PDA

View Full Version : PA Interactive 3D race game

joanied
06-28-2008, 02:23 PM
PA,

Can you tell me wether or not the game down load is a biggie or not... is it a resource hog, or easy on one's computer?
I'd love:jump: to try it, but would like to know just how large a program download it would be.

THANK YOU:)

Tom Barrister
06-28-2008, 09:15 PM
The program itself is about 20-25 megs in size. When I ran it, it didn't use up an excessive amount of CPU or RAM.

PaceAdvantage
06-28-2008, 11:29 PM
The latest version that I downloaded was 21 megs, and it does not appear to be a resource hog, although I am running it on a rig (don't you just love that kind of talk) that I built a few months ago....

JeremyJet
06-29-2008, 12:57 AM
Is this program a handicapping version of Horse Racing Fantasy?

JeremyJet

PaceAdvantage
06-29-2008, 01:47 AM
If you're referring to the Sim2Win program, it is produced by the same company that makes the HRF game...

JeremyJet
06-29-2008, 01:06 PM
If you're referring to the Sim2Win program, it is produced by the same company that makes the HRF game...

I talked to Gary Darveaux about this more than 10 years ago when HRFAN was a DOS program. Looks like his new partners had $$$ on their mind.

I think it's great they have gone in this direction, but charging $30 per file is insane. How did they arrive at that figure?

The sheets guys have created monsters. People see what they're charging and figure it's OK for them to do it as well.

JeremyJet

joanied
06-29-2008, 01:07 PM
PA & Tom,

Thanks...I think I'm going to download it to my RIG :p and have a go!!
Appreciate the replies.
:)

JeremyJet
06-29-2008, 01:24 PM
My suggestion to Gary was to sell the program as a handicappers [aid] ... especially for speed handicappers. I guess they figured why sell the program all at once when they could stick it to you on a regular basis. I gues it's just human nature to be greedy.

JeremyJet

PaceAdvantage
06-29-2008, 02:52 PM
I talked to Gary Darveaux about this more than 10 years ago when HRFAN was a DOS program. Looks like his new partners had $$$ on their mind.

I think it's great they have gone in this direction, but charging $30 per file is insane. How did they arrive at that figure?

The sheets guys have created monsters. People see what they're charging and figure it's OK for them to do it as well.

JeremyJetDon't know who Gary D. is...I've never dealt with anyone named that while talking to the folks at HRF....perhaps you are confusing them with someone else?

Also, I don't know much about the handicapping program, but the game seems to be pretty cool....I still have to get into it a bit, especially the tournament aspects of it....

JimG
06-29-2008, 02:58 PM
Don't know who Gary D. is...I've never dealt with anyone named that while talking to the folks at HRF....perhaps you are confusing them with someone else?

Gary D. was the creator and contact for Horse Racing Fantasy. I still enjoy that game which includes many horses from all time greats through the 2004 season. I was sorry to see the game go in a different direction but am very glad they provide advertising dollars to this board.

Last contact I had with Gary was about 3 years ago when I inquired if he was putting out more horses. The reply I got back indicated he had more pressing matters to take care of and the game had taken a back seat at that time.

Jim

PaceAdvantage
06-29-2008, 04:26 PM
Gary D. was the creator and contact for Horse Racing Fantasy. I still enjoy that game which includes many horses from all time greats through the 2004 season. I was sorry to see the game go in a different direction but am very glad they provide advertising dollars to this board.So are you saying Gary sold the rights to the game?

I haven't had much time to put into playing the game, but it appears they still include all time greats along with current years....no?

JimG
06-29-2008, 06:03 PM
So are you saying Gary sold the rights to the game?

I haven't had much time to put into playing the game, but it appears they still include all time greats along with current years....no?

PA,

I have no idea if he sold the rights or still involved somehow. Have not heard from him in a few years now. Also, I have not downloaded or played the current version of the game. Probably will check it out sometime.

Jim

JeremyJet
06-29-2008, 06:36 PM
So are you saying Gary sold the rights to the game?

I talked to Gary earlier this year when I noticed the new format. I have the Windows version of the game, ans also a DOS version on a old laptop that's been in my closet for years.

IMHO, I don't think Gary would ever sell his baby that he's been tinkering with for over 10 years. I think he just got some new partners.

JeremyJet

JeremyJet
06-29-2008, 06:46 PM
Don't know who Gary D. is...I've never dealt with anyone named that while talking to the folks at HRF....perhaps you are confusing them with someone else?

Also, I don't know much about the handicapping program, but the game seems to be pretty cool....I still have to get into it a bit, especially the tournament aspects of it....

It is a cool game. I found out about back in like 1995. At that time Gary was hosting a Trainer Game tournement. I was great fun, but get this, they never hosted another tournament even though it was advertised on their web page.

Earlier this year, when I noticed the new format, their new web page indicated trainer competitions were on the way ... and better than ever. I kept visiting their home page to see if and when another trainer game becomes reality. Everytime I visited their site, nothing new was going on.

JeremyJet

Tom Barrister
06-29-2008, 08:26 PM
As far as I know, Gary is still iinvolved with Horse Race Simulation, LLC. He and Michael Calderone founded the company, and what I gather is that Mr. Calderone handles most of the day to day, marketing, and P.R. for the company.

PaceAdvantage
06-30-2008, 01:37 AM
As far as I know, Gary is still iinvolved with Horse Race Simulation, LLC. He and Michael Calderone founded the company, and what I gather is that Mr. Calderone handles most of the day to day, marketing, and P.R. for the company.Well, that explains it....MC is who I have dealt with exclusively....

Bill Cullen
07-22-2008, 09:22 PM
Does this game (or any game) allow one to test one's handicapping ability over a decent sample?

Thanks,

Bill C

Tom Barrister
07-23-2008, 02:21 AM
Does this game (or any game) allow one to test one's handicapping ability over a decent sample?

Thanks,

Bill C

HRF doesn't really allow you to test your handicapping ability as it would apply to real-life handicapping, at least not in my opinion, and since each race is run individually (there's no simulation mode in HRF itself), working up a "decent sample" would take a long time. HRF isn't really a handicapping tool.