PDA

View Full Version : New charting system to be implemented

cj
02-26-2003, 08:27 PM
This pasted from the Bris Handicapper's Edge:

New charting technology to debut at the Meadowlands

The digital technology that produces the precise order of finish at the end of each race will now determine the margins charted during the race, beginning Saturday night at the Meadowlands.

The Teletimer Electronic Imagining Charting System utilizes existing digital photo finish methodology combined with remote, wireless cameras at each quarter pole as well as an eighth of a mile from the finish line, which will automate the process of determining margins at each pole.

"The system is accurate to 1/1000ths of a second, with visual confirmation of all presented data," said Joel Rosenzweig, president of American Teletimer, which has been servicing the pari-mutuel industry since 1938.

CJ

Suff
02-26-2003, 09:00 PM
I always wondered why?

Why could'nt they put something in the Saddle cloth.. Something small like a RING!! That detects where it is in Relation to 8 other rings (9 horse field). That way,,, the placing and the distance from each horse would precise at ALL times,,, Not just Mile Markers or Furlong Markers. The Data is compiled and PRECISE charts are produced easy. No? Or makes to much sense?

Kentucky Bred
02-26-2003, 10:12 PM
CJ,

You have just found a piece of information that has huge implications to the way things will be bet and analyzed by the public in the future. The fact is that our current means of analyzing the actual horse race is almost PRIMITIVE by most business technology today. The is no earthly reason except profits (or survival) that we can't know EXACTLY what the times are. And not just the half mile time and the mile time, but the time at every single pole!

I am not a speed handicapper by trade but I can tell you that I respect speed. But I'm sure the speed type handicapper would be thrilled to get a much more accurate reading of the times.

This could be big for it's future implications. If our computer programming sharpies out their get the new and better info this year, we could get a jump on the competition.

Unfortunately though, once the general public gets the info and works it into their handicapping, the price goes bye-bye.

Kentucky Bred

GameTheory
02-26-2003, 10:29 PM
I would think a speed handicapper would be least thrilled with this development because they're the ones with the most accurate numbers now. Suddenly the public's info will get more accurate without any work on their part. You beat this game not by having perfect information, but by having information that is better than what most everyone else has got. And applying it wisely, of course.

PaceAdvantage
02-26-2003, 10:44 PM
GT,

Bingo!! You just said a mouthful!

But, then again, finding a new edge might be fun.... :eek:

==PA

Richard
02-28-2003, 02:56 PM
Will this developement be used ay all tracks(I know this sounds like a stupid question)?

andicap
02-28-2003, 03:31 PM
forget it. In the DRF, some thoroughbred official said it would be impractical to do this as a non-harness track. He said it was easier at the trotters because they only need 4 cameras as all the races are 1 mile (well, almost all.)
With all the different distances at the flats, the logistics would make it too difficult.

He probably means too expensive --

sq764
02-28-2003, 06:21 PM
And in reality, the only 2 tracks that have very accurate fractions (which are also broken down for raw fractions for each horse) are Meadowlands and Yonkers. They are both carried in the Sportseye (the harness equivalent of DRF)..

Once they come out with public info containing internal fractions for all harness tracks, I will need a new hobby..

cj
02-28-2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by andicap
forget it. In the DRF, some thoroughbred official said it would be impractical to do this as a non-harness track. He said it was easier at the trotters because they only need 4 cameras as all the races are 1 mile (well, almost all.)
With all the different distances at the flats, the logistics would make it too difficult.

He probably means too expensive --

I was under the impression the Big M would use this for T-breds also, I'll look into this and see what I find.

CJ

Tom
02-28-2003, 07:30 PM
Equibase will not this technology for thoroughbred races according to an article in the DRF on-line today. Reason given was that since harness is almost always one mile, the camera set would be easy, but with various distances for the t-breds, they might have to use 12 cameras. I guess that is just a differnet way of saying we don't want to spend a penny on improving our product and who cares about accuracy anyway? Pretty lame.
Where is NTRA on this issue? Perhaps they could funnel some of their energioes into actually doing something to improve the game.
Nah.....
BTW...if you haven't see the camera shots of the finished at the Big M go to their webpage and look for result chart-there is an option for the phot of the entire field and it is excellant - better than anything t-breds have ever offered for charts.

GameTheory
02-28-2003, 08:33 PM
They will do this for T-breds, but not with photo technology. It will involve transmitters or receivers carried by the horses and a GPS system. Not only will it time the race, but tell you the exact position of every horse at any point. Probably will take a few years...