PDA

View Full Version : To Hell with Dell and order #336608579

Bruddah
06-13-2008, 05:17 PM
While my thread is not on software but hardware, I felt it was best to be viewed here.

I have been in the process over the last several weeks of trying to update to a new CPU. I reluctantly decided to use Dell, because it was the only place I could find a server with XP or XP Pro. I have heard so much negative about Dell, its' products and service but since it was the only place I could get XP or XP PRO, I chose them. Also, I liked the ability to design the system the way I wanted. I placed a final order on June 6, 2008. I received all of their initial emails stating the order had been accepted and eagerly awaited an email that the order was being processed with my ship date etc. I waited and waited and waited. Finally on June 12, 2008, I contacted their service center wanting to know what the problem was. I should say, at this point, I spent a frustrating time trying to get someone to help me. Finally a nice young man with a hard to understand accent came on line. In fairness to him, I have stated here many times, I have trouble understanding accents and this was a hard to understand Middle Eastern accent. But, to the young man's credit he was very polite, courteous and I believe tried to do his job within the system, he has to work.

We came to the conclusion that the payment process never went through. I had paid with my MasterCard Debit card. He offered to set my payment up on a Dell Charge. I explained at my age and health, I didn't want to charge anything, I had plenty of Credit cards, but please take it out of my checking account. He tried several times and couldn't get it to process. I then called my bank (of 12years) to see why the purchase was not being processed. They reminded me, I had initially set a limit of $300 daily for any purchases made with the Card. A safety precaution should I lose the card. I authorized a one time purchase to Dell for that day. Dell, never processed the purchase. Noticing this the next day I called Dell again, I told them I would authorize my Bank again to process this charge, Dell failed to process it , again. I should add by this time, I have spent approx. 3.5 hours on the phone and on HOLD! (mostly with Dell) trying to make this purchase.

Now we get to the part that really ticks me off. At No point did Dell try to email me or contact me to advise me there was a problem with my order. I had to initiate all contact. I went through 3 or 4 supervisors. When being passed from one supervisor to the next, none knew the History of my complaint. Yet, each time I spoke to someone, I was on hold for extended periods while they pulled my information or updated my information.

By this time, I had weakened and pulled out my CREDIT cards. Just as I was about to use it, a rage went over me. I said to Hell with Dell, I will go to Best Buy. The thing I hate, I will be forced to purchase Vista, when I prefer XP PRO and this is the last week you can purchase it. But, It's probably best anyway because Dell can't handle simple Technology. :mad:

Dave Schwartz
06-13-2008, 06:01 PM
Wait!

Don't do %$^#&% Best Buy!

Do Costco instead. You can order on line and get a custom system from HP. You'll probably be very happy. If not, you just take it back to Costco and they will reven refund the shipping!

Dave

Bruddah
06-13-2008, 07:49 PM
Wait!

Do Costco instead. You can order on line and get a custom system from HP. You'll probably be very happy. If not, you just take it back to Costco and they will reven refund the shipping!

Dave

But no Costco in my area. :confused: Is HP offering XP? If not, I will stay with a brick and mortar store for this purchase. To me that's ironical because a good 50% of all my purchases are made on line. Anyone else have an ideas?

tupper
06-13-2008, 07:57 PM
Even though Windows is bundled with the computer, the Microsoft EULA entitles you to return the Windows disks and get a refund for them, but sometimes it is not easy: http://www.linux.com/articles/59381

Are you using any special software for handicapping or for anything else?

NY BRED
06-13-2008, 08:05 PM
If you think you had trouble, try dealing with Lenovo:bang:

But, if you are still interested in Dell, I saw various Dell models at Best Buy
and Costco

robert99
06-13-2008, 08:15 PM
XP is available on any stock machines after the MS "date".
Fujitsu etc and smaller builders are taking no notice of MS dictates and supply XP.
Get your own copy of XP off of Ebay.
Buy a second hand server off of Ebay which has XP.
Servers run best on Linux in any case - why let MS run your life?

Bruddah
06-13-2008, 08:24 PM

and Costco

just wanted factory installed XP Pro. I did not, still don't like the idea of being forced to buy Vista.

And, Yes, I use wat I consider the best Horse Racing software on the market. It fits what I like to do better than any I have used. The software designer has even graciously made additions to suit my whims. (Thanks Jeff P.) He has approved Vista and seems to like it. I have tried Vista, on a friends platform and wasn't a fan afterwards. Add, some horror stories from other Vista users and I decided to stay away for the time being.

So, I decided to give Dell a try. My conclusion is to Hell with Dell. They make you go through your A&& to scratch your nose. How hard is it to process a debit transaction in this day and age. Also, how hard is it to inform the customer a transaction didn't go through, in this day and age. Finally, I hate being on hold for ions and no one knowing my problem when I am passed off to them. All for a damn debit transaction. If Dell can't handle that Technology, I am a damn sight better off without their machine.

P.S. In my rant, I failed to mention that I had another problem Dell order just the week before. Which led to this failed attempt. These guys are really inept.

tupper
06-13-2008, 09:27 PM
It might be worth looking at a place like Newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&SubCategory=10&N=2002280010

Mwave will build/test the components you select (not sure if Newegg does this): http://www.mwave.com/mwave/buildit.hmx?updepts=computers.hmx&DNAME=Computer+Systems

Both Newegg and Mwave also offer "barebones" sytems. You just install the HD, the video card (if necessary) and the OS -- much easier than upgrading a CPU.

dlgreg
06-13-2008, 10:31 PM
I have purchased 4 computers from Puget Custom Computers.
Here is a link to them:

http://www.pugetsystems.com/configure.php?app_type=h

They still offer Windows XP Pro as an option.

ddog
06-13-2008, 10:38 PM
Do you have any local computer stores in the area around you.
A little Mom and Pop type strip mall store?

If so I would go and talk it over with them.

Lots of those types of retailers could fix you up a decent server/pc and would be thrilled to install Xp for you.

They may even have some trades or unsold older stock around that would satisfy your needs.

Obviously do not know your CPU needs , but it is easy to buy way more than you need with this item.

IMo most software will benefit from faster memory/bus and disk access more than raw CPU cycles.

ddog
06-13-2008, 10:40 PM
I have purchased 4 computers from Puget Custom Computers.
Here is a link to them:

http://www.pugetsystems.com/configure.php?app_type=h

They still offer Windows XP Pro as an option.

:ThmbUp:

Bruddah
06-14-2008, 12:01 PM

and Costco

I saw several Lenovo systems at the Puget systems addy. They were priced attractively. Actually, I had never heard of them until your post.

WOW! The Puget systems must be good and strong. I admit, there was some sticker shock when even looking at the base models. However, you can definitely get what you want. Thanks Guys.

punteray
06-14-2008, 12:17 PM
Go to portatech.com----------------you can build a computer from scratch with xppro and they will pay the shipping. And their prices are great.

Punteray

tupper
06-14-2008, 01:12 PM
If you are going to have someone build a custom computer, consider choosing a motherboard that offers the instant-on desktop, "Splashtop": http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2008/05/asus_to_make_splashtop_standard.html

Asus makes excellent motherboards, and they already have about a dozen motherboards with Splashtop: http://www.splashtop.com/availability.php?cat=1

Here is the Splashtop home page: http://www.splashtop.com/

Mwave and Newegg sell some of these MBs. The great thing about these outfits is the huge selection and the cheap prices. And it only cost $75 more to have Mwave build and test a system from the components you choose.

I saw several Lenovo systems at the Puget systems addy. They were priced attractively. Actually, I had never heard of them until your post.Lenovo is the Chinese company that was formerly IBM's PC division.

dutchboy
06-14-2008, 06:00 PM
It sounds like they did you a favor. To use a debit card instead of a credit card and then give access to your checking account may not be the best idea. If you place a limit of 300 on a debit card how can you expect them to ship a computer. .

While my thread is not on software but hardware, I felt it was best to be viewed here.

I have been in the process over the last several weeks of trying to update to a new CPU. I reluctantly decided to use Dell, because it was the only place I could find a server with XP or XP Pro. I have heard so much negative about Dell, its' products and service but since it was the only place I could get XP or XP PRO, I chose them. Also, I liked the ability to design the system the way I wanted. I placed a final order on June 6, 2008. I received all of their initial emails stating the order had been accepted and eagerly awaited an email that the order was being processed with my ship date etc. I waited and waited and waited. Finally on June 12, 2008, I contacted their service center wanting to know what the problem was. I should say, at this point, I spent a frustrating time trying to get someone to help me. Finally a nice young man with a hard to understand accent came on line. In fairness to him, I have stated here many times, I have trouble understanding accents and this was a hard to understand Middle Eastern accent. But, to the young man's credit he was very polite, courteous and I believe tried to do his job within the system, he has to work.

We came to the conclusion that the payment process never went through. I had paid with my MasterCard Debit card. He offered to set my payment up on a Dell Charge. I explained at my age and health, I didn't want to charge anything, I had plenty of Credit cards, but please take it out of my checking account. He tried several times and couldn't get it to process. I then called my bank (of 12years) to see why the purchase was not being processed. They reminded me, I had initially set a limit of $300 daily for any purchases made with the Card. A safety precaution should I lose the card. I authorized a one time purchase to Dell for that day. Dell, never processed the purchase. Noticing this the next day I called Dell again, I told them I would authorize my Bank again to process this charge, Dell failed to process it , again. I should add by this time, I have spent approx. 3.5 hours on the phone and on HOLD! (mostly with Dell) trying to make this purchase.

Now we get to the part that really ticks me off. At No point did Dell try to email me or contact me to advise me there was a problem with my order. I had to initiate all contact. I went through 3 or 4 supervisors. When being passed from one supervisor to the next, none knew the History of my complaint. Yet, each time I spoke to someone, I was on hold for extended periods while they pulled my information or updated my information.

By this time, I had weakened and pulled out my CREDIT cards. Just as I was about to use it, a rage went over me. I said to Hell with Dell, I will go to Best Buy. The thing I hate, I will be forced to purchase Vista, when I prefer XP PRO and this is the last week you can purchase it. But, It's probably best anyway because Dell can't handle simple Technology. :mad:

Bruddah
06-14-2008, 07:31 PM
It sounds like they did you a favor. To use a debit card instead of a credit card and then give access to your checking account may not be the best idea. If you place a limit of 300 on a debit card how can you expect them to ship a computer. .

I set the limit 12 years ago and have never really had a problem. Besides, I had the limit reset 3 times, 3 days in a row. They could never get their act together to clear the purchase. It seems, once I approved the purchase, Dell couldn't get it done in their system, until the next day. I can see it as my problem once, but the second and third time was on them. Besides, it was almost a week the first time and they didn't contact me. I had to contact them and spend 3 1/2 hrs. on the phone over the next two days. Obviously, they don't need or want a $1000 cash purchase. It's not technologically feasible for them to handle a cash purchase or contact the customer if there is a problem. The technology has been around for awhile. Yes, their ineptitude did me a favor. But still, it just mentally reinforces the stories I have been told by others.

It's up to all who read this thread to make their own decisions about a DELL purchases. All I have done is offer my experience and the image of their company in my mind. If that does or doesn't influence someone else, No Skin Off My Teeth. ;)

Sailwolf
06-14-2008, 07:37 PM
Wait!

Dave

YES COSTCO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Houndog
06-16-2008, 01:53 PM
E-Bay has a few computer stores where you can custom build a P.C. at a very reasonable price. I prefer AMD based systems because of the savings.

http://www.ecollegepc.com/

No doubt their are others but this is just 1 example.

JBmadera
06-16-2008, 02:18 PM
YES COSTCO!!!!!!!!!!!!

was going to buy another PC from Dell even though we were not pleased with the last one, but I saw the post about Costco (had no clue they sold HP's) and the wife went down Saturday, bought the HP and loves it already.

Grifter
06-16-2008, 06:02 PM
Houndog is right... E-Bay has some good oufits that will assemble whatever you want. No Vista (unless you ask)... no bloatware... fast service.... and you can buy from companies with 99-100% feedback scores. .

Check Sharky Extreme for their latest gaming systems. Look at the specs for their under $1K systems (AMD and Intel), and build around your preferred platform. You can down-grade from their recommended video card to save some money (unless you're a gamer).

-- Grifter

tupper
06-18-2008, 01:33 PM
A related article explaining Dell's Windows XP surcharge: http://computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9099178

soosjs
06-19-2008, 11:06 PM
Dealing with Dell has been equally frustrating but they offer the most for the money. Costco on line is offering a pre configured Dell Inspiron well equipped for $1,099 including shipping, a two year warranty, and a 90 day return policy which is hard to beat !!

WinterTriangle
06-20-2008, 12:30 AM
I saw several Lenovo systems at the Puget systems addy. They were priced attractively. Actually, I had never heard of them until your post.

Lenovo=IBM
I have an IBM Thinkpad that is the best laptop I've ever had.

Having been in the computer industry (network operations) agree with everyone who said find a local builder. They can build you what you want, and put what you what on it. I used to build systems for friends...they never could have gotten the system they wanted otherwise.

The prices, surprisingly, are often CHEAPER, and you have a local person right there if anything goes wrong.

I stopped dealing with the big box stores long ago.

Good luck.

King Ritchie
06-20-2008, 12:54 PM
I have used DELL computers since they first became available and have never NEVER had a problem. I have purchased DELL's for family members and they too have never NEVER had a problem.

So if you have a problem with a DELL computer then it must be the User

JustRalph
06-20-2008, 03:04 PM
I have used DELL computers since they first became available and have never NEVER had a problem. I have purchased DELL's for family members and they too have never NEVER had a problem.

Ok, now I am no longer with you Ritchie......................

the key to your post is " Never had a problem" They were just criminally indicted for fraud all relating to their support and lack thereof.

King Ritchie
06-20-2008, 04:26 PM
Ok, now I am no longer with you Ritchie......................

the key to your post is " Never had a problem" They were just criminally indicted for fraud all relating to their support and lack thereof.

What don't you understand about "Never had a problem"? One of my DELL computers is on 24/7 and was purchased sometime before 2000. It still continues to run perfectly. All I've ever done with it is blow out the insides every few months. I've never had a problem with support either. Why should I lie to please you.

JustRalph
06-20-2008, 04:58 PM
What don't you understand about "Never had a problem"? One of my DELL computers is on 24/7 and was purchased sometime before 2000. It still continues to run perfectly. All I've ever done with it is blow out the insides every few months. I've never had a problem with support either. Why should I lie to please you.

let me clarify my point. The problem with Dell happens "when you have a problem" They used to be famous for taking care of their customers when there were problems. About five years back............things changed. It is easy to sell a product and have satisfied customers when everything goes right and the hardware lives up to expectations etc. You earn loyalty by treating your customer well after a problem happens. Dell lost that dedicaton to their customers and now they are facing indictments in a couple of states. That says much about them.

I don't doubt that you have had good luck with them. But when a problem pops up........they aren't the same company. Btw, I used to buy only Dell systems and have sold many, many for them. Not anymore.

ddog
06-20-2008, 05:33 PM
What they made back in those days are night and day different from now.
I have used/purchased in the high hundreds of Dell systems over the years.

I have a couple of old Dell Poweredge servers running W2K3 and they are indestructible. have ran unattended for YEARS.

I however would not be a buyer of Dell for the last 3-4 years.

We had a lot of hard drive problems with the higher end Dell laptops though and moved away as they died off.

No way.

hcap
06-20-2008, 07:59 PM

I like my Dell. It's just that I get these weird annoying images from time to time. Seem to pop up when least expected. Really annoying images. REALLY REALLY ANNOYING. A royal pain!

http://slantmouth.com/articles/smoothCriminal/images/theKing.jpg