PDA

View Full Version : Big win for FedEx?

ryesteve
06-08-2008, 10:03 AM
So what do you think? For the time being at least, it seems as if UPS's decision to try to ride the coattails of Big Brown has turned into a big marketing blunder. Until and unless Big Brown redeems himself, when people hear the phrase "What can Brown do you for?", the answer is going to be, "Not a whole hell of a lot, apparently"

JustRalph
06-08-2008, 10:57 AM
Are you nuts? What does 500 mentions a day on ESPN cost? What does everybody and their brother talking about the race cost? They made a great deal. And the fact that the horse lost will only make it better. And if he comes back and races again.........they get to do it all over again............it will be on ESPN and the rest anticipating his return. They can't lose. The only thing that would have been better would have been a win in a photo.

ryesteve
06-08-2008, 11:19 AM
Are you nuts?
No. Are you? The marketing world isn't show business, where the conventional wisdom is, "I don't care what you say about me, just spell my name right". When it comes to brand perception, no one wants their product associated with a "fraud' or a "flop", and rightly or wrongly, that's exactly how Big Brown is being perceived this morning.

sally
06-08-2008, 11:37 AM
No. Are you? The marketing world isn't show business, where the conventional wisdom is, "I don't care what you say about me, just spell my name right". When it comes to brand perception, no one wants their product associated with a "fraud' or a "flop", and rightly or wrongly, that's exactly how Big Brown is being perceived this morning.

actually, I think if you asked the executives of UPS how they feel about all this right now-- they'd say THANKS for all the free advertising-- ask Fed -Ex if they'd trade places with UPS and oh yeah-- in a heart beat.... I don't think everyone is thinking BB is a fraud-- he just didn't win the TC...

ryesteve
06-08-2008, 11:46 AM
I don't think everyone is thinking BB is a fraudNot "everyone"... but the tone of the posts here, and the boos raining down from the grandstand as BB finally made his way to the finish line, would lead one to think a good number of people DO feel that way.

JustRalph
06-08-2008, 11:47 AM
actually, I think if you asked the executives of UPS how they feel about all this right now-- they'd say THANKS for all the free advertising-- ask Fed -Ex if they'd trade places with UPS and oh yeah-- in a heart beat.... I don't think everyone is thinking BB is a fraud-- he just didn't win the TC...

Exactly!!! If I was UPS I would be buying a couple zillion horse stickers for the side of every damn truck............but they should have done that 6 weeks ago...........

ryesteve
06-08-2008, 12:10 PM
actually, I think if you asked the executives of UPS how they feel about all this right nowActually, I may be able to... I'm curious enough to pursue this.

DJofSD
06-08-2008, 12:27 PM
Hey, FedEx had Tom Hanks and "Cast Away". Bring Tom out in a commercial touting FedEx saying something like 'we go the distance.'

Valuist
06-08-2008, 12:31 PM
So what do you think? For the time being at least, it seems as if UPS's decision to try to ride the coattails of Big Brown has turned into a big marketing blunder. Until and unless Big Brown redeems himself, when people hear the phrase "What can Brown do you for?", the answer is going to be, "Not a whole hell of a lot, apparently"

I strongly disagree. What is it they say about publicity? Bad publicity is better than no publicity? UPS got tons of free advertising the past few days/weeks. But until the price of oil comes down, both UPS and FedEx will be hurting.

ryesteve
06-08-2008, 12:31 PM
Hey, FedEx had Tom Hanks and "Cast Away". Bring Tom out in a commercial touting FedEx saying something like 'we go the distance.'Yeah, they did a Castaway parody commercial during the Super Bowl a few years ago... it was pretty funny and probably one of the best non-beer spots that year :ThmbUp:

Valuist
06-08-2008, 12:33 PM
BTW, how does winning the KY Derby and Preakness make one a fraud? If there's any Triple Crown race that produces fraudulent results, without question its the Belmont.

ryesteve
06-08-2008, 12:34 PM
I strongly disagree. What is it they say about publicity? Bad publicity is better than no publicity?I made the point a few posts up that this is NOT the case when it comes to products and branding, even when the bad publicity is false or has no basis.

I'm not saying he IS a fraud. I said the PERCEPTION is there. If you're going to argue THAT, then I can't help you.

Valuist
06-08-2008, 12:36 PM
I made the point a few posts up that this is NOT the case when it comes to products and branding, even when the bad publicity is false or has no basis.

UPS purpose of doing business is not racing horses. How does this affect their "branding" in any way? Answer: it doesn't.

ryesteve
06-08-2008, 12:41 PM
UPS purpose of doing business is not racing horses. How does this affect their "branding" in any way? Answer: it doesn't.It's the association. It's no different than a company that uses an actor as a spokesperson, and then he puts out a movie that is a colossal bomb. Do you think they'd be happy at the tons of publicity the flop generated, or do you think they'd be figuring out who their next spokesperson should be?

Valuist
06-08-2008, 12:45 PM
I think you are overthinking it. The average person doesn't give a damn who Big Brown (the horse) is. I wouldn't go out and buy FedEx stock due to this, nor would I short UPS due to what happened. Like I said earlier, with those two companies, everything else is secondary to oil.

DJofSD
06-08-2008, 12:47 PM
BTW, how does winning the KY Derby and Preakness make one a fraud? If there's any Triple Crown race that produces fraudulent results, without question its the Belmont.
Ya, just like the Pats are fruads.

I can understand people being disappointed but I think this label of fraud being thrown around is coming out of anger or perhaps frustration.

Valuist
06-08-2008, 12:59 PM
Ya, just like the Pats are fruads.

I can understand people being disappointed but I think this label of fraud being thrown around is coming out of anger or perhaps frustration.

DJ-

Doing any trading this week? I'm going to buy some CAT.

ryesteve
06-08-2008, 01:00 PM
I think you are overthinking it.I have to; it's part of my job decription :D
Seriously though, in the ad world, you can have knock-down, drag-out fights over whether to use an 8 point typeface or a 9 point typeface... when it comes to the concept of "overthinking", the bar is set very, very high.

DeanT
06-08-2008, 01:02 PM
Why wouldnt Fed Ex sign a one or two time deal with Da Tara? They could run an ad or two about "beating Big Brown"

DJofSD
06-08-2008, 01:15 PM
DJ-

Doing any trading this week? I'm going to buy some CAT.
Perhaps. Friday's beat down will likely continue on Monday. I'm going to revisit my watch list this evening to see what, if any of those companies, are being offered at a discount. Or, maybe I'll add to a current position.

Right now, I have one loser, KEX. That is a possible sell and take the loss but I need to understand better why the down turn.

The trendline for CAT is still ever so slightly up. I see it's met some resistance in the neighorhood of 83. Is it forming a base?

Valuist
06-08-2008, 02:19 PM
Perhaps. Friday's beat down will likely continue on Monday. I'm going to revisit my watch list this evening to see what, if any of those companies, are being offered at a discount. Or, maybe I'll add to a current position.

Right now, I have one loser, KEX. That is a possible sell and take the loss but I need to understand better why the down turn.

The trendline for CAT is still ever so slightly up. I see it's met some resistance in the neighorhood of 83. Is it forming a base?

Its going to be more of an investment than trade. The earthquake in China will be huge for their business, which was pretty good to begin with. I like the international infrastructure plays.

DJofSD
06-08-2008, 02:37 PM
Its going to be more of an investment than trade. The earthquake in China will be huge for their business, which was pretty good to begin with. I like the international infrastructure plays.
The BRIC thesis is alive and well. I hold FWLT for that reason.

rrpic6
06-08-2008, 04:36 PM
I strongly disagree. What is it they say about publicity? Bad publicity is better than no publicity? UPS got tons of free advertising the past few days/weeks. But until the price of oil comes down, both UPS and FedEx will be hurting.

Great Thread and this post is exactly on the mark. The minute I saw Big Brown staggering home last, I kept thinking of advertisements the USPS could make. "Don't use a last place finisher when you want results" "We might not be Number 1, but we deliver 1st place and every place, every day".

Of course the USPS has no clue on marketing strategy, usually light duty people or supervisors being relocated for harassing behavior are given these assignments, so don't look for the USPS to cash in on any of this.

RR

JustRalph
06-08-2008, 07:53 PM
why would the USPS care about marketing..........Congress takes a phone call and the rates go up. Easy as that.

ryesteve
06-08-2008, 08:38 PM
why would the USPS care about marketing..........Congress takes a phone call and the rates go up. Easy as that.You mean UPS and FedEx can't raise their rates just as easily? Pretty much every business can set their own prices... so that's a strange argument to use to say they shouldn't care about marketing. But if it makes things easier, just substitute "FedEx" for "USPS" in that earlier post.

SeattleSlew@BP
06-08-2008, 08:46 PM
Is this a joke?

rrpic6
06-08-2008, 09:30 PM
why would the USPS care about marketing..........Congress takes a phone call and the rates go up. Easy as that.

Not true! The new Postal Reform Law that went into effect in 2007 lets the USPS raise rates once a year, in May, only in accordance with the rate of inflation.

RR

ryesteve
06-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Is this a joke?Oh great, Halley's Comet has returned. Has it really been 76 years already?

Tom
06-08-2008, 10:48 PM
Fedex and UPS are going to merge.
The new company will be called Fed Up.

SeattleSlew@BP
06-09-2008, 01:17 AM
Oh great, Halley's Comet has returned. Has it really been 76 years already?

"Is this a joke?" was an honest question. I truly thought the topic was a spoof for half the thread, like an Onion Sports story. Photoshop pics of FedEx execs cheering wildly as Big Brown finished up the track, popping champagne, giving high fives. Pretty funny stuff. Then with your Halley's Comet remark, I remembered who you were, and thought "my god, he's serious" :)

BIG RED
06-09-2008, 02:25 AM
Why wouldnt Fed Ex sign a one or two time deal with Da Tara? They could run an ad or two about "beating Big Brown"

All the horses beat BigBrown :D

Did anyone notice the outriders?
In the extreme heat, they all were wearing shortsleeves with their protective vests, except one.

Yup, BB's tandem had a full jacket on, with a huge UPS logo on it! Now, why was that? Is that pure $$$ talking? Sold to the highest bidder. That really disgusted me, really. And ya, I know, signs of the times. It made me think a bit. I believe these races (most) can't be fixed anymore (by bad elements). But just maybe, they can be bought? Are we heading down that slope?

** Fed Up **

ryesteve
06-09-2008, 11:09 PM
Then with your Halley's Comet remark, I remembered who you wereIt wasn't until then? Seriously? And here I thought you specifically went out of your way to make an inane comment that contributed absolutely nothing. I should've known that it just came naturally.

Here's a good link: http://www.cnbc.com/id/25060103/site/14081545
I can't say that I like the creative concept he came up with, but at least this guy is on the same page... "If I'm controlling sports marketing at Federal Express, I would have been more than giddy on Saturday."

JustRalph
06-10-2008, 12:48 AM
That's a classless ad and they would never say something like that. I agree they could come up with something clever.......but that ad in the article is crass. It is beneath a company at the level of Fedex or UPS for that matter.

SeattleSlew@BP
06-10-2008, 04:27 AM
It wasn't until then? Seriously? And here I thought you specifically went out of your way to make an inane comment that contributed absolutely nothing. I should've known that it just came naturally.

Here's a good link: http://www.cnbc.com/id/25060103/site/14081545
I can't say that I like the creative concept he came up with, but at least this guy is on the same page... "If I'm controlling sports marketing at Federal Express, I would have been more than giddy on Saturday."

A "good link" lol

I see a moron who scores a 2 out of 10 in his Photshop Elements skills.

Why don't you start a thread asking why Lowe's doesn't yank their logos from Jimmie Johnson's car on the weeks he doesn't finish the race, in fear of Home Depot running an attack campaign against them?? You would be laughed out of the building.

I know horse racing hasn't had much experience with corporate ad placement, but the point is getting your name in front of viewers, the outcome of the race is inconsequential. Otherwise why would UPS be sponsoring David Reutimann finishing up the track every week in NASCAR?? Believe me, they have had a five week erection over a Derby winner named after them. The deal of the century on exposure.

ryesteve
06-10-2008, 07:04 AM
That's a classless ad.Agreed. Like I said, I didn't care for the concept, despite agreeing with his premise.

Why don't you start a thread asking why Lowe's doesn't yank their logos from Jimmie Johnson's car on the weeks he doesn't finish the race.If it earned him notoriety of being a fraud or a flop, it'd be a valid question; but that's not what happens when someone loses a NASCAR race, so this is an empty analogy.

The Judge
06-10-2008, 08:26 AM
doesn't think like horse players do. They feel sorry for Big Brown they think something is wrong with him or that he must have been hurt they don't think he is a fraud or fake they love horses and think they are noble animals. So I think Valuist is pretty much correct.

This was great for UPS but the proof is in the bottom line will they make more money or not even with the gas problem. I would say they will make more money.

ryesteve
06-10-2008, 09:33 AM
the average person doesn't think like horse players do.You might be right. But I have to say I didn't expect to hear boos as he ran past the grandstand, which, on a big race day, I'd expect to be filled with more "average people" than horseplayers. No pity during the moment, but time can change that.

In any case, I still think it's an interesting question. Unfortunately, a lot of advertising sites are already picking up and running with the CNBC story, which is pretty much a crass execution of a potentially good idea. I think THAT will generate more pity for the horse than the race did.

SeattleSlew@BP
06-10-2008, 01:04 PM
Agreed. Like I said, I didn't care for the concept, despite agreeing with his premise.

If it earned him notoriety of being a fraud or a flop, it'd be a valid question; but that's not what happens when someone loses a NASCAR race, so this is an empty analogy.

David Reutimann for UPS has NEVER won a NASCAR race. A total dud.

There are numerous popular golfers who are considered major tournament flops -- Greg Norman, Sergio Garcia, etc. -- whose sponsors never abandon them after one of their embarrassing national TV meltdowns.

For the few who would actually make a decision on how to send a package based on Big Brown's Belmont, or not buy a certain golf ball based on Garcia's 100th choke job, millions of others don't think that deeply about it, and will only make the product one of their consumer options, knowingly or unknowingly, by having been exposed to it.

ryesteve
06-10-2008, 01:14 PM
For the few who would actually make a decision on how to send a package based on Big Brown's Belmont, or not buy a certain golf ball based on Garcia's 100th choke job, millions of others don't think that deeply about itI agree with you. Hardly anyone thinks that deeply about it. Effective marketing is often supposed to work on a subconscious or subliminal level.

SeattleSlew@BP
06-10-2008, 01:26 PM
I agree with you. Hardly anyone thinks that deeply about it. Effective marketing is often supposed to work on a subconscious or subliminal level.

For every one weirdo who would actually change his express mail habits due to Big Brown's Belmont, millions will now consider UPS as at least an option because of the exposure the Triple Crown gave them.

rrpic6
06-10-2008, 07:28 PM
That's a classless ad and they would never say something like that. I agree they could come up with something clever.......but that ad in the article is crass. It is beneath a company at the level of Fedex or UPS for that matter.

Damn, that guy stole my idea (posted a day earlier than that ad in this thread).
Now that's truely classless! There goes my plans for a major bonus from the USPS.

RR

cj's dad
06-10-2008, 08:09 PM
Hey, FedEx had Tom Hanks and "Cast Away". Bring Tom out in a commercial touting FedEx saying something like 'we go the distance.'

How about Tom Hanks saying for Fed Ex" I may have come home late, but at least I came home"

sally
06-10-2008, 11:19 PM
Ok , if this link works-- guess UPS did ok...

http://tcm.bloodhorse.com/article/45672.htm

SeattleSlew@BP
06-11-2008, 02:35 AM
Ok , if this link works-- guess UPS did ok...

http://tcm.bloodhorse.com/article/45672.htm

Looks like a real marketing blunder

They earned more than the horse in free advertising.

JustRalph
06-11-2008, 03:54 AM
wow,,,,,,,,,, I am trying like hell to stay out of this thread now........ :lol: :lol: :ThmbUp:

ryesteve
06-11-2008, 06:52 AM
Looks like a real marketing blunderIf you think I've been saying they didn't get EXPOSURE, you've successfully lived down to the abysmally low standards you've previously set for yourself. The question from the very beginning was whether the net result of that exposure is good or bad. Three pages of messages, and you can't even understand what the discussion is about. Good work, Einstein.

SeattleSlew@BP
06-11-2008, 12:51 PM
If you think I've been saying they didn't get EXPOSURE, you've successfully lived down to the abysmally low standards you've previously set for yourself. The question from the very beginning was whether the net result of that exposure is good or bad. Three pages of messages, and you can't even understand what the discussion is about. Good work, Einstein.

I know what you're saying, you think the 2 or 3 morons who changed their express mail habits to FedEx because Big Brown's performance was a literal representation of UPS's service will somehow put a dent in the 6 million in advertising equity the company received FREELY. :D

ryesteve
06-11-2008, 02:44 PM
I know what you're sayingEvery word you defecate onto the screen tells me otherwise.

SeattleSlew@BP
06-11-2008, 03:05 PM
In the first post of this thread you referred to Big Brown-UPS relationship as a "marketing blunder".....

A marketing blunder is New Coke or Reebok's Dan and Dave.
A company sinking untold millions into a campaign, and losing their ass on a bad or misunderstood concept.

6 million in free exposure value on a major network is not a marketing blunder.

If someone approached you and said, we like your name, here is 6 million in free betting vouchers -- it's not cash, but it's betting equity, and you can keep anything you make off of them. Whether you walk away with 12 million or 1 million in your pocket, it was a free roll.

To call it a "blunder" and wonder if they should have taken the 6 million in free publicity now, or to believe that a large part of the public will be so despondent over the Belmont results that they change over to FedEX, is so inconceivable it's impossible to think you really believe that. As is thinking that FedEx would actually spend their REAL money (against UPS's free equity) to drum up a counter campaign lol.

ryesteve
06-11-2008, 03:37 PM
You keep throwing around "$6 million" as if it actually supports a conclusion. For the benefit of anyone who's not a trolling jackass and might be confused by this, all they did was tally the airtime and multiply it by the rate card. I could do the same thing and tell you Wendy's got millions worth of free exposure on the nightly news and late night monologues when that woman accused them of putting a finger in her chili. Does that make it a good thing?

Not that Big Brown's race was as bad as giving someone the finger (in their chili), but the point is that free exposure is NOT AUTOMATICALLY A GOOD THING. There's a line someplace. I'm not trying tell anyone that I KNOW on which side of that line the Big Brown fizzle falls, and I've been more than happy to hear the opinions of those who thought otherwise; except in the case of a trolling jackass who's using this thread in a feeble attempt to try to repair his ego.

SeattleSlew@BP
06-11-2008, 04:03 PM
You keep throwing around "$6 million" as if it actually supports a conclusion. For the benefit of anyone who's not a trolling jackass and might be confused by this, all they did was tally the airtime and multiply it by the rate card. I could do the same thing and tell you Wendy's got millions worth of free exposure on the nightly news and late night monologues when that woman accused them of putting a finger in her chili. Does that make it a good thing?

Not that Big Brown's race was as bad as giving someone the finger (in their chili), but the point is that free exposure is NOT AUTOMATICALLY A GOOD THING. There's a line someplace. I'm not trying tell anyone that I KNOW on which side of that line the Big Brown fizzle falls, and I've been more than happy to hear the opinions of those who thought otherwise; except in the case of a trolling jackass who's using this thread in a feeble attempt to try to repair his ego.

You are angry or embarrassed because no one here agrees that getting major national exposure (4 dollars, 5,000 dollars, 6 million, whatever UPS saved not having to spend real money) is a "marketing blunder".

Or the notion that people actually related Big Brown's poor Belmont finish to UPS's services in such an extreme way it was a "Big win for FedEx"

This is something that every other sport sponsor is used to dealing with and shrugging off, including UPS and FedEx -- a big flop by their sponsored player.