PDA

View Full Version : Queens Plate Advice

Zman179
06-19-2008, 10:15 PM
My friend and I will be driving into Toronto on Sunday morning and have decided to visit Woodbine. Lo and behold, our visit is falling on Queens' Plate day. Uh boy. :faint:

Since not going is not an option, what I need is a little advice from those who are in the know. I'm assuming that it is going to be super crowded and would like to know if reserved seats will be available? Will the TTC be offering expanded bus service for the Queens Plate? Anything else that I need to know?

Yer 2¢ is kindly appreciated. :ThmbUp:

46zilzal
06-19-2008, 10:27 PM
Huge crowds, most of the really good seats sold already so you will have to get there early: FREE admission, FREE parking are perks.

Beautiful walking ring on the other side of the stands surrounded by trees outside of the indoor paddock. Make sure to see the Avelino Gomez statue and or course Northern Dancer. Turf course is unique, huge, and best seen from high up in the stands.

Remember when they say "Cue up at the wicket" you know what they mean!

Make sure to go to the walking ring END of the grandstand, LOWEST level, to see the Canadian Thoroughbred Hall of Fame: a life time labor of love by a great fellow who actually wrote the book on the Queen's Plate (The Plate, A Royal Tradition), and a recent addition to the Hall of Fame himself along with Smart Strike (Curlin's sire), my friend Lou Cauz. He has things in his archive (under the grandstands) that would make your jaw drop: i.e. the program from the Man O'War/Sir Barton match race at old Kenilworth Park. If he is around, you can't miss him as he always wears a bow tie.

http://www.etobicokesports.ca/cauz.html

Cangamble
06-20-2008, 12:10 AM
I've got Lou Cauz' book. I think it was a free giveaway in the mid 80's on Plate day. Great book.

There will be a huge problem for people going to the track. The Canadian Communist Party is blocking the entrance gates. If you are thinking of driving that day, don't bother, watch the race at home.

Thekherham
06-21-2008, 11:30 PM
I was thinking about going, but I've read on the Woodbine web site that there will be pickets set up, so I am going to stay home and watch it on TV.

That's Tee kee' rahm

Zman179
06-22-2008, 09:43 AM
I read about the pickets and decided to stay away from Woodbine. I'm a union representative at the NYCTA and I'm not about to start crossing any picket lines.

Cangamble
06-22-2008, 11:20 AM
I've got my Queen's Plate analysis up on my blog. I'm calling the Hail Mary:)