PDA

View Full Version : Collmus or Stauffer GP 2009 (Poll)

AceRothstein
06-22-2008, 12:00 AM
As you can see. This is my first post on all sites. This is not though my first exposure to horse racing discussion boards. In fact far from it. I've been reading and enjoying this and a few other sites for quite some time. I've just never felt the need to post my opinion until now.

So here it goes.

I think Vic Stauffer should be reinstated as the announcer at Gulfstream Park.

I've certainly read enough to know that many of you are sick and tired of announcer threads. But this is different. This subject is very impotant to me as a racing fan. I am serious about sending the outcome of this poll to Gulfstream and M E C.

Let me first say that I think Larry is a good announcer who does a credible job. But I believe that Vic is much better. His calls gave so much love and passion to the horses and horsemen during his years at Gulfstfream. I miss that very much.

Just in the past few weeks his calls have been featured twice on ESPN, The Jim Rome Show and the documnetary The First Saturday in May.

Just the other night when I heard one of his calls from Hollywood Park on Sports Center I thought to myself how the heck did Gulfstream ever let him go?

So here's the question. If the announcer's job for the 2009 GP meeting was open and up for grabs, and Larry and Vic were the only two candidates---Who would you choose and why?

I know Vic has alot of friends and supporters on these boards. I'm sure they'll chime in for their man. Therefore the more people that respond the better chance for the most accurate representation of what the majority of racing fans would like to see done.

Everyone with an opinion please respond.

Remember for this poll only please choose Larry or Vic.

Thanks

Ace Rothstein

Disclaimer:I contacted Vic and asked his thoughts about me trying to get him back to Gulfstream. He said that I was free to write whatever I chose and do whatever I wanted but that he would not participate.
:ThmbUp:

njcurveball
06-22-2008, 12:25 AM
Larry! :ThmbUp:

lamboguy
06-22-2008, 01:04 AM
i like both announcers, larry is a little dry, while vic is exciting. i loved his race call on declan's moon, its a total eclipse, and the two step salsa was a great one too, because i felt good about it. why should he go back to help the people that snubbed him. eventually tampa will be the place alltogether for winter racing in florid. berube, stella thayer and the rest of the steinbrenner family seem to know what they are doing. they have nothing but gone forward with the oldsmar track. gulfsteam has taken many steps backwards, and they seem to scare people away from racing. if they spent another $96 million on their facility they would not get any new faces in the door.

JustRalph
06-22-2008, 01:26 AM
so why didn't you make it a poll?

Vic

BUD
06-22-2008, 01:44 AM
Vic:cool:

thruncy
06-22-2008, 02:50 AM
Vic for Gulfstream

Bruddah
06-22-2008, 05:45 AM
Vic would be the best choice Gulf Stream could make in any scenario. I would hope Vic would tell them H*LL NO! Gulf Stream doesn't deserve his talent. Magna and GS have become also ran's in this Sport. So why would Vic want to waste his time on them? :confused:

SAL
06-22-2008, 06:39 AM
Although I think Larry is a fine announcer, my vote goes to Vic

santanajimi
06-22-2008, 07:14 AM
LARRY IN A HEARTBEAT.....
Vic is way over the top....

ryesteve
06-22-2008, 07:16 AM
Well, if youbet was allowed to carry GP, I could listen to both and compare. Unfortunately...

broadreach
06-22-2008, 07:50 AM
Vic for sure. I like it when the favorite is back in the field, he finds it and gives a remark about how its travelling etc.

Regardless of how Magna have handled things, if they asked him back I hope he'd accept. It's a big name track and worth having on the CV.

ManeMediaMogul
06-22-2008, 08:01 AM
LARRY!

Clear, crisp, concise.

Not scripted.

Not trying to be a media darling or get on Sports Center.

It's like listening to Vin Scully or listening to those schmos that call the White Sox games.

Imriledup
06-22-2008, 08:21 AM
LARRY!

Clear, crisp, concise.

Not scripted.

Not trying to be a media darling or get on Sports Center.

It's like listening to Vin Scully or listening to those schmos that call the White Sox games.

Some think Scully is boring. Its a matter of preference. Your preference is Scully. That doesn't make the other people's preference wrong. Not everyone wants the same thing. Vic likes to have fun, is there something wrong with that?

As far as getting on sportscenter goes, any pub is good pub, if we can get on sportscenter because of a Vic call, than more power to the racing industry. Its good for the game to be on sportscenter, any exposure to this great sport is exposure that we'll gladly accept.

One last thing...if you think that Vic is 'scripted' you don't listen to his calls very often. Vic wears his heart on his sleeve, he calls races with incredible passion, he loves this game and loves what he does and it comes out in his calls...so, if that's scripted, sign me up.

Vic Stauffer. The voice of Gulfstream Park and you can put THAT on the board....YESSSSSSS!

richrosa
06-22-2008, 08:21 AM
Vic by a mile.

Vic, how come you didn't chime in yet?

onefast99
06-22-2008, 08:50 AM
Both are excellent choices, filet mignon or lobster? Larry is one of the tops in race calling. Vic is excellent also, I liked the change from Vic to Larry as it brought a nice "home town" touch to GP. I still remember the call Larry made in the Ladys Secret last year, if you get a chance listen to it, one of the best calls ever!

David-LV
06-22-2008, 09:16 AM
They are both excellent race callers.

The only problem with this poll is that it really does not matter what anybody thinks.

Magna will do what they want to do and it won't be based on any poll anywhere.

________
David

Zman179
06-22-2008, 09:46 AM
Considering that Vic and Larry are good friends, I wouldn't expect Vic to chime in any time soon.
Besides, why would anyone want to work for an apathetic entity?

v j stauffer
06-22-2008, 10:44 AM
Vic by a mile.

Vic, how come you didn't chime in yet?

I hadn't chimed in yet because this is kinda uncomfortable for me.

My heart was broken when I was asked to leave. As I stated before I hold no I'll will toward Magna or Larry. I loved my 7 years there and appreciate the great opportunity I was given.

Would I go back? Heck yes!! All I ever cared about was the horses and the racing.

I miss it very very much.

Thank you for the kind words.

VJS

Marshall Bennett
06-22-2008, 10:51 AM
I enjoy both , feel that Vic will get his old job back .

spitthebit
06-22-2008, 12:04 PM
and if vj stauffer is going to win the 2009 Gulstream Park poll on PA, he's going to have to do it from a few threads back!

I absolutely love Vic's calls, will even find myself watching races on HRTV that I have no wagering interest in, just to enjoy his call of the race. I also happen to think of Larry as my second favorite. So in my mind, fans of GP can't lose either way. Voting here for Vic. For me, GP just isn't the same without him.

Then again, GP just isn't the same in a lot of ways. Problem is with the people that run GP. So after looking at these two very good announcer options for '09, I'll predict right now that they come up with somebody totally out of left field for 'next year in keeping with their form.

cj's dad
06-22-2008, 12:08 PM
I have to ask - Has Larry's contract not been renewed for next year or is this thread speculation?

thespaah
06-22-2008, 12:41 PM
As you can see. This is my first post on all sites. This is not though my first exposure to horse racing discussion boards. In fact far from it. I've been reading and enjoying this and a few other sites for quite some time. I've just never felt the need to post my opinion until now.

So here it goes.

I've certainly read enough to know that many of you are sick and tired of announcer threads. But this is different. This subject is very impotant to me as a racing fan. I am serious about sending the outcome of this poll to Gulfstream and M E C.

Let me first say that I think Larry is a good announcer who does a credible job. But I believe that Vic is much better. His calls gave so much love and passion to the horses and horsemen during his years at Gulfstfream. I miss that very much.

Just in the past few weeks his calls have been featured twice on ESPN, The Jim Rome Show and the documnetary The First Saturday in May.

Just the other night when I heard one of his calls from Hollywood Park on Sports Center I thought to myself how the heck did Gulfstream ever let him go?

So here's the question. If the announcer's job for the 2009 GP meeting was open and up for grabs, and Larry and Vic were the only two candidates---Who would you choose and why?

I know Vic has alot of friends and supporters on these boards. I'm sure they'll chime in for their man. Therefore the more people that respond the better chance for the most accurate representation of what the majority of racing fans would like to see done.

Thanks

Ace Rothstein

Disclaimer:I contacted Vic and asked his thoughts about me trying to get him back to Gulfstream. He said that I was free to write whatever I chose and do whatever I wanted but that he would not participate.
:ThmbUp:Vic.....By a neck....Both are good callers...I prefer Vic.

Wickel
06-22-2008, 01:20 PM
VIC! More descriptive, more animated.

MickJ26
06-22-2008, 01:26 PM

So here it goes.

Thanks

Ace Rothstein

:ThmbUp:

No disrespect intended, but, Larry Collmus just sounds like one of those mellow, classic rock disc jockeys. Vic, perhaps overly melodramatic at times, wins out because he conveys the excitement of the race.

plainolebill
06-22-2008, 03:29 PM
I watch the Socal races daily and I think Vic is a fine announcer - he deserves his success. I don't bet GP so I don't know Larry, however I was surprised when Vic was let go.

I echo what many others have said that I like the way Vic brings excitement to a race.

price
06-22-2008, 04:20 PM
Both are good. Larry is more dignified...my vote is for Larry.

JustRalph
06-22-2008, 08:35 PM
put them both in an announcers booth during an earthquake and let's see how they call a race..................

Wait, Vic might have an advantage....................

Marlin
06-22-2008, 09:15 PM
Vic..HE GONE!

If anyone thinks GP would admit a mistake, if that is what you think, and ask Vic back you have been drinking too much of your own bathwater.

Both excellent announcers. It's Larry's job and Vic is out. At least as long as current management is employed. This thread is a CAN OF CORN!!!:)

Kelso
06-22-2008, 11:59 PM
As long as Colmus stays at MTH until he retires from calling, I don't much care who calls GP. His calls are clear, concise, controlled and accurate. I doubt anybody could do a better job at or for MTH.

That said, I have only recently acquired Dish TV, with access to Vic's HOL calls ... and he is excellent. Evokes images of Bob Hope and Bing Crosby stopping by for the feature race back in a more golden racing era.

sandpit
06-23-2008, 12:17 AM
Both excellent announcers. It's Larry's job and Vic is out. At least as long as current management is employed.

That's the key with Magna; everybody could get the ax tomorrow...I read the other day where the Racing Secretary quit and would be willing to bet that others up the chain might be out the door too. The diluted racing product left something to be desired the past few years.

On topic, both are fine racecallers and are a good addition to the experience.

Vic, question for you: Is it true that prior to your leaving the mgmt asked you to submit a tape of a race call if you wanted to retain your job? Not trying to start a rumor, but am pretty sure I either read or heard this from someone.

bigmack
06-23-2008, 12:47 AM
Vic's HOL calls ... and he is excellent. Evokes images of Bob Hope and Bing Crosby stopping by for the feature race back in a more golden racing era.
Nicely put.

Such pleasantness in a voice is rarely heard in broadcasting. Pleasantness lacks in today's world. It's welcome back anytime.

Somehow with VS on "The Shure" - things feel AOK in the world, while off-topic repartee points otherwise.

AceRothstein
06-23-2008, 04:01 AM
Just a heads up. At 8:00am Tues. morning I'm going to print out what's been posted and send it to Gulfstream. So If you'd like to have your voice and opinion heard please share it soon.

BTW great job with all your responses.

Thanks

Ace

v j stauffer
06-23-2008, 05:35 PM
That's the key with Magna; everybody could get the ax tomorrow...I read the other day where the Racing Secretary quit and would be willing to bet that others up the chain might be out the door too. The diluted racing product left something to be desired the past few years.

On topic, both are fine racecallers and are a good addition to the experience.

Vic, question for you: Is it true that prior to your leaving the mgmt asked you to submit a tape of a race call if you wanted to retain your job? Not trying to start a rumor, but am pretty sure I either read or heard this from someone.

There was an evaluation process when the job was opened up to new candidates prior to the 2007 season. I was offered a chance to participate. I submitted my call of Read The Footnotes winning the Fountain of Youth at GP. I did not finish in the top 50% in the ranking of the tapes that were submitted.

Zman179
06-23-2008, 05:48 PM
There was an evaluation process when the job was opened up to new candidates prior to the 2007 season. I was offered a chance to participate. I submitted my call of Read The Footnotes winning the Fountain of Youth at GP. I did not finish in the top 50% in the ranking of the tapes that were submitted.

Obviously the suits at Gulfstream had made up their mind in regards to your employment way beforehand. With some of the fantastic calls that you had there (i.e. Barbaro winning the Florida Derby), for you not to even finish in the top half is absolutely ludicrous.

Oh well, Gulfstream isn't what you would call a stable place (pardon the rotten pun.)

ManeMediaMogul
06-23-2008, 07:28 PM
Vic..HE GONE!

If anyone thinks GP would admit a mistake, if that is what you think, and ask Vic back you have been drinking too much of your own bathwater.

Both excellent announcers. It's Larry's job and Vic is out. At least as long as current management is employed. This thread is a CAN OF CORN!!!:)

NICELY DONE!

gemcity39
06-23-2008, 08:15 PM
Vic for sure, one of my favorite announcers, he at least acts enthused to be at the races for EVERY race. Larry is good, I just like Vic better.

point given
06-23-2008, 08:33 PM
Very well done - friends of VS fan club. I personally like the Tampa Bay caller though, and since thats where i took my winter tack, i am satisfied. Just like that twangy voice of his, forget his name now. A throwback , forsure.

Ace, may i suggest you load up your cell on a vic call. maybe that will suffice your need for his racecalls. Do you really think that those that emailed VS his walking papers, want him back and that 20 comments will do it :blush: Get real :rolleyes:

v j stauffer
06-24-2008, 04:09 AM
Thanks to all that shared kind words. Looking with great anticipation to this weekends Hollywood Gold Cup. So disapointed that Lava Man won't try for his 4th in a row. Should still be a great race on a great day.

larman
06-24-2008, 05:20 AM
Hands down its Vic by a furlong. Not just his great voice but his
overall enthusiasm for everything about horseracing.
By the way have we ever found out why Vic was replaced at Gulf?

JBmadera
06-24-2008, 06:29 AM
I vote for Vic. He does a great job behind the mike and I really like him when he does h-capping shows.

JB

boomman
06-24-2008, 11:28 AM
Very well done - friends of VS fan club. I personally like the Tampa Bay caller though, and since thats where i took my winter tack, i am satisfied. Just like that twangy voice of his, forget his name now. A throwback , forsure.

Ace, may i suggest you load up your cell on a vic call. maybe that will suffice your need for his racecalls. Do you really think that those that emailed VS his walking papers, want him back and that 20 comments will do it :blush: Get real :rolleyes:

point: You are referring to my friend Richard Grunder.......:)

Boomer

devilsbag
06-24-2008, 06:05 PM
Well, with no offense to either of the two candidates, I'd rather they just resurrect Ross Morton. Here are a couple of his favorite calls:

1977 Flamingo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv7AA6XxNtE

1994 Florida Derby:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OJwB5IHlV0

and one of my favorites, the 1992 Florida Derby:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlPwPAz_lvg