PDA

View Full Version : pete rose and horse racing

lamboguy
06-28-2008, 11:43 AM
how come peter rose got barred for life and all he did was bet his own team to win the ballgames?

these trainers that get these slap in the wrist suspensions get 15 days and they are misleading people that plunk down their money at the windows.

pat bianacone only got a year for snake venum and basic cruelty to the animal.

in japan, you try to screw the public, you get barred for life and time in the can.

do you think there is something wrong with this great sport we all love here?

racing cannot even protect the integrety of the wagering pools.

for the guys that pm'ed me to keep my mouth shut about the inequities and injustice that goes on in this game, i can just say this, shame on you!

HEADSUP
07-01-2008, 07:36 AM
your example for comparison is ridiculous...there are LAWS against betting baseball ( for anyone) while the horse racing industry is based on BETTING

could you please remind me what Biancone did that qualified as crulety to animals, I really dont remember ( old age does that to you or me anyway)

as far as the penalties some of these guys get, remember that many of these "drugs" that show up were administered by a vet ( possibly to much or to late) and then the trainer & owner get penalized

I think sometime we get to worked up over the word "drugs"....geez until a few years ago plenty of guys were using "baking soda" to improve a horses performance during a race (MILKSHAKING).......as you can see there are literally tons of ways that can be used to help a horses performance that aren't "drugs" but in some cases are illegal , so the days or lenght of suspensions varies greatly..Find how long the suspension of a trainer using
"sublimaze" (Im sure its spelled incorectly) was when they finally figured how to test for it...if my old mnd remember it was a LONG time.

these charges against Dutrow are very minor and the press has decided to crucify the guy while assmussen's crime( that he got caught on) is much worse but yet NO big deal in the press

I think before we ruin someones life we( especially us who are true horse-players) should do some reading and find out exactly what is going on ( its too bad people in the media dont have to)
it seems that when I read these forums I find so many people bashing a guy like Dutrow, when in reality they really have NO-CLUE as to what they are saying. There a 100's of ways of improving a horses performance, both legal & illegal that are used by most if not ALL top trainers. Conversly there are 100's of ways of decreasing the performance in a horse , both legal and not, that many of the poorer trainers use ( some by design & others by pure ignorance) and I think before we BASH we might be better sreved to learn rather than crucify ( pulling out the hammer and nails)

slewis
07-01-2008, 08:05 AM
[QUOTE]it seems that when I read these forums I find so many people bashing a guy like Dutrow, when in reality they really have NO-CLUE as to what they are saying. There a 100's of ways of improving a horses performance, both legal & illegal that are used by most if not ALL top trainers. Conversly there are 100's of ways of decreasing the performance in a horse , both legal and not, that many of the poorer trainers use ( some by design & others by pure ignorance) and I think before we BASH we might be better sreved to learn rather than crucify ( pulling out the hammer and nails.[QUOTE]

I'd love to comprise a list of top trainers who use Winstrol, Clembuterol, and other LEGAL serious performance effecting drugs and post it.
These guys are doing many of the same things Dutrow is doing, and as I posted previously, my vet bills with Rick were considerably less than some other top trainers I've had horses with. Some fool was actually dumb enough to post that Rick was "paying the vet bill himself, so he could cash a huge bet." As if doing vet work is some guarantee of victory... yeah, right.
Many of the top guys use the same Vets or Vets who work for a top Vet (I'll bet many on this forum didn't know that many top vets have several Vets working FOR them.)
The main problem today isn't what is LEGAL and being used, it's what's NOT detected, which as I've stated before, might not necessarily be illegal.

Perfectly said:ThmbUp:

lcohen
07-01-2008, 08:49 AM
Could someone please post the text of the "LAW" that prohibits betting on baseball. I may be in big trouble.

lamboguy
07-01-2008, 09:13 AM
if there is a guy in new york that i like its that man. he is a classy guy in his own way. i am not saying or incinuating anything towards him. he is telling it like it is. however there are some people out there with designer drugs, that the drug testers don't even know what to test for.

and here is another one, if you can't trust the drug tester, how can you trust the drug test.

all i have been advocating is for a very stricht racing commision. i am not out to get any one particular trainer, i am out to make this a fan-friendly sport.

so please don't take it personal about your particular trainer, i got trainers myself, and i know how it works.

phatbastard
07-01-2008, 09:18 AM
try to talk around it, justify it, say its just the status quo, but it is the 1000 lb gorilla in the room......by adding illegal drugs, which is the thing that drives this topic [EPO and other untestables], these aren't just simple drugging offenses. they are rigging a sporting event, with the added taint of legalized gambling proceeds...

Petey, as a manager, had the air of a cheater by betting on the outcome of games he participated in....certainly some comparisons exist....

and pete also loved betting the ponies, saw him nearly every chance he got in Atlantic City dining terrace during his years in philly.....but even there he couldn't stay outta trouble...as it was IRS thought landed him in slammer for dealing with 10% ers on winning taxed tickets...

njcurveball
07-01-2008, 09:26 AM
Could someone please post the text of the "LAW" that prohibits betting on baseball. I may be in big trouble.

We ALL remember the 1919 Black Sox scandal right? The one that has kept Shoeless Joe out of the Hall of the Fame for almost a century?

How bout a player in 1875 trumpeting horse racing with the following quote?

"Any professional base ball club will 'throw' a game if there is money in it. A horse race is a pretty safe thing to speculate on in comparison with the average ball match." -- Beadle's Dime Base Ball Player, 1875

It was a different time back then where baseball players made $50 a month and workers made $75 a month.

They HAD to pass a rule as those years were a lot like harness racing today. :mad:

Here is the dreaded Rule 21

http://www.baseball1.com/bb-data/rose/rule21.html

(d) BETTING ON BALL GAMES. Any player, umpire, or club official or
employee, who shall bet any sum whatsoever upon any baseball game in
connection with which the bettor has no duty to perform shall be declared
ineligible for one year.

Any player, umpire, or club or league official or employee, who shall
bet any sum whatsoever upon any baseball game in connection with which
the bettor has a duty to perform shall be declared permanently ineligible.

lcohen
07-01-2008, 11:07 AM
We ALL remember the 1919 Black Sox scandal right? The one that has kept Shoeless Joe out of the Hall of the Fame for almost a century?

How bout a player in 1875 trumpeting horse racing with the following quote?

"Any professional base ball club will 'throw' a game if there is money in it. A horse race is a pretty safe thing to speculate on in comparison with the average ball match." -- Beadle's Dime Base Ball Player, 1875

It was a different time back then where baseball players made $50 a month and workers made $75 a month.

They HAD to pass a rule as those years were a lot like harness racing today. :mad:

Here is the dreaded Rule 21

http://www.baseball1.com/bb-data/rose/rule21.html

(d) BETTING ON BALL GAMES. Any player, umpire, or club official or
employee, who shall bet any sum whatsoever upon any baseball game in
connection with which the bettor has no duty to perform shall be declared
ineligible for one year.

Any player, umpire, or club or league official or employee, who shall
bet any sum whatsoever upon any baseball game in connection with which
the bettor has a duty to perform shall be declared permanently ineligible.
Oh, now I get it. He meant the "rule". Whew!, I was worried for a minute there.

Marshall Bennett
07-01-2008, 05:15 PM
Pete Rose knew what he was doing was wrong , he got what he deserved . Those that knowingly cheat in all sports should be removed , kicked out , terminated , no exceptions !!

HEADSUP
07-01-2008, 08:34 PM

COULD YOU PLEASE TELL ME WHERE YOU BET SPORTS LEGALLY (excluding Las Vegas)

Tom Barrister
07-01-2008, 11:11 PM
COULD YOU PLEASE TELL ME WHERE YOU BET SPORTS LEGALLY (excluding Las Vegas)

Almost any country besides the United States.

thespaah
07-01-2008, 11:15 PM
how come peter rose got barred for life and all he did was bet his own team to win the ballgames?

these trainers that get these slap in the wrist suspensions get 15 days and they are misleading people that plunk down their money at the windows.

pat bianacone only got a year for snake venum and basic cruelty to the animal.

in japan, you try to screw the public, you get barred for life and time in the can.

do you think there is something wrong with this great sport we all love here?

racing cannot even protect the integrety of the wagering pools.

for the guys that pm'ed me to keep my mouth shut about the inequities and injustice that goes on in this game, i can just say this, shame on you!
Well there 's a few things you're leaving out. First Rose signed a contract with the teams he played/managed for. In those contracts there are rules stating that he could not bet on baseball.
That aside. I agree with you..Trainers that use drugs; fix races and generally screw the game and the public should be barred for life and given prison time.
Or we should be allowed to skin them alive and set them on fire...whatever

YokohamaMary
07-02-2008, 01:13 AM
Pete Rose should be banned from humanity for what he did to poor little Buddy Harrelson.

Fak Pete Rose.