PDA

View Full Version : Booing Big Brown

cj's dad
06-11-2008, 11:15 PM
One thing that I have only heard mentioned in passing is the booing that took place as BB passed the 1/16 th pole. Most were focused on DaTara but as BB passed by us and those in the area realized that he had quit the boos cascaded down from the crowd. Maybe the boos began earlier, but I didn't notice until those in section T started up. I have to admit this was the 1st time I have heard booing at the track directed at the horse/rider. That kind of thing is usually reserved for the jocks as they leave the track after an ill-conceived ride. To say the scene was surreal would be an understatement.

I have my own thoughts as to who the boos were directed at, but I am interested in your opinions.

46zilzal
06-11-2008, 11:18 PM
You could hear them loud and clear on several You tube recordings.

KMS
06-11-2008, 11:19 PM
I think it's pretty stupid to boo a horse.

Bruddah
06-11-2008, 11:22 PM
I think the poor horse and rider received the booing but, it was meant for Dutrow and the connections. I have done many ill conceived things in my lifetime, but booing a sports participant (any participant) has not been one of them. Personally, I think it shows a lack of Class or too much alcohol. :ThmbDown:

samyn on the green
06-11-2008, 11:26 PM
Not only did they boo but there were two Beer cans/water bottles chucked at him around the 16th pole. One landed on the track about 10 feet away from his hooves the other never made it two the track. That was a nasty crowd and they turned on him fast.

46zilzal
06-11-2008, 11:27 PM
I think the poor horse and rider received the booing but, it was meant for Dutrow and the connections. I have done many ill conceived things in my lifetime, but booing a sports participant (any participant) has not been one of them.
Agree. You pull for the other guy but not at the expense of an animal.

KMS
06-11-2008, 11:53 PM
Not only did they boo but there were two Beer cans/water bottles chucked at him around the 16th pole. One landed on the track about 10 feet away from his hooves the other never made it two the track. That was a nasty crowd and they turned on him fast.

I don't know what Belmont is like, but there are lots of youtubes from the infield at Preakness day, and I doubt there are many actual racing fans out there. Looks like a typical Girls Gone Wild crowd...drunk fratboys, skanky chicks, and a few meth freaks sprinkled in. I don't think that's your target audience to grow racing.

cj's dad
06-12-2008, 01:02 AM
I don't know what Belmont is like, but there are lots of youtubes from the infield at Preakness day, and I doubt there are many actual racing fans out there. Looks like a typical Girls Gone Wild crowd...drunk fratboys, skanky chicks, and a few meth freaks sprinkled in. I don't think that's your target audience to grow racing.

What the hell does this have to do with the Preakness and the infield crowd. They are so far removed from the rail that Tom Brady couldn't hit the track with a beer can or a water bottle. And you are right, there are NO racing fans out there, only drunks, and they are too wasted to boo by 6:30 PM.
I do take acception to the fact that you left out the time one of the infield crowd jumped over the fence and tried to punch ARTAX #7 at about the 1/8th pole. Perp has only been out of jail about 2 yrs. now and is not allowed at the tracks. Damn, another future customer lost to PC.:bang:

samyn on the green
06-12-2008, 01:15 AM
I don't know what Belmont is like, but there are lots of youtubes from the infield at Preakness day, and I doubt there are many actual racing fans out there. Looks like a typical Girls Gone Wild crowd...drunk fratboys, skanky chicks, and a few meth freaks sprinkled in. I don't think that's your target audience to grow racing.For the most part this is what the Belmont Sakes crowd is like on the apron and in the backyard. Very little betting, lots of drinking, tons of standing around and drawing attention to yourself. These people do not show up for anything else at Belmont but the Belmont Stakes.

IMO the best day at Belmont is the JCGC day with four grade one championship autumn races, it could be a gorgeous sky clear 75 degrees and they are lucky to draw 12k fans for a great racing card. Yet they can pull over a 100K for the three year old classic? I think it is a media thing. The media has abandoned racing for the most part but still maintains blanket coverage for the triple crown and the masses are controlled by the media. With no media coverage prompting them to show up the masses do not come to Belmont for anything else. Perhaps we are better off without the masses, they really are a vile and nasty lot when they do show up once a year.

cj's dad
06-12-2008, 01:26 AM
I've been going to JCGC for 3 years running now and it's a great time. Tickets are plentiful and the price is the same, no gouging. Last 2 years I had 4 seats on level 3 right at the finish line, first row. Simply called and asked.
Flew into Islip, spent the night at the LaQuinta and flew home on Sunday. Other than the arms being sore(ba da boom)it was a great trip, cheap too.

ryesteve
06-12-2008, 06:38 AM
I have my own thoughts as to who the boos were directed at, but I am interested in your opinions.I think it was just a gut reaction of, "#$%^, we got fooled AGAIN!" I don't think in the moment people were specifically targeting blame at the horse, the rider or the trainer... it was the disappointment in realizing that this time would be no different than the last 10 times.

Triple Nickle
06-12-2008, 07:15 AM
Perhaps its the perception that they ( jock & horse ) quit. At a prize fight when a fighter quits, the fans boo. At a soccer match if a player takes a dive the fans boo. If a star baseball player takes a 3rd strike with the winning or tying run at third the fans boo. They came to see an athlete perform they expect him to try until the end.
Belmont park never brings in that size crowd, so I also think that its safe to say that the majority there were casual horse fans at best. The tendency I have found with them is that they think these animals come out and run there best everytime. So watching that race would disappoint them.
For the record, I have never booed any athlete, but I wouldn't have pat them on the back and said good try either.

Stevie Belmont
06-12-2008, 09:41 AM
It’s easy for some people to knock the horse. I put aside my feelings for this crew a while ago, to me it’s about the horse. He did not win the Belmont for various reasons in which everyone is debating, ride, conditioning, not his day and do on. His legacy could very well be remembered for losing the Belmont if he does not comeback, and moreover win.

I think booing is dopey to say the least. Serves no real purpose. To me his legacy will be a pretty good one. Winning from post 20 in the Kentucky Derby will always stick out as a memory. Despite the argument that his opponents were a weak bunch or not, that has nothing to do with him. A good, decent horse as I think he is, should mangle those horses, with ease and he did. He was undefeated going into the Belmont Stakes winning all his races by daylight.

A lot of people are going to only remember him for the Belmont Stakes, especially if he does not comeback. This is something that could stick in the mind of connections; people usually remember the last thing they see. He is worth a lot of money and they could easily retire him. He would retire with a multitude of questions and the detractors will have even more negatives feeling about him.

Haskell and/or Travers would be the best thing for him if he is ready and fit. A crack at redemption? Comeback and do what he was doing before the Belmont. Even if it’s just one race and done. A big win would most certainly help forget the Belmont for many, if he does not comeback and run, booing will still be heard. And that’s the way people feel, they won’t remember the Kentucky Derby. I will.

Marshall Bennett
06-12-2008, 10:53 AM
Probably some Yankee's fans spilling over to the track to show a bit of their character there . :p

jtat
06-12-2008, 07:48 PM
For the most part this is what the Belmont Sakes crowd is like on the apron and in the backyard. Very little betting, lots of drinking, tons of standing around and drawing attention to yourself. These people do not show up for anything else at Belmont but the Belmont Stakes.

IMO the best day at Belmont is the JCGC day with four grade one championship autumn races, it could be a gorgeous sky clear 75 degrees and they are lucky to draw 12k fans for a great racing card. Yet they can pull over a 100K for the three year old classic? I think it is a media thing. The media has abandoned racing for the most part but still maintains blanket coverage for the triple crown and the masses are controlled by the media. With no media coverage prompting them to show up the masses do not come to Belmont for anything else. Perhaps we are better off without the masses, they really are a vile and nasty lot when they do show up once a year.

What did you think of the "hotties" that tried to snuggle up with paying patrons along the first row of the grandstand just prior to the horses loading in the gate for the Belmont?

Grits
06-12-2008, 08:15 PM
I've been going to JCGC for 3 years running now and it's a great time. Tickets are plentiful and the price is the same, no gouging. Last 2 years I had 4 seats on level 3 right at the finish line, first row. Simply called and asked.
Flew into Islip, spent the night at the LaQuinta and flew home on Sunday. Other than the arms being sore(ba da boom)it was a great trip, cheap too.

Now, this is a good little deal. Very good deal.

Grits
06-12-2008, 08:27 PM
The loudest booing I've ever heard at Belmont was when Bailey came back to the Winners' Circle on Empire Maker after beating Funnycide. Never do I recall folks being that ugly. New Yorkers were bad that afternoon. REALLY BAD.

Bailey was sitting on his back, with his arms up in the air, pointing to Empire Maker . . . saying, "realize what this guy has just done." And nobody in the place was buying it. Everybody was disappointed.

Lose The Juice
06-12-2008, 09:43 PM
Given the ridiculous hype and the seedy connections, and the fact that the horse started to fade after a fargin' mile, the booing was eminently warranted; it fell on human ears. Dutrow et al. got the message.

rokitman
06-13-2008, 07:54 AM
Nobody should be throwing anything but I don't blame people for being pissed watching the their unbeatable super-favorite walking home. Desormeaux had no right to do so and should have serious consequences. He didn't do that because the horse was hurt. He did it to say, "I have no horse! See! I didn't give him a horseshit ride like Real Quiet! It's not my fault at all! I have no horse! See!!! I couldn't have won no matter what I did! I have NO horse! It's the horse, not me! I didn't crack under the pressure again! I...HAVE...NO...HORSE."

cj's dad
06-18-2008, 06:19 PM
Nobody should be throwing anything but I don't blame people for being pissed watching the their unbeatable super-favorite walking home. Desormeaux had no right to do so and should have serious consequences. He didn't do that because the horse was hurt. He did it to say, "I have no horse! See! I didn't give him a horseshit ride like Real Quiet! It's not my fault at all! I have no horse! See!!! I couldn't have won no matter what I did! I have NO horse! It's the horse, not me! I didn't crack under the pressure again! I...HAVE...NO...HORSE."

I think you have nailed- but we will never know because KD will never, never admit this.