PDA

View Full Version : Big Brown going to Haskell?

NY BRED
06-11-2008, 04:49 AM
I'm thinking this decision to next run in the Haskell , aside from facing
less competition may have other implications:

Rick could be thinking the surface of Mth would favor BB's running style as it is not sandy as Belmont, and being near the water, would be somewhat
cooler than Belmont or Saratoga.

MTH turns are obviously sharper than Belmont, uncertain there is much
difference with SAR.

Therefore, I'm wondering if he is expressing his disatisfaction with NYRA
as respects the track condition for the Belmont (extra sandy?) by
this decision.

Note, The time of the Belmont was almost six seconds off the record...

Thoughts?

samyn on the green
06-11-2008, 05:12 AM
Belmont was not extra sandy (http://gregcalabrese.blogspot.com/2008/06/belmont-was-not-slow-tiring-track-on.html) or slow or anything that would cause Big Brown to suddenly tire after a mile. Big Brown was just a short horse due to an injury limiting his training and an overconfident trainer taking it easy on what he thought was a much the best horse.

Bruddah
06-11-2008, 05:13 AM
If everything is as you suggest, it would be a poor carpenter that blames his tools or they realize BB is not the 'wonder horse' they thought he was. Personally, I think they are coming to the conclusion what two poor showings would mean, so they are looking for a soft spot with a possible jockey change.

In fact, who knows what this group is up to? :confused:

Spendabuck85
06-11-2008, 10:38 AM
From USA Today article:

Iavarone said Big Brown will probably be pointed toward the Aug. 3 Haskell Invitational at New Jersey's Monmouth Park as a prep race for the Aug. 23 Travers Stakes. He is not contemplating a jockey change.

"I don't like that move," Dutrow said of the Haskell. He said he'd prefer to train up to the Travers.

Stevie Belmont
06-11-2008, 11:12 AM
A horse does not win the Preakness with push button speed in a hand ride and get tired 3 weeks later, something happened.

Poor ride, Winstrol Effects, Bumped, horse was not feeling right, rank?

And on and on. People can blame who ever they want.

He was checked at the start, a lot of horses don't like that.

Haskell baby

Rico8812
06-11-2008, 09:39 PM
An overrated horse at a overrated racetrack.

Seems like a perfect fit to me.

cj's dad
06-11-2008, 09:53 PM
An overrated horse at a overrated racetrack.

Seems like a perfect fit to me.

What in the world does the track have to do with his performance; after all there were 13 winners Saturday.

PaceAdvantage
06-11-2008, 11:12 PM
What in the world does the track have to do with his performance; after all there were 13 winners Saturday.He's talking about Monmouth I believe....

lamboguy
06-12-2008, 01:09 AM
i hope he does show up, because i know a horse that just might be there waiting for him.

bigmack
06-12-2008, 01:23 AM
Recalcitrant is how I've resolved to call him after closely watching every race he's run.

BB to jock: Don't tell me how to run this. I know my shit.

I say keep running him. If he's all they hawk, purse-up and show faith in his run.

Stevie Belmont
06-12-2008, 09:53 AM
Overated track? It's one of nicest, history filled tracks in the world. Monmouth Park is a gem.

Kelso
06-12-2008, 11:32 PM
Nonsense. Big Brown did exactly what the jock told him to do, precisely when he was told to do it, in both the Derby and the Preakness.

Something, and perhaps several somethings, was different about the horse at the Belmont. I don't pretend to know what.

Wickel
06-13-2008, 12:12 AM
It was the ride. KD blew it at the start, going into the first turn and at the top of the lane. 'Nuff said.

cmoore
06-13-2008, 01:12 AM
He's talking about Monmouth I believe....

Bring back Hard Spun...He would kick BB ass on that early speed favoring Monmouth track..

ghostyapper
06-13-2008, 09:22 AM
Bring back Hard Spun...He would kick BB ass on that early speed favoring Monmouth track..

or any track for that matter

Grits
06-13-2008, 09:33 AM
Recalcitrant is how I've resolved to call him after closely watching every race he's run.

:lol: The best, most dead-on-the-money summation I've read on Brown since last Saturday evening!:lol:

I've felt this from the moment the gate opened, Bigmack.

Brown's own smarts got him in a split.

onefast99
06-13-2008, 09:51 AM
That would be pretty cool to see him run at Monmouth park. Seeing the original 100% owner Paul Pompa is from NJ and that would be great to see him and his family cheer on his horse. Haskell day is huge and BB would only add to a great day at the shore oval.