PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to John Del Riccio

Premier Turf Club
06-12-2008, 06:13 PM
Props for taking a $5k dirt claimer and winning a $40,000 ALW race on Turf today at MTH. A nice fat mutuel of $105 bucks I might add... :jump:

What a claim.

http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/pdf/MTH061208USA6.pdf

PeteKoch
06-12-2008, 06:29 PM
Great claim, John. Congratulations...Pete

P.S. - Jeff would be proud :cool:

DeanT
06-12-2008, 06:33 PM
Congrats John!

Hope you had a couple sheckels in the win pool too :ThmbUp:

46zilzal
06-12-2008, 06:36 PM
Props for taking a $5k dirt claimer and winning a $40,000 ALW race on Turf today at MTH. A nice fat mutuel of $105 bucks I might add...

yup the horse just ran and had no idea what man made class the other humans put him into.

They have a habit of surprising us: Seabiscuit, John Henry etc....None of them seem to know that they are CLAIMERS.....they just run and forget the title.

john del riccio
06-12-2008, 06:58 PM
Props for taking a $5k dirt claimer and winning a $40,000 ALW race on Turf today at MTH. A nice fat mutuel of $105 bucks I might add...

yup the horse just ran and had no idea what man made class the other humans put him into.

They have a habit of surprising us: Seabiscuit, John Henry etc....None of them seem to know that they are CLAIMERS.....they just run and forget the title.

Thanks fellas, being mentioned anywhere near John Henry (my sons name), is an honour in and of itself.

Needless to say, I'm a 100 feet off the ground about now. I had knee surgery last wednesday so I couldn't get out to see it live. Its a good thing too, I am sure I'd of re-injured it jumping up and down like a wild man !

Salute !

John

ryesteve
06-12-2008, 07:00 PM
If Dutrow had pulled this off, I can just imagine how different the tone of the posts would be... :D

Rackon
06-12-2008, 09:11 PM
Congratulations on a nice win, John, and good luck in future!

Is there anything more fun than watching your horse cross under the finish line first?

JustRalph
06-12-2008, 09:54 PM
Nice Job!! Congrats!!

Tom
06-12-2008, 11:17 PM
Must have had a great day today!
Congrats.

bigmack
06-13-2008, 12:52 AM
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/6_12_08_21_48_31.png

Sure was an odd spread of loot. "Who knows" was clearly thick in the air. Wish I had lettuce involved.

What an awfully nice claim. Well done :ThmbUp:

proximity
06-13-2008, 06:19 AM
i was actually just asking jockey jose flores about this.

"i win TWO at monmouth," he corrected me. lol.:D

i'm actually even more impressed that jdr has knee surgery on a wednesday, but like clockwork the figures still come first thing on thursday!! :ThmbUp:

congratulations!!

Indulto
06-13-2008, 06:53 AM
... Needless to say, I'm a 100 feet off the ground about now. I had knee surgery last wednesday so I couldn't get out to see it live. Its a good thing too, I am sure I'd of re-injured it jumping up and down like a wild man ! ...jdr,
You're the kind of owner/horseplayer I can identify with. Congratulations.

nobeyerspls
06-13-2008, 08:21 AM
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/6_12_08_21_48_31.png

Sure was an odd spread of loot. "Who knows" was clearly thick in the air. Wish I had lettuce involved.

What an awfully nice claim. Well done :ThmbUp:

This freshened filly was very betable. She had four lifetime wins going into the race and several were eligible for non-winners of two. She caught a perfect pace set-up with a sub 22 first quarter and the jock was able to rally her up the rail. I don't know what the speed figure differences were because I never look at those. I'm guessing that she was deficient in that category.

Premier Turf Club
06-13-2008, 09:01 AM
Off the Beyer's she was as fast on the turf as all but 2, and those two fillies were maybe 2 lengths faster on their best, a number they ran only every so often. On top of that John's mare was rested and was now first time as a 5YO so you could project a better number. For those that use HTR she was a 96 K Rating, 9 points less than the K1 with a fair value on HTR at 11-1. I'm not saying she should have been 6/5, but 2% probability in a 7 horse field was absurd.

She was 22-1 at 2 MTP when I bet her before drifting waaaaaaaaaaaay up.

onefast99
06-13-2008, 09:05 AM
Great job John! Should be a fun meet good luck the rest of the way!

Ted Craven
06-13-2008, 09:18 AM
Indeed - Very bettable, and gettable! Congratulations John :jump:

http://paceandcap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4044

Ted

rrbauer
06-13-2008, 10:09 AM
Saw the race live and she was much best having to wait for room until they hit the chute gap in mid-stretch which opened up the inside. Just exploded to the lead and won easily. One of the TVG pundits mentioned that the 2nd longest shot in the field was 5-1! As an aside to John, no knee surgery ever kept me from the track....and, I had three (3) of them!

Unfortunately I wasn't playing Monmouth so I'm a member of the "you can't win if you don't buy a ticket" group!!

Congrats!

njcurveball
06-13-2008, 10:27 AM

Congrats John! Shame I had to work as this horse was an HTR standout and if it were a contest many players would have had it. The price was amazing! Hope you cashed for a bundle! :ThmbUp:

Jim

PaceAdvantage
06-13-2008, 12:44 PM
As usual, I'm late to the party....congrats on the win!

46zilzal
06-13-2008, 04:45 PM

http://paceandcap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4044

Ted
If there is better software out there, I would find it hard to believe.

njcurveball
06-13-2008, 05:27 PM
If there is better software out there, I would find it hard to believe.

So why are all YOUR screen shots from older versions? Why aren't YOU using it?

46zilzal
06-13-2008, 05:29 PM
So why are all YOUR screen shots from older versions? Why aren't YOU using it?
One is windows based, the other DOS. Same program as it was 6 or 7 iterations ago (with moderation for Trackmaster speed rating changes and Inter Track variant) when Guy first offered it at our site and I was a tester.

njcurveball
06-13-2008, 05:30 PM
One is windows based, the other DOS. Same program

So you are using the DOS based version of RDSS? Do you have Windows on your PC?

46zilzal
06-13-2008, 05:33 PM
So you are using the DOS based version of RDSS? Do you have Windows on your PC?
When you have a Lamborgini, the model doesn't matter much.

njcurveball
06-13-2008, 05:35 PM
When you have a Lamborgini, the model doesn't matter much.

I hope you can read the screens better on your PC then. The RDSS ones are crisp and clear, yours are illegible. :ThmbDown:

46zilzal
06-13-2008, 05:38 PM
I hope you can read the screens better on your PC then. The RDSS ones are crisp and clear, yours are illegible.
Those are screen captures NOT the screens themselves.

You go out of your way to be obtuse.

Ted Craven
06-13-2008, 05:40 PM
Gentlemen,

If my earlier link to PaceandCap where there were some posts about working and winning this race using several software has lead to any hi-jacking of this thread's original theme congtratulating John del Riccio on his horse's win - I do apologize. I was trying to respond to an observation about how gettable the race was.

May I suggest that debate over the relative merits of different software be the subject of a different discussion.

regards,

Ted

delayjf
06-13-2008, 06:16 PM
Congrats John - Curious what was the story behind the claim - go ahead and ring your bell. I'll bet that leg feels a lot better.

classhandicapper
06-13-2008, 06:59 PM
Congratulations! :jump: :ThmbUp:

john del riccio
06-13-2008, 07:40 PM
Congrats John - Curious what was the story behind the claim - go ahead and ring your bell. I'll bet that leg feels a lot better.

I claimed her at MTH off her win for 5k in a beaten race. She earned a fig that made her worth 8k on her best day. By the way she won that race (aside from her figure), was her 3/8 mile burst which is indicative of how successful turf horses run. I consulted JOTB ( a memeber of this board who is a jocks agent down at CT & who is a student of the game) and he researched her pedegree for me and valiated that the dam had indeed thrown a few turf winners. We tried her on the dirt for 10 right after the claim and caught a cuppy track at MTH labeled GD. Henry Kuck always said that a track that is drying out and labeled good is as hard to handicap as it is to make figures for AND subsequently make sense out of because when tracks dry out, they typically do so in an uneven fashion. Inside stays wet while the outside is dry or vice-versa; in other words, every horse in the race may be actually running over a different surface.... In short, she ran bad.

We put her back in what we claimed her for and she ran a very good race in the slop (a signal she may like the grass as well) running 2nd from well off the pace while racing wide. The winner was a classy old mare on the drop and the track favored speed all day. I requested we try her on the grass and there were two races that came up. A 10k open claimer or a 20k N4L. My trainer selected the restricted claiming race. When she ran that day and showed that 3/8 mile burst to get beat a neck on the wire (and subsequently got put up on a DQ), it was all validated.

We shipped her to DEL and got spun (a top jock we had gotten to ride, split to ride in a 100k stake in MD where he ran 2nd) and we had a last minute replacement. I think we gave him to much info on how to ride her and she didn't fire like we had hoped. I wanted to see if she could stretch her speed a mile on the grass so we entered at LRL. It came off the grass and we decided to run. She made a sweeping move at huge odds to take the lead at the 1/4 pole but hung and finished 3rd.

At this point, there are 2 choices, send he to Florida/Loisianna or l rest her up for next year (not something that is done too often these days); I chose the latter.

We entered 4 times with her prior to Thursday and got rained off the grass each time. I was losing my patience for sure. I think the patience paid off this time.

Thanks for all the kid words

John

PS Funny, I am actually walking without a limp now....GO FIGURE !

GARY Z
06-14-2008, 08:02 AM
how bout running on a weekend day?

geez, your baby was wway up there on Blam

Great win!!