PDA

View Full Version : response

andicap
02-28-2003, 11:32 AM
Since PA closed the threads I need to respond to a couple of posts

1) Karl, I was referring to Hymie the Robot on "Get Smart" not "Hymie" as in Jesse Jackson saying "Hymietown." I am Jewish.
Hymie the Robot did anything you asked of him, was incredibly focused, and took everything literally. If you told Hymie to "shake a leg," he would literally shake his leg. Drove Maxwell Smart crazy.
So when Max asked him to "kill the light," Hymie pulled out a gun and shot out the light.

2) I knew sligg was probably not using the word intentionally. I was just pointing out -- and I think sligg agreed with me! -- we must be careful of the context in which we use words. "Chink" is a fine word, I use it all the time, but in the context of talking about the "Chinese Double," it can hurt people's feelings. Of course I know sligg wasn't being racist! But if a Chinese-American person was reading it, maybe he wouldn't see it that way considering all the racism there still is in this country against Asians. (And the huge history of racism against the Chinese in the U.S.)
Yes, I agree there is way too much political correctness in the world. I tell ethnic jokes, can laugh at the foibles of the Jews, and for the most part, don't take things all that seriously. But words like "******" are poison. Yes, African Americans use them, but when they do it's an an ironic sense that they are allowed to do because they are black.
(Relatedly, you can go too far in being PC. Some schools have outlawed the use of the word "niggardly," which means cheap and has absolutely nothing to do with being black, etc. Whole different etamology. That to me is almost as bad as saying the word because it shows just a lack of understanding of the word "******" to begin with and its orgins.)

If I call my Jewish friends, "dumb kikes," we can laugh. If a non-Jewish person uses that word, I'll get nuclear pissed.

Even inadvertantly, words can hurt if you're not careful. I don't think it's asking people too much to think a little bit before opening their mouth.

PaceAdvantage
02-28-2003, 02:00 PM
Sorry I closed the thread too soon before you got a chance to respond. That was a very well thought out response, and one that I hope puts an END to this little off-topic discussion.

Amazin
02-28-2003, 04:48 PM
Pa

I didn't think anyone intended racism,but I could tell how it could be misinterpreted.However,as you are probably aware there has been some blatant racism on this board,notably the "Europe" thread,in which I had to start a thread against it and then defend against a racist onslaught.I was a bit astonished at that time cause I had expected you to close that thread soon just as you rightly closed this last one.I'm not trying to tell you your business,but unfortunately if you close one thread about racism and leave another open,you run the risk of looking like a racist yourself to guests who may log on.Can't be good for business.From what I can tell you seem very fair and open minded and I think you have deleted the Europe thread.But if there is one rule you need to enforce it is the bashing of ANY race,regardless of political climate.I see it quite regurarly on this board.

keilan
02-28-2003, 05:35 PM
Andicap -- thanks for another intelligent post.

And yes that Europe thread was brutal.

karlskorner
02-28-2003, 05:48 PM
A dank. Zol zayn mit mazil.

freeneasy
03-01-2003, 03:41 PM
in some Christian thoughts and teachings there are referral statements to the verse " but put on the whole armour of God " and the reference is to, not allow a "chink" ( that is a chip, crack or break ect.) in your armour as it is a way to allow for the enemy to find a way of entering into that area of your life.
Iam sure that the word 'chink' was being referred to as a flaw, mistake, miscalculation of some sort.

Lefty
03-01-2003, 07:49 PM
Amazin, you seem to find a lot of racism on this board. Damn if I can find it. There was no racism in the Europe thread. Chiding the French cause they're opposed to us going into Iraq is not racism.
It's funny cause the libs accuse Bush of wanting a war to steal Iraq's oil. Not even close, but the French are developing oilfields in Iraq so they don't want a war because of oil. Ironic, don'tcha think?
And that's not racism.

Tom
03-01-2003, 09:23 PM
Just got my tickets to the Racist Ball...you going again this year?
<G>

anotherdave
03-01-2003, 10:25 PM
I certainly never thought of "Get Smart" as racist. Then again he did say "Sorry about that, Chief". Anyone have problems with that one?

AD

(Missed it by that much........my life story at the track!)

(Don't tell me the 3 won at 20-1..............

I asked you not to tell me that!)

Tom
03-01-2003, 11:16 PM
15-1?
How about 10-1?
How about he jumped the rail and ran off in the parking lot?

da da da...DA!
da da da...DA!
da da dadad da dada da
dadadadadadadadadada..
da da da...DA!......

Amazin
03-02-2003, 11:24 AM
Lefty:

Can't believe your asking that question,but I did start a thread entitled"Racism on pa board",in which I answerd this question you pose.You may have missed it because I don't see any responses by you in the thread.Here's the link

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=4558

By the way I was wrong about pa deleting the ""europe thread".It's still there.You can reread all the derogatory remarks like "snail eating monkeys","leeches",or garbage can funeral jokes etc.If theses are not racist or offensive to you then let me know so I can address you with this "normal" talk.

andicap
03-03-2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by freeneasy
in some Christian thoughts and teachings there are referral statements to the verse " but put on the whole armour of God " and the reference is to, not allow a "chink" ( that is a chip, crack or break ect.) in your armour as it is a way to allow for the enemy to find a way of entering into that area of your life.
Iam sure that the word 'chink' was being referred to as a flaw, mistake, miscalculation of some sort.

Exactly, and that's what I put in my response above. To his credit, sligg understood immediately what I was saying. My point, Free, is that in the context of referring to something Chinese, "chink" is not the wisest of words to use. I wasn't out to chastise Sligg, just to promote understanding and remind people that what they say can hurt as much as a missile.