PDA

View Full Version : That's why they call it the "bush league"

Kentucky Bred
02-28-2003, 04:28 PM
This must be my month for rants. But in over 25 years of watching horse racing I saw something today that I've never seen before.

About 15 minutes before the 7th race at the "esteemed" Beulah Park was scheduled to go off at a distance of 1 mile, the track flashed across the screen the following:

"Race 7 will be contested at SIX FURLONGS!!!"(emphasis added)

and then to be considerate, the following:

"We apologize for any inconvenience".

ARE YOU KIDDING ME??!!

Now to be fair, we've had a lot of rain here. The track was muddy. I'm sure they had some problems. But I checked every type of horse info site I know of and there was no mention of this rather significant change. I was scoping out a pace play based on a two turn mile race. Where do you think my key horse finished when they decided to run the race at a 6f instead?

Do you think speed handicappers had it any better?

Now I don't know when the announcement was made, obviously earlier than the start of the race for those 12 people who were in attendance. But to the rest of the free world--most people were absolutely SOL.

I've seen a million races carded for the turf and then taken off the turf at relatively the same distance. But never a route to a sprint. Do you think the trainers bring up a horse to a sprint race the same way they do a route?? Ah...no!

If you can't run the race at a distance that's considered to be generally within the ballpark from what was carded and filled then DON'T RUN THE RACE! Let the tracks with win pools over $1000 carry the day.

BTW, the race was won by #8, a 6 furlong speed type who the trainer was trying to stretch out to a mile. Fortunately for the trainer, the horse never had to.

Kentucky Bred

cj
02-28-2003, 06:47 PM
KB,

That is total garbage! I've only seen one thing remotely similiar. At Lrl one day, a mile turf race was transferred to the dirt. They don't run a mile at LRL, so I guess everyone assumed the race would be at 1 1/16 miles. No announcement was ever made regarding the race distance. I do remember the shock in the grandstand as the race went off and the horses came out of the chute. They changed the race to 7f and told noone.

CJ

JustRalph
02-28-2003, 07:31 PM
The "esteemed" Beulah Park has done that before. I remember my Dad bitchin about that exact thing. He told me that years ago they did the same thing except they announced it during the post parade. He said the real problem was that nobody listened to the announcer during post parades. Nobody knew until they moved the gate into a different position or something like that. You are right, the entire crowd of 50 was pissed!

GameTheory
02-28-2003, 08:31 PM
It is hard to believe that is even legal, considering there must have been wagers already placed. It is like switching the program numbers on the horses after people have bet...

JustRalph
03-01-2003, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by GameTheory
It is hard to believe that is even legal, considering there must have been wagers already placed. It is like switching the program numbers on the horses after people have bet...

If my dad was still with us,.......he could probably verify that they did that too!!!