PDA

View Full Version : Charts - Creation of your own PP's

BCOURTNEY
06-27-2008, 04:07 AM
This question is for anyone maintaining their own databases. Is there really any value provided by purchasing PPs from data providers as most of the "information" provided specific to any given horse is extrapolated from the winner's stats in a chart? I see things offered like fractional times for a horse on a previous preformance and laugh, aren't these estimates based on lengths behind at any given call behind the leader, don't most chart writers just hazard guesses and use them for surrogates for real knowledge and rarely review their tapes even after a race is run?

gm10
06-27-2008, 04:51 AM
This question is for anyone maintaining their own databases. Is there really any value provided by purchasing PPs from data providers as most of the "information" provided specific to any given horse is extrapolated from the winner's stats in a chart? I see things offered like fractional times for a horse on a previous preformance and laugh, aren't these estimates based on lengths behind at any given call behind the leader, don't most chart writers just hazard guesses and use them for surrogates for real knowledge and rarely review their tapes even after a race is run?

they are not 100% accurate but I can guarantee you that you can do good things with them
some tracks like woodbine have accurate lengths behind measuring (Trakus) now, and it will only get better

BCOURTNEY
06-27-2008, 05:00 AM
they are not 100% accurate but I can guarantee you that you can do good things with them
some tracks like woodbine have accurate lengths behind measuring (Trakus) now, and it will only get better

I assume that Trakus is some type of radio or RFID system. Sounds good. The problem is that they are not simply "not 100%" accurate, after reviewing a few hundred videos, they are simply terrible in accuracy, scale (track to track), etc. I can't beleive they are being sold as even near "factual" level to the public, seems to be a misrepresentation of a product or service. Think I'll stick to final times and speed handicapping until pace can be assessed properly.

sjk
06-27-2008, 07:08 AM
I have not purchased any PPs in over 10 years as I make my own from charts.
For the last few years it has been necessary to purchase the charts.

Come to think of it PPs are a part of the information that I buy so the foregoing is not accurate but I have never used that info.

gm10
06-27-2008, 08:36 AM
I assume that Trakus is some type of radio or RFID system. Sounds good. The problem is that they are not simply "not 100%" accurate, after reviewing a few hundred videos, they are simply terrible in accuracy, scale (track to track), etc. I can't beleive they are being sold as even near "factual" level to the public, seems to be a misrepresentation of a product or service. Think I'll stick to final times and speed handicapping until pace can be assessed properly.

Well I disagree. I think they are good. Trakus (your assumption about them is correct) will make them very good.

If you stick to final times you are basically saying that you will be using the same info as 99% of the bettors. You need to be good to turn a profit if you do this.

One length more or less doesn't matter anyway. So what if the horse made up only 7 lengths and not 8 in the last 2 furlongs. Will you discount its late speed because of this? Will knowing about this one length inaccuracy give you an edge? Of course not, you will look at at least a couple of relevant races and see that the horse is capable of making up 5-10 lengths.

gm10
06-27-2008, 08:38 AM
I have not purchased any PPs in over 10 years as I make my own from charts.
For the last few years it has been necessary to purchase the charts.

Come to think of it PPs are a part of the information that I buy so the foregoing is not accurate but I have never used that info.

you are missing out on workout information, etc
I am not saying this is insurmountable, but it doesn't help

Tom
06-27-2008, 09:24 AM
Where can you get the Woodbine Trakus info?
Is it in the charts on their website?

kriskro
06-27-2008, 04:06 PM
Trakus requires registration (currently free) at trakus.com.

Tracks included are Woodbine (tbred & sbred), Keeneland, Del Mar, & Mohawk(sbred)