PDA

View Full Version : ESPN fumbles again !

KingChas
06-08-2008, 12:55 PM
After watching the races from the noon start on ESPN.
I will never bash the horseracing channels again.

Appearantly ESPN thinks nobody bets a triple.With their cameras bouncing around to different angles like the Titanic,it was only possible to catch the winner.

Thought I was sitting in the infield at the derby.

They actually had me feeling seasick during the races.

They failed to show some prices,less not showing the Manhattan,one of the closest finishes of the day.

They keyed on human interest stories and a horse that wasn't even running.
Never showing odds or post times for the undercard races.
They just don't get it.They are regressing.

I'll keep my TVG\HRTV at least for watching the races. ;)

cj
06-08-2008, 03:46 PM
I think the Manhattan was run right at the time of the switch to network coverage. It was shown on TVG.

DJofSD
06-08-2008, 03:50 PM
Yep, HRTV had the Manhattan also.

cj, Moore, OK? Your back state-side? Permanently?

cj
06-08-2008, 03:54 PM
Yep, I'm back.

Ron
06-08-2008, 04:30 PM
A lot of strange things happened with the coverage. At one point on ESPN, golf came on suddenly, the nit went back to racing after about 30 seconds.. It was hard to ever figure out who was second and third. And on ABC even though BB didn't even hit the board, that's the first horse they talked about.

KingChas
06-08-2008, 04:43 PM
The Woody Stephens was on at the switch.Approx 5:00 PM.

Did switch to TVG for that and the Manhattan when it was obvious ESPN/ABC was not going to cover it.

alydar
06-08-2008, 04:50 PM
After watching the races from the noon start on ESPN.
I will never bash the horseracing channels again.

Appearantly ESPN thinks nobody bets a triple.With their cameras bouncing around to different angles like the Titanic,it was only possible to catch the winner.

Thought I was sitting in the infield at the derby.

They actually had me feeling seasick during the races.

They failed to show some prices,less not showing the Manhattan,one of the closest finishes of the day.

They keyed on human interest stories and a horse that wasn't even running.
Never showing odds or post times for the undercard races.
They just don't get it.They are regressing.

I'll keep my TVG\HRTV at least for watching the races. ;)

What exactly did you expect. ESPN is not trying to be TVG or HRTV. They are marketing to a different audience. I think they do a fine jodb of giving the game exposure it doesn't often get. If you want prices watch the channels focued on players.

I am thankful for what they do. Good coverage of big days and many other races throughout the year. You can't be everything to everybody.

lsbets
06-08-2008, 04:58 PM
I hated the camera angles on ESPN. They were all over the place and when they would jump from one to the other my wife kept saying it was going to make her nauseous. I was glad when the two races before the Belmont went back to TVG.

KingChas
06-08-2008, 05:22 PM
What exactly did you expect.

I expected the same coverage shown by espn at Churchill Downs on the Derby undercard.They did a much better job that day.They tried to fix something that wasn't broke yesterday.Camera angles I can live with,but when they are in the stretch the classic view is the best.

PS; I wasn't joking the quick camera jumps were really nauseating!
What's next the Nascar gopher cam?

DJofSD
06-08-2008, 07:00 PM
One thing I noticed during the ABC coverage yesterday was during the walk over, the coverage in the paddock and even walking out onto the track, all of the "handlers" for BB seemed to be really uptight, directing people, keeping them away from the horse, trying to keep the crowd noise down, etc., etc.

Any one else notice this?

tribecaagent
06-08-2008, 07:21 PM
Would someone please put Hank Greenberg out of his misery? PLEASE.

The guy is not entertaining. He's not even a poor handicapper, he's awful.

Everytime he's on camera, they play that pitiful music.

Can anybody tell me where to send my resume?

alydar
06-08-2008, 07:25 PM
One thing I noticed during the ABC coverage yesterday was during the walk over, the coverage in the paddock and even walking out onto the track, all of the "handlers" for BB seemed to be really uptight, directing people, keeping them away from the horse, trying to keep the crowd noise down, etc., etc.

Any one else notice this?

I noticed that also. I wonder if they knew more than we were led to believe, or maybe it was just nerves. There was a lot of pressure

alydar
06-08-2008, 07:28 PM
Would someone please put Hank Greenberg out of his misery? PLEASE.

The guy is not entertaining. He's not even a poor handicapper, he's awful.

Everytime he's on camera, they play that pitiful music.

Can anybody tell me where to send my resume?

Yeah,
I would have to agree about Hank Greenberg. All he really shows each time he comes on is how to lose. Has he ever shown a profit? I don't pay too much attention to him, but it seems like he always loses.

rastajenk
06-09-2008, 07:35 AM
My nitpick is the way the dead heat for show was handled. I realize that wasn't the lead story, but the way the graphics were constructed was all wrong.

First it said "Photo/Dead Heat Anak Nakal 7.60" Then on Sportscenter a little later I think they dropped the Photo part, but just listed Anak Nakal. Later, on the ESPN radio, a summary written by a clueless writer and read by a more clueless chick reader said, "The photo for show paid 6.20"

No mention of two tris or two different super payouts. I don't expect great things from mainstream media regarding the subtleties of racing, but I would expect the folks in the production truck at ESPN/ABC to be able to recognize the significance of a dead heat and convey it properly.

Hedevar
06-09-2008, 08:42 AM
Yeah,
I would have to agree about Hank Greenberg. All he really shows each time he comes on is how to lose. Has he ever shown a profit? I don't pay too much attention to him, but it seems like he always loses.

Hank Greenberg is a Hall of Fame baseball player, not an ESPN tout.

tribecaagent
06-09-2008, 09:08 AM
Hank Greenberg is a Hall of Fame baseball player, not an ESPN tout.

Well, that explains why he's a terrible handicapper!

What's it Goldberg? My mistake.

Hedevar
06-09-2008, 09:56 AM
Well, that explains why he's a terrible handicapper!

What's it Goldberg? My mistake.

Tribecaagent,

Good post.

Hedevar

JustRalph
06-09-2008, 01:35 PM
I think they share the same religion though................ :ThmbUp:

Tom
06-09-2008, 01:37 PM
Didn't Goldberg sink the Titanic?

PaceAdvantage
06-09-2008, 08:21 PM
First it said "Photo/Dead Heat Anak Nakal 7.60" Then on Sportscenter a little later I think they dropped the Photo part, but just listed Anak Nakal. Later, on the ESPN radio, a summary written by a clueless writer and read by a more clueless chick reader said, "The photo for show paid 6.20"It's pretty apparent their graphics department wasn't set up for a dead heat, and they probably had the weekend off....:lol:

BeatTheChalk
06-11-2008, 07:51 AM
I expected the same coverage shown by espn at Churchill Downs on the Derby undercard.They did a much better job that day.They tried to fix something that wasn't broke yesterday.Camera angles I can live with,but when they are in the stretch the classic view is the best.

Now hold on :jump: I love the sounds of the engines
and the speed shots are amazing ... Over 200 miles
an hour. :ThmbUp: :eek:

BeatTheChalk
06-11-2008, 07:55 AM

Gopher Cam is great ! - I love the sounds of the engines
.. and the speed shots are amazing ( 200 MPH ) :eek:

KingChas
06-11-2008, 08:28 AM
Gopher Cam is great !

I agree.
I was not putting down the Gopher Cam used for Nascar racing.

More or less was stating the angle wouldn't enhance or (appeal) to viewing a horserace.
Unless you were a fillie trying to select your mate.
Then it would be a mighty fine shot! :D

JustRalph
06-11-2008, 01:12 PM
I was at Charlotte a few weeks ago and they had a guy walking around in a Gopher Suit playing the Gopher cam character............. it was 90 deg. and this guy was about to die............. :lol:

My Wife's company is sponsoring a series of races this next 6 weeks at Charlotte.......anybody in the area who wants tickets PM me............ I will be waving the Green flag for the start of some of the races...............

http://www.lowesmotorspeedway.com/schedules/summer_shootout/061708/