PDA

View Full Version : Should the mean an end to Racing??

beenacoach
06-22-2008, 01:19 AM
Tragedy Strikes On the Track (http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/8269208?MSNHPHCP&GT1=39002)

NHRA's Scott Kalitta, two-time Top Fuel champion, dies after fiery crash (http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/8269208?MSNHPHCP&GT1=39002)

Maybe there should be some congressional hearings about safety in this racing sport or maybe just stop it all together.

Just saying that knee jerk reactions are seldom wise.

garyoz
06-22-2008, 03:03 AM
In auto racing, the only animal involved is supposedly a rational one with free will, unlike horses. Bad analogy.

Right now, The Drudgereport has a headline "More Death at the Track: Jockey Hurt, Horse Euthanized at Churchill Downs...." with a link to a Yahoo News Story:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080621/ap_on_sp_ot/rac_jockey_injured

The story really isn't that unusual---shattered Sesmoid and jockey has minor injuries in the spill. In this case the Trainer is Steve Asmussen--never any controversy about his methods.

Not good---both Yahoo writing the story and Drudge carrying it, with the incredible traffic to his site--indicates the topic still has legs.

Tom
06-22-2008, 11:12 AM
NASCAR must install poly!!!!!!:mad:

Look at Santa anita, it has already has the asphalte in it! :lol:

Cangamble
06-22-2008, 11:25 AM
In auto racing, the only animal involved is supposedly a rational one with free will, unlike horses. Bad analogy.

Right now, The Drudgereport has a headline "More Death at the Track: Jockey Hurt, Horse Euthanized at Churchill Downs...." with a link to a Yahoo News Story:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080621/ap_on_sp_ot/rac_jockey_injured

The story really isn't that unusual---shattered Sesmoid and jockey has minor injuries in the spill. In this case the Trainer is Steve Asmussen--never any controversy about his methods.

Not good---both Yahoo writing the story and Drudge carrying it, with the incredible traffic to his site--indicates the topic still has legs.

This Assmussen breakdown is a perfect opportunity for a thorough autopsy. Quincy style.
Didn't Quincy once perform an autopsy on a horse in one of the episodes? It sort of rings a bell.

Cangamble
06-22-2008, 11:34 AM
It was a jockey not a horse who had the autopsy in the Quincy episode.
Here is a review:

Quincy M.E.: Dead Last starts at a local Los Angeles race track where coroner Quincy (Jack Klugman) is trying to convince his friend Danny (Val Bisoglio) to invest in a horse called Trphy Knight with him, however it's not long before Quincy is called into action when jockey Julio Ruis (Daniel Faraldo) is found trampled to death in the stables. The prime suspect is a race horse called Blinding Light owned by Ron Henner (Joseph Sirola) who orders the animal destroyed. Back at the lab & Quincy discovers that Julio was dead before the horse trampled him & therefore it was murder, shortly after another jockey named Billy McGinn (Lou Wagner) also dies in an 'accident' involving one of Henner's horses. Quincy is convinced that Henner is responsible but has no motive or proof...

Episode 2 from season 5 this Quincy story was directed by Ray Danton & is a really good solid murder mystery that I would have given seven stars out of ten rather than six if it didn't have so much US horse race betting terminology in it that went completely over my head. This isn't the programmes fault but as someone who lives in the UK I really didn't get or understand a lot of the fine detail about the horse racing scam run by Henner, don't get me wrong though because that isn't the production teams fault since Dead Last was made for an American audience & if a few details are lost when viewed over here it's not the end of the world. It moves along at a good pace, there's an intriguing murder mystery although as I said some of Henner's plans was lost on me as a Brit. After performing an autopsy on a fish to catch a killer in An Unfriendly Radiance (1977) during season two Quincy gets to autopsy a horse here in Dead Last which Asten is predictably unhappy about. There's the usual light hearted humour mixed in with the mystery & the regular character's really shine through during this period in the show's run.

A large part of Dead Last was shot at some real race track somewhere in Los Angeles although I don't where exactly. Joseph Sirola makes the first of five guest appearances on Quincy in which he played murderers, a police Lieutenant & a DA. This episode sees a horse fall, the inside of a slaughter house & an autopsy on a horse & while none of it is graphic the animal lovers out there will still probably find something objectionable to upset them. The cheesy comedy happy ending suggests that Quincy is a jinx when it comes to betting on horses.

Dead Last is a good Quincy murder mystery episode that I gave a six rather than a seven because some of the betting & race track terminology made absolutely no sense to me but that in itself wasn't the production teams fault as it was made for a US audience who probably will understand it.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0681766/

beenacoach
06-22-2008, 12:24 PM
Ok it is a weak analogy and I knew that when I posted it.

On the other hand, it was a human life lost and not animal.

Also, my major point was that knee jerk reactions by people that don't know the facts seem to be a way of life in the country. That is exactly what we have right now in the TB racing industry. Is there need for changes? Yes. Do the loudest people right now have the answers that will work and make sense all the way around? I doubt it very much. But those are the changes that are the most likely to be made.

In my opinion changes need to be made but there is not immediate crisis and an intelligent, completely informed, and measured approach is the only way to make changes that will not just make things worse.

BUD
06-22-2008, 02:30 PM
The analogy really was not that bad...I have been at many small tracks for auto racing thruout the country and have first hand experience when parts of the car fly off the track and into the stands....Hurting the fans....In New Hampshire about 4 years ago...The hood flew off a vehicle missing me by 2-3 feet and pulverizing this poor guy.....All I got was his beer spilling all over me..

Focus on anything in life and you will find the danger...

Has a friend who would show his dogs...Got in a car accident..The dogs were in the crate....They died.....Maybe Congress should outlaw Dog shows too...

I got maimed at work....They should outlaw law enforcement jobs too...And inept Dr's..