PDA

View Full Version : More being "used"

46zilzal
06-24-2008, 12:21 PM
‘He Should Never Have Gone to Iraq’

More borderline troops are being sent to the front, sometimes with tragic results.

By Dan Ephron / Newsweek

Pvt. David Dietrich had a history of cognitive problems. He struggled in boot camp at Fort Knox, Ky., striking at least one of his superiors as unfit for the military. Dietrich was so slow at processing new things, some fellow soldiers called him Forrest Gump. His squad leader, Pfc. Matthew Berg, says Dietrich couldn't hit targets on the rifle range and had trouble retaining information. "He was very strong physically, but mentally he wasn't really all there," Berg says. Recruited as a cavalry scout, one of the toughest specialties in the Army, Dietrich seemed to lack the essential skills for the job: concentration, decisiveness and the ability to move around without being noticed. He was sent for psychological evaluations at least twice, yet somehow Dietrich advanced—from Fort Knox to Germany and on to Iraq in November 2006. Eight weeks later, at 21, Dietrich was killed by a sniper while conducting reconnaissance from an abandoned building in Ramadi.

What was a guy like Dietrich doing in the military? At a time when an overstretched Army is sending into combat thousands of soldiers who once would have been considered mentally or physically unfit for duty, his story illuminates the complexities and human cost of the war—and shows how hard it is to find the line between tragic circumstances and military misconduct.

Dietrich's problems did not surface on enlistment tests. In Iraq, it's unclear whether his cognitive issues had something to do with his death. Yet his superiors had serious misgivings about the troubled soldier. One of them says he worried that Dietrich would pose a danger to himself and others if he was sent to Iraq and pushed to have him processed out of the military—only to be rebuffed by higher-ups. In conversations with NEWSWEEK, he asked not to be named for fear of jeopardizing his Army career. Berg, the squad leader, says he is speaking publicly because he feels partially responsible for Dietrich's death. "The Army was under a lot of pressure to graduate scouts at the time, and even now … no matter how competent or incompetent," Berg says.

PaceAdvantage
06-25-2008, 01:44 AM
You mean to tell me that not every soldier on the front lines is a MENSA member? I'm shocked to hear this!

I thought you had to have a minimum 142 IQ in order to join the armed forces. My illusions are now shattered....

Damn you 46zilzal....damn you to hell! :lol:

Tom
06-25-2008, 07:32 AM
Would a mensa soldier have seen a sniper?

This continual posting of isolated incidents shows a lack of objectivity and severe thought bias. Neither says much for the poster.

But as Beavis and Butthead would say to PA ,"heh, hehe, heh....You said 46 and IQ in the same post! heh, heh, heh, heh."

ddog
06-25-2008, 10:23 AM
One can laugh and bluster this kind of stuff away OVER HERE.

In general, when you have to depend on the dog on either side of you to have your back, you would want a "normal" level of competence on either side.

IF this guy was as bad a shape as stated , there are plenty of slots to fill besides scout.

pktruckdriver
06-25-2008, 10:46 AM
Apparently bashing the poster here is more fun than really understanding what is being said.

1. If you are in the service you should have the right to have the person who has your back to be of sound mind.

2. In combat you need to count on your team members, your life is on the line.

3. Now is there jobs for this person in the service, yes I'm sure there was, but not in the front lines, where others depended on you and your judgements.

4. This goes to show how much this government really cares about its soldiers, very little.

Tom
06-25-2008, 10:58 AM
You two are assuming he was incapable, but nothing in the post says that.
There was an officer's opinon, but no facts. I ask again, would a smarter guy have not been hit by a sniper?

The post was made as a slurr on our military and everyone here knows it.
Except maybe you two. I really understand what 46 was saying.

Lefty
06-25-2008, 11:28 AM
And we're still waiting for Murtha's apology. The Marines he called murderers have been exonerated.
zilly just loves to post anything neg he can find about our military, Bush or cops. He's a hater pure and simple. All one has to do is read his posts. Not much about Iraq these days in the media because casualties are way down and we're winning. The NY Times has admitted as much.

lsbets
06-25-2008, 11:36 AM
I'm not sure of the exact GT (aptitude test) requirement for the 19D MOS (cav scout), but I know that all of the combat arms MOSs fall into the upper half. The waivers granted for people whose scores fall below the requirements get slots to serve as cooks and other such MOSs. If his intelligence was too low to get in and he needed a waiver, he would not have been granted one to be a cav scout, they would have made him a cook. Now, if he had other issues which later surfaced - be they disciplinary or mental, that is another issue. To chapter a soldier out for disciplinary issues requires a long paper trail. Without it, it is impossible to get the discharge - the JAG attorneys won't let it happen, an OTH discharge creates some pretty hefty baggage for someone later in life. A lot of evidence is required to do it. If the soldier had mental problems, well, the military is government healthcare at its finest. If the soldier had issues that made him unable to function in the field, it would have been the responsibility of his first line supervisor and everyone up the chain to his company commander and first sergeant to give him a different assignment pending a resolution of the issue. It has nothing to do with the government caring about the troops or anything else like that- sometimes shit happens because it happens, and sometimes shit happens because one or more people failed to do what they should have. The military is a bureaucracy, and aside from fighting is not very good at doing anything else, just like the rest of government.

boxcar
06-25-2008, 01:13 PM
But as Beavis and Butthead would say to PA ,"heh, hehe, heh....You said 46 and IQ in the same post! heh, heh, heh, heh."

An oxymoron if there ever was one. :D

Boxcar

JustRalph
06-25-2008, 02:32 PM
"Apparently bashing the poster here is more fun than really understanding what is being said."

He should have been home "driving a truck" Huh?