PDA

View Full Version : More proof horse racing is a joke

cj
06-25-2008, 11:24 AM
http://www.drf.com/news/article/95769.html

A few tidbits:

Trainer Rick Dutrow has appealed a 15-day suspension from the Kentucky stewards after one of his horses, Salute the Count, tested positive for an excessive amount of clenbuterol following a Grade 3 stakes race on the May 2 Kentucky Oaks undercard at Churchill Downs.

Trainer Rick Dutrow has appealed a 15-day suspension from the Kentucky stewards after one of his horses, Salute the Count, tested positive for an excessive amount of clenbuterol following a Grade 3 stakes race on the May 2 Kentucky Oaks undercard at Churchill Downs.

the level of clenbuterol in a urine sample taken from Salute the Count to be twice the permissible, or threshold, limit of 41 petagrams per milliliter

Dutrow has amassed many medication violations during a training career that dates to 1979.

15 days for his MANYth violation. Nice sport.

RichieP
06-25-2008, 11:36 AM
:lol::lol:

john del riccio
06-25-2008, 02:46 PM
Once BIG BROTHER steps in, this ain't gonna be pretty.

I cant understand this at all. 15 days ? I thought tampering with the
outcome of a pari-mutuel event was a felony ?

John

matthewsiv
06-25-2008, 09:57 PM
He should get 12 months.

bigmack
06-25-2008, 10:07 PM
I thought tampering with the outcome of a pari-mutuel event was a felony ?
Victims' rights groups could have a field day with this larceny. Multi-offending trainer with twice the allowable limit gets 15-days to simply put in an assistant?

How should I put this: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Kelso
06-25-2008, 11:50 PM
Wonder if this is why he skipped out on his invitation from the Congresscreeps. Didn't want to expose himself to a perjury rap for answering "no" to the question "have you stopped doping horses?"

Tom Barrister
06-26-2008, 01:21 AM
Maybe Dutrow forgot and accientally gave it to the horse twice, or maybe there was a mixup, and two differnet people gave the drug to the horse.

Yes, that's it.

Oh, and don't forget to mail your Christmas wish list to Santa Claus soon. Everybody knows that the ones who mail early get all the good presents under the tree.

ddog
06-26-2008, 01:28 AM
Whaaaaaaaaaat????

We needed more "proof"? still?

I don't think so!

:lol:

startngate
06-26-2008, 09:28 AM
15 days for his MANYth violation. Nice sport.Uh, this was one violation, not many, and he was penalized as such. It was also an overage of a legal med, not a banned substance, and there's a BIG difference in my book.Dutrow has amassed many medication violations during a training career that dates to 1979.Although it might appear this way, my post isn't really to defend Dutrow. Everyone seems to be questioning the penalty of 15 days. What he was accused of was a first time offense in Kentucky of an overage of a legal raceday medication. Kentucky probably has a standard fine/suspension package for that kind of violation, and any other trainer accused of the same thing would have been in the same boat.

But since you seem to want to hang him, maybe you should read this regarding his violations:

http://cristblog.drf.com/crist/2008/06/bad-rap-sheet.html

According to Crist, here are how his medication violations break down:"It appears the correct number of medication rulings is 13, not 72: six Bute overages, four Lasix overages, two for clenbuterol, and the mepivicaine positive (two horses, one case) for which he was suspended 90 days in 2005."So sum total, it looks like he's been busted ONCE for using a banned substance (mepivicaine), the rest appear to be overages, just like the one announced yesterday in Kentucky.

I agree with Crist "This is not a record worthy of consideration for the Exemplar Of Racing Award" but everyone seems to want to totally hang a guy that is, based on the facts, really no worse than probably 95% of the trainers out there. Not that this is a good thing, mind you.

Oh, and where is the outrage for Steve Asmussen who got busted for lidocaine (a banned substance) yesterday? I haven't seen any posts jumping down his throat yet.

http://news.bloodhorse.com/article/45878.htm
I cant understand this at all. 15 days ? I thought tampering with the outcome of a pari-mutuel event was a felony? In some States it is, but that's not what he was found guilty of, and the Stewards can't press felony charges anyway. That would have to come from the Kentucky AG's office, as it's a crimial offense.

Don't get me wrong, drugs are a problem in our sport. If I had it my way then all race day meds would be banned. And I'd also be in favor of pre-race testing and fair (but tough) punishments for violations.

IMO in this case (and any other) fair is giving the guilty party the same sentence that anyone else would get for the same offense, irregardless of who the offender is, or how good their lawyers are.

DJofSD
06-26-2008, 09:57 AM
Victims' rights groups could have a field day with this larceny. Multi-offending trainer with twice the allowable limit gets 15-days to simply put in an assistant?

I guess that would make the race officials enablers. Must be a co-dependent relationship. Not healthy.

DJofSD
06-26-2008, 10:00 AM
Wonder if this is why he skipped out on his invitation from the Congresscreeps. Didn't want to expose himself to a perjury rap for answering "no" to the question "have you stopped doping horses?"

At the risk of belaboring a mute point, those were hearings not testimony. I don't recall any one being sworn in.

Javagold
06-26-2008, 10:49 AM
what i have learned about the publics distaste of Dutrow and lack of concern for Assmussen is if you are going to have a bunch of skeletons in your closet, either be a humble man, act as of one of the common folks, talk real nice and slow at all times and/or stay way under the radar, otherwise the mob will want to stone you until your last breath.......Dutrow tried to bluff and boast his way thru the spotlight, he probably knows no other way, but it was a house of cards and he has made his bed and now he must sleep in in, he will never be respected no matter what he does , this might have a bad ending some day.....as for Assmussen does anyone even know what he looks like :confused:

TheGhost
06-26-2008, 10:53 AM
Once BIG BROTHER steps in,we going to see some certain big trainers stop winning so much.

DJofSD
06-26-2008, 11:16 AM
Once BIG BROTHER steps in,we going to see some certain big trainers stop winning so much.

I think this would be a good thing. I don't relish the Feds getting involved but at this point I believe it is the only way out.

Having a level playing field for both the trainers and the handicappers can only lead to better things down the road. Maybe, just maybe, with a more level playing field there will be larger fields.

Shenanigans
06-26-2008, 11:27 AM
I think most of the racing jurisdictions are going to finally crack down. There has been too many of these trainers that get positives that the public never hear about. They get a small fine and are sent on their way. I was just thinking how Louisiana and Texas are very lenient with their drug positive trainers - it's nice to see Texas is finally cracking down on Asmussen.

Tom
06-26-2008, 11:51 AM
What is needed is a third party organization that does the testing post the reuslts - to the public as well.

Many industries have to submit to third party organiztions for audits of how they do business....racing is crying for that. EVERY postive should be public kowledge and what was done about it.

PaceAdvantage
06-27-2008, 01:26 AM
as for Assmussen does anyone even know what he looks like :confused:Surely you jest...

PaceAdvantage
06-27-2008, 01:31 AM
I have a question:

If you assume Dutrow did this deliberately, and it wasn't an accident, why in the world would he think he could get away with it, especially if the horse in question were to win the race. Aren't all winners tested?

Was he hoping he would finish second and that they wouldn't test his horse?

This isn't some new designer drug we're talking about here that nobody has a test for....

And given the fact he was sitting on Big Brown at the time, it makes no sense that he would deliberately risk getting caught.

That's why I don't necessarily buy into the hype that this was a deliberate act. Then again, it's just as tough to buy many of the other explanations out there, of which there are many.

Burls
06-27-2008, 01:36 AM
as for Assmussen does anyone even know what he looks like :confused:http://drf.com/images/asmussen_350x220_062808.jpg

JustRalph
06-27-2008, 05:05 AM
that is not an accurate photo.............. I don't see the gobs of money coming out of his pockets?

DJofSD
06-27-2008, 08:55 AM
JR, the bucks are in the saddle bags.

SmartyMarty
06-27-2008, 09:55 AM
sad that Crist has ta do homework for board deep thinkers....

I suppose that's why we gots so many innocent folks in the cooler..

Joe Punters of this world don't seem TOOOOoooooo bright..

garyoz
06-27-2008, 10:20 AM
sad that Crist has ta do homework for board deep thinkers....

I suppose that's why we gots so many innocent folks in the cooler..

Joe Punters of this world don't seem TOOOOoooooo bright..

Yeah, the keeping putting money into an 18% + takeout in a game that is dominated by cheating trainers and vets.

Shenanigans
06-27-2008, 11:16 AM
I have a question:

If you assume Dutrow did this deliberately, and it wasn't an accident, why in the world would he think he could get away with it, especially if the horse in question were to win the race. Aren't all winners tested?

Was he hoping he would finish second and that they wouldn't test his horse?

This isn't some new designer drug we're talking about here that nobody has a test for....

And given the fact he was sitting on Big Brown at the time, it makes no sense that he would deliberately risk getting caught.

That's why I don't necessarily buy into the hype that this was a deliberate act. Then again, it's just as tough to buy many of the other explanations out there, of which there are many.

It's called pushing his luck. A lot of trainers do it and get away with it. The horse metabolizes it well and they don't get caught, or the masking agent they use works well. This time it wasn't the case.
Here's a little food for thought also: Maybe Dutrow isn't too concerned with getting caught. Why should he? He's slapping $100,000 to win on the horse, if he gets nailed, he can afford the fine and wouldn't mind taking a 15 day vacation to spend his winnings.;)