PDA

View Full Version : 2 year old rookies

socantra
06-15-2008, 04:47 PM
In what month of the year do 2 year olds normally start racing at major tracks and is there a date standard for moving through the 2 furlong, 4.5 furlong dashes up to say, 6 furlong races?

Shenanigans
06-16-2008, 02:33 PM
Doesn't Keeneland have a few 2 yr old races during their April meet?

1st time lasix
06-16-2008, 02:49 PM
The babies are already running. Keenland, Churchill, belmont, Arlington, soon Saratoga and Del mar will have races on their cards for them. I believe Churchill will soon have a card made up of ALL two year old races. Very well bred stock at the Spa in August making theri debuts.

onefast99
06-16-2008, 04:30 PM
Monmouth and Delaware has them already. Belmont had a few and I saw a few at Keeneland back in April. They are running now!

ghostyapper
06-16-2008, 04:34 PM
I always look to the sanford opening week at saratoga as the beginning of the 2yo season in regards to route runners. Those 5 furlong races at belmont rarely turn out route runners.

Afleet alex was the only recent horse that I remember who raced before july of his 2yo season that turned out to be anything.

wegoosewe
06-16-2008, 06:00 PM
while i was making a par charts for the spa i noticed early on that there is a lot of 2 year olds going 5 to 6 furlongs..about 74 races.. there has only been 10 7 furlong races. in 2 years.. (these are just the dirt stats)...only 7 races going over a mile as well..

So over 2 years:
5-6.5=74 races
7=10 races
1 mile plus:7
so looking at saratoga that were they start heavy.. then my guess would be to progress to belmont after that.
hope that helps

rastajenk
06-17-2008, 07:04 AM
I think More Than Ready started in one of those 2f or 4f early spring races, he turned out to be pretty useful. Or maybe it was Limehouse. Or both; a Pletcher horse.

The Cradle Stakes @ River Downs use to have the distinction of being the first graded stakes around two turns for juvies; it lost its grading, but still might be the first stakes going long (Labor Day). So the progression from sprints to longer races occurs fairly quickly through the summer.