PDA

View Full Version : Targeted returns

nobeyerspls
06-28-2008, 09:16 AM
Some who make straight win bets structure them around odds-lines, passing when their selection goes to post at lower odds. I don't ever bet much to win ($5 is the usual amount) so instead of odds lines I simply set a minimum odds level of 7/2.
That is not true when I bet pick 3's and win 4's. I target returns of 20 to 40 times my wager for pick 3's and 40 to 80 times the bet for win 4's. This rules out plays at tracks with small fields (look at the early card at Churchill today) and sequences when you have to go too deep. A $1 pick 3 that is 2x3x4 is a $24 wager requiring a $480 payout for the target minimum. The ideal situation is to have a single other than a heavily bet favorite in a race. A recent example was a $9 ticket (1x3x3) that returned $214 when the sequence was 7/2, 9/2, 5/2.
Why targeted returns at that level? First of all I get a lot of two out of threes and three out of fours. Then too, I often cash for substantially less than the target when two favorites are part of the ticket.
Does anyone else take this approach?