PDA

View Full Version : forgotten ones

tabasco223
06-27-2008, 02:55 PM
today i was thinking about some of my favorites that wont be remembered...
who first came to mind for me was Formal Gold. Loved that horse. To me, its a shame he was hurt and doesnt get remembered like Skip Away who he finished ahead of multiple times...

just interested to hear about others favs who may become forgotten ones...:)

lilmegahertz
06-27-2008, 05:47 PM
I don't know if he would qualify as a favorite, but I always liked

Jolie's Thunder [Thunder Gulch-Pleasant Jolie]. 21-10-2-4 $155,660. I just liked this horse. I cannot find anything on him now. The last I saw of him was at Oaklawn in I think 2005 or 2006.

joanied
06-27-2008, 08:48 PM
I don't know if he would qualify as a favorite, but I always liked

Jolie's Thunder [Thunder Gulch-Pleasant Jolie]. 21-10-2-4 $155,660. I just liked this horse. I cannot find anything on him now. The last I saw of him was at Oaklawn in I think 2005 or 2006.

This is all I found... nice little horse, it seems...
Owner: Bean Counter Stables LLC
Breeder: Arthur I. Appelton
State Bred: FL
Winnings: 62 Starts: 9 - 13 - 15, $266,993

as of 7/30/07

joanied
06-27-2008, 08:55 PM
This could be an interesting thread, tabasco... lots of horses have gone forgotten... one that I thought about often was Kiri's Clown... won over a million $$, retired and was pretty much forgotten. Loved to watch him race... he really looked like his daddy, and inherited Foolish Pleasure's 'grit'...I was inquiring about him not too long ago, and found out he's been at Old Friends Retirement Home...being well taken care of, looks great for his age and I went ahead and donated some $$ to his upkeep there.
:)

KirisClown
06-27-2008, 09:32 PM
This could be an interesting thread, tabasco... lots of horses have gone forgotten... one that I thought about often was Kiri's Clown... won over a million $$, retired and was pretty much forgotten. Loved to watch him race... he really looked like his daddy, and inherited Foolish Pleasure's 'grit'...I was inquiring about him not too long ago, and found out he's been at Old Friends Retirement Home...being well taken care of, looks great for his age and I went ahead and donated some $$ to his upkeep there.

You'll enjoy this one...

mGUB8_X--NY

maxwell
06-27-2008, 09:40 PM
I don't think Formal Gold is forgotten. He is still mentioned in the DRF from time to time ... when there's an article concerning very fast horses.

jognlope
06-27-2008, 09:50 PM
Coronado's Quest, had a strong affection for that horse for some reason.

joanied
06-27-2008, 10:06 PM
Kiri's Clown.....THANKS so much!!
Great :jump: to see that race again...and I watched the others you have, used the links...the allowance race at Belmont brought tears to my eyes...he was really somethin'...so much like Foolish, tough, gritty, determined....heart as big as they come!!
Thank you:)

I tell ya, I was so relieved :faint: when I found him at Old Friends...whew!!

lilmegahertz
06-28-2008, 09:15 AM
In 2001-2002 there was a horse called Go Bam Bam Go that ran at Suffolk Downs that I liked. I have no idea whatever happened to him.

Shenanigans
06-28-2008, 10:06 AM
Artax was always a fun one to watch. Wasn't he the one that broke Mr. Prospectors record for 6 furlongs?? I can't remember....

cj's dad
06-28-2008, 10:53 AM
Housebuster- all heart and more

joanied
06-28-2008, 11:36 AM
Artax was always a fun one to watch. Wasn't he the one that broke Mr. Prospectors record for 6 furlongs?? I can't remember....

Yep!!
Great horse.

joanied
06-28-2008, 11:41 AM
Death row convict is getting a lethal injection- so why do they swab his arm with alcohol?

George Carlin-1937-2008

CJ'sdad....
You picked one of his best lines... that man is going to be missed, he was damn brilliant and for me, probably the best comedian :lol: ever....loved his stuff on STUFF...
heard part of an interview with him recently...it was from several years ago, and he was asked what he'd like as the epitath on his grave;
"He was here for a minute"

And every minute with Carlin was funny.
RIP

tabasco223
06-28-2008, 01:02 PM
yeah i seem to always like the horses that are slightly overshadowed... like free house. he was always a fun one to watch with his huge write rimmed eyes (:

joanied
06-28-2008, 01:06 PM
yeah i seem to always like the horses that are slightly overshadowed... like free house. he was always a fun one to watch with his huge write rimmed eyes (:

Me too...he & Silver Charm sure gave us some exciting stretch runs...he passed away much too young...and speaking of Free House...I admired Trudy McCaffery so much, she was a wondrful person, and I miss watching 'Came Home'.

RaceBookJoe
06-28-2008, 04:25 PM
My favorite "forgotten" or at least "less talked about" big name horse was Riva Ridge. I believe he was the first horse I fell in love with and seems to me to be a very underrated horse...or at least my nostaligia is kicking in. rbj

Living Flame
06-29-2008, 01:44 AM
Prized! He Was an amazing horse on BOTH grass and dirt! He beat Sunday Silence on the dirt and won the Breeder's Cup turf. What a horse - he was so consistent!!:jump:

I just visited the old boy up at O'Sullivan farm is WV. He is "22 going on 8," they say! He is in awesome shape. He grabbed my sweater and was happy to pose for pix. He's a real character.:cool:

I also saw another old friend, Black Tie Affair (sire of Evening Attire), and a favorite Maryland horse, Meadow Monster (cute name!).

PeteKoch
06-29-2008, 08:29 AM
today i was thinking about some of my favorites that wont be remembered...
who first came to mind for me was Formal Gold. Loved that horse. To me, its a shame he was hurt and doesnt get remembered like Skip Away who he finished ahead of multiple times...

IMO, Formal Gold was one of the most under-rated horses of the 90s, if not THE most under-rated. I was at MTH the day he broke his maiden (as a 3YO). Absolutely jaw-dropping. I believe he was given a Beyer # which is still the highest ever earned in a maiden race. Then he got better....

Tom
06-29-2008, 11:18 AM
Dave's Friend, Trumpeter Swan?
Couple of old favorites.

gemcity39
06-30-2008, 11:22 PM
Da Hoss...won many times, took a year off and then won a breeders cup turf race...all heart.:)

FormalGold1
07-01-2008, 12:51 AM
I remember when Formal Gold won his maiden by 19 lengths. Jaw dropping. Defeated Skip Away 4 times and posted back-to-back 126 Beyers.
He was the favorite going in to the '97 Breeders Cup but cracked his hind leg in training. Serious racehorse.

jfb
07-01-2008, 01:05 AM
Precisionist had a very nice high cruising speed.

Living Flame
07-01-2008, 02:44 AM
Death row convict is getting a lethal injection- so why do they swab his arm with alcohol?

George Carlin-1937-2008

CJ'sdad....
You picked one of his best lines... that man is going to be missed, he was damn brilliant and for me, probably the best comedian :lol: ever....loved his stuff on STUFF...
heard part of an interview with him recently...it was from several years ago, and he was asked what he'd like as the epitath on his grave;
"He was here for a minute"

And every minute with Carlin was funny.
RIP

Yeah, you said it! That guy was one of the smartest human beings on the planet today!

I'm sure you've seen "It's bad for ya." My jaw dropped when i heard him talk about children and all the BS in the world today! :eek: Truer words have never been spoken!:lol:

Geez i can't believe he's gone.:(

"Don't be afraid of getting old. It's a great time of life. You get to take advantage of people...and you're not repsonsible for anything.":lol:

cj's dad
07-01-2008, 06:20 AM

Saw him at Belmont on Stakes day.Absolutely the most beautiful horse I have ever seen.

YokohamaMary
07-01-2008, 10:43 AM
Not a well known horse but I always had an affection for Turn and Count (owned by Sigmund Summer).

For those who enjoyed watching Coronados Quest (as did I) he has some decent horses running in Japan (nice maiden winner last week).

joanied
07-01-2008, 02:57 PM
Yeah, you said it! That guy was one of the smartest human beings on the planet today!

I'm sure you've seen "It's bad for ya." My jaw dropped when i heard him talk about children and all the BS in the world today! :eek: Truer words have never been spoken!:lol:

Geez i can't believe he's gone.:(

"Don't be afraid of getting old. It's a great time of life. You get to take advantage of people...and you're not repsonsible for anything.":lol:

Yep...seen the 'it's bad for ya'...the man just had a way of being able to really tell it like it is and make you laugh your ass off!!

Passed away much too soon... I will miss his mind and his humor. He was a true American Classic.

joanied
07-01-2008, 02:59 PM
Da Hoss...won many times, took a year off and then won a breeders cup turf race...all heart.:)

Incredible horse...when he won that BC race I was cryin' like a baby and jumping :jump: up & down...one of the true great BC moments.

KirisClown
07-02-2008, 12:03 PM
Sir Bear....

pOVe3vmagog

jognlope
07-02-2008, 12:12 PM
I watched and love that announcer.

46zilzal
07-02-2008, 01:37 PM
Quicken Tree: a galloping chestnut with four white socks
Ack Ack (another forgotten MONSTER, adaptable: grass/dirt, weight carrier and could run multiple distances with ease.)

Fort Marcy: grass champion
Manta: great mare
Ta Wee: great sprinter
Domino
Sysonby
Colin

Many others under the radar by those who are only stuck to the more recent crops.

joanied
07-02-2008, 02:57 PM
I think the fillies/mares get forgotten more often than the colts/geldings. Here are some forgotten females, that were outstanding;
Affectionately
Cicada
Gamely
Shuvee
Tasmah
Cosmah
Chris Evert

46zilzal
07-03-2008, 02:32 PM
Miesque is another one