You might suggest your GM contact Sports Haven in Connecticut. They used to run disco during their simulcasting at night. My understanding is their vig went up when the volume went down.

GR1@HTR
03-01-2003, 12:38 PM
PP,
Get rid of that noise pollution and get the GM to put you on the air with maybe some fine looking woman to talk horses...Don't think horse players go to the races for music...That is why we have radio stations...

PurplePower
03-01-2003, 09:13 PM
I talked to TV Chris today. He said that he didn't think the sound was going to "Simo land". When I told him that it was he said he was going to make sure it was ok with GM and pull the music from the Simo feed. Now that may also mean that you will not hear to call to post -- so let me know. Is the sound off? and can you hear the call to post?

dav4463
03-01-2003, 11:12 PM
Thanks for the quick response. I heard the call to post just fine and am enjoying the silence otherwise.

ceejay
03-03-2003, 01:28 PM
Just one guy's opinion: If you don't like the "tunes" between races, hit the mute button on your video player. I don't object to the music and like the fact that if my feed goes down I can identify it earlier so I don't miss the race.

dav4463
03-05-2003, 04:35 AM
If I put the mute button on, then I might miss the call to post. I didn't think about the feed going down though..... guess I would rather take that chance than listen to the Captain and Tennille followed by Randy Newman and then some other disco era song, etc. !