PDA

View Full Version : Asking a Favor: Old Past Performance Data

conbeaute
02-26-2003, 11:04 PM
I'm very new to handicapping, first being introduced only a few years ago and never really getting my feet wet. But I've been thinking about it ever since and have read a few books on the topic. I'm currently an undergraduate student studying statistics. I hope to do a senior project involving a statistical handicapping method. I have no ambition to get rich quick, nor do I even anticipate that my methods will rival any handicapper that has been around the block a few times. (For that matter I can't imagine I will think of anything truly novel either.) BUT, I do hope that I can combine horseracing and my studies -- that's the sort of homework I like!

In order to make this happen (I'm a first semester junior) I need to accumulate a whole lot of past performance data and pair it up with results. I contacted the folks at DRF and they tell me they don't archive their information and so they couldn't help me out. The results are posted daily though, so I can cull them no problem. The only problem I have is paying $2 or so for a racecard (times however many hundred or thousands I need) when I have no intentions of betting that card. SO, I was wondering if anyone subscribes to a service that I could get their used past performance data from -- for races that have already been run?

In exchange I have little to offer other than sharing any results that are worth sharing -- any correlations or percentages that may be of interest to you serious handicappers. If anyone can help me out, let me know. I'd be more than happy to discuss the specifics of my project.

Also, out of curiousity, has anyone else embarked on such a project? What were your experiences?

Lastly, I hope I haven't turned anyone off by my outsider mentality -- I anticipate a sort of backlash from seasoned handicappers that can divine winners from the smell of the soil or something. I'm just an excited rookie, so be nice to me. :)

formula_2002
02-27-2003, 08:28 AM
conbeaute
Let me refer you to some of the excel reports in my web page.

They are yours for thr viewing and printing.

Would appreciate it if you would post your comments here.

Regards

Joe M

http://globalwinningpicks.homestead.com/GLOBALWINNINGPICKSX.html

Derek2U
02-27-2003, 08:39 AM
Your project is a fun thing, but Yes, It's been done Before, like
6 trillion times, all around the globe. But You have no chance (read that ZERO Pr) of uncovering anything useful. Of course,
thats just my 2 cents worth, but yet its still fun for a newbie
who has a few years ahead to play w/ horsey data.

so.cal.fan
02-27-2003, 10:36 AM
conbeute:
I would suggest that you start accumulating your own PP's starting now.
You don't want to have too long a memory........things have a way of changing, and it is far more productive to be current.
Just my opinion, but I have been handicapping horses on a daily basis for over 40 years, and a few of my friends at Santa Anita are some of the best handicappers in California and they all share this view.
Good luck to you, and don't let anyone discourage you!
This is a rapidly changing game, you have an ADVANTAGE in the fact that you are new and not biased.
:)

formula_2002
02-27-2003, 10:40 AM
A unique experiment

I could furnish the following, based upon over 125,000 horses in approximately 15,500 races for the years 2000 to date.

Excel files based on the following;
Race type (4)
Surface (2)
Distance (2)
A total of 16 files.

Each file will show the following for each of 75 FACTORS (speed, class, pace ect)
Number of horses
Average Final odds
Average Winning odds
Number of winners

The uniqueness would be that with the exception of Number of horses, Average Final odds, Average Winning odds and Number of winners, all items such as race type ect., will only be identified by a tag, such a “1”. Example, race types would be identified by 1,2,3 and 4.

So the 16 files will summarize over 37 million pieces of information.

Joe M

so.cal.fan
02-27-2003, 11:01 AM
con:
check this out, if you haven't already...........

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=4794

formula_2002
02-27-2003, 12:02 PM
Actually, I can increase the amount of data 9 fold, since each of the 75 factors are ranked 0 (unranked ) to 8, thereby increasing the exacta files from 16 to 144..

Joe M

conbeaute
02-27-2003, 12:38 PM
Great, it looks like I have some helping hands. I guess I shouldn't be surprised since it has been done "6 trillion" times. I'll be in touch with those individuals soon, but wanted to say thanks to everyone in advance. Years ahead of me playing with horsey numbers sounds great! Talk to you all soon.

Brian Flewwelling
03-02-2003, 01:58 AM
I have been playing with horse data for a few years and like those above suggest you should enjoy the data, since it will be a while before profit shows up.

But there is fun in the data, and it can give insights into handicapping factors.

I am a retired College instructor where i taught first-year Stats, but never got into the 'real thing'. My academic training was not in Statistics but I would be interested in discussing this with you further.

You can get the Results charts of recent races from Equibase.com and could start collecting. but that could take forever. If you pay them $15 you can subscribe and get any, or all, charts back to 1999. ($15 covers one month of unlimited access )I also have a program that may help you download the files and parse them into an Access Database.

Good LucK at the races, and have fun with the data.

Brian Flewwelling (my real name!)