PDA

View Full Version : MNR Race 2, WTF?

KMS
06-14-2008, 09:50 PM
7 furlongs on turf, switched to the main track. Okay, nothing unusual about that. But changed from 7f to 6f too? Do they not have a 7 furlong, or even 6.5 furlong chute? One of the big reasons for having ADW is so you can bet in advance. If MNR is going to screw up my handicapping with these these radical condition changes, I'll have to scratch them off my list of playable tracks.

Dave Schwartz
06-14-2008, 10:00 PM
My best guess would be that it had something to do with track maintenance.

Santa Anita had something like this several years ago. A pipe broke and a race was switched from dirt to turf in the last race of the day. Not sure if they changed the distance or not.

Dave Schwartz

cj
06-14-2008, 10:06 PM
I think Dave misread the post. They don't run more than 6f around one turn at Mnr due to physical limitations. I think 7f turf races are changed to 6f when on the dirt, and 7.5f turf races are switched to a mile.

Yorker
06-14-2008, 10:09 PM
It rained in western PA / northern WV panhandle all freakin day long. Of course they didn't run on the turf tonight. Both the 1st and 2nd were taken off the turf. If you are going to bet well in advance maybe you should pay attention to the weather and not blame the track for the change. Also, the program clearly states that if the race is taken off the turf it will be run at 6f on the dirt. That's the furthest they can go without taking it out to 1 mile.

I don't understand what the problem is....

KMS
06-14-2008, 10:20 PM
I don't understand what the problem is....

it's not that the race was taken off the turf. That happens at every track. It's that it went from 7f to 6f. A 16th of a mile difference I can deal with. A full furlong is a whole different animal. The online program I was looking at didn't say anything about running at 6f. I can't sit at my computer all day and usually have to bet well in advance. Lesson learned, I won't play any more MNR turf races.

njcurveball
06-14-2008, 10:26 PM
it's not that the race was taken off the turf. That happens at every track. It's that it went from 7f to 6f. A 16th of a mile difference I can deal with. A full furlong is a whole different animal. The online program I was looking at didn't say anything about running at 6f. I can't sit at my computer all day and usually have to bet well in advance. Lesson learned, I won't play any more MNR turf races.

They would need a lighted chute, which they do not have. I do not even think they have a teletimer they could use for that distance either. 7 furlongs there is around 2 turns, so why not switch it to a mile?

BillW
06-14-2008, 10:31 PM

Going to a mile would be a furlong difference too, only a furlong longer which would be a bigger deal.

KMS
06-14-2008, 10:31 PM
They would need a lighted chute, which they do not have. I do not even think they have a teletimer they could use for that distance either. 7 furlongs there is around 2 turns, so why not switch it to a mile?

Ditto. In my view 7f is more of a route than a sprint anyway. My bad for not noticing MNR's weird configuration, but I had never seen it come up before, and it hever occurred to me that they would run it a full furlong shorter.

KMS
06-14-2008, 10:34 PM
Going to a mile would be a furlong difference too, only a furlong longer which would be a bigger deal.

True, but as I said in another post, I think 7f is more of a route than a sprint, so it would make sense to extend it rather than shorten it.. Feel free to disagree, I know the general consensus is that the cutoff point for sprints is a mile. I just think differently from personal observation.

Yorker
06-14-2008, 10:36 PM
The online PPs, at least the one's I use, do not disclose the change in distances when races move from the turf to dirt. It is clear in the track program.

Mountaineer will never have a 6.5f or 7f chute, there isn't enough room.

Dave Schwartz
06-14-2008, 10:37 PM
CJ,

Oops.

:lol:

Dave

Yorker
06-14-2008, 10:37 PM
I know the general consensus is that the cutoff point for sprints is a mile.

That only applies to 1-turn mile races, not 2-turn races.

PaceAdvantage
06-15-2008, 01:12 AM
It's not unusual for a race to change distance once it is taken off the turf. For instance, a 1 1/4 mile turf race on the inner turf at Belmont will run at 1 1/8 mile on the main track (one turn, no less).

There are many other examples at other tracks as well.

KMS
06-15-2008, 01:59 AM
It's not unusual for a race to change distance once it is taken off the turf. For instance, a 1 1/4 mile turf race on the inner turf at Belmont will run at 1 1/8 mile on the main track (one turn, no less).

There are many other examples at other tracks as well.

I've seen 7 1/2f grass races bumped up to a mile on dirt pretty often. I'd just never seen a full furlong difference. Live and learn.

michiken
06-15-2008, 07:24 AM
You have to remember that MNR is shaped like an egg and not a true oval.

They would have to extend the 6f chute even further out where there probably isn't land available.

Here is a track layout. (http://www.drf.com/trackinfo/mountaineer_park.html)

RichieP
06-15-2008, 08:10 AM
I think Dave misread the post. They don't run more than 6f around one turn at Mnr due to physical limitations. I think 7f turf races are changed to 6f when on the dirt, and 7.5f turf races are switched to a mile.

Exactly what they do Cj.

ryesteve
06-15-2008, 08:45 AM
One of the big reasons for having ADW is so you can bet in advance. If MNR is going to screw up my handicapping with these these radical condition changes, I'll have to scratch them off my list of playable tracks.So are you saying that a surface change isn't going to affect your advance wagering, but a one furlong distance change will?? I don't see how you can complain about the effect of the latter and not the former.

Tom
06-15-2008, 11:39 AM
I was thinking that, too. :confused:

ldiatone
06-15-2008, 05:18 PM
mnr does not have 6 1/2 OR 7 f shute. as a matter of fact, when driving to the clubhouse one passes the start gate on your right with only the fence to separate from the road. very close. cool!
ldiatone

richrosa
06-15-2008, 10:03 PM
conditions for race 2 tonight. Always a must read for any MNR handicapper, since 70% of the races are $5k claiming races with conditions.

FOR THREE YEAR OLDS AND UPWARD. Three Year Olds, 114 lbs.; Older, 121 lbs. Non-winners of two races since April 15 Allowed 3 lbs. A race since then Allowed 6 lbs. Claiming Price $5,000. (If necessary will be run SIX FURLONGS Main Track.). Purse: $ 14,100

KMS
06-16-2008, 12:57 AM
So are you saying that a surface change isn't going to affect your advance wagering, but a one furlong distance change will?? I don't see how you can complain about the effect of the latter and not the former.

the reason is my cutoff point is 7f. I don't bet races shorter than that. You have a point about the surface switch, although I seem to do okay with that.

MAGICHORSEMAN
06-16-2008, 10:06 PM

Mountaineer actually has the lighted chute and also a bell goes off via electric also. Electric and magnets also open the gates. The starter has a push button device in his hand for every race.