PDA

View Full Version : California Weight Issues Continue

Observer
02-26-2003, 04:23 PM
Kona Gold has been declared from the San Carlos because of the weights assigned. I can see the point about Disturbingthepeace only being assigned 116 .. but I thought the four-pound shift in weights between Avanzado and Kona was fair .. Kona will be losing three pounds while Avanzado will pick up one from their meeting in the Palos Verdes.

Obviously Kona isn't the same horse he was in the past .. so I do agree with Headley that they can't continue to use his reputation from years ago to weight him now as a 9-year-old .. but I also know Headley has been complaining about Kona's weight for several years .. this time I think there is a bit of merit.

Kona Gold (http://racing.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=14284)

cj
02-26-2003, 05:56 PM
I do agree this time Observer, the shift should have probably been a little bigger.

But from the racing secretary's point of view, one bad race does not mean a horse is finished. He won two races back and ran very well in the BC before that. Just playing devil's advocate. These guys have a no-win job.

Maybe all this can eventually lead to level weights for stakes races!

CJ

Observer
02-26-2003, 06:46 PM
And I'll agree with you cj, that the job of assigning weights is absolutely a no-win situation .. there will generally always be someone not happy.

However, going to level weights for stakes races takes away from the horse that is clearly inferior. At least in handicaps there is some kind of break awarded to the seemingly less capable, less talented runners.

Okay, so maybe those less capable, less talented runners shouldn't be in the race anyway .. but then just who is supposed to fill out the body of the field so there is actually a race that occurs?? The only one to benefit from level weights would be whoever the highweight was going to be if the race was a handicap.

With the exception of the big races that everyone points to anyway, where the best runners are sure to want to be, that's one thing .. but I just don't want to see everything go to level weights.

And yes, Kona Gold did win two back .. but it was not an impressive win .. it was a struggle .. though what was impressive was his determination and the way he skimmed the rail. The old man does still have it .. just not quite like he used to.

His last three wins have come:
Jan. 1, 2003 - El Conejo
Jun. 2, 2002 - Los Angeles
Jul. 22, 2001 - Bing Crosby

That's a long time between trips to the winner's circle .. hardly championship material. (In 2002, he only recorded 3 starts). His Bing Crosby win capped a seven-race win streak .. and that race was his first since Apr. 1, 2001.

cj
02-26-2003, 06:50 PM
Like I said, I agree about Kona Gold.

Also, good points on the level weights, I do digress.

CJ

superfecta
02-26-2003, 11:51 PM
Does anyone have the win % of the highweight horse in stakes races?I seem to have read that the highest weight horse wins more than normal.Except for juvenile fillies?Anyone know for sure?