PDA

View Full Version : Have you seen BB's hind shoe?

joanied
06-23-2008, 03:05 PM
http://i25.tinypic.com/2rgkylw.jpg

Now that would be enough to hurt him while he tried running...all that work on his front feet, they didn't check the hind shows? geeze.

onefast99
06-23-2008, 04:17 PM
It is not uncommon for a horse to lose a shoe during a race. We lost a shoe two years ago in an allowance race and still won. The shoes are checked by the trainer and I am sure Ian checked them also. I dont know if that alone caused him some pain and he just stopped running, but it may have. Good work on the pic!

MONEY
06-23-2008, 04:26 PM
I was going to stay out of the Big Brown threads since I didn't bet the Belmont. But my sister called me before the race & told not to bet Big Brown, because she noticed the he had a loose shoe.

Money

njcurveball
06-23-2008, 04:37 PM
. But my sister called me before the race & told not to bet Big Brown, because she noticed the he had a loose shoe.

Money

I noticed a guy on the grassy paddock knoll fiddling with the back shoe. I had a home movie of it, but the FBI came and took it away after the race :lol:

MONEY
06-23-2008, 04:55 PM
I noticed a guy on the grassy paddock knoll fiddling with the back shoe. I had a home movie of it, but the FBI came and took it away after the race :lol:
Very Funny.
But nothing here about any conspiracy.
Just some good eyesight.:ThmbUp:

Money

Tom Barrister
06-23-2008, 05:29 PM
Now let's get this straight.

The horse had a loose shoe during the race.....and Dutrow didn't notice it at any time after the race? It certainly never came up in the press until recently.

Congratulations Mr. Dutrow: you win the "Most Boneheaded Horseman of the Month" award.

46zilzal
06-23-2008, 05:33 PM
If I had a dollar for each shoe that went flying in the air at the break, from the eventual winner in that race, I would have a tidy sum by seasons's end. I collect them and give them to kids who come down to watch the start are there are lots of them lying around.

PaceAdvantage
06-23-2008, 05:36 PM
Now let's get this straight.

The horse had a loose shoe during the race.....and Dutrow didn't notice it at any time after the race? It certainly never came up in the press until recently.

Congratulations Mr. Dutrow: you win the "Most Boneheaded Horseman of the Month" award.Dutrow did notice something wrong with the shoe after the Belmont. It was mentioned in the press right after the Belmont that Dutrow said that BB had a "spread shoe," whatever that means. You can see mention of a "loose shoe" in this AP article dated the day after the Belmont:

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jKV35BwoR2B1pWBBPzL5Nxe5Sk2gD9164LD80

Dutrow continues to say this now, and Dutrow himself is not blaming the shoe:

http://news.bloodhorse.com/article/45846.htm

PaceAdvantage
06-23-2008, 05:37 PM
If I had a dollar for each shoe that went flying in the air at the break, from the eventual winner in that race, I would have a tidy sum by seasons's end. I collect them and give them to kids who come down to watch the start are there are lots of them lying around.Must be those shoddy blacksmiths up north....(get it....shoddy....:lol: )

joanied
06-23-2008, 06:33 PM
If I had a dollar for each shoe that went flying in the air at the break, from the eventual winner in that race, I would have a tidy sum by seasons's end. I collect them and give them to kids who come down to watch the start are there are lots of them lying around.

Well then, guess we have a lot of pretty bad farriers :eek:

joanied
06-23-2008, 06:34 PM
Dutrow did notice something wrong with the shoe after the Belmont. It was mentioned in the press right after the Belmont that Dutrow said that BB had a "spread shoe," whatever that means. You can see mention of a "loose shoe" in this AP article dated the day after the Belmont:

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jKV35BwoR2B1pWBBPzL5Nxe5Sk2gD9164LD80

Dutrow continues to say this now, and Dutrow himself is not blaming the shoe:

http://news.bloodhorse.com/article/45846.htm

Thanks, PA...now I don't have to type all that...you just did:jump:

Shenanigans
06-23-2008, 06:43 PM
Very interesting that the diagonal shoe of the quarter cracked hoof was twisted partially off.;)

joanied
06-23-2008, 06:48 PM
It is not uncommon for a horse to lose a shoe during a race. We lost a shoe two years ago in an allowance race and still won. The shoes are checked by the trainer and I am sure Ian checked them also. I dont know if that alone caused him some pain and he just stopped running, but it may have. Good work on the pic!

Yes, LOST a shoe is different than running on a shoe that's loose, maybe with a nail poking his sole...if the shoe had come completely off, that would be a none issue...but to be flopping around during a race...now, that would be an issue.

The pic...thanks 99...but five minutes after I posted it, everyone and their grandma had it;)
By the way...it IS a hell of a shot!!

njcurveball
06-23-2008, 07:46 PM
Very Funny.
But nothing here about any conspiracy.
Just some good eyesight.:ThmbUp:

Money

Does she work for Dutrow? PLEASE do not tell me she saw this on TV. :faint:

asH
06-23-2008, 08:28 PM
http://i25.tinypic.com/2rgkylw.jpg

Now that would be enough to hurt him while he tried running...all that work on his front feet, they didn't check the hind shows? geeze.

isnt that a bend... are bends tacked around the whole shoe?

PaceAdvantage
06-23-2008, 09:17 PM
That shoe is rotated about 180 degrees, is it not?

Shenanigans
06-24-2008, 08:16 AM
isnt that a bend... are bends tacked around the whole shoe?

It's the back part of the shoe and it should not be hanging like that.

Shenanigans
06-24-2008, 08:19 AM
That shoe is rotated about 180 degrees, is it not?

You mean backwards?? No, it's just the back right part that is loose. According to Dutrow and owner, the shoe wasn't loose when the horse got back to the barn only spread. He must have stepped on the nail and reattached it.

onefast99
06-24-2008, 08:19 AM
The shoe is the undoing of BB. He will be 1-5 at Monmouth for the Haskell and unless he has another shoe issue he will win quite easily. Just like the first two legs of the triple crown the question will be who runs second?

Shenanigans
06-24-2008, 08:22 AM
The shoe is the undoing of BB. He will be 1-5 at Monmouth for the Haskell and unless he has another shoe issue he will win quite easily. Just like the first two legs of the triple crown the question will be who runs second?

This is one time I agree with Dutrow - that back loose shoe had nothing to do with BB's poor performance.

joanied
06-24-2008, 09:55 AM
This is one time I agree with Dutrow - that back loose shoe had nothing to do with BB's poor performance.

It probably didn't help him, though... IMO, there is no ONE issue that caused BB's disaster...it's a combination of everything that went down that day...everything that could go wrong, did.
The only thing that I beleive didn't bother him on Belmont day was his front feet.

I am really looking forward to the Haskell :jump:

joanied
06-24-2008, 11:56 AM
Hey all... here is another photo of BB's hind shoe. This was taken after the race. I cannot imagine this loose shoe not bothering him.

http://i25.tinypic.com/20uyfqc.jpg

46zilzal
06-24-2008, 12:06 PM
Well then, guess we have a lot of pretty bad farriers
No, a lot of horses step on themselves.

botster
06-24-2008, 12:10 PM
Hey all... here is another photo of BB's hind shoe. This was taken after the race. I cannot imagine this loose shoe not bothering him.

http://i25.tinypic.com/20uyfqc.jpg

This loose she was actually reported minutes after by the broadcast team on raceday.In fact I think Kent D. was the one that reported to them, saying, that it was the only thing out of the ordinary that he could observe, but it wasn't a problem.

JBmadera
06-24-2008, 12:29 PM
doesn't bb use those special glue on shoes? if so there wouldn't be any nails and aside from that it doesn't look that loose to me, my q-horses threw shoes all the time and didn't seem to cause much trouble.

joanied
06-24-2008, 12:39 PM
No, a lot of horses step on themselves.

Zil....I was (trying) to be funny:faint:

joanied
06-24-2008, 12:45 PM
doesn't bb use those special glue on shoes? if so there wouldn't be any nails and aside from that it doesn't look that loose to me, my q-horses threw shoes all the time and didn't seem to cause much trouble.

The glue on's are just his front feet. Nail shoes on the hind.

QH's go 1/4 mile (more or less)...probably wouldn't be an issue at that distance...and the thing is, BB did'nt throw it...it stayed on. Throwing it and running on a bare foot would have been better for him.

trigger
06-24-2008, 01:11 PM
To me, the loose shoe on BB would be like a human miler trying to run a race with one flip-flop on....has to have an adverse affect on performance.

joanied
06-24-2008, 01:32 PM
To me, the loose shoe on BB would be like a human miler trying to run a race with one flip-flop on....has to have an adverse affect on performance.

:ThmbUp: Exactly:ThmbUp: (as I said...throwing it would have been better...I'd rather run with a bare foot, than a flip-flop)

onefast99
06-24-2008, 02:09 PM
The glue ons are on the front, we run one horse exactly like that and Ian did his glue ons due to some hoof issues. I think the shoe did bother him a lot. The track temperature was well over 100 degrees, no water as the water truck was empty and as he is fighting Kent it seems as something is bothering him so the shoe had to be it. I dont agree with Dutrow on this one. Great 2nd pic of that shoe Joanied.

tmh
06-24-2008, 04:31 PM
reply to joanied, this is not big brown in your picture. notice from the previous pictures that they have black tape on the bandage and this horses foot is white compaired to bb'b being black. there are some really good photos on the bloodhorse sight. shows bb getting stepped on after leaving the gate. check them out!

joanied
06-24-2008, 05:50 PM
The glue ons are on the front, we run one horse exactly like that and Ian did his glue ons due to some hoof issues. I think the shoe did bother him a lot. The track temperature was well over 100 degrees, no water as the water truck was empty and as he is fighting Kent it seems as something is bothering him so the shoe had to be it. I dont agree with Dutrow on this one. Great 2nd pic of that shoe Joanied.

99... I agree with you too...that shoe had to bother BB, and I mentioned that kent had no business having BB out in the middle of that deep, dry track...plus the other stupid things he did at the break.
I can't understand why Dutrow doesn't think that loose shoe bothered the horse.

Yeah...got kinda lucky finding that photo...it sure tells a lot....ya know...one picture is worth a 1,000 words!!

joanied
06-24-2008, 06:06 PM
Here ya go everyone... use this link and at the bottom of the story there's a place to click to see a slide show of BB's hind foot. These slides really show what the horse had to endure...

http://news.bloodhorse.com/article/45856.htm (http://news.bloodhorse.com/article/45856.htm)

Shenanigans
06-24-2008, 06:22 PM
Now Dutrow changes his mind.:rolleyes: Can't he just admit he didn't have the horse ready for the big race? That is what caused him to flounder. Not a bent shoe. The man is becoming more and more pathetic.:rolleyes:

joanied
06-24-2008, 10:07 PM
reply to joanied, this is not big brown in your picture. notice from the previous pictures that they have black tape on the bandage and this horses foot is white compaired to bb'b being black. there are some really good photos on the bloodhorse sight. shows bb getting stepped on after leaving the gate. check them out!

Yes, I posted the link for the bloodhorse slide show.
I'm sorry, tmh...but not sure:confused: what photo you are referring to..the photos in this thread are all of BB's foot...

PaceAdvantage
06-25-2008, 02:01 AM
You mean backwards?? No, it's just the back right part that is loose. According to Dutrow and owner, the shoe wasn't loose when the horse got back to the barn only spread. He must have stepped on the nail and reattached it.Oopps....I meant 90 degrees, not 180....but now that I look at it closer, I see what's going on and the illusion I thought I saw there for a moment....

PaceAdvantage
06-25-2008, 02:07 AM
Now Dutrow changes his mind.:rolleyes: Can't he just admit he didn't have the horse ready for the big race? That is what caused him to flounder. Not a bent shoe.How can you be so sure? Are you letting your disdain for Dutrow cloud your better judgement on what may have caused his poor run? Not having a horse ready for a big race only three weeks after two big prior efforts would lead to a horse getting beat by a couple of lengths, like Smarty Jones, Funny Cide, even Sunday Silence....it wouldn't lead to what we saw midway on the turn for home....that was a lot more than simply being a work or two short....

PaceAdvantage
06-25-2008, 02:09 AM
All this talk about no water.....I was there....I seem to recall a water truck passing by the FAR OUTSIDE fence after almost EVERY race, beeping its horn, and spraying those folks standing at the rail with water....

The plot thickens....

sammy the sage
06-25-2008, 07:06 AM
There's ALWAY'S an excuse!

slewis
06-25-2008, 11:35 AM

Zil,

The approximate truth is, you may have 2 or 3 lost per day on an entire race card, and from those 2 or 3, your odds of it being a winner is very slim.
Trust me, I watch em' go to the paddock... and back to the barn.

But you're main idea is correct. I've bet horses back that threw shoes in races that I actually saw were missing last race... and guess what......
I ripped up tickets 98% of the time. Bad betting angle.
For those that want a good betting angle.....
On a horse that had reasonable figure to be competitive in a race.....
Watch when they show a horse (in the paddock stall) getting a loose shoe re-nailed by the track blacksmith or a new shoe nailed on.
If the horse is acting very unruly, AND ONLY IF HE"S ACTING UNRULY...TAKE A NOTE ON YOUR PROGRAM.
Next: HOPE THE HORSE RUNS POORLY, the worse, the better (tou;ll get a better price next time out).
Follow the next time he's entered and look for a maintenance work prior to the upcoming race and after the "re-shod" debacle.
Take your wife to a nice restaurant....