PDA

View Full Version : Eliminate XP Login?

Sinner369
06-25-2008, 01:11 PM
Guys: Is there a way for me to eliminate the Windows XP login?

I am the only one using the computer so no need for me to login?

Thanks!

headhawg
06-25-2008, 01:21 PM
If you only have one user account created not including the built-in administrator account XP should log you on automagically. I'm pretty sure that behavior is true whether or not you have the Welcome screen on or off.

Did you create more than one user during the install? You can see how many users are created/enabled by going to the Computer Management console (Rt. click on My Computer -->Properties-->Manage) and looking at the Local Users and Groups section. There's a container called Users which will give you that info.

bigmack
06-25-2008, 02:16 PM
Click Start and Run
Type "Control Userpasswords2" and press enter.
Uncheck the box for "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer."
Click Apply and Ok.

Tom
06-25-2008, 02:17 PM
I've never logged onto my SP, on either machine.
I am the sole user.

Sinner369
06-25-2008, 02:48 PM
Guys:

Followed bigmack suggestion but another window login appeared "aspnet" is the name and is asking for a password.............cannot get in........now what????

I am currently using my laptop.

headhawg
06-25-2008, 03:11 PM
Try typing in 'administrator' (no quotes) in the user field of the logon screen with no password.

Or your username would work as well. I'm assuming no password here as well; otherwise, type that in along with your username.

Sinner369
06-25-2008, 03:26 PM
headhawg:

Got into the computer......now what???

Please help?

Tom
06-25-2008, 03:53 PM
Did he just set the password as "administrator?"

Should he have just hit <enter>?

...write down administrator just in case.

DJofSD
06-25-2008, 03:57 PM
Go to the MicroSoft Windows XP download web site and find Power Toys which contains a tool set bundled as TweakUI.

Make sure you have the .NET patches.

Install the TweakUI and run it. In the left pane, click on Logon to expand it then select Autologon. Fill in the field for user name, click OK. Done.

Next time you boot up, Windows should automatically log on using the user account you used above.

Sinner369
06-25-2008, 04:57 PM
Thanks Guys.........everything fixed!!!

You're right.......entered as Administrator and adjusted the user passwords!

I guess I'm a horseplayer......not a computer geek!

Anyways, thanks again.